Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Useless rules
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Modesitt
What would you say is the most useless rule in the game?

I'm not talking about rules that technically apply, but you don't use, like knockdown and stress. No, I'm talking about rules that don't get used because a situation never occurs in game where it would apply.

My nominee for The Most Useless Rule EVER is the bolded section of the following text.

QUOTE (MITS @ pg 98)
A disrupted spirit cannot reappear on the astral or physical plane for 28 days minus its Force (most likely related to the lunar cycle), with a minimum time of 24 hours

The only time this rule will ever come up is if you have a Force 28 spirit that is discorporated.
Fortune
Or when an Ally Spirit that has been disrupted. It's owner cannot get it back via an Astral Quest until at least 24 hours have passed. This actually has come up in my games.
RunnerPaul
In the Contacts chapter of the old Sprawl Sites book, the listing for Street Kid had a footnote rule that for any Street Kid contact, you were to roll d6 and on a result of 1 or 2, the Street Kid owned a dog.
Critias
Hey, ya never know when you're gonna be broke and hungry!
Modesitt
Or when an Ally Spirit that has been disrupted. It's owner cannot get it back via an Astral Quest until at least 24 hours have passed. This actually has come up in my games.

I went back and re-read the rules to make sure I wasn't mis-remembering. And I'm not. I disagree with the reading that you can't get a spirit back for 24 hours. As far as I can tell, the 24 hours is just in case a Force 28 spirit does occur. A distinct possibility really, if Horrors worked by Spirit rules.

This might be one for the FAQ. Although I doubt it's ever been asked before, so it isn't really a frequently asked question so much as a random question of the intent of the designers.
Ol' Scratch
It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure that there's an Opposed Test using Force somewhere for the spirit to determine just how long it's disrupted. The "28 days minus Force" would be the base time for that test, hence the 24 hour limit making perfect sense.

Unfortunately, I haven't been keeping up with the rules and wouldn't even begin to know where to look for it. I could just be misremembering, too.
Fortune
QUOTE (Modesitt)
I went back and re-read the rules to make sure I wasn't mis-remembering. And I'm not. I disagree with the reading that you can't get a spirit back for 24 hours.

Oh well, even if it isn't actually applied it is still a decent (possibly house) rule for Ally Spirits. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012