Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Guesses to how combat might work
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb)
okay. we've got really different ideas about streamlining, then. to me, adding soak successes to dodge successes is pretty streamlined--much moreso than trying to multiply the weapon's damage by net successes.

*shrug* Less dice rolls. Immediate resolution. Think of it as damage boxes per net success and you'll likely not realize that it's even multiplying. That's why when kids first learn multiplication they start out with the small numbers and do it by adding. 3x2 is 3+3. They begin multiplying before they know that they are.

and the dodge-then-soak method has the added bonus of being easier to wrap your mind around. anybody can understand "okay, i didn't dodge, that means i have to soak." combining dodging and soaking into a single roll is less intuitive.

Sure, if you have 10+ years of playing SR1-3 and you think of it that way.

As i mentioned earlier, SR3 knowledge and mindset is likely going to serious screw with your SR4 mind. The reverse equally so. You'll likely not want to mix playing the two.
mfb
no, i mean it's easier to wrap your mind around if you haven't been an rp'er. it was one of the things that jumped out at me as making lots of sense when i first picked up an SR rulebook.

the five seconds you gain by rolling dodge and soak together isn't, i don't think, worth the loss of that sense-making.
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb @ May 13 2005, 08:59 AM)
no, i mean it's easier to wrap your mind around if you haven't been an rp'er. it was one of the things that jumped out at me as making lots of sense when i first picked up an SR rulebook.

If you say you soak and dodge.

But if you say:

You defend yourself using your abilities, those abilities varying on how you are attacked. There are situational modifiers that alter how well you can defend yourself. When you are attacked with a firearm you avoid and resist damage using your reflexes (Agility) and your body's physical resiliance (Body). So you add those together.

If they have a Body 2 and an Agility 6 they are likely to envision something resembling Neo at the helicopter pad (because, you know, the Matrix is k3wl, and Keanu Reeves is hot, and it's ok to be gay as long as your friends don't know).
mfb
i hear a lot of those same arguments defending Armor Class.
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb)
i hear a lot of those same arguments defending Armor Class.

....and?
mfb
and one of the joys of SR is that it doesn't have such things. because they make less sense. dodging is dodging and soaking is soaking, an ne'r the twain shall meet. most of the people i've introduced to SR--especially the ones that came from D&D/d20--have picked out the seperation of dodge and soak as being a positive quality of the SR ruleset. taking that away seems like a bad idea.
Critias
And please stop insisting that soak-then-dodge is something unique to SR 1-3, and that it's only our close-minded blind adherence to those rules that makes us think it's a good thing. There are lots of games out there that respect their players enough and pay enough polite attention to detail that they, too, differentiate between not getting hit versus getting hit but being tough.

There's streamlining, and then there's being an insultingly simplistic game system.
blakkie
and one of the joys of SR is that it doesn't have such things. because they make less sense.

So SR doesn't have abstraction? Wow.

dodging is dodging and soaking is soaking, an ne'r the twain shall meet. most of the people i've introduced to SR--especially the ones that came from D&D/d20--have picked out the seperation of dodge and soak as being a positive quality of the SR ruleset. taking that away seems like a bad idea.

Separation good, dragging out combat bad.

Besides, for your rolling pleasure if you are having difficulties imagining the scene, you could still follow your own suggestion and roll different dice. *shrug*

And please stop insisting that soak-then-dodge is something unique to SR 1-3, ...

I never said that it was unique to S1-3. What was ment that if you are looking for something because it was there before that it makes it harder to see the other. The preconception created by several years of getting shot at in SR means rolling twice makes it harder to think of it as one roll.

...and that it's only our close-minded blind adherence to those rules that makes us think it's a good thing.

No, it would appear that a desire to play a simulation rather than a game is a factor in this. The closer you try to simulation RealLife the more complex you must make things. That drive to simulation has historically taken over SR rules at times, and would appear to have created things like the vehicle combat rules. Of course what the outcome was was a series of different games within SR. Often many of those sub-games either house ruled into some sort of hand-waving simplicity or simply not played at all.

There are lots of games out there that respect their players enough and pay enough polite attention to detail that they, too, differentiate between not getting hit versus getting hit but being tough.

Frankly i don't feel particularly respected by the SR3 rules. It's telling me that my time isn't important, and that i must learn many different systems and roll multiple times for something that can be done in a cleaner mechanism. Thus i am delayed getting back to, you know, the story.

There's streamlining, and then there's being an insultingly simplistic game system.

mfb didn't seem to think it was simplistic, much less insultingly simplistic. Because multiplying is hard, ya know. :^)
mfb
actually, the reference to Armor Class was intended to convey that the suggested mechanic is insultingly simplistic. comparison to d20 is often what passes for insults on this forum.

i fail to see how rolling one set of die, then the other, drags out combat all that much, when the TN for both will be the same. in SR3, yeah, you could say it slowed things down some because of the different TNs involved. in SR4, though? not so much.
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb @ May 13 2005, 09:44 AM)
actually, the reference to Armor Class was intended to convey that the suggested mechanic is insultingly simplistic. comparison to d20 is often what passes for insults on this forum.

I know the reference to Armor Class was an empty "burn D20" insult. nyahnyah.gif

Did you know that well over 95% of criminals drink water or water based liquids? You don't drink water or water based liquids, do you?

EDIT: BTW, so what is your final verdict on the relative simplicity of what i'm suggesting? rotfl.gif

i fail to see how rolling one set of die, then the other, drags out combat all that much, when the TN for both will be the same. in SR3, yeah, you could say it slowed things down some because of the different TNs involved. in SR4, though? not so much.

It's not just two rolls vs. one. A closer assessment is:

Select dice, roll, decision, record successes, select dice, roll, decision, damage assessment.
Select dice, roll, decision, damage assessment.

And i'll suggest that "five seconds" is not a good assessment of the extra time. Especially if they happen to be exploding dice.
mfb
having done it more times than i can count with variable TNs, i really have to disagree. i have yet to hear anyone (except you) complain that rolling dodge and soak seperately is bulky and time-consuming; therefore, i have a hard time believing that it is bulky and time-consuming.
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb @ May 13 2005, 10:56 AM)
having done it more times than i can count with variable TNs, i really have to disagree. i have yet to hear anyone (except you) complain that rolling dodge and soak seperately is bulky and time-consuming; therefore, i have a hard time believing that it is bulky and time-consuming.
QUOTE (Namergon)
My experience with that is that what's slowing the system is not the number of dice rolled, but the number of dice rolling.

Since two posts below in that thread is a post by you can we assume you read his? If you read his post perhaps you haven't heard anyone (except me) because you don't want to? wink.gif

I don't think everyone would think it an issue. In fact i suspect that a good number of people here don't have a problem with rolling twice. But then again this is a very self-selected group.
mfb
one post? that's your refutation? that shows that you're in a minority of two, instead of being in a minority of one. hardly a compelling reason for change.

but i'll amend my statement. to the best of my memory, i am only aware of two people who complain that rolling a seperate dodge and soak significantly slows the game down.
Crimsondude 2.0
And Dodge is optional.
Critias
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
And Dodge is optional.

Especially if you're in the crowd of people that blows their whole CP the first chance they get -- you'd think the second and subsequent phases would go pretty quick.
Crimsondude 2.0
Oh, yeah. I forgot that everyone just blows their CP all at once.
Critias
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
Oh, yeah. I forgot that everyone just blows their CP all at once.

Which is why none of us should miss it when it's gone!
Crimsondude 2.0
Correction: None of us will miss it when it's gone.
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb @ May 15 2005, 05:36 PM)
one post? that's your refutation? that shows that you're in a minority of two, instead of being in a minority of one. hardly a compelling reason for change.

but i'll amend my statement. to the best of my memory, i am only aware of two people who complain that rolling a seperate dodge and soak significantly slows the game down.

My point would be that you read it without seeing it at all, or saw it and did a memory flush of it very fast (within 2 hours). So what does that suggest about the quality of the "best of [your] memory"?

EDIT: You'll note that the line above that where Namergon talks about extra people commenting on the slowness. So it becomes a situation where people could have an issue with the extra rolling but haven't identified it that specifically. That could push the total up to more than 2 now. nyahnyah.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0 @ May 15 2005, 05:38 PM)
And Dodge is optional.

If that aspect is kept Agility die aren't included in the Pool if they aren't applicable. *shrug*

If you wanted to take the extra time to roll each part separately you still could under my suggestion. But that would kinda work against the streamlining goal. Extra steps and rolls chasing the false hope of simulation of RL is exactly what i hope SR4 does away with.
mfb
i didn't remember it because it doesn't come up very often. people don't remember things that aren't important. besides which, it's not my job to prove that such arguments don't happen; that's impossible. it's your job to prove that they do happen.

and, just to clear up any confusion, here's what Namergon has to say about other people:
QUOTE (Namergon)
Many people thought it was slow because of so many dice to roll.

he was not at all talking about other people complaining that SR was slow because of how the dice are rolled.

blakkie, by your argument, there's no point in rolling a combined dodge/soak at all. why bother with all these stats and figures? why not just give everyone a Shadowrun score, and roll that to see who wins in any given situation? or, heck, why not just flip a coin? the point of any RPG is to simulate reality to greater or lesser degrees--to simulate it as closely as possible, as a matter of fact, without needlessly bulking up the system. seperate dodge/soak doesn't bulk up the system all that much; ergo, i think it should stay.
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb @ May 16 2005, 10:12 AM)
i didn't remember it because it doesn't come up very often.

How do you know that? You seem to have forgotten Namergon quite shortly.
people don't remember things that aren't important.

So what criteria did you use to flag Namergon's comment as unimportant? The "it doesn't fit my view, so he never said it" filter?
besides which, it's not my job to prove that such arguments don't happen; that's impossible. it's your job to prove that they do happen.

My job? To prove? LOL Well i guess i did my "job" quite handily, no? In the process showing that it might acually be your bias that is blocking your vision and/or memory of other such clues.
and, just to clear up any confusion, here's what Namergon has to say about other people:

How about we put the whole paragraph up there.
QUOTE (Namergon)
One of the main complaints about Shadowrun is that it had a slow system. Many people thought it was slow because of so many dice to roll.
My experience with that is that what's slowing the system is not the number of dice rolled, but the number of dice rolling.

He was talking people preceiving a slowness in SR3. However it has been my experience that when people are bothered by something that they do not always see all the way back through the contributing causes. My suggestion is that more than one person might be annoyed by the multiple rolls and not realise it. I would like to emphasis "might".
blakkie, by your argument, there's no point in rolling a combined dodge/soak at all. why bother with all these stats and figures? why not just give everyone a blah, blah, absurd logic, blah...

notworthy.gif notworthy.gif notworthy.gif
No more than your arguement suggests that with each shot fired that a separate roll must be made for each variable condition from the attacker's sighting action, to the attacker holding her breath at the right momement, to the roll check for a skill check for the janitor sweeping up dust from the floor of the factory where the ammo was made.
You aren't suggesting that, are you? spin.gif
mfb
blakkie, you've got two people so far who've said anything that could be interpreted as "rolling dodge and soak seperately is bad": you, and Namergon's indirectly supportive statement. Namergon's references to other people does not support your case, because your case is specifically that people think discrete dodge/soak is bad. most people agree that SR is a bit slow; not everyone agrees on why it's slow, and what could be done to speed it up. find lots of different people saying that, and you'll have a case. until then, you don't.

i, personally, don't remember many people saying anything remotely similar to that. i'm satisfied with that evidence. if you're not, disprove it.
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb)
i, personally, don't remember many people saying anything remotely similar to that. i'm satisfied with that evidence. if you're not, disprove it.

I'm sure you are completely satisfied. Totally and thoroughly. No doubt about that. But i do see you are now down to "don't remember many people". That's good enough for me too, because to start with the part about me being all alone was really not particularly relavent.

Why? Because sometimes i'm reasonably at ease with a large group of people saying that my "answer is clearly at odds with the truth.". nyahnyah.gif
Raskolnikov
You wish.

Besides you've already demonstrated that you don't understand the difference between probability of group trials and group trials broken into discrete steps.
mfb
i'm satisfied because it's impossible to prove a negative. i suppose i could quote every post that doesn't complain about not combining dodge and soak rolls, but that would be retarded.

instead, you should go through and find some posts that back up what you're trying to say. or, alternatively, if you're happy with the fact that nobody agrees with you, you should be quiet. after all, we're talking about making a game that more people want to play; if a proposed change won't make anyone want to play more, then there's no real reason to make the change.
Critias
QUOTE (mfb)
if a proposed change won't make anyone want to play more, then there's no real reason to make the change.

Not that that's slowing them down about anything else, mind you...
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb)
i'm satisfied because it's impossible to prove a negative. i suppose i could quote every post that doesn't complain about not combining dodge and soak rolls, but that would be retarded.

instead, you should go through and find some posts that back up what you're trying to say.

I showed that at least one other person thinks that extra rolls slows SR3 down. You are contending that things weren't slow (i guess once you got in hundreds of sessions of practice?)
or, alternatively, if you're happy with the fact that nobody agrees with you, you should be quiet.

I'm at ease (not nessasarily happy) with not having a lot of people posting that they agree about this. *shrug* But i "should be quiet"? rotfl.gif
after all, we're talking about making a game that more people want to play; if a proposed change won't make anyone want to play more, then there's no real reason to make the change.

Now there is the crux of it. There is a reason for the change. Streamlining. Will Fanpro actually streamline in this particular way (reduce combat resolution to single opposed rolls, as opposed to multistage rolls)? I think they might. I think it would be one good way to speed up the play at the table.
Of course you seem to think that there isn't a need to speed up play and/or reduce the clutter. Fortunately it appears that the developers don't agree with you.
Will they do it exactly as i described? *shrug* Given there are a lot more people putting a lot more time into finding the best procedure i'm guessing that they'll find an even better way of streamlining. I was really just demonstrating that it could be done while keeping the fear and general form of SR combat.
QUOTE (Raskolnikov)
You wish.

You don't always have to be the smartest one in the room to see something that everyone else is missing....at first. I'm use to it happening enough. *shrug*
Besides you've already demonstrated that you don't understand the difference between probability of group trials and group trials broken into discrete steps.

Really? Where would this demonstration be found?
mfb
QUOTE (blakkie)
I showed that at least one other person thinks that extra rolls slows SR3 down. You are contending that things weren't slow...

no, actually, i'm not. i never said that SR3 isn't slow; matter of fact, i said the exact opposite at least once. i'm contending that rolling dodge and soak seperately doesn't slow SR3 down enough that it's worth losing what you get by keeping them seperate. two people isn't much of a trend--one person and a vaguely supportive statement by another isn't a trend at all.

you're missing the point of streamlining, blakkie. FanPro isn't (or shouldn't be) streamlining for streamlining's sake--they are (should be) streamlining in order to make more people want to play the game. hence, we circle back around to the idea that if combining dodge and soak won't bring more players to the game, it's not worth doing. fortunately, the devs don't appear to agree with you, since we've still got lots of different stats and skills and dice to roll, instead of just flipping a coin or playing paper-rock-scissors to determine outcomes. that would, after all, be much more streamlined.
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb @ May 17 2005, 10:01 AM)
you're missing the point of streamlining, blakkie. FanPro isn't (or shouldn't be) streamlining for streamlining's sake--they are (should be) streamlining in order to make more people want to play the game. hence, we circle back around to the idea that if combining dodge and soak won't bring more players to the game, it's not worth doing.

The streamlining is likely being done to speed up the play and shorten the time to learn the basic mechanics of playing....so they can increase the number of people that will play it. So what do you base the assumption of speeding up the game and making the dice rolling easier to learn by removing 3 steps from each attack is not something that could help in that manner? Ah yes, the "5 seconds" you purport. I assume the "5 seconds" that you haven't measured in actual game use, and is based on someone with several years practice.

Instead you suggest to make the mechanics uniform that you -add- 3 steps including an extra dice roll to places that don't already have it?
fortunately, the devs don't appear to agree with you, since we've still got lots of different stats and skills and dice to roll, instead of just flipping a coin or playing paper-rock-scissors to determine outcomes. that would, after all, be much more streamlined.

wobble.gif wobble.gif notworthy.gif notworthy.gif notworthy.gif
mfb
QUOTE (blakkie)
So what do you base the assumption of speeding up the game and making the dice rolling easier to learn by removing 3 steps from each attack is not something that could help in that manner?

we've already gone over why i think this. i'm not going to go over it again.

my suggestion had a lot of bulk, yeah. the first idea that one comes up with isn't always the best idea.
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb @ May 17 2005, 10:56 AM)
my suggestion had a lot of bulk, yeah. the first idea that one comes up with isn't always the best idea.

Of course it had a lot of bulk. To get rid of bulk you have to be willing to cut bulk. Cutting usually hurts.

Sometimes you even have to burn the whole thing to the ground and start again because you've dead-ended, because there is something in the basic premise of the existing that system that is holding you back. I suspect that L-M-S-D and the idea of staging damage (EDIT: and the concept of a base damage for a weapon) is holding back combat.

LMSD is an interesting sequence, it is 1, 1+2, 1+2+3, and 1+2+3+4. This [roughly] follows the quadratic curve (x^2)/2. Given how sharply the number of successes tended to drop off with variable TNs this progresion makes sense. If you are going to change the underlying probabilities LMSD might no longer be the natural choice. Starting off assuming the use of LMSD and staging down handcuffs you, and you start going down old dead-ends....like variable number of successes per stage down.
mfb
...maybe you haven't read my suggestion. it's on page one.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (mfb)
what would be interesting is if they dropped the L/M/S/D progression completely, and went with a simple 1-10 scale. every 3 boxes of damage would impose a the SR4 equivalent of the SR3 +/-1 modifer.

weapons would then have a two-part damage code: a "minimum hit" number, and a wound number. the wound number is simple--it's how many boxes of damage the weapon does by default. the minimum hit would be subtracted from the target's successes when the target attempts to soak a hit from that weapon.

shooter's successes add boxes of damage on a 1-for-1 progression; target's soak successes reduce damage using the same progression, but the target's soak successes would be automatically reduced by the minimum hit number. if i shoot someone with a 3/5 rifle (minimum hit 3, wound 5), and get 3 successes, then the target is looking at 8 boxes of damage. the target then rolls his soak, and gets 5 successes (he's a badass). reduce those 5 success by the minimum hit number, and he ends up with 2 successes; compare them to my attack successes, and i end up with 1 net success, for a total damage to the target of 6 boxes. (obviously, this concept needs to be rebalanced, but i think the basis is sound.)

armor would add dice to the soak test; hardened armor might reduce the minimum hit number. armor-piercing ammo would reduce the number of armor dice a target gets. high-deformation ammo ("EX", hollowpoint, glaser) would reduce the number of soak dice a target gets.

for added realism (and also complexity), you could have different weapon types be partially armor-piercing. for instance, anything using pistol rounds works normally; anything that uses rifle rounds subtracts two dice from the target's armor; anything that uses rifle rounds really well (sniper rifles, basically) reduces the target's armor dice by three; and so on.

This one?
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb @ May 17 2005, 10:40 PM)
...maybe you haven't read my suggestion. it's on page one.

Sorry, i missed adding in there third item of a fixed number for the base damage for a weapon. Somewhat related to LMSD, but not the same. Basically you are trying to shoehorn a different type of dice rolling into the old procedures. The same SR3 procedure steps are there. You are just changing a few numbers (for example replacing a 6 with a 5 for the base damage), and trying to convert a die roll ment for variable TN to fixed TN.

EDIT: The LSMD comment was more directed elsewhere, not to you mfb. My bad.
mfb
okay.
Crimsondude 2.0
What?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012