Full Version: No Adept Love?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Superbum
Taken from the description of SR4:

Shadowrun, Fourth Edition®
Stock #: FPR 26000
The Shadows Have Evolved.

The year is 2070. The world is not only Awakened ­it’s wired. Cyber and bioware implants make your meat body better-than-flesh, while the wireless Matrix enhances your perceptions with hyper-real senses. Deals are made in steel and lead more often than gold or nuyen; success and failure live only a razor’s edge apart. Creatures of myth and legend walk the streets, while the arcane skills of spellslingers are in high demand. Above it all, monolithic megacorps bleed the world dry, sabotaging each other in covert cutthroat competition as they go to war over the bottom line.

You’re a shadowrunner, a street operative, scratching out a living on the mean sprawl streets. You may be human, elf, dwarf, ork or troll. From lethal street samurai to well-connected info brokers, spell-slinging mages or code-cracking hackers. No matter what, you’re a professional ­corporate pawn or “deniable asset,” you get the job done.

Shadowrun, Fourth Edition offers a completely new rules system that is simple, integrated and accessible. The state-of-the-art has also been advanced, introducing a new level of augmented reality, new gear, new magical discoveries, and more.

This hardcover rulebook contains all the rules gamemasters and players need to create characters and ongoing adventures set in the popular Shadowrun universe. Note that the Shadowrun, Fourth Edition will replace the Shadowrun, Third Edition rules set. Source material from previous editions will still be compatible.

Releasing August 2005

Ok. I am just as hyped as the next person but it looks like yet again, Adepts will get no love from the developers.

In SR3, minus fluff powers they use for book filler, there are less than 5 pages worth of Adept information or game mechanics. This includes every publicated book in SR3. At one point in time, Otaku had more information and rules in the system.

Then myself and others begin developing a fanbook for Adepts, simply called the Adept Sourcebook. We get tons of hype generated and we even get into conversation with Rob and others about the book in hopes of actually getting NEW and IMPROVED content published. Yet, we get a proposal back from Fanpro that states we would have to drop almost our entire book and just submit some fluff and random powers. Needless to say I left the sourcebook project at that time and actually had quit reading these forums as well. Shortly after, SotA 2064 comes out and I see all the powers we worked on in the sourcebook minus the real guts of our material. Joy.

Then bored I find SR4 is in the works and I went bonkers trying to find any info I could, like most of you. Yet, while most of what I have seen intrigues me, the fact that Adepts aren't even hinted on the back cover eludes to the upcoming 10 or fewer pages that Adepts will receive in the Magic section of the book. Joy.

I can only pray someone developing or playtesting reads this. I know that Adepts might be pretty simplified already and its your aim to streamline the rules but you guys have to understand that a lot of your fans really enjoy playing Adepts and there is next to nothing about them.

Thanks
mmu1
First of all, let me say that I think that you're reading far too much into a PR release that's almost all fluff.

However, it sounds to me like what you're asking for is basically more power creep, and that's really bad for the game.

Yes, every archetype should have different and interesting powers... But a lot of people who play adepts seem to think that adepts getting "enough love" means there should be a power to do anything else someone can do through mundane or cyber means - only better.

One of the few things I still look forward to with SR4 is the blank slate when the main book comes out, and the flood of unnecessary supplements hasn't arrived yet.
Synner
Superbum - For the record what you've posted is incorrect, misleading and misrepresenting what happened. The Adepters original proposal (for an Adept book) was clearly and flatly turned down. It implied revising the whole way Adepts worked and were powered from the ground up and did so with yet another unique mechanical framework - something FanPro wasn't apparently interested in. What was said at the time was that FanPro was thinking of including an Adept chapter in SOTA64 and they'd be interested in getting a proposal for that. The latter proposal went through mostly as pitched and, for better or worse, was approved over several other proposals I might add. Furthermore you participated in various discussions involving the second proposal after the first had been shot down.

But getting to your other point. I find it unlikely Adepts will get more space in SR4 than they have had in previous edition's base books given the amount of stuff that needs to be crammed into this one. How much stuff will appear in an eventual Magic book is still completely up in the air though.
Superbum
I am far from a power gamer, friend, and I am not asking for more powers or abilities. I am actually upset over all the stupid powers they add to books in an effort to give Adepts "content".

I just find it dumb that you can explain the rules for an archetype in 1 short paragraph and consider it complete.
mfb
as much as i think adepts need more stuff, i think a list of powers about the same length as that in SR3 will work fine. i think the list should be changed, though; the SR3 list cubbyholes adepts into physical adepts; replacing some of the powers on that list with some of those from MitS and SotA:64 would be great.
Critias
So you don't want more powers or abilities, but you want more rules? Perverse and contrary.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (mfb)
as much as i think adepts need more stuff, i think a list of powers about the same length as that in SR3 will work fine. i think the list should be changed, though; the SR3 list cubbyholes adepts into physical adepts; replacing some of the powers on that list with some of those from MitS and SotA:64 would be great.

Personally, I think they should be cubbyholed, but each to his or her own.

~J
Critias
Well, it'd be kind of silly to try and recubbyhole them. They've been let outta the box, for better or worse they're staying.
Superbum
Superbum - What you've post is incorrect, misleading and misrepresenting what happened. The Adepters original proposal (for an Adept book) was clearly and flatly turned down - it implied revising the whole way Adepts worked and were powered from the ground up and did so with yet another unique mechanical framework.

You are correct and I did not intend to mislead anyone. However, yes, we threw actual game mechanics at them where none existed and it was turned down. When they proposed that we give them some flavor text and powers for the upcoming SotA book I promptly left the project.

What was said at the time was that FanPro was thinking of including an Adept chapter in SOTA64 and they'd be interested in getting a proposal for that. The latter proposal went through mostly as pitched and, for better or worse, was approved over several other proposals I might add.

Then at least something good came from our ill-fated project.

But getting to your other point. I find it unlikely Adepts will get more space in SR4 than they have had in previous edition's base books given the amount of stuff that needs to be crammed into this one. How much stuff will appear in an eventual Magic book is still completely up in the air though.

Hence my orignal post. Even with a new system and fresh look it appears that Adepts will once again get the shaft and will be made up of page fillers in later books.
Skyrock
I'm fine with the actual quantity of powers and rules for adepts.

They could get more fluff and background, but that's nothing specific for adepts - that's something I'm thinking about all the magic traditions.
Superbum
QUOTE (Critias)
So you don't want more powers or abilities, but you want more rules?  Perverse and contrary.

I simply just want clarity and actual game mechanics.
Critias
Right. Well, the clarification and game mechanics for what Adepts do are called "powers and abilities." I mean, it's a little misleading that way, I guess, but there you have it. The lists of their powers and abilities are how you define and clarify what they can do, using game mechanics.

Well, that was easy. Glad I could help. My work here is done.
Superbum
QUOTE (Critias)
Right. Well, the clarification and game mechanics for what Adepts do are called "powers and abilities." I mean, it's a little misleading that way, I guess, but there you have it. The lists of their powers and abilities are how you define and clarify what they can do, using game mechanics.

Well, that was easy. Glad I could help. My work here is done.

I'm so glad I tried posting again after my hiatus. Instead of constructive posts I get this. Thanks.
Grinder
I never had the impression that adepts have too less powers to chose from. They can be as powerful and versatile as a good street sam (comparisions with mages, deckers and riggers are a no-go). And since sota:2064 they can be good at all field, adding lot more fields to chose from. They're far away from becoming a one-trick-pony... ANd i heavyly doubt that this will change with 4th edition.

All i can say: more power to the mundanes! biggrin.gif
mfb
superbum, maybe if you explained what the hell you mean by "mechanics, but not new powers", you wouldn't get so much flak. since, as it stands, adept mechanics are defined by a list of powers.
mmu1
QUOTE (Grinder)
And i heavyly doubt that this will change with 4th edition.

I sincerely hope that it will. The awakened step on too many damn toes as it is, and the divide between magic and technology could use strengthening. The last thing we need is a setting where magicians can do anything a mundane could do, including rigging and decking... (with tons of bonus dice!)
Kagetenshi
I think Seiler and I have to apologize for subjecting you to Alex and Gem smile.gif

~J
mmu1
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Apr 8 2005, 02:47 PM)
I think Seiler and I have to apologize for subjecting you to Alex and Gem smile.gif

~J

What, you mean for making me play with characters I clearly hate so much, or for subjecting me to such unbelieavable twinkage I turned reactionary? biggrin.gif

Last time I checked, Alex wasn't awakened, and Gem doesn't deck magically - she has a datajack, like every other decent person. nyahnyah.gif
Critias
Deckers are decent people?
Sharaloth
I sincerely hope that it will. The awakened step on too many damn toes as it is, and the divide between magic and technology could use strengthening. The last thing we need is a setting where magicians can do anything a mundane could do, including rigging and decking... (with tons of bonus dice!)

I see this a lot and I can't agree with it.

Magic, as it is now, does not step on anybody's toes. It can do magical things, technology can do technological things, and people who aren't awakened and have no cyber can do neither. Can you use magic to deck (hack now)? Nope. Can a magician also deck? Yes, so long as he pays the skill points/karma and money to get the tech, he can. Can an Adept move as fast as a Street sam? Yup, his magic lets him do that. Can an adept use a smartlink? Yes, so long as he pays the essence and power-point costs of getting the cyberware. Can you use magic to drive a vehicle like a Rigger? No, not even close. Can a magician drive a vehicle like a Rigger? Yes, if they pay the essence and money cost for the VCR and the vehicle and the skill point/ karma cost for the vehicle skill, sure.

The divide between magic and technology is pretty strong as-is. Any furthar segregation and the archetypes start becoming classes. Magicians already pay bucketloads for their power, and if they branch out they have to sacrifice on their magical ability. Just because a mundane can't later become Awakened does not mean the Awakened are stepping on their toes.

edit:Wait a minute, did I miss the sarcasm by chance? Or was my evaluation of the intent of the quote right?
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Critias)
Deckers are decent people?

If you define "decent" broadly enough....
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (mmu1)
What, you mean for making me play with characters I clearly hate so much, or for subjecting me to such unbelieavable twinkage I turned reactionary? biggrin.gif

Last time I checked, Alex wasn't awakened, and Gem doesn't deck magically - she has a datajack, like every other decent person. nyahnyah.gif

Well, considering that you've ranted about Renaissance Riggers and Riggerdeckerfacemages… I mean, it's not like we know any of them, do we? wink.gif

~J
mmu1
QUOTE (Sharaloth @ Apr 8 2005, 02:54 PM)
Just because a mundane can't later become Awakened does not mean the Awakened are stepping on their toes.

Sure it does. With Geasa in the picture, one subset of characters gets to pick from the best of both worlds, the other one doesn't. I sure as hell wish I could channel a small part of my Street Sam's resources to get an Armor spell that'd only work if I had a talisman I carried with me. wink.gif

The awakened should pay a much larger price (in terms of technological restrictions) for the flexibility and the unlimited (compared to the heavily tech-dependent mundanes) potential for growth than they do now.
mmu1
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Well, considering that you've ranted about Renaissance Riggers and Riggerdeckerfacemages… I mean, it's not like we know any of them, do we? wink.gif

~J

Well... If you feel so bad about it, you could release some of the twinkier cyberware into the game world, and we'll call it even. biggrin.gif
Sharaloth
Sure it does. With Geasa in the picture, one subset of characters gets to pick from the best of both worlds, the other one doesn't.

The awakened should pay a much larger price (in terms of technological restrictions) for the flexibility and the unlimited (compared to the heavily tech-dependent mundanes) potential for growth than they do now.

Bulldreck. Everyone's got flexibility, and the law of diminishing returns affects the Awakened as much as it does everyone else, and sucks their Karma like a first night vampire latched onto a hemophiliac. The Awakened don't get to pick from the best of both worlds, they get to struggle like hell to keep up with both, or be comfortably powerful in one at the cost of the other. The Awakened already pay through the nose for their power, and I'm cool with that, but upping that cost? That's going to the point of rediculous. So you don't want anyone playing awakened characters in your game? Fine, you do that. Me, I'm hoping they're going to make playing an Awakened character slightly less costly, especially with the move to a point-based character creation system.
Rev
I read the stuff from that "Adept sourcebook" project on the web... ugh. It was enormous... my eyes glazed over before I had even skimmed 1/3 of it. Sort of like reading the rules parts of rigger 3.
Critias
QUOTE (Rev)
I read the stuff from that "Adept sourcebook" project on the web... ugh. It was enormous... my eyes glazed over before I had even skimmed 1/3 of it. Sort of like reading the rules parts of rigger 3.

There's stuff besides rules in Rigger 3?
mmu1
QUOTE (Sharaloth @ Apr 8 2005, 03:21 PM)
Bulldreck. Everyone's got flexibility, and the law of diminishing returns affects the Awakened as much as it does everyone else, and sucks their Karma like a first night vampire latched onto a hemophiliac. The Awakened don't get to pick from the best of both worlds, they get to struggle like hell to keep up with both, or be comfortably powerful in one at the cost of the other. The Awakened already pay through the nose for their power, and I'm cool with that, but upping that cost? That's going to the point of rediculous. So you don't want anyone playing awakened characters in your game? Fine, you do that. Me, I'm hoping they're going to make playing an Awakened character slightly less costly, especially with the move to a point-based character creation system.

Yes... My hearts bleeds for the awakened, because they actually have the option of spending karma to initiate, and to buy new spells, thus getting shiny new abilities, while a mundane can... sink around 30 karma into getting a single lousy active skill from 0 to 6, and needs a few million nuyen.gif to upgrade any major cyberware beyond what he got at chargen.

Mundanes, unless the GM throws unlimited amounts of money at them, have shit for flexibility (beyond whatever you build in at character creation). They hit the point of diminishing returns once chargen ends and actual play starts.

And for the record - I don't want to make being a magician more expensive, I just want to make it more expensive for a magician to stick his nose into the world of cyberware, where, were it not for the need to print new supplements, it should have never belonged in the first place.
Rev
Theres the lists of vehicles, and some interesting fluff parts... but yea the way to enjoy the book is to just pretend you didn't see any pages containing the word "flux".

What I would hope to see in sr4 for adepts is a few more core book powers and to have some of the powers that suck such that almost nobody ever uses them (attribute boost, combat sense) pumped up such that they are actually good.
Fortune
QUOTE (Rev)
I read the stuff from that "Adept sourcebook" project on the web... ugh. It was enormous... my eyes glazed over before I had even skimmed 1/3 of it.

Which Adept Sourcebook project? There were a few around at one time, and the one that Superbum is refering to was hosted in private on the Underworld forum.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Critias)
There's stuff besides rules in Rigger 3?

Yep. There's the Developer's Say, and the first few pages where they talk about the society, and… um… some descriptions? Pictures? Page numbers?

~J
Rev
May not have been the same one? They tried to get it published and were rejected and somone posted a link to a html or pdf version of the what they had done maybe a year and a half ago. Had some sort of system with adeptness split up into various higher level powers that let you get access to lower level powers... Pillars? Ehh can't remember enough of it to describe.
Fortune
Sounds similar, but I don't recall it ever being leaked in public. Do you still have a copy, or a link?
Rev
No, I think I linked to it from a post here on dumpshock from somebody upset about it being rejected. Quite possible that it was a different proposal though, it is reasonable to expect some of them may have been similar enough to sound the same in the extreemly hazy memory I have of the thing.

I thought it must have been the same one because they actually obviously did a significant amount of work (it was a whole book of material), most such projects produce far less than that, and I vaguely followed the whole thing from its inception so the timeframe seemed right to me but perhaps it's just coincidence.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (mmu1)
QUOTE (Sharaloth @ Apr 8 2005, 02:54 PM)
Just because a mundane can't later become Awakened does not mean the Awakened are stepping on their toes.

Sure it does. With Geasa in the picture, one subset of characters gets to pick from the best of both worlds, the other one doesn't. I sure as hell wish I could channel a small part of my Street Sam's resources to get an Armor spell that'd only work if I had a talisman I carried with me. wink.gif

I'm not going to enter the argument per se, but you act like geasa are easy things for an Awakened character to maintain. If you find that they are, then your GM is too easy on you. If you're the GM, then you're doing something wrong, IMO. Geasa are restrictions, and should be treated as such. They're not free rides for an Awakened character to load up on the goodies, as you seem to be saying.
Sharaloth
QUOTE (mmu1)
while a mundane can... sink around 30 karma into getting a single lousy active skill from 0 to 6,

What the heck type of game do you play where taking a skill from 0 to 6 isn't that important? In what way is having a skill of 6 in whatever less than gaining a single point (or maybe 2!) of magic and a metamagical technique that usually only helps you against other Awakened characters.

Magician initiates (let's say twice) and gets two new points of magic. Cool, he can now cast force 8 spells without taking physical drain, that's gotta be cool, right? Well, he's got to learn the spell first, but he'll figure out some way.. when he gets more Karma ('Cause you know, the spells you buy at the local Magic shop get the crappy markup for being illegal beyond force 2, and so the best way is to design it yourself, but for that you need a spell design skill of at least 8, and a Sorcery Library or Shamanic lodge of the same rating or better, and those are expensive! And then it's a target number 16 to learn the damn thing, but if you make it exclusive you can get that down to 12, and it'll take you months to get it all right, and heaven forbid you get a deadly wound at some point and have to roll a 9 or better on 2D6, meaning you've got a 1 in 4 chance of NOT having to geas yourself and lose some flexibility in the meantime...). The Mundane decides to get an SMG skill up to 6. Now he's a professional with an SMG, can throw 6 combat pool into a shot, and can generally kick righteous ass with that 'lousy' actice skill, and he's probably got a smartlink too, the twinky little bastard.

Yeah, I reject most of what you have to say on the grounds of it being ludicrous.
Kagetenshi
They're not free rides, but they're not difficult to maintain unless your GM is going out of his or her way to target them, and plausibility be damned.

~J
Fortune
QUOTE (Rev)
No, I think I linked to it from a post here on dumpshock from somebody upset about it being rejected. Quite possible that it was a different proposal though, it is reasonable to expect some of them may have been similar enough to sound the same in the extreemly hazy memory I have of the thing.

I thought it must have been the same one because they actually obviously did a significant amount of work (it was a whole book of material), most such projects produce far less than that, and I vaguely followed the whole thing from its inception so the timeframe seemed right to me but perhaps it's just coincidence.

If it specifically mentioned Pillars (and obviously it did, as you wouldn't pull that out of thin air), then it was the same one.
Rev
Must have been then, Pillars was the most distinctive thing I could remember.

It might have made a good roleplaying game about adepts, but was just heading down the path of completely different rulesets for each class in shadowrun.
Fortune
Yep, and I argued against it tooth-and-nail! I thought the concept was good, but in my opinion it wasn't a good idea for Shadowrun.

Unfortunately, for unrelated personal reasons, I had to drop out of the project just before Synner began collating the data for the eventual submission for SotA 64. frown.gif
Superbum
Yes, you guys are talking about the correct book. I think I might have some of the files on my computer still but I am unsure if the group signed anything after I left the group because they did use some of the material in SotA 2064 (almost that whole Adept chapter came from the project), so I am currently unsure of what of the project is considered Fanprp property (besides the obvious stuff).
Paul
Long time no see Superbum!
Superbum
QUOTE (Paul)
Long time no see Superbum!

Yeah. Take a vacation from the real world only to come back and start arguments on accident. It's been a great day so far.
Fortune
I think the Yahoo Group still exists, and that should have everything still in it. I know that the private forum(s) are still around, if you want to check them out again.
mfb
i like that basic concept, honestly. they way i'd do it is, i'd give each Way (since everybody's familiar with the concept) a list of 10-20 powers that they get, say, a 25% discount on. if you wanted to get really detailed, you could even put in a list of powers that are particularly antithetical to a given Way, which cost 25% more. that would make adepts similar to shamans--they're not restricted from doing anything, but they do have strong points and weak points.
Superbum
QUOTE (mfb)
superbum, maybe if you explained what the hell you mean by "mechanics, but not new powers", you wouldn't get so much flak. since, as it stands, adept mechanics are defined by a list of powers.

Thats my problem with Adepts, though. Everyone considers their list of powers their only deciding mechanics. Plus, with how Geasa work with Adepts, they have just turned into everyone's twink toy where they can min/max an adept who uses guns better than a fully decked out sammy. It gets to the point to where, with a bad GM, that you have to be an adept to be a good street samurai. I have left several shadowrun groups because of this factor.

When Adepts are played correctly they can be loads of fun and still balanced with the party. Yet, the rules are too simplified and not clear cut which leads to a lot of GMs deciding things work differently then they really do.

How do magical adepts work? Should magical adepts even exist? How does Geasa work with Adepts? When should adepts be allowed to take Geasa? I can tell you now that tons of GMs will give you different answers to these simple questions. There are even instances where it says you need to make magic checks and instances where it implies there are none needed. Rules that are slung around in no clear order confuse GMs and players suffer. This was one of the main reasons we ever started the old Adept Sourcebook project to begin with, albeit the people in the group eventually split into two different directions.

What the old group did is probably not what Adepts needed. I can look back now and see that, but at least we traveled in the right direction in an attempt to give clear and cut mechanics.
Superbum
QUOTE (Rev)
It might have made a good roleplaying game about adepts

I might just do that. Tweak the rules and start working on my own setting.
mfb
while i agree that there are some fairly unclear and bass-ackwards rules concerning adepts, i'm not sure i see what you're talking about. what should adepts be defined by, if not their powers? to me, their powers are--or should be--what makes them special; everything else should be secondary to, and supportive of, those powers.
DrJest
QUOTE (mfb)
i like that basic concept, honestly. they way i'd do it is, i'd give each Way (since everybody's familiar with the concept) a list of 10-20 powers that they get, say, a 25% discount on. if you wanted to get really detailed, you could even put in a list of powers that are particularly antithetical to a given Way, which cost 25% more. that would make adepts similar to shamans--they're not restricted from doing anything, but they do have strong points and weak points.

Love this idea. Seriously, and I realise that it can be hard to tell sarcasm online, so to be clear: I genuinely think this is a good idea and always have.

It'll come as no surprise to anyone that I agree here as well. The ability to geas away the loss from chucking a crapload of cyber in yourself stinks like five day old haddock. I'm not, I like to think, an unreasonable GM; if you get crapped on and have to take a geas or two, I'm not going to make your life miserable. Take three or four points of cyber to munch yourself out, and I think I'd have a tough time being Mr. Nice GM about it - if I even allowed it in the first place, which I probably wouldn't. there are exceptions, there always are; but the only one I can think of right now is a character mfb (? I think) described that had a good roleplaying background for cybered talisman geasa.
mmu1
QUOTE (Sharaloth @ Apr 8 2005, 03:49 PM)
What the heck type of game do you play where taking a skill from 0 to 6 isn't that important? In what way is having a skill of 6 in whatever less than gaining a single point (or maybe 2!) of magic and a metamagical technique that usually only helps you against other Awakened characters.

Uh... That'd be a game in which people generally don't create incompetent characters.

This is Shadowrun. Skills are hideously expensive, so if it matters, you get it at (or near) the rating you plan on sticking with throughout your career during character generation - everything else falls into the "nice to have, but not essential" category.

What the hell of a game do you play in that getting a redundant weapon skill is worth more than spending 30 karma on either boosting your magic rating or expanding your spell selection? sarcastic.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012