Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: When the Drek hits the turbo-fan
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Boardom
So we started Survival of the Fittest last night.

(( no spoilers ))

We found ourselves in New Tokyo going after a certain item. After a quick recon we judged the meat security to be slight so decided to proceed with the heist. My decker "Dire Wolf" gets into the the building's matrix from an outside location, begins locating and taking over slaves such as the security camaras, elvevators, mag locks. I call up our team, who is waiting outside with an invisible Troll, and say "Hit 'em now you drek heads, I don't know how much time I've got!"

They walk in just as a squad of Knight Errant in heavey armor show up. Through the japenese they understand "decker" and " [name of hotel where my decker is] " I'm watching and hearing this on the cameras.

There is a quick "panic/wtf ! " moment.

I know I've been traced so I open up the elevator door, count to ten, trusting the troll will go in, then send it up. The other runners are quickly backing out trying not to draw attention and such. The goon teck. tries to stop the elevator, can't, so decides to re-boot their whole damn system. I get hit with 10S dump shock and fail to stage it down.

I pack up my deck and say "time to get the hell outta here!" Stumbling down the back stairwell trying to clear my head, I crack the door and see that there are cops everywhere, even some heading toward the door I'm peeking through. I call up my fellas [headwear phone] and say, "One Dwarf, needing extraction immeditately." I slap a stim patch on, then run up to the 2nd floor, pick a random door and step in [ picking lock] just as the cops come up the stair well door. I thought I had made it, but then there is knocking on the door. I pull back the hammer of my Ruger Super WarHawk and wait. I hear in Japenese, "open the door or we will open fire." Crap. There must be at least 3 cops in heavey sec. armor so I've got no chance. I'm only on the 2nd floor. I run toward the window give it a shot and crash through it, landing on the side walk and reisisting the damage. ! The room behind me erupts in automatic fire and a stun grenade.

Two cops on the corner turn toward me and speak into their mics.

Meanwhile our invisible is doing well in his progress toward the item. The team dispatches our "Face" two get me while two remain on station to assist the troll if needed. The troll ended up getting the item. . . run succesful.

The cops tell me to "Freeze" etc. . .so I run into traffic narrowly avoiding cars. They give chase. I manage to lose one of them. The damn human is gaining on our dwarven hero so I shoot out some car tires on a busy Tokyo street making a hell of a wreck. Undeterrred, the cop jumps on the hood of one of the cars and tags me with a burst for a medium wound. I run some more but hear a chopper coming. I have to waste the cop. I take aim as he runs at me and pull off a called shot to the head. . but it's only a serious wound! The damn cop fires two bursts making me unconcious and bleeding.

A few minutes later our "Face" gets to the street where he sees some DocWagon medics stablizing me while two cops wait to take custody. The "Face" floors it and runs the two cops over, screeches to a halt and throws my ( bloody) silk suit wearing butt in the car. There is some more copter chasiing and such, but we escape.

Lessons Learned:

1. Always, always, always have somebody with decker's meat bod to help.
2. The odds are stacked against new deckers. Even with nuyen.gif 1 mil. you can't by the deck and the programs to handle hard systems.
3. Run "relocate" program for the hell of it because you could be being traced without know it.
TinkerGnome
4. Get a sat link and run through freesat. They can trace you to the satellite but they'll never get any farther. But you have to be good enough to get to get past the Scramble IC, and log in without generating more than a couple points of tally or it isn't worth it.

I was under the impression that you had to be attacked by Trace IC before you could be traced... but maybe I'm missing something.
Boardom
[ consults rule book ]

Well skin me and run me up the mountian. . . he sure as hell does have to attack to trace me.

[ calls GM ]
Kesh
Check out the "Idiot's Guide to the Matrix" thread... they do a good job of explaining how Trace IC can 'attack' without looking like it. Maybe your GM did that?

Or he/she just screwed up. biggrin.gif
Crimson Jack
I'm on the last chapter of SotF. Where is this encounter in the game? Something your GM made up for a side adventure or something?
FlakJacket
Could well be the adventure outline that was on the Shadowrun site called 'The Famil Jewel' IIRC. It's meant to be set in Japan so it sounds likely- or the GM just decided top add some of their own stuff. smile.gif
Fix-it
Sounds like you got the planning good though. Drek happens.
Boardom
Actually. . I just found out that this was a pre-quel to the SotF downloaded for free from the Shadowrun folks. It did seem awfully small to be the first chapter.
Crimson Jack
Ahhh, I was unaware of this. Thanks! smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012