Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mac OS X Pocket Secretary now online
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Community Projects
ShadowGhost
OK, here's the Beta version of the GM Pocket Secretary, ready for download.

This only works on Apple's OS X, and has only been tested with Panther 10.3.9. There's no PC version, sorry.

Comes stuffed, and inside the folder is the app, two folders, manual, and read me file. There's nothing to install.

You MUST keep the SR3 GM Character Files folder in the same folder as the application in order to import character files (extension .SR3c). Do not rename this folder.

The reason why this cannot change is because the program is set up to import multiple files at the same time - you select the folder to import from, and then you are given a list of all importable files. You can select 1, 2, 10 or as many character files to import at once as you want.

You can store and open game files (extension .SR3g) anywhere if you like, but it's probably more convenient to just save them in the supplied "SR3 GM Saved Files" folders

The above is no longer necessary with version 1.5 - there's no need to keep files in a specific folder. This makes it easier and more convenient to store character files in individual folders - so you won't have 50 different character files for all different kinds of runs in one folder.

You can keep Ganger files in a ganger folder, or have a folder for Lone Star with everything from beat cops to a cybered adept elite SWAT unit.

ShadowGhost's Mac OS X GM Shadowrun Software

My contact info is in the Read Me file included.

Download size is 2.3 MB, and includes the manual.
ShadowGhost
Beta Version 1.0.1 is now up.... Fixed a bug for Attacker Movement selection. It kept resetting to default, while still adding in TN modifiers for what you originally selected.

Adam
hey ShadowGhost, you want me to announce this on the front page of Dumpshock?
ShadowGhost
That sounds great Adam - rather than listing the URL for the program download itself, would you mind showing the URL for the site? This way, when I have more time to revamp the site (and finally figure out Go Live), I can move things around without screwing up a directly linked URL.

Thanks Adam!
ShadowGhost
Beta Version 1.0.2 is now up.... Fixed bug in Armor Combo box that caused the app to crash if you clicked on it, but didn't select a new piece of Armor.

Make that Version 1.0.3 - Fixed Synthetic and Real Leather armor values.

ShadowGhost
Version 1.04 - Fixed Bug in Add Active or Knowledge Skills in the Edit Character window that caused mulitple copies of skills to appear in Active or Knowledge Skills lists

Also change code to allow selecting and deleting multiple skills at once, instead of one at a time.

ShadowGhost
Version 1.05 is now up

Fixed Import/Export problem. You can now import or export files to any folder you choose - You no longer need to keep specifically named folders - you can keep files in any folder you like.
Kagetenshi
Going to be using it in this evening's run, then running it through as much testing as I can provide. Will list any and all bugs as they're found.

Got one, sorta: the active skills list doesn't find-as-you-type (for instance, if I click in the list and type "sor" it doesn't bring me to sorcery). This isn't exactly a bug, so if it's too much work don't bother, but it'd make a smoother workflow.

Also in the human-interface department, I'd suggest either dividing the skills into clearly-labeled categories or making them entirely alphabetic, as well as supporting adding skills by double-clicking instead of just click-dragging.

Also, specialization support.

Another issue: during the create character phase if I add some active skills (Computers and Clubs, say) and then click ok, and then go back again [edit: using the Add Active Skills button] and add in Etiquette, it'll be overwritten so the only listed skill is Etiquette. Also, when entering a skill level hitting return causes an error beep until the skill level entry field is brought out of focus (by clicking elsewhere, for instance). It should either confirm the entry and bring the field out of focus or confirm the entry and activate the default button (Ok, in this case).

~J
ShadowGhost
Thanks Kagetenshi - I'll see what I can do about adding in typing to zoom down to the various skills, rather than scrolling through everything.

For specialization - The program can't tell the difference between a skill, and a specialization.

What I've been doing, say in the case pistlols 4, with a specialization of Ares Predator II 6, is entering two skills:

Pistols 4
Pistols - Ares Predator III 6

I add two spaces in front of the specialization, and keep them below the related skill.

I also plan to changed the Added skills listbox so you can double click on a skill you've added, and then type in a new name, or edit a skill you've added manually that may be mispelled etc.

Thanks for the feedback, and I'll check out the overwriting of existing skills when you want to add a new one.

**Edit**

I wasn't able to duplicate the overwriting skills you mentioned - which version are you using? My last update was Version 1.0.5
Kagetenshi
I'm using 1.0.5. Lemme get my exact… ah, it just crashed on me. Let me give instructions on recreating the bug, then I'll post the crashlog at the bottom. I'll let you know if it happens again or if it was isolated.

Open program, create new character, click the Add Active Skills button. Add Pistols, Projectile Weapons, Rifles all at 6. Click OK. Click Add Active Skills again. You'll notice that the list on the right is blank now. Add Shotguns at 6, click OK. The only listed active skill will be Shotguns.

~J

[ Spoiler ]
ShadowGhost
Version 1.0.6 is now up!

Fixed bug that overwrote the skills as Kagetenshi note, Active Skills are now in alphabetical order, you can type the first few letters to take you to that skill, instead of scrolling, and hit return adds that skill to your Active (or Knowledge) skills added to character.

In the Add Skills windows, skills added can also be double-clicked to edit them.

Thanks for testing it out and helping me find the bugs, and make improvements.
Kagetenshi
I didn't end up using it extensively tonight, but I'm going to add in a few games' worth of characters later today and do some more testing. Thanks for the quick fixes and the program in the first place smile.gif

~J
prionic6
Nice app! I noticed that the combo boxes work, but do not show your selection. For example when I have 2 characters and choose the second from the box in the top left it gets chosen (its data is everywhere), but the box will still display the name of the first char.

Also it would be nice to have Attributes dived up in unaugumented/augumented, I know there is not much space left but maybe it could be entered and displayed as eg. 5/7.

Do you have your Strings in a special file or are they part of the interface? I'm asking this because it would be nice to be able to translate it to german wink.gif

Keep up the good work!
ShadowGhost
Thanks for the comments guys. I've made a couple more revisions revisions to the program.

Combat Pool now shows how much a character has left, rather than their total combat pool.

Karma Pool amount is fixed in Create New Character Window. (kept reseting to to one, or none!?!) when you went back to the main window.

There's a couple other minor fixes as well, bringing it to Beta Version 1.0.7

I'm running a game tonight, so I'll be making notes of other things to change or fix.

Prionic6 - can you show a screen capture of what you mean?

Strings are part of the interface.

Once most of the bugs are hammered out, I can consider making versions for other languages... however they might pose programming challenges because apparently keyboards and other languages (in the OS) might mess some things up.

The only real challenge to translating everything is making sure all the new words in German, or French (or whichever language) fit the GUI. I can always try to make the windows a little bigger, but since I don't have a 14" screen, and my laptop and monitor are both widescreen, I have no way to make sure things don't accidentally run off screen.

If someone can make a screen capture of the main window on a 14" laptopscreen, and email that to me, I'd appreciate it (email is in the About GM Pocket Secretary window under the Apple icon).

Now, as for attributes being divided up intounaugmented/augmented.... means a *ton* of re-programming, and making things more complicated. I wanted to keep things as simple as possible (I originally had several windows open in the program, but managed to get it to all fit in one, with the tabs for selecting different things).

So if you really need to know unaugmented/augmented, just use the Augmented values in the New Character Creation window, and make a not under the Gear or Description Box of the originals.

"Gear" and "Description" are really just not boxes for keeping track of all kinds of things, from spells, to weapons and their damage codes, to totem bonuses/spell bonuses etc.

I don't want the program to become so complicated that the GM spends more time playing with the program and entering stuff, than running the game with the players.
prionic6
QUOTE (ShadowGhost)
Prionic6 - can you show a screen capture of what you mean?

I tried to do a screenshot of ot but it works now... Don't know what caused that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012