Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FanPro D Newsletter May 2005
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Solstice
QUOTE (BitBasher)
This thread has done nothing to allay my fears that the book coming out soon will not be SR except in name only.

Roger that.....
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Shadow @ May 4 2005, 04:45 PM)
I would sacrifice the minor and completly mundane advantages of being connected to the world wide WiFi for the ability to not be tracked and hunted down by my shoes.

I'm curious how much of the world you could track if you told YKK to implant RFID (or eqv.) in every product they make.

QUOTE (hobgoblin)
and about ARO (o? must have missed something, i cant figure out what that o is for) and using it to send out stuff like menus. think of it like the people that stand out on the street handing out small menus or similar to people that pass by.

Actually, I see it more like the guy in the Mexican wrestler mask wearing a sandwich board who stands in the median of a busy street advertising a local Mexican restaurant (This is quite possibly the worst job in the city in summer), although it's just a slightly twisted take on your example. One of the things I think should be clarified is that you still have to take the menu from them, same as you would IRL or in SR pre-AR.
Tanka
Probably a very large majority of it.

Granted, the moment people found out and there was a public outcry, YKK would be out of business and another company would be supplying all those tiny parts.
Crimsondude 2.0
Well, that assumes people ever found out. Even if they did... Maybe. I mean, I think Wal-Mart is the devil incarnate, but I still shop there.
hahnsoo
ARO = Augmented Reality Object
Crimsondude 2.0
OBTW, I know this is going to sound radical--crazy, even--but maybe the English version of the excerpt will show up sooner or later.
Blitzen
I mean, I think Wal-Mart is the devil incarnate, but I still shop there.

Amen to that, except for still shopping there. I'll stop myself before I go off on a tangent about how despise and loath Wal-mart.
sapphire_wyvern
I also think that there's still a place for wired technology, because it is inherently more secure.

I mean, I would much prefer a nice, quiet, landline connection to my security cameras. It's [nearly] unjammable and requires much more effort for an intruder to gain access to the image feed, let alone spoof the output.

Why rely on encryption when you can deny physical access to the signal?
blakkie
QUOTE (BitBasher @ May 4 2005, 05:30 PM)
This thread has done nothing to allay my fears that the book coming out soon will not be SR except in name only.

Name, and perhaps one more aspect: bizzaro tech *shrug*

The description of what a tech** sees is close to what i expected (as posted in a thread here a while back), but they haven't touched yet on attacking devices, devices fighting back, or cracking into someone's PAN.

BTW sapphire_wyvern i did talk there about how hardwire isn't a huge security advantage, although i could see it having limited applications. Where there is lots of cash to throw after an extra bit of security, in a newer building that is built and prewired for it's current use, where there is limited or no mobile devices, and the system is physically issolated from the Matrix with no communication lines in or out.

I agree this whole idea could get messy if the developers artifically force all old-style cyberware to disappear. But i could see the corps mostly controlling cyberware production, and pushing the stuff that has wireless connectivity to be the norm. The old-style cyberware you come across is then either lower quality (hello Mr. SOTA) or is terribly expensive because it is custom made and the corps don't want it out there (except when it is under their thumb and working directly for them).

Coupled with some advantages of a wireless system, the pervasiveness of wireless capable cyberware could be somewhat natural in many classes of cyberware. Advantages like the SR3 palm/weapon induction pads, or linking all your headware with external devices without having to cut in router hardware. If your cyberspurs are controlled by your PAN, once you had the commlink and the cyber legs in the cyberspurs could be essense free since you don't need a DNI. Downsides yup, but if there are suitable defenses it could be a reasonable trade-off to go either way.

In any event i don't expect many mages signing on for 'ware commlinks (bad name choice, they share little with previous SR "commlinks" other than they communicate over radio frequency). Perhaps HUD goggles, but those would be relatively low security risks.

I expect that even luddite characters are going to be within the reach of a tech. Indirect attacks lauched by controlling the devices in the environment around the luddite target. So your team would do well to have a tech on board unless the run is going to take place in the woods with the only vehicles, gear, and such around being luddite level.

**I'm beginning to like the name "tech". Short, concise, doesn't have the same level of goober baggage of "technomancer" or "hacker". The people that like "technomancer" could even delude themselves into thinking it's a shortened version on that.
Edward
QUOTE ( Phantom Runner)

At eth same time doing so dose not allow your customers to access the menu from outside your store.

Why not? Everything is wireless. The menu is broadcasted blocks away. This allows you to brouse the menu while you are en-route, call in the order on your commlink before you get there, and then by the time you arrive and are seated your food is ready. Although the purist would have a hard time as he sits down and politely asks the nearest server, "Excuse me, can I get a menu..." to which he is greated with confused stares...

Regardless of what it gains the matrix MUST retain its primary function, that being to share and access data over long distances.

And what about adding ARO takes away the "primary fuction" of the Matrix. It still does that, and on an even broader scale...

ok the menu idea wasn’t the best. the catalogue of a store that has customers on eth other side of the world would be more correct.

The way system is being escribed is that you remain in full position of your meat senses and have an overlay of the information added by AROs within your line of sight. Let’s say I am in the renraku arcology mall looking at the tridio sets there. I look at them and an ARO pops up on each one to give me information on what I am considering buying. I decide I want to compare the prices of the novatech models. I cant access the AROs because I cant see them, I cant likely even get a direct signal to a novatech store. How do I now access that information?

In SR3 I would have had to sit down at a terminal and access the matrix, ether in tortoise mode or using a RAS override, the pargam for matrix 2 suggests that people clapped out with a RAS override is a thing of the past but throwing a non localised matrix view on your field of vision would be extremely disorientating, my question is how this is done.

Also are we to lose all the total immersion matrix sites running everything from educational simulators to coffee shops? These places had no logical physical location so they will have a great deal of difficulty interfacing with an ARO or augmented reality sweet.

As to the treatment of those that can not or choose not to get a full PAN I agree. But I worry that the rules will state that everybody is connected or at least fail to mention that there are people that are not connected and thus the hacker tricks don’t work on them.

Runners could even fall into this category, they are being treated as badly as sines as you said, remember many runners have always been sinless. They will at least want to be able to turn off there devises to avoid there location being triangulated (a trivial operation given the number of receivers around the place.

We need rules for the absence of these devises on PCs and NPCs, that was my only point.

One group of purists will be tolerated, the awakened, as long as implants cause magic loss (and I will be most disappointed if this is not the case) and magicians remain an in demand commodity there refusing to have ANY cyber or bio ware will e tolerated if not encouraged by corporate power structures, they will still have to ware the non implanted versions but they will use non implanted versions of the parts that are normally implanted (with a commiserate lack of performance). For example, a display link would be common ware so you can have the AROs displayed directly within your field of vision. A corporate mage could get a set of glasses that incorporates a heads up display that will show him the AROs but because the glasses may not be quite strait he suffers -1 pool for perception tests. Items such as those glasses should be included in the equipment listing in the main book (this is only an example based on many potentially erroneous assumptions but I think it makes my point)

Other items I would like to see include a external comlink assessed threw an old style data jack, data encryption that is reliable over the week to month time frame (military grade encryption being reliable over the year to decade timeframe), smartguns that still use wires (I don’t want a cheep jamer stuffing up my interface, or a hacker emptying my clip while my gun is in its holster)

The statement of a warless device in your clothing makes little sense. What dose it do exactly and why would I pay for 30 electronic units instead of 30 sets of clothing with a pocket that will fit my single device that dose those things.

Edward
Ellery
The statement of a warless device in your clothing makes little sense. What dose it do exactly
It does advertising, so you can afford the uber-cool clothes with programmable patterns (in exchange for half a square foot of advertising space on your back). Now, the advertisments can dynamically change depending on where you are. Walk into a mall, and your back will display an ad for the sale on at the office furniture store across the way.

It also does style-avoidance. Are you showing up to a party and don't want to be wearing the same dress as someone else? No problem! Use your PAN to set your range of allowable styles, and it will automatically shift you to a pattern and color that guarantees that you will make your own, individualized impression.

And it keeps track of ownership. Did you put down your jacket and can't remember where it went? No problem! Just follow the AR arrows to it.
blakkie
QUOTE (Edward @ May 5 2005, 01:53 AM)
In SR3 I would have had to sit down at a terminal and access the matrix, ether in tortoise mode or using a RAS override, the pargam for matrix 2 suggests that people clapped out with a RAS override is a thing of the past

There might be still be the zonked out mode. Sort of a full immersion mode vs. ARO. In many ways a similar difference as between astral projection and astral perception. However that is pure speculation as i don't think there are any offical comments or playtester hints pointing to the existance of such a mode.

EDIT: That mode might be limited to those with more invasive cyberware implants and, perhaps, technomancers without the special cyberware. After all it would be really tough to have full immersion with just pair of goggles.

but throwing a non localised matrix view on your field of vision would be extremely disorientating, my question is how this is done.

Remember that SR3 had retinal projection systems and such that overlaid data in your field of vision. That's how Smartlink systems work.

There might be perception modifiers that the GM can apply in particularly hairy environments. As well if your PAN is cracked into the attacker might be able to purposely obscure your vision with bogus graphics. Remember that in SR3 astral perception applies a +2 TN modifier across the board. They might handle perception modifiers the same under AR as under astral perception (however that is modeled in SR4).
MYST1C
QUOTE (blakkie)
Remember that SR3 had retinal projection systems and such that overlaid data in your field of vision. That's how Smartlink systems work.

And image/data displays.

(Which basically goes back to Neuromancer where Wintermute hijacks Molly's clock implant and uses it to display alphanumerical messages in her eye.)
Sicarius
this technology is everywhere???

Tell me who drew the short straw for installing wireless in the Barrens?
There HAVE to be places which are off the "Grid" as it were.

What doesn't compute with me, is why the corps would allow this. Just because a technology exists, doesn't mean the powers that be will make it possible for everyone to have one/use one.
Sure the noveau riche can change their clothing patterns so that they don't end up wearing the same dress as the Hilton heiress, but I don't see it going down big in the Ork Underground, or in areas were people are knifing each other for their shoes. (or organs!)

Cyber, apparently. punk? maybe not.
Adam
Wait! Does that mean that there's going to be groups rebelling against corporate and government controls? Surely not, no, not in a cyberpunk game!
Penta
Uh, Adam...Some things that cause issues here...

1. Even today, very light tracking causes all hell to break loose. OK, that's changed in SR, but this would make Orwell spin in his grave.

2. RF interference. You put that many transmitters in one place, in the urban accoustic environment, and all hell is going to break loose.

3. The NAN and every one of the other places on Earth where it's not total urban jungle.

4. Cancer. It's only been a decade since really wide-scale use of cellphones began. And we're lately seeing kids use cell phones.

There is apparently some theoretical evidence that that may cause problems, though no evidence yet...And in any case, with what's proposed for SR4, the amount of RF emissions around the person will increase dramatically.
Eyeless Blond
Number 3 has been dealt with above, by me and a few others.

Number 2... yes, this is definately an issue. However, keep in mind that all of these WiFi devices are very low-intensity, particularly the worn, non-Commlink stuff, and so won't "bounce" quite as much as even, say, a handheld radio. There's the added bonus that the extremely close ranges will help prevent most long-range tracking.

As for #1 and #4... "There's always an Arquillian Battle Cruiser, or a Korilian Death Ray, or an intergalactic plague that is about to wipe out life on this miserable planet. The only way these people get on with their happy lives is they do not KNOW ABOUT IT. " biggrin.gif
Taki
What will be the price to lend skillware -as in Matrix- ?
" - We need to pilot a hovercraft
- wait I download the program for a 2hours duration
- Hum. no time to leave. please choose a rocket launcher soft instead ...
- Ok should I lend as well the TargeterWideEye sat 2sec before lunching to increase my chance to blow them out ???"

Guess how much time it will need to apply the rules ...
hobgoblin
about tracking: this only happens when something smells of direct tracking. with the right access to your creditcard records and cellphone connections it can say more or less where you are at any moment. yet people dont cry out about this. its mostly a question of who have access and how they get access. do they have to go to a judge to get access or can they just enter your comink code into a searchengine and get a map of where you are? in fact some people sign up for the later feature so that friends can locate them.

as for coverage in the barrens and similar. most likely you will not se many local transmitters. but you will have general matrix coerage as long as they have a cell tower that can reach into the barrens (or have survived inisde the area). its only in the middle to luxury areas that you will see much use of local area equipment. just take a quick look at minority report and think of local area transmitters to be similar to the eye scanners of that movie.

and about the cancer thing. only problem that have been recorded are a spike in heat in the area around your ear when talking for a long time. this is most likely an effect of the power the cell transmitter puts out. a bluetooth headset puts out maybe 1/10 or less of that and most likely people will be either wearing a small earpiece (kinda like a hearing aid in size. and some young kids that needs it today can get em in patterns and colors other then skintones so maybe they will become a kind of fashion statement in the future?) or maybe sunglasses with buildt in headset (look at the oakley sunglasses with buildt in mp3 player). the comlink/cellphone will be located in your pocket or similar.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
about tracking: this only happens when something smells of direct tracking. with the right access to your creditcard records and cellphone connections it can say more or less where you are at any moment. yet people dont cry out about this. its mostly a question of who have access and how they get access. do they have to go to a judge to get access or can they just enter your comink code into a searchengine and get a map of where you are? in fact some people sign up for the later feature so that friends can locate them.

Or so they can track their kids.

or maybe sunglasses with buildt in headset (look at the oakley sunglasses with buildt in mp3 player). the comlink/cellphone will be located in your pocket or similar.

Screw that worthless piece of junk. SR's had the Whitelaw sunglasses with the HUD in them for years (since NAGRL, but referenced in Seattle).
Eldritch
It also does style-avoidance. Are you showing up to a party and don't want to be wearing the same dress as someone else? No problem! Use your PAN to set your range of allowable styles, and it will automatically shift you to a pattern and color that guarantees that you will make your own, individualized impression

Untill someone hacks into your clothing and overlays the full body nude they snagged off of the RF Telecom that is in you bathroom.

I dunno, I have a hard time seeing this as 'Coming to Be.' I say hard, and not impossible becuase who knows what'll happen in the next 50 years. *shrug*

Right now RFID, cookies, etc are all under close scrutiny by consumers and consumer advocacy groups.

And what they don't know won't hurt them line won't work at all - everyone's gonna know something is up. This isn't something that can just be hidden away.
Lucyfersam
Please, please, please do not include the term WiFi in the final description of the wireless matrix. It will not be the standard protocol in 10 years much less 65, given that various replacements are already being deployed. giving the technology the same name as it has now is a sure way to quickly date the game, which is one of the things I thought we were trying to get away from.

Is there ever going to be a FAQ part 5? It's been 3 weeks...
Kagetenshi
Why not include it? It makes no fucking sense today, so no future advance is going to render the term any more completely idiotic than it already is.

~J
Spookymonster
QUOTE (Lucyfersam)
Please, please, please do not include the term WiFi in the final description of the wireless matrix. It will not be the standard protocol in 10 years much less 65, given that various replacements are already being deployed.

Personally, I'm leaning towards wireless networking (pronounced 'WEE-nee', not 'wine').

wink.gif
Grimtooth
will all commlinks be internal?

Can i steal someone's PAN and get all of his goodies downloaded via some sort of stoopid interfact to my commlink?

Sound like a movie i watched not too long ago. Guy on the run. Needs a new set of eyes cause everything is driven by retina scan. Gets set of second hand eyes and gets all that guy's info.

Minority Report?

I can't remember
Grimtooth
You know i just had a couple of minutes to think about this.

I've read on a couple of other threads about how SR was using the 80's japanese like theme as the underlying basis.

Well guess what? After reading this post, I don't see good ol'Seattle as the gritty city of old. Oh no.

With this wireless society with its l33t H4x0rs and technomancers, i see downtown NEO-TOKYO eek.gif

Go figure

The more things change...yada, yada, yada
Spookymonster
QUOTE (Penta)
2. RF interference. You put that many transmitters in one place, in the urban accoustic environment, and all hell is going to break loose.

You're assuming that everything in the PAN contains an active transmitter. Most likely, 99% of your PAN-aware objects are going to be passive, containing the 2070 equivalent of modern day RFID tags (as Eldritch aluded to earlier).

RFID tags are tiny, unpowered, non-volatile data stores. They are completely inert until they pass through an RFID scanner. The scanner's low-power EM field gives them just enough energy to broadcast their data. Once they're out of the field, they go inert again.

So your PAN would most likely be comprised of, say, 25 RFID tags, powered by a scanner in your commlink, rather than 25 RF transmitters constantly bleating out their data. Turn off your commlink, and you effectively disappear. That is, until you pass through the active scanner located in the entrance of a mall bookstore, for example.

Or, you could take the time to rip out the tags from every bit of gear you own.

Just a guess.
Taki
Just think some RFID have a range of 100m ...
worst than "1984" is easily by reached. The bad thind is that were going throug it soon!
hobgoblin
one should take a look at how bluetooth works. unless you tell it to scan it will only listen for traffic and reply if needed (say if a diffrent device sends a scan signal) or send to a known device.

to connect together two bluetooth devices you have to initiate pairing mode, ie tell both about each other. this is done by doing a scan and then enter eitehr a predefined code (for stuff like handsfree ear plugs, and they only go into pairing mode by pressing a button on them) or one that you make up at the moment (for stuff with keypads and similar).

a bluetooh enabled poster on the other hand have constant scan going, and when picking up a new device it sends out a push signal that is basicly a text note or a business card.

now push this into the future where you have better bandwidth (hell, bluetooth SIG is making noice about going UWB. the same tech that wireless usb will use) and you have matrix2's PAN.

take a pic with your digicam, put it in a pocket and then use your comlink to access the pic, write a mail and send it of. and you never attach a single wire.
SpeedFreak
Dude, the internet overlays what you actually see?

All new "Hackers" listen up!
I have discovered the new 1337 haxxoring ski11z!
Hacking specialized in.....

SPAM!!

Rule the streets as you legally force anyone you don't like within eyesight of you to be bombarded with constantly self opening and propogating useless "advertisements" that completely shut them down!
(Hey, if they didn't want to see the ads, they don't have to look @/ be around me.) cool.gif

(And before you laugh, we have them IRL now.) eek.gif

I don't know, I'm thinking that with a simple action, I can run "Teh Sp4mmin4torz" and give someone oh let's say, +4 TN -4 Dice to all actions until they either shut down thier PAN and reboot or they have a monster anti spam suite constantly running... Also I could, with enough successes hits, cause thier PAN to "lock up" trying to open 65 million+ things @ once.

ph33r my 1337 h4xxor ski11z!

And if I have enough Karma for magic, I can add to this w/ magic spells like the good 'ole Choatic World™ spell! grinbig.gif
Crimsondude 2.0
I think I speak for many others when I say that I hate you.
SpeedFreak
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
I think I speak for many others when I say that I hate you.

Who, me?
Shalimar
This remind anyone of the laughing man incident in Ghost in the Shell? He was a hacker that hacked peoples eyes so that he didn't exist to them, and the fact that everything is going wireless...

He also hacked peoples eyes to overlay a stick figure face on top of his own so no one could tell what he looked like.
Bandwidthoracle
QUOTE (Shalimar)
This remind anyone of the laughing man incident in Ghost in the Shell? He was a hacker that hacked peoples eyes so that he didn't exist to them, and the fact that everything is going wireless...

He also hacked peoples eyes to overlay a stick figure face on top of his own so no one could tell what he looked like.

I thought what I'd do was I'd pretend to be one of those deaf mutes or should I? rotfl.gif
Grimtooth
See what i mean about the neo-tokyo feeling?

We're comparing it to GitS and the game isn't even out yet.

In preparation for SR4 I think I'll grab my CyberGeneration book and read up on the rules. indifferent.gif
Jérémie
QUOTE (Lucyfersam)
Please, please, please do not include the term WiFi in the final description of the wireless matrix.

Agreed. It's a local nowawadays term, doesn't render well in a cyberpunk/sf game.
Req
QUOTE (Grimtooth)
In preparation for SR4 I think I'll grab my CyberGeneration book and read up on the rules. indifferent.gif

Stop saying that word.
mfb
preparation! preparation preparation!
Aristotle
I've never read Transhuman Space, or seen Ghost in the Shell, but this all sounds incredibly similar to a networking scheme I've been writing up for a d20 Modern game I was planning to run (and release online). I may have to rewrite to make sure things aren't excessively similar.

I'm not happy with the continued existence of Otaku in any form, but I'm definitely happy with the direction the matrix has gone.
Panzergeist
Actually, this Matrix stuff should probably already have existed by 2065, although having everyone equipped with it in a world of such poverty seems pretty far-fetched.
hobgoblin
i think that the word everyone is used to cover anyone that counts. ie, any middle-class wage slave on up.

basicly if your low income or below then having a PAN enabled comlink will be a achivement, just like having a high-end computer is to some people today.
Grimtooth
CyberGeneration CyberGeneration CyberGeneration CyberGeneration

Its just so fun to say. nyahnyah.gif

Crimsondude 2.0
Say it once more and Candyma... Cyber... will appear.
Kagetenshi
Crimsondude and other writers accept implicitly that CyberGeneration can notice and manipulate unwary Name-givers who invoke its Name too often. Your humble scribe finds this unlikely, for CyberGeneration CyberGeneration has not demonstrated clairvoyant powers of this CyberGeneration description, certainly not on those CyberGeneration whom Cybergeneration has not CyberGeneration already marked. Assuming such CyberGeneration were true, the effects of CyberGeneration's CyberGeneration's CYBERGENERATION'S manipulation would become evident to an CYBERGENERATION observer. CYBERGENERATION To date no such CYBERGENERATION has surfaced, despite the CYBERGENERATION diligent inquiry of one CYBERGENERATION who only desires to CYBERGENERATION the CYBERGENERATION of the CYBERGENERATION Library of CYBERGENERATION, and hopes that CYBERGENERATION superiors will CYBERGENERATION him with CYBERGENERATION and CYBERGENERATION CYBERGENERATION CYBERGENERATION
Ellery
Apparently Nebis has renamed himself CyberGeneration (or vice versa). This Nebis not be a CyberGeneration Nebis. Ah CyberGeneration. Nebis. Nebis, too.
Crimsondude 2.0
Well, further proof that the line between genius and madness is a thin one indeed.
BitBasher
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
Well, further proof that the line between genius and madness is a thin one indeed.

The line of "just not getting it" and having no idea what CyberGeneration is... Is apparently much, much wider... frown.gif
Crimsondude 2.0
Oh, no. it's just that I've seen Ellery do this before, and it usually requires someone to give the case a good swift kick to reset it.
mfb
speaking of things i'm not keen on trying...
Crimsondude 2.0
Yeah, God only knows what defenses need to be bypassed. Rebooting Deus would probably be easier.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012