Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parting the Veil: Recruitment thread
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Fenris
Alright, this is the sequel to Striding the Soul's Edge. I'm bringing back three original characters from that thread, so I've got one open slot. I'll put character creation criteria here so you know what's coming, but all I want to actually pick what character I'm letting in is a general character concept, and a background that includes how you came to know the other three characters, and information on at least one run you did with them in the past. You can PM or post here to ask those other players questions, or just make something up. Just don't take license with their characters wink.gif Again, I don't want fully fleshed out characters right now, whether you have one ready or not. If you post a full character, you definitely will not be selected. Place character concepts in this thread, and I'll let everyone know who's in.

Currently in the group we have:
Nameless - Played by WinterRat1. Nameless is an expert stealth/infiltration expert, a world-class marksmen with a pistol, and grade 3 physical adept to boot.

Jake - Played by McQuillan. Besides being a physically perfect specimen of humanity, Jake usually plays the role of leader, and is a 2nd Circle Mage. Wielding a Longsword and Shield, he more resembles the mythical hero's of old striding into battle.

Iblis - Played by Buddha72, Iblis is a fuzzy white drek hot decker. This Changeling rolls with roller skates, a pair of custom pistols, and a Fairlight Excalibur in a backpack with a Frankensteinein looking teddy bear screaming for help stitched on the back.

Number of players: Looking for 1.

Setting: High level street to high level corporate runs. Setting will be Seattle, with possible runs stretching in Denver and CalFree State.

Time:October, 2064. SURGE edges and flaws are available per the Year of the Comet. Don't forget the extra five build points to be a "Changeling"

Build: Priority System, Sum to 10, Build Points (125), or BeCK's.

Additional: Add 100 karma and 1,250,000 (Money spent after chargen is with street index)

Karma for cash: 1 karma=5000 and vice-versa (bought karma does not add to karma pool)

Throw in any character concept you want, as my table top players know, I'm more interested in making sure everyone's having fun then playing a strictly cannon game. However, keep in mind that even metahuman's are prejudiced against the metavariants, so if you want to play a night one, expect people to stare, gawk, and remember you very clearly. Also, if you're going to play a Ghoul, keep in mind similar things. You smell like dead meat all the time, you have overly pale skin, you're blind, and it's uncomfortable almost to the point of pain to be in the sun. Bred Drakes, you'll have all that and more, including the whole automatic 6 point automatic Dragon Enemy. The only thing worse then dealing with dragons...

Since the characters are established, you can have custom gear. Just make sure it's detailed out.

I require either the HTML files that NSRCG spits out, or text files. Only these two options exist. Any other file format will result in the character being rejected and replaced wink.gif

Here's a new twist: I'm requiring all the characters playing together to know each other and have at least a modicum of professional respect. At 100 karma you're all established runners, and I don't want any game destruction due to conflicting character types. I'm only looking for character concepts and backgrounds at this point, and I'll choose who I want in the game based on that. Everybody knows everybody, everybody has a pretty good idea of what everyone can do, and you have to have run with at least 1 other character. Bonus karma may be awarded for exceptionally interesting or detailed backgrounds.

I'll be posting on a regular basis. I won't guarantee once a day every day, and I'm usually a bit more relaxed on the weekends, but there will be at least two significant storyline bumps each week. One on Tuesday, and one on Friday. I'll update between of course, but these two bumps are mandatory. This is in hopes of keeping the game from stalling out like so many other board games.

Metahumans start with 2 points of karma pool (house rule).

Karma will be awarded at the rate of 1 point per week (every Tuesday) and extra bumps after significant story events.

By the way, I'm God, and I don't have to be nice. If you're doing something I don't like, there will be 1 warning. Just one.
Ecclesiastes
Me me me!

Now I just need an idea...
Ecclesiastes
Ok, looks like you guys need a heavy hitter. I'm thinking about coming in with Cougar. He is an ex-Wildcat who got sick of getting crapped on all the time for going the route of cyberware. Personality wise, he is very much the professional street sam and has a good rep got getting the job done and not screwing with his team. For weapons, he has a pair of cyberspurs when in melee and a wide range of firearms and pull bows.
Ol' Scratch
Ooh, I think I might try and throw my hat into this ring, too, if you'll have me. I have no idea what kind of a character I'll cook up, but I will try to submit something in the near future to pit against the other applicants. Looks like fun! smile.gif
Ecclesiastes
I thought you died. Go away, I want to play! smile.gif
Ol' Scratch
<breaks a beer bottle and stabs at the air> Back off, pal. The slot's mine. Possibly. <jab jab>
Fenris
I'm pleased and flattered by your eagerness, Doctor Funkenstein, I will need a general character concept before I can decide who I'd like to include.

As a general reference, I'd like to let everyone know that the recruitment thread will go through the Memorial Day Weekend. Look for a decision on Tuesday.
BishopMcQ
One side note which didn't come up in the descriptions--the three members of the group right now have a fairly familial relationship. (Example: We had a water and bagel fight the morning after our legwork before we got down to planning...)

Just an FYI...
Ecclesiastes
Sounds great smile.gif
nick012000
I would like to join. Howling Wolf is a Street Samurai/Totem's Way Adept, following Wolf. He is one of the few surviving members of a Salish SpecOp team that went rogue, and began running the shadows. His (now largely deceased) group was hired alongside the other group, on a bodyguarding mission. Turned out that the Johnson was wanted by pretty much every organized crime ring in town, and a few that weren't. Two of his chummers died on that particular run. It paid very well though, and he's kept in touch with the other survivors since then.

Oh, and I have complete his sheet, but won't post it unless I get selected.
Kiedo
You know what this run needs, a big scary, but still lovable, troll. I love playing trolls, there sooo fun and I'm cooking up a decent character design.

Concept:
Magical Adept (you know the one that costs thirty build points) who specializes in heavy weapons and destroying things, oh and looking good while he does it.

Ooh I've got a stellar background in the works, I just have a few questions:

1. Where are the other runners right now, Seattle?

2. Would it be possible to get a more indepth background for the other three players, that would help greatly in making a convincing background. Maybe usual hangouts, contacts things like that, just trying to get the two to meet.

3. Do you have a problem with lengthy backgrounds, because I've only gotten him to seattle at age 26 and I'm already up to a page, and if you want a run with at least one of the other members that could get lengthy and I just wanted to make sure if I submit a novella you won't discount it for length.
Ol' Scratch
[removed]
Fenris
Good concepts so far, and just so everyone knows, I don't have any prejudices about length of background either way. At this point, a short, one-line concept has just as much chance as a 1 pager wink.gif

Keep 'em coming!
Ol' Scratch
[removed]
WinterRat1
Just like to echo McQuillan that one of the unique things I particularly enjoyed about the first game was the very close-knit relationship the team had, so applicant characters should definitely consider what Fenris said about how the character knows the current characters, and be willing to be a part of an almost 'family' atmosphere. Er, in my opinion, cause Fenris is making the final decision...but yeah, there's my .02 nuyen.gif smile.gif
Ol' Scratch
[removed]
Kiedo
I think that Fenris said not to submit a novel here so I just figured it would be taken into account after the selection. But that's also why I asked about favorite haunts and contacts for the other runners, so I could build a realistic background and a believable storyline for Ark Grueli.

By full character did you mean background and sheet, or just a fully fleshed out background?

but here is what I've got thus for background on Ol' Ark:

[ Spoiler ]

I'm waiting on a clearer indication of how I could have met the other characters to proceed any further.
Fenris
My apologies, Kiedo. I'd meant to include this link earlier:

Striding the Soul's Edge

This is the thread in which the current characters all made their mutual histories together. Feel free to skim through it and pull relevant details.

However, I also specifically mentioned in my opening post that I wasn't going to be able to provide alot of relevant character details, and that if you wanted that information, you could either ask for specifics from the characters themselves in this thread ("Hey guys, is there a popular club or bar you all hang out at that I might have met you at?") or email or PM them.
Ol' Scratch
Hmm, yes, well, I think I'm going to pull my submissions out. smile.gif On one hand you guys are asking for little one-line entries, and the other you're chastising people for not including a detailed history including information on how they met everyone else. So, yeah, probably not for me. smile.gif Sorry to have wasted anyone's time.
Kiedo
microsoft.com? everytime I clicked on that link, it took me to microsoft's web page.
Ol' Scratch
Fixed link.
Fenris
Thanks for the correct link, Funkenstein. Tried to be lazy and use the automatic link generator, just goes to show, I guess wink.gif

Thanks for those people that gave entries. I've selected nick012000 's character Howling Wolf as the addition.

nick012000, I need a complete character, in line with the specifics I posted in the first post on this thread, by next Tuesday. I'll be starting the new thread then.

Thanks again everyone.
nick012000
Here you go. Howling Wolf (a.k.a. Ghost)'s sheet.

howling_wolf.htm
[ Spoiler ]

MageInfo.htm:
[ Spoiler ]

vech1.htm:
[ Spoiler ]
nick012000
And because the message board doesn't like long posts, here is the last file.

vech2.htm:
[ Spoiler ]
nick012000
*double post*
Fenris
Can you email me those files please? (quantumthoughts at gmail.com)

You'll also need to contact or post here regarding your shared background with the other characters.
nick012000
Email sent.

I already have posted their common history. Their groups both got hired for a bodygaurding mission by the same guy to protect him. They've kept in touch since then.
WinterRat1
Fenris- When do you want updated sheets from us? And can we use cash to karma for our characters (since I have absolutely zero idea what Nameless would spend 1M nuyen on)?
Fenris
You can still use cash to karma, per original character generation rules. Just keep in mind that doesn't increase karma pool.

I'd like updated sheets by next Tuesday, when I start the new thread.
nick012000
*bump*
Fenris
Just to keep everyone updated, I'm stilling planning on opening the thread on Tuesday. I don't have updated character sheets from anybody except nick.

Please email them to me as attachments, in html or txt format, by Tuesday morning.

Thank you, and you can now return to your regularly scheduled threads.
Fenris
Just realized I'm going to need a quick background update for everyone.
Assuming you have 6 weeks between the end of the last run and now, what has everyone been doing?

Buddha's already given me his.

nick, I also need a slightly more detailed background then what I have. Personality, family, friends, ethics, why are you ex-Salish, etc.
WinterRat1
Part of that depends. What are we saying everyone else on the team (among those who are no longer playing that is) is doing?
nick012000
The 20 Questions good enough?

Also, how much flexibility will you allow the Facial Sculpt power to have? Can I control the length of my hair and the size and shape of my dermal deposits?

[ Spoiler ]
Fenris
Pretty good, but it still doesn't asnwer the question as to why your supposedly highly loyal and obviously expensively equipped and trained spec-op's unit went rogue.

I'll read up on the facial scuplt and have an answer for you within the next few days.
Fenris
Winterrat - I know Iblis is using her money to start a Changeling Community-only Rave club in a 4 or 5 story warehouse. Hiring bartenders, security, DJ's, that sort of thing. I assume most of the other team is out doing things like that, purchasing lifestyles for years ahead, and getting specialty gear, mostly independantly.
BishopMcQ
Buying high force magics, taking the Third Circle and several members of Extassis out for a night on the town and embracing the needs of the third circle to make in-roads into the Second Circle.

Since we are having a slightly prolonged downtime session, I'm also spending an evening with Carvaggio to catch up and talk. (The "once every month or two" talk)

Jake has also been helping out at the club with some of the costuming.
WinterRat1
Nameless has been pursuing his quest of vengeance, and probably deepening his relationship with Steel, since they're kinda in an odd place right now, but since they have similar goals, they probably spent most of their time either together or working towards fulfilling their goals separately or in coordination.

That and training like mad. Oh, and recovering from surgery for cyber/bioware. All that should easily take up a few weeks.
nick012000
QUOTE (Fenris)
Pretty good, but it still doesn't asnwer the question as to why your supposedly highly loyal and obviously expensively equipped and trained spec-op's unit went rogue.

I'll read up on the facial scuplt and have an answer for you within the next few days.

The money, of course. nyahnyah.gif

One of the guys in the unit realized exactly how much money they could make by going mercenary, and the other guys decided that it sounded like a good idea. Howling Wolf decided that his loyalties lay with people rather than nations, and decided to follow them. I'd imagine that that there would be a decent amount of corruption amoungst the officers as well that might have provided a bit of an incentive to turn rogue.
Fenris
Greed is always an excellent motivation wink.gif

Alright, looks like I have plenty of info to kick things off on again, expect the new thread Friday.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012