Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just my .02 cents
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
SR4-WTF?
QUOTE (mfb)
resistance to change is definitely not a factor, at least not for me. i want a new SR game very much, and i've wanted one since before the SR4 announcement (another case of FanPro's damn thought-ninjas stealing my thoughts). based on the initial positive response that the SR4 announcement got from a lot of SLers, it's probably not a factor with them, either.

Change was welcome until it was a change. As soon as it became clear it wasn't just a touch-up with additions the freaking out commenced.
mfb
as several of us have said, few of us are particularly tied to keeping CP in its present form. there are oddities and problems associated with the mechanic. what we're looking for is something that makes the game mechanics more than simple mindless hack-and-slash. i don't believe that goal is achievable without some way for players to emphasize certain rolls over others, and to do so fairly often over the course of a battle (eg, not just when they're in trouble and need an ace in the hole to survive). is it possible to achieve this wholly through action selection? yes, Jagged Alliance 2 manages it quite well. but Jagged Alliance 2 is a computer game. i want a game that makes me thing, but not that much.

edit:
QUOTE (SR4-WTF?)
Change was welcome until it was a change. As soon as it became clear it wasn't just a touch-up with additions the freaking out commenced.

malarky. i've proposed changes as big as some of what's in the FAQs myself, and people thought they were great.
SR4-WTF?
QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (SR4-WTF?)

malarky. i've proposed changes as big as some of what's in the FAQs myself, and people thought they were great.

Well cough it out, let's hear them.

is it possible to achieve this wholly through action selection? yes, Jagged Alliance 2 manages it quite well. but Jagged Alliance 2 is a computer game. i want a game that makes me thing, but not that much.

Think but not think too much? Picky, picky. biggrin.gif One option that usually works well table top is spacial tactics. I don't know how much people use tactical maps in SR. The books themselves don't seem to emphasis it much. I find putting it down in minatures gives a bump to both emersion and tactical considerations. It is more spacial than mathematical, but attack and defense bonuses/penalities do flow from the spacial choices. Unfortunately SR3 movement rules are on the weak side so the effect is not as good as it could be.
mfb
yeah, that's why i try to avoid detailed maps myself. the SR3 rules just can't handle them well enough to suit my tastes. also, online mapping is often a chore.

the real draw of CP, to me, is that it allows you to break the combat turn down into a lot smaller time increments than "simple action/complex action". even in three seconds, there's a lot of important decision-making that goes on that it's just too cumbersome to represent through actual action selection.

when i say "i've proposed", that's short for "i was part of a group that proposed", just to spread the credit around where it's due. the biggest proposed change i was a part of was melee combat. we completely restructured the skill rules so that armed and unarmed skills worked the same way. despite the glowing reviews, that one didn't make it into the SL house rules because it would have been too much of an entry barrier to new SLers, and too difficult to integrate with SLers who didn't want to use it (SL house rules are all strictly optional). ellery's complete rebuild of the magic system is one change that has seen a lot of support, largely because the end result is pretty much the same as the existing system.
Ellery
My stuff isn't a complete rebuild. It uses all the existing mechanics of edges, flaws, and metamagics. It just does so in an extensive way that allows one to rebuild one's magical characters (at some cost) to be more the way one would envision them. And it introduces new rules for learning metamagics (that replace the old rules) since the old rules break when you have too many metamagics.

Unfortunately, a lot of things break in SR when you stretch them very much. Thankfully, the base mechanics don't break, but lots of additions do--I'm happy to give examples upon request.

Very often, the breaking occurs because of linear addition and subtraction. For example, the metamagic rules break because you *must* learn from someone more experienced from you, but the TN goes *down* at the same time, so you end up in the peculiar situation of it being completely impossible to learn a metamagic from almost anyone in the world, except for those rare magicians who are very slightly more advanced than you, in which case it's completely trivial to learn. The problem is caused by "simple" linear trends interacting with caps and subtraction.

It's almost painfully tempting to come up with such systems when trying to "simplify" and "streamline". It takes a lot of work to figure out how to make it work.

Guess what the SR4 mechanic lends itself to?

The genius of tactical pools is not that you can replicate all the various tactical options that you might be able to have with huge tables and lists of interactions (or geometrical interactions or whatnot). Those are all complicated. Tactical pool is simple, yet flexible. That's the trick: tactical pools reward good tactics with a simple, abstract mechanic. It's a great compromise between realism and tactical richness on the one hand, and fast play and simplicity on the other.

You can't get tactics out of opening doors and such unless there are richly populated tables full of bonuses and penalties for various circumstances. SR3 has limited tables of that type, and they certainly help (and require tactical thinking). In SR4, the tactical necessity of position will diminish since for low-skill+atr people, penalties will bottom out and not matter any more, and for high-skill+atr people the loss of a few dice is irrelevant. So they'll need bigger, more complicated tables just to stay even with SR3-minus-tactical-pools.

I hope the tables are well constructed and are of sufficient size and are thorougly playtested for maximum utility with minimum overload. Given the difficulty and time constraints, I'd be very surprised if they are.

QUOTE (SR4-WTF)
If SR4 ships in truely worse shape than SR3 in that area then I'll join your street corner protest wearing a placard that reads "FP STINKS! Y U make SR dumber?"
Which area? The clear resolution of rules, or the tactical actions (that matter)?
SR4-WTF?
QUOTE (Ellery @ Jun 8 2005, 03:27 AM)
My stuff isn't a complete rebuild.  It uses all the existing mechanics of edges, flaws, and metamagics.  It just does so in an extensive way that allows one to rebuild one's magical characters (at some cost) to be more the way one would envision them.  And it introduces new rules for learning metamagics (that replace the old rules) since the old rules break when you have too many metamagics.

Unfortunately, a lot of things break in SR when you stretch them very much.  Thankfully, the base mechanics don't break, but lots of additions do--I'm happy to give examples upon request.

Ya, I too think Magic needs a serious rework to keep the addons to it from snapping. I was happy to see that in the FAQ. Of course you must be more pessimistic about the result of the rework being any better than SR3 otherwise you wouldn't be dreading SR4 so much.

Very often, the breaking occurs because of linear addition and subtraction.  For example, the metamagic rules break because you *must* learn from someone more experienced from you, but the TN goes *down* at the same time, so you end up in the peculiar situation of it being completely impossible to learn a metamagic from almost anyone in the world, except for those rare magicians who are very slightly more advanced than you, in which case it's completely trivial to learn.  The problem is caused by "simple" linear trends interacting with caps and subtraction.

It's almost painfully tempting to come up with such systems when trying to "simplify" and "streamline". It takes a lot of work to figure out how to make it work.

Funny, I see that problem stemming from trying to make things realistic and/or complex. If you don't use multiple trends to try model something in a "realistic" way you get rid of or at least reduce the chances for oddies occuring due to interactions.

The painful temptation appears to have been to cluter the situation with rules.

Example of somewhat streamlined: An instructor must know the metamagic you want to learn. You learn a metamagic from an instructor in a fixed amount of time. If you don't have an instructor you teach yourself. The test for self taught metamagic is an Extended Test to get a fixed number of hits rolling a given Attribute or Attribute+Skill. Each roll with the Extended Test represents the same unit of time as it takes to learn from an instructor.

Example of more streamlined: When your PC is eligable for a new metamagic you pick which one you want and add it to the character sheet. [EDIT]Handwave roleplay as desired, or assume that all learning costs and action are implicitly included in the gaining eligability rules.[/EDIT]
SR4-WTF?
we completely restructured the skill rules so that armed and unarmed skills worked the same way. despite the glowing reviews, that one didn't make it into the SL house rules because it would have been too much of an entry barrier to new SLers, and too difficult to integrate with SLers who didn't want to use it (SL house rules are all strictly optional). ellery's complete rebuild of the magic system is one change that has seen a lot of support, largely because the end result is pretty much the same as the existing system.

Gee, that seems like an inheret SL resistance to change, even when it is change preceived as being for the better. smile.gif Though in that case it is more systemic and not just person by person preference.

As for reworking combat so that armed and unarmed work the same way, hasn't this been done in SR4? By putting the effort into aligning armed with unarmed combat aren't you saying you think that that is an important area of concern. But in your post panning the current iteration of SR4 rules you talk about the things you felt needed fixing weren't?
Raskolnikov
I will just point out that Shadowland does not hold a single party line or philosophy between all of its userbase. You are looking foolish painting with such a wide brush. Not all negative SR4 posters are from Shadowland, not all Shadowland posters are wholely negative about SR4.
Crimsondude 2.0
Plus, some of us are entertaining the idea of house rules and pursue them with vigor with others would prefer to stick with one set of canon rules, doesn't matter which edition. Even if I did want to house rule something, I know that my ideas are generally very different that a lot of other peoples' ideas--people on DS and SL or just SL.

I've warmed up to some of the official T6W house rules, but OTOH I rather dislike them when they become more than peripheral (which is what most of the T6W official house rules are with the exception of Called Shots rule and maybe one other). I like the cyberlimbs rules, but I have never used them.

But overall, there is no "SL" that exists as one entity. It's a community with some things in common, but a lot more differences--opinions on SR4 especially.
Penta
It certainly feels like it does.
Crimsondude 2.0
Perhaps you should feel it out a little more then, and you'll realize how foolish that perception is.
SR4-WTF?
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
Perhaps you should feel it out a little more then, and you'll realize how foolish that perception is.

You are James, right?
SR4-WTF?
QUOTE (Raskolnikov @ Jun 8 2005, 09:14 PM)
I will just point out that Shadowland does not hold a single party line or philosophy between all of its userbase.  You are looking foolish painting with such a wide brush.  Not all negative SR4 posters are from Shadowland, not all Shadowland posters are wholely negative about SR4.

I just noted the striking correlation between the vocally expressed opinion there, at least the portions that I could find, and a large portion of the vocally expressed negative view of SR4 here. I realize that there are other SL members that are under NDA, or the possibility that there are some sort of intrapolitical discussions at SL I haven't come across or are not public. But the stuff from the lukers certainly seems lobsided.
Penta
I feel it and feel it, but can hardly feel much difference.

CD, it's becoming nearly correlative that as soon as someone identifies themselves as playing on SL, you can guess with better-than-even accuracy that they're against SR4.

It's a trend.
Raskolnikov
Actually you didn't just note any correlation. You started refering to Shadowland like an individual. Additionally, those of us holding out optimism can not break NDA anymore over there than we can here, so it's not suprising you see people who post to both Shadowland and Dumpshock saying the same thing in both places.

I am not terribly concerned, you can think of Shadowland what you may, but many people on Shadowland like SR a lot, not just Shadowland's SR. Many may be of the opinion that it would take some serious 11th hour development to make SR4 a good game, but they're hoping.
SR4-WTF?
QUOTE (Raskolnikov @ Jun 8 2005, 09:48 PM)
Actually you didn't just note any correlation.  You started refering to Shadowland like an individual.

No more than Ellery did, and arguably less than Critias did:

QUOTE (Critias )
SL is SL, and DS is DS, and only occasionally shall the two meet. SLers are amongst the first to admit (or almost brag) that we have our own view of Shadowrun and it's world, and our own style of play (remarkably lethal, very tactical and precise). Lots of the things we very specifically like as a gaming group are being stripped away by SR4 (if what we've heard so far is accurate). So, yes. We're opinionated about it.

I also specifically refered to majorites of opinion, not to a single opinion.
Raskolnikov
Yeah, it is funny how a group of people who play the same game together for years like the same things about the game. We have similar opinons about Shadowrun, on a site dedicated to playing Shadowrun. Critas said "we" a lot.

He did not, however, suggest that Shadowland thinks a certain way, or that it has an inherent reistance to change, for example.

Edit: I'll take the word of your edit above that you intended to mean majority opinion and not collective groupthink.
mfb
QUOTE (SR4-WTF?)
Gee, that seems like an inheret SL resistance to change, even when it is change preceived as being for the better.

you're absolutely right: as it stands, SL draws in new blood. if that new blood were to be driven away because we force houserules down their throats, that would be a pretty big change. in that respect, we're certainly resistant to change. as to change for the better, i'd have to disagree.

QUOTE (Penta)
CD, it's becoming nearly correlative that as soon as someone identifies themselves as playing on SL, you can guess with better-than-even accuracy that they're against SR4.

you, on the other hand, are badly mistaken. i know what you meant to say, but what you actually said is absolutely incorrect. the only SLer i know of who is actually against SR4 is Crimsondude. he likes SR3, and doesn't want to see it change. the rest of us are very much pro-SR4. we're just not thrilled with the SR4 that FanPro seems to be putting out.

if SLers seem like we groupthinking, it's probably because you only see 10% of our discussion concerning any given topic. the other 90%, we conduct on SL, with the people whose opinions on those subjects we tend to value most: other SLers.
SR4-WTF?
QUOTE (Raskolnikov @ Jun 8 2005, 10:06 PM)
Yeah, it is funny how a group of people who play the same game together for years like the same things about the game.  We have similar opinons about Shadowrun, on a site dedicated to playing Shadowrun.

But I'm forbidden from mentioning it?

Critas said "we" a lot.

Then maybe he is the one you should be crapping on instead?

He did not, however, suggest that Shadowland thinks a certain way, or that it has an inherent reistance to change, for example.

Shadowland is an entity, and there are individuals within it. In the post you seem to be refering to I explicitly mentioned the difference between the two. I never said Shadowland and therefore all the people in it were of one mind, thoughout my posts I made an effort to avoid that very thing. Both in text and in my mind.

Or are you somehow arguing that Shadowland the entity does not inheretly within itself have a barrier to rules changes because of how it is logistically structured? If so maybe you should take that up with CD and Ellery [EDIT]and mfb[/EDIT]?
mfb
similar opinions != monolith, which is what's being implied.

questions concerning SL's structure should be directed to Ellery, preferably via SL's chat or mail systems. we're here to discuss SR4, not SL. despite recent posts.
SR4-WTF?
QUOTE (mfb)
similar opinions != monolith, which is what's being implied.

No it was not implied. Recheck my posts, I was very careful to not word it in the monolithic sense.
SR4-WTF?
QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (SR4-WTF?)
Gee, that seems like an inheret SL resistance to change, even when it is change preceived as being for the better.

you're absolutely right: as it stands, SL draws in new blood. if that new blood were to be driven away because we force houserules down their throats, that would be a pretty big change. in that respect, we're certainly resistant to change. as to change for the better, i'd have to disagree.

By better I meant better rules. You seemed to think the unified armed and unarmed Skill rules were better? Ellery suggested that even "stupid ones" were kept. smile.gif
mfb
i know what you meant. i was addressing what you actually said, because what you actually said acknowledges the fact that houserulings in any gaming medium require more than a simple assessment of whether the new rules makes sense, without twisting that fact into some sort of gaming Luddism. SL's purpose is to play SR, and a smattering of other games. no gaming group accepts houserules which would end the game, or they quickly cease to be gaming groups. SL is no different. had i addressed what you meant, i'd have been silent partner to your apparent view that it's more important to have good rules than it is to have a gaming group. i'm not of that view.
Raskolnikov
If you think you did not imply that, then I'll take your word that you did not mean to. You are trying to be very precise in your wording, that much is obvious. Much of the phrasing is pained and overly complex. You may be mistakenly lacking accuracy though.
SR4-WTF?
QUOTE (mfb @ Jun 8 2005, 10:51 PM)
i know what you meant. i was addressing what you actually said, because what you actually said acknowledges the fact that houserulings in any gaming medium require more than a simple assessment of whether the new rules makes sense, without twisting that fact into some sort of gaming Luddism. SL's purpose is to play SR, and a smattering of other games. no gaming group accepts houserules which would end the game, or they quickly cease to be gaming groups. SL is no different.

With SL, because of the number of people and the requirement for a critical mass, the cycle for acceptance becomes longer, for a given size change, than a typical table top. Also if the current group of SL users was to split along SR3/SR4 lines you would seriously endanger the critical mass of people to keep the world functioning at the level it is at. A single table top group usually has an easier time converting all or none. Or recovering from a split group, at least in cities. They can also switch back and forth between versions of the game or even to other games for a while to create a workable group compromise.

So while the problem exists in many gaming groups, the problem is more exasberbated for larger groups like SL.
SR4-WTF?
QUOTE (Raskolnikov @ Jun 8 2005, 10:51 PM)
If you think you did not imply that, then I'll take your word that you did not mean to.  You are trying to be very precise in your wording, that much is obvious.  Much of the phrasing is pained and overly complex.  You may be mistakenly lacking accuracy though.

Thanks for taking my word for it. Please read it that way.
mfb
QUOTE (SR4-WTF?)
So while the problem exists in many gaming groups, the problem is more exasberbated for larger groups like SL.

yes. that means we have to be careful about what changes we make. it doesn't mean we don't want change.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (SR4-WTF? @ Jun 8 2005, 08:32 PM)
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0 @ Jun 8 2005, 09:23 PM)

You are James, right?

I'm Crimsondude, and that's all you'll ever know.

QUOTE (mfb)
the only SLer i know of who is actually against SR4 is Crimsondude. he likes SR3, and doesn't want to see it change. the rest of us are very much pro-SR4. we're just not thrilled with the SR4 that FanPro seems to be putting out.

This is only partly true.

I wanted a SR4 for a while. I was really hyped about it when it was announced. But as I cooled and ultimately became aghast at what I know of SR4, I've been considering the things I didn't like about SR3 and it so happened that in doing so I evaluated some of the house rule ideas I had looking rather pathetic. So, given all of that I figured I'd rather go with the devil I know. I may tweak it later, or I may not. I don't even know what is really going to happen on SL or what most people will use (especially most newbies), but I'd rather stick with canon SR3 than try and make Crimson Shadows that is irrelevant to everyone else on SL.

But I really fail to see what this has to do with SR4 anymore.
Critias
I'm not even sure what sort of point SR4 is trying to make any more.
Crimsondude 2.0
SL sucks?

Who cares anymore?
Critias
I'm just rereading the thread, and trying to find the exact point where SL became the center of discussion instead of SR4. I see a few of us mentioning problems with the "house rule the game 'till it doesn't suck!" approach, due to the size of our gaming group. So, I mean, that's the point at which SL was introduced to the conversation... It looks like about two posts after that it became "vaguely criticise SL, and those who play there" instead of anything in particular to do with SR4, and I can't figure out why.

Care to enlighten us, WTF?
Ellery
QUOTE (SR4-WTF)
QUOTE (Ellery)
My stuff isn't a complete rebuild.  It uses all the existing mechanics of edges, flaws, and metamagics. . . . And it introduces new rules for learning metamagics (that replace the old rules) since the old rules break when you have too many metamagics.
Ya, I too think Magic needs a serious rework to keep the addons to it from snapping.
I don't consider that a very serious rework. It's a modest fiddling with the existing system--replacing one small subsystem (which occupies two pages out of the 211 pages of magic rules in the BBB & MitS) with a similar but better-structured subsystem, and adding onto the rest using existing rules.

I think the magic system could use a modest reworking. That's plenty. It already works pretty well in most cases.

QUOTE (SR4-WTF)
QUOTE (Ellery)
The problem is caused by "simple" linear trends interacting with caps and subtraction.
Funny, I see that problem stemming from trying to make things realistic and/or complex. If you don't use multiple trends to try model something in a "realistic" way you get rid of or at least reduce the chances for oddies occuring due to interactions.
You're either missing the point, or don't want a game with rules.

If you're missing the point, the point that you're missing is that at some level you do want at least a tiny bit of realism from your mechanics. Every action shouldn't be like shooting a Wand of Wonder. ("I'll shoot him!" *clatter* "You sit down and eat a cheese sandwich. Sharp cheddar, too--yum!") When you want to implement realism, the temptation is to have linear trends and caps, which often turn out poorly. That's the point.

Alternatively, if you got the point, then you apparently want to remove rules entirely--just pick what you want, for instance. So rather than having opposing weapons and armor, you just, what, let the GM decide? Have all armor and all weapons be the same? Eventually, you're not using dice any more. Diceless systems are okay, if you want to play a diceless system.

It's kind of silly to make players roll dice, but to make the effect of dice so fickle and unhelpful as to make the play the same way a diceless system plays. Just go all the way and remove the dice entirely.

QUOTE (lots of people)
Blah blah blah, SL, mumble mumble
This is pretty off-topic, isn't it, now that we've established that there exist groups that really benefit from having a good-enough set of core rules because house rules are hard to implement?

If people want to play the "let's guess which user is from group X so we can stereotype them and not listen to what they say!" game, they're free to go for it from my perspective. I don't find it very useful to do that myself, but if other people want to--well, it's their intellectual dishonesty. And if people want to note trends, while realizing that there are individual differences, that's fine too. Aside from this, I'm going to attempt to ignore all such distractions, try to stay on topic, and respond to posts on DS on the basis of what the content of the post is (and the history of content from that poster).
SR4-WTF?
QUOTE (Ellery @ Jun 9 2005, 03:46 AM)
QUOTE (SR4-WTF)
QUOTE (Ellery)
The problem is caused by "simple" linear trends interacting with caps and subtraction.
You're either missing the point, or don't want a game with rules.

If you're missing the point, the point that you're missing is that at some level you do want at least a tiny bit of realism from your mechanics. Every action shouldn't be like shooting a Wand of Wonder. ("I'll shoot him!" *clatter* "You sit down and eat a cheese sandwich. Sharp cheddar, too--yum!") When you want to implement realism, the temptation is to have linear trends and caps, which often turn out poorly. That's the point.

Alternatively, if you got the point, then you apparently want to remove rules entirely--just pick what you want, for instance. So rather than having opposing weapons and armor, you just, what, let the GM decide? Have all armor and all weapons be the same? Eventually, you're not using dice any more. Diceless systems are okay, if you want to play a diceless system.

It's kind of silly to make players roll dice, but to make the effect of dice so fickle and unhelpful as to make the play the same way a diceless system plays. Just go all the way and remove the dice entirely.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. How exactly does or don't want a game with rules jive with me giving examples for rules?

Sure I gave two, one more extreme than the other. But the first I gave contained the "realism" of it taking as long or longer to learn a metamagic from someone than it does discovering it yourself. Is it flush with lots of different variables? No, the only variable is when self taught if you have a higher, unspecified, ability that the chances increase for a shorter learning time. Not a cap in sight. The speed increase of self taught is roughly linear with the ability increase, but the underlying ability increase is likely not linear with karma purchase. Making it nonlinear. It doesn't take into account the phase of the moon, unless the underlying learning ability does. It doesn't take into account the power of the metamagic, but I went with the assumption that all metamagics are roughly the same bitesized chunks of power. It doesn't take into account the magic ability of the instructor, just whether he knows a certain technique or not.

But it does seem more than a little above a percetile role for random cheese sandwiches.

You find this inadequate modeling? It seems I got the point plenty fine. I gave an example of a paired down rule mechanism to try avoid wierd interactions and you immediately swear it might as well be diceless and procceed to want to clutter it up chasing the realism phantom.

QUOTE (lots of people)
Blah blah blah, SL, mumble mumble
This is pretty off-topic, isn't it, now that we've established that there exist groups that really benefit from having a good-enough set of core rules because house rules are hard to implement?

It doesn't seem that off topic for DSF. Witness the MA-A-GIC DE-AHR. But sure, side topic dropped and I won't reply to any outsiding questions.
Ellery
I agree that there exist cases where you can have rules even simpler than linear progressions. That was not my intended point.

Do you understand my point?

Can you come up with a equally simple mechanic for combat, or for determining who wins a race, or for casting a spell on a group of five people?
Not of this World
I'm really not impressed with what was mentioned of SR4.

I don't mind improvements, make the game run more efficient. But the description sounds like a "Shadowrun for dummies" book. Rework it and trivialize it. Rewrite the Shadowrun universe (there are no longer deckers???)

I followed SR1, I followed SR2 until it got too far whacked out from the horrors. Think I took a break and left it, coming back with SR3. Sounds like it is time to forget about any new material for SR unfortunately.

I understand the pen and paper RPG industry is hurting, but I don't think this kind of change will invigorate it. In fact I think it will only hurt it more. People expect more, not less out of their games these days.
blakkie
QUOTE (Ellery @ Jun 9 2005, 10:29 PM)
I agree that there exist cases where you can have rules even simpler than linear progressions.  That was not my intended point.

Do you understand my point?

Understand your point? Personally i'm having a hell of a time just trying to cipher out WTH you mean by linear progression if the first example rule is simpler than linear progressions.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012