Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The shadowrunner's Vehicle Garage
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Community Projects
Pages: 1, 2
Aku
Yep thats right, i'm working on one in Flash, and here is is: The Garage
or, to try

The basic design is there, and the bikes SHOULD be completely operational. Questions and comments and advice are always appreciated.

And, for easy of reference, i'm going to bold new things i add to this list, and itilacise things that are hopefully fixed.

Some of the math involved with some of these upgrades, is going to be a pain, and honestly, some things probably won't make it in there either because of mathematics
or the simple fact that theres too much of a GM variable (such as signature improvement, that sets the maximum value to "gm's option"; for those cases, i plan on having a running note file down the corner, for less substantial things.

Known Issues

It's not entirely complete! (it's still very much a work-in-progress)

Some numbers come up, well, funky, i haven't figured out why yet though, however, the values, are, as far as i can tell, correct, they just have a few extra digits..

Going back to a new chassis type keeps the old engine values until you select a new engine (so you need to reselect the engine every time)

Some buttons are bolded, some aren't, and i THINK it might change on each instance of running the program.

Probably alot more that i'm aware of and can't think of, or I'm not aware of...

Engine Customization mod is relatively finished, however, one part is still broke. It is possible to exceed the mathetmatical max by one step. For instance, if the max improvement on a 100 speed bike is 175, it IS possible to get the max to 190 because of 30 pt steps. The fix is easy, but i want to get everything else under the ATV's finished and then go back to tweak.

Fixed stuff

I broke the Fuel upgrade/downgrade...bad me
I broke some of the buttons so it is poosible to click them lower than they should go, subtracting from the DP, but having no affect on the value.
A new math issue came up, and i know why it's happening, i just haven't figure out the fix for it. On the handling values, if you start with an odd value, you can dip to .5 below, and then .5 above where you should be able to go, because my rounding isn't working (ok, well, at first, it wasn't there, and it still isn't because it's not working for me tonight.)The html garage (dont think it works but still)
Kagetenshi
1) Link to this thread in other thread is broken.

2) Don't suppose there's any chance you're willing to distribute the source? I'd be interested in possibly helping out or porting it to Python and/or Java.

~J
Nikoli
It's my experience that for GM option type things, look at the highest stock and add on the best aftermarket add-on to max it out and go from that. Afterall the GM will tell them to take a hike if it's out of their idea of scope.
Aku
Frost
1)fixed (stupid me tried linking to the compuse message URL, oops)

2) sure, won't be a problem with proper credits and all. If you know flash feel free to give me a pm, or get me on aim or yahoo (i think both of those are in my profile)

Nikoli
I plan on doing that for some things, or taking the suggested values, but there's atleast one thing i can think of, that LITTERALLY every "variable" says "gm's choice", and i dont think it even gives a reccomended value...
mrobviousjosh
This looks great and is so easy to use. Will you include modifications like weapons, armor, and nitrous? Anyway, it looks great!
Kagetenshi
They are not, as it happens, in your profile, but you've got an email now.

~J
Aku
Kage
And you now have one as well, with the information i thought you'd find in my profile.

Mrob
Thanks, i do plan on adding everything that i can figure out how to code, but i want to get all of the "basics" done first, in other words, making sure all engines, chassis and basic "design" options (as opposed to custimization) work.
Aku
New features added, and a few new problems have arisen, but i thought it prudent that I add what is there (since i forgot to do that after the past few fixes), and since the next part of the project is going tob e time consuming to say the least.

What has been fixed
Issue with Handling and the rounding problem.

(ok, so thats a short list)

Added Features

Legal Splash screen.

With the exception of entry points and seating, all other basic design features should be there for bikes. (if you see something i missed, tell me) This includes Adding fuel, speed (i think), and the base signature options. With the Signature modifications, i put an artificial limit of 2 points in, beyond that,t he DP explodes anyways, and there are other ways to reduce the signature. I could change it to three points if 2 seems too low.

What I Broke in the Process

Well, you'll notice that you can get around the maximum CF values rather easily, just by spending some, and buying more CF, and then spending it, and then buying more.. etc etc... gotta fix that (somehow)

What's Next

Planning on getting the rest of the chassis and power plants entered.
Ecclesiastes
Is there any way you could set the buttons so that when we push them and hold the fuction will repeat? Having to click the button 120 times to get speed maxed out on a race bike gets a bit tedious.
Aku
I'll play around with it, there should be (and famous last words:it should be simple...)

EDIT: so much for simple, the command i thought would do it, doesn't, but i'm not giving up. Next release however, i'll bump everything like that to 5's and i'll have everything that has an odd number of values in a "small" type category i think.
Aku
Don't you get just as giddy as i do when you see this? 'Cuz i know i'm giddy...

UPDAAAAAATES!

What i fixed

Well, almost all of the button are now, NEW! and IMPROVED! Garuntee'd to reduce Carpel Tunnels Syndrome in it's users!

Yes, thats right, most of my buttons are now of the click and hold variety. Exceptions to this are the signature options (because, well, there is only two levels), economy, because it did something funky with my formula, and the fuel increase/decrease, which, as you'll notice, is pretty much completely broken at this pooint (hehe, oops?) I know what it's doing, sort of why it's doing it, just not how to fix it (yet)

But why isn't there more done Aku?!

Because A) I'm really a total amatuer at this, and B) getting the click and hold required a near complete re-write of the code heh. With that said

Whats Next?
Either a) chassis for other types of vehicles, or B) some of the more advanced design options.
Jrayjoker
I just noticed that I could keep clicking "speed decrease" on the bikes page with the speed staying at 60 (or whatever it happened to be) and the cost kept going down.

[edit] I had to click individually to get this effect. The holddown function did not generate this error.
Aku
gah, i knew i forgot to add something to the things i broke, I knew about that, but i'm not sure how to fix it yet, either, so, just don't click past it heh
Jrayjoker
No problem.
Aku
problem band-aided, atleast for load and speed, the only two that seem to be doing it. Will be posting it in a moment
Bearclaw
Do you need help?
I'm not a programmer, but I can input .dat files if you give me a template.
Aku
Thanks for the offer Bearclaw, if you can get ahold of me on either AIM or Yahoo, I'll give you the format I'm using. They're not dat files perse, as flash doesn't use them, so all it will be is a giant text file that i then copy into the buttons in flash, but it's really the worse part of data entrying in this project. I've got all of the chassis info from slacker already, i think, so all that will be left is the power plants.

Unfortunately, there isn't anyway to template the design customization options.

aim/yahoo
[ Spoiler ]
Slacker
Hell yeah. It would be great to have somebody else working on data entry. I've been slacking off after finishing up the chassis for Aku. Haven't really worked on the powerplants at all and their going take even longer to do than the chassis since there are more pages of them.
Shadow
Aku... genius!
Aku
QUOTE (Shadow)
Aku... genius!

well, thank you shadow, but, as i'm sure slacker will gladly testify too, i sometimes seem more like an idiot than a genius when i'm working on this project.
Slacker
I wouldn't necessarily go that far. An idiot is someone unable to learn from mistakes. I think you have shown that you are adaptive, despite moments of foolishness. wink.gif

Also, your mistakes are more from lack of experience than anything else.
Aku
Holy Updates, Batman!

wow, I've gotten alot done since I last uploaded...

New Stuff

Nitrous added, Gridlink added

Suspensions Added

Lots and lots of code you don't see...added...

Stuff Broken
You'll notice that the Text box just keeps adding the changing grid link note. For now, i could change it so that the grid link is the only thing there, on or off, but at some point in the future, i'm going to need to fix it the right way, so i'll leave it as is and call it brok.errr a "feature".
Slacker
Come on. What's taking you so long to produce more updates, Aku? sarcastic.gif Its been days since you've posted anything at all.

Hehe, just kidding.

Just bored and felt like posting something here. Aku has been busy lately so nothing new yet.

Bearclaw, thanks for the offer to help with data input, but I finally got around to doing in over the weekend. So Aku now has all the chassis and powerplant data and its all up to him to do the coding for the various design options.
Shadow
Genius needs to work faster... smile.gif
Slacker
Genius just started a new job, so he doesn't have as much free time to work on it.
Aku
lol, plus genius hit another roadblock, but genius will figure it out, at some time. but yes, as egor, err slacker said, i just started a new (third shift) job, and am in training for the next few weeks, so more updates are likely to be thin, but i'll get there, hopefully before SR5 wink.gif
Slacker
Trust me, I am not letting Aku slack off too much. I am constantly harrassing him to do more work on this.
Jrayjoker
Looks good so far. Thanks.
Kagetenshi
After trying and failing to interpret the raw source of the Flash generator, I've begun my own vehicle generator in Python. I'll be releasing the source as soon as I've got a vaguely working, well-commented prototype. That being said:

One of the things I'm doing is creating a doctype definition for an XML representation of Shadowrun vehicles, chassis, power plants, and relevant attributes thereof . I'm wondering if there's any interest in making saved vehicle data sheets interoperable between the Kagetenshi Shadowrun Vehicle Generator (interim name) and the Shadowrun Vehicle Garage? I'm not sure what format you've set the Garage up to take data in, but it could benefit both projects (and anything else that might generate, modify, or read vehicles) to have a standard.

~J
Aku
well, i'll be honest, that went over my head, i think. And unfortunately, due to my total lack of actual, professional coding experience (and assuming that you have some, and that probably means my coding=shat since you can't figure out what i did)

However, as for the format for what all of the stats are in, well, it's all coded directly into the flash, because i honestly couldnt figure out how to get the variables to load from any sort of a document.
Kagetenshi
It isn't about your coding, it's about the Flash syntax—I was really not prepared for the whole program-inside-a-movie-metaphor bit. Heck, I can't even comment on your coding because of the Flash syntax and all the display-specific stuff it has sprayed all over everywhere. All told there's nearly 8,000 lines of the stuff, and I'm betting that most of it isn't yours since the stuff I can identify as vehicle-related starts somewhere around 4,000 lines in (incidentally, as you may have figured out I finally found your code—I'll comment on it once I've had a chance to look at it).

~J
Aku
i just wanted to make sure this stayed here, because this is NOT dead, i'm just having some severe trouble with getting a certain set of functions to work. Namely, getting the little things that have no numerical impact, other than load, CF and DP, onto some sort of notation set up.
Aku
ok, first, the good news:

I got the part working (hopefully)!

The bad news:

Because of some change in Flash, now only one part of the bikes section is actually working (ATV's, which is what i've been working on this whole time)

The ok news:

Within any given chassis type, the information doesnt really change much.. So i think i'm going to do some rewrites of the code to make more things into a function, and duplicate less code on the various instances of buttons.

The Bottom Line:

It will likely still be some time before we see a "new" revision of the Garage; i don't want to release something if all you can do on it is make ATV's heh...
Slacker
But what if i really want to make an ATV? I mean come on! nyahnyah.gif

Good to see your back to working on it Aku, just hope you moving in a couple of weeks doesn't cause another stall, at least not a bad one.
Aku
Again, sorry for all the delays in regards to my garage. Things are semi running smoothly at this point, i've got another set of buttons coded (for autonavigation) but, as i had said before, due to something happening (i think its the way it's supposed to work) only the ATV's are actually buildable at this point, so i want to atleast get a few more things coded before releasing it again, but i AM working on it, despite SR4 looming overhead (which i'm not even sure i'll have the money to buy) and i think it'll prolly be a year or so before the "rigger" book or whatever part it is in will get out.
Aku
Latest Update:

The last big issue i was having a problem with (trying to get a printing of some of the smaller, less mathematical things) has been SOLVED, and for once, things are moving smoothly, if not slowly. I am still working on the ATV's, has i've said before, i think i accidently fixed something so things werent copied all over the bikes now.

But, for now, my thinking is that if i can get everything to work that isn't excluded to bikes, than things should be ALOT smoother, but there are ALOT of options to be added in here.

But there IS a new version available at the link, with atleast a handful of new buttons available, say nice things (or not) just to let me know that someone out there still cares about this project.

and, as always, if you see something that you think might be wrong, or you might like to see changed/revised (names of buttons, ETC), let me know.
Aku
and again, new notes:

Did a redesign so that my options selections look more like they do in the book, instead of page after page of "options as i get to them" which is what it was turning out to be. So now theres going to be a couple of pages for the design phase of the vehicle, and pages for each of the (five?) custimization types.

Also, seemingly broke some part of the handling scores... still havent figure out what entirely i did....
Nyxll
with ATV's if you increase the load ... then decrease it ... the build cost doesn't go down. There also needs to be an option for environmentally sealing the vehicle as per target wastelands.
Aku
Nyxll-- I can't dupicate the first problem you're having just modifying load. Are you perhaps adding some other modification that is changing the load and then trying to get it back to the original value?

As for the enviro seals... it's gonna be a while. I want to get all of the rigger three stuff in it, first, and then play chase the books for all of the odd options
Nyxll
what I did was increase the load .. .then decrease it .. .then increase and decrease again ... the counter didn't go down for the last point of load....
Slacker
Nyxll's right, it seems like anytime you try to decrease the load all the way back to its original rating, the very last load decrease does not adjust the design points.
Aku
the closest i'm getting to get it to repeat, is ONLY if you add and then try to remove, 1 single point of load....
Aku
ok, i beleive i have found and fixed the problem, and have reposted the newest version.

NOTE: I do know that the vehicle armor isn't functionng as it should. Carry on, Citizens...

NOTE2Vehicle Armor add/remove SHOULD be working completely correctly now, other than it lets you go negative, like most of my buttons do.
Aku
ok, thought i'd bring everyone up to speed, incase anyone cares. Theres been ALOT of updates that i really havent kept everyone abreast of.

Almost ALL of the buttons are done for the ATV, right now by my count i only have the engine customization mod, and then signature and weapon mods, electronic systems, and then the misc ones to do, and then I'll begin porting to the other bike chasis OR do a minor rewrite, trying to make it so all of my bike chasis pages link to a seperate scene with the mods on them, i havent decided yet.

Again, if anyone notices something missing or wrong, let me know. Thanks!
Aku
another (long coming) update:

Engine custimzation and signature mods are now done.

Next up is weapon mounts. I havent decided yet if i'm going to include the weapons choices or not. I'm leaning towards likely not, as i dont have all of the weapons possible. an attempt will be made to provide some way to write in whatever weapon you are mounting.

again, as always, let me know if anything looks wrong
Aku
Yet another (overdue) update. Everything aside from the weapon mounts, and accessories are finished for the bikes. Security systems of the accessories, however, are included, ando most others, aside from the paint job, aren't relevent to bikes.

Currently working on getting a drop box for the mounts, because there are just too many buttons to make that a viable option fr weapon mounts. (I did a quick count, of just using buttons, that there'd be over 44 buttons, meaning i'd need 5 pages, JUST for weapon mounts, and since i only have ~ 13 now, that's too many.
Aku
weapon mounts are finshed, oh the joys!

Next up is finishing up the weapon dohickeys (like smartlink intergration) and then taking stock of what else needs to be done.
Pendaric
Erm a request? Would a final load: ammo magazine ratio calculator be possible?
Sterling work Aku.
*shuffle feet,cough*
(Removing self before the swearing starts) 8l
Aku
<grumble grumble...................................................grumble grumble>

ok, i'm not sure exaclt what you're asking for, as i'm comprehending the request multiple ways.

Are you asking for a load usage to final number of rounds?

or are you asking to see how many rounds you can fit in the vehicle?

In either case... I'm not sure. The problem with both is that ammo amounts arent dictated by mount type, but rather, what you're going to be putting on the mount. Consider that you can get an MMG on a mini turret, i can't "assume" what you'll be using where.

The "best" option would likely be for me to have a combo box that lets you select the type of weapon you'll be putting in a given turret.

and for the record, i'm already confusing myself thinking about it and how it would be done...

but i'm glad someone other than me and slacker is looking at it biggrin.gif
Pendaric
Right, had a long think about this:
It would be a modular ratio: Ammo bin CF space available/ type of weapon round/ final vehicle load capacity. To give the magazine limit for each weapon.

Which I realise is easy (ier) for one weapon and a knightmare for more than one.
Perhapes using an average split of the final load rating?
Or a quick and dirty average split per 0.2 of CF on the ammo bins with caps for specific ammo?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012