Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Planet of the Drop Bears
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57
Jame J
QUOTE (Grinder)
The elders are around and well. Rumours about deaths of some of them have been greatly exaggerated and are IE propaganda!

And on the other hand, the rumors of the deaths of other ones are extremely accurate, or would be but for the fact that they refer to the clones.
Angelone
Good to hear, I had feared some had bravely fallen dealing with the elves. Give the word and I will lend the might of my droptankers who will smite our enemies with a righteous furor.
Penta
Disturbing news!
nezumi
There's a line, "But their numbers have dropped..." I'm not sure how to take that.
Mortax
NO! We must attack the fires with Ares Cascades!
Fortune
Just the type of lethargic response one would expect from a bunch of rodent worshippers. biggrin.gif
nezumi
Hah, foolish keebler, you fell for our disinformation campaign! While the fires destroyed the food of regular koalas, making them more willing to join our ranks, we made it appear we were slowly trying to extinguish said fires! And you fell for it! You fool, hahahahaha! Now our secret plan is guaranteed success!
Fortune
And they call elves 'Leafbiters' ... eek.gif
Kesslan
Dear lord, this has got to be the longest running thread I have -EVER- seen. Infact I totally say that as a result, there really needs to be a whole shadowrun book specifically dedicated to the drop bear conspiracy. Or at the very least, a threats 3 book and an article about the dreaded drop bears.

Why if I had not stumbled across this thread. I too could have fallen vitcim to the dreaded drop bears!

I mean, just yesterday, I was walking in downtown Seattle. There'd been this thing on the newsa bout these wild creatuers breaking loose and, initailly I thought nothing of it, afterall I'm a runner! I can geek anything that looks at me crosseyed!...except for the drop bears. I'd never met one, but thankfully I had read this thread so knew what I had to do once I was finally confronted with the dreaded creatures!

Hang on.. I hear something...

Oh sweet.. no! NO! The eyes! Those baleful eyes! *thud* AAAARRRRGGGHHH
Butterblume
Do Dropbears perch in christmas trees?
Do Dropbears use small wrapped packages as bait for the unwary?
Do Dropbears make HoHoHo noises on the drop?
Do Dropbears wear red hats as disguise?
Kesslan
This just in!

Seattle residents are being warned to lock their doors, bar their windows, and start a fire in any chimney they may have. A recent shipment of Drop Bears ment for an animal testing lab has mysteriously been freed of their cages. These vampiric bears, have been sighted doning Santa suits and dropping down chimneys to attack the heads of the unweary.

Also in related news..

There is a drop bear above you..

Quit reading this to the viewers you iddiot!

RUN! NOW!

*drop bear lands on news anchor*

OH GOD! MY EYES! MY EYES! *screams and flails*

*Feed Cuts out*
*Notice pops up on screen*
We're sorry, but we appear to be experiencing technical difficulties. Please excuse us for the inconvinence. We will be returning you to your regularly sheduled programming as soon as the drop bears finish rampaging the city.
nezumi
Wow, I do believe we're witnessing the results of Kesslan having read the entire thread.

Twice.
Grinder
Welcome, Brother Kesslan!
Kesslan
QUOTE (nezumi)
Wow, I do believe we're witnessing the results of Kesslan having read the entire thread.

Twice.

Not quite the entire thread, but I am getting there. It has ammused me greatly. There are, in the evil depths of this thread, things that just about made me bust a gut laughing my ass off at work.

FOrtunately there's practically no one here in the middle of the night or I'd get some very odd looks indeed biggrin.gif
Mortax
QUOTE (Fortune @ Dec 19 2006, 10:06 PM)
Just the type of lethargic response one would expect from a bunch of rodent worshippers. biggrin.gif

Yes, those blasted rodent worshipers are slow. Those of us who worship vampiric marsupials on the other hand.... wink.gif
Kesslan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drop_bear#External_links

Check the bottom of the page.
Magus
Kesslan, if you have read the entire thread as all good alcolytes are supposed to you would have seen that particular link before. You must be a spy for the Elf!! Die heretic!!
Kesslan
Yes, i have seen that link before, but the item at the bottom, I will point out. Is new.
nezumi
(Suspicion turns to Magus)
Mortax
Conven the tribunal!
Magus
I declare my fanaticism to the Holy Cause of the Drop Bear. I only state that link has been shown to the Holy Brethren already. It may be in a new location but it is the same informational pic and text.Would be Brother (acolyte ) Kesslan has already stated he has NOT read the entire thread at least once. Whereas Most of the Commanders and all the Elders have gone through this Holy Document at least twice.

I submit myself to the Tribunal.
Trigger
*seven hours and 4 cases mountain dew later*

I have just read the entire drop bear conspiracy for the first time in one sitting.....

*looks over shoulder at the huddled group of drop bears chewing on eucalyptus leaves from backyard*

They showed up maybe three hours into it, about the time when my stack of empty cans began to form a temple in my living room. I think they dropped down my chimney while I was lost in the ninety one pages of the Holy Thread of Thump.

The black spots and the spinning are starting to fade now....I feel as though I just completed an ordeal, the grade 1 initiation into the tradition of the almighty ninja drop bear totem.

*bows before temple in living room* notworthy.gif notworthy.gif notworthy.gif

I understand...I understand the eucalyptation....oh Holy Drop Bear, I am your follower...
Fortune
Congrats. People must surely celebrate such a feat of endurance and willpower ... even in the pursuit of a less-than-savory cause.
Trigger
QUOTE (Fortune)
Congrats. People must surely celebrate such a feat of endurance and willpower ... even in the pursuit of a less-than-savory cause.

I will second that *pops open a refreshing can of Drop Beer*

Drop Beer for all!!
Angelone
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
All rise for the National Anthem of the Holy Empire of Thump

Drop Bears, Drop Bears über alles,
Über alles in der Welt,
Wenn es stets zu Schutz und Trutze
Brüderlich zusammenhält,
Von der Maas bis an die Memel,
Von der Etsch bis an den Belt -
Drop Bears, Drop Bears über alles,
Über alles in der Welt.

Drop Bear Frauen, Drop Bear Treue,
Drop Bear Wein und Drop Bear Sang
Sollen in der Welt behalten
Ihren alten schönen Klang,
Uns zu edler Tat begeistern
Unser ganzes Leben lang.
Drop Bear Frauen, Drop Bear Treue,
Drop Bear Wein und Drop Bear Sang

No one suspects the Drop Bears
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Oct 6 2005, 11:43 PM)
uhhh.... yeah.... I don't like Romstein either....

translation? my google-fu is lazy tonight.

Translation? It is the first two verses of Das Lied der Deutschen (aka Deutschland Uber Alles) with all referances to Germany replaced with "Drop Dears."

Drop Bears, Drop Bears above all
Above everything in the world
When, always, for protection and defense
Brothers stand together.
From the Maas to the Memel
From the Etsch to the Belt,
Drop Bears, Drop Bears above all
Above all in the world.

Drop Bear women, Drop Bear fidelity,
Drop Bear wine and Drop Bear song,
Shall retain, throughout the world,
Their old respected fame,
To inspire us to noble deeds
For the length of our lives.
Drop Bear women, Drop Bear fidelity,
Drop Bear wine and Drop Bear song.

Shamelessly copied and pasted from http://ingeb.org/Lieder/deutschl.html

Am I late for the Tribunal? I was busy subjugating the local populace and teaching them our anthem.
Mortax
So, how often do you think coyote shamans have friends that are drop bears? They seem like they would be a good team. A runner team of drop bears with a coyote shaman backing them up?
Kesslan
I assume the Coyote Shaman is just there to be cool right? I mean surely the all mighty drop bears do not need the Coyote Shaman around?
Ophis
I tried working with Coyote shamen before I joined the dbc. Our plans never worked and I'm still paying off the account we had with the company that supplied all our equipment.
Herald of Verjigorm
Coyote shamen are not neccessarily useful. An oblivious, impulsive coyote shaman is a walking distraction, but can not be counted on consistently directing meat-heads under the trees.
Mortax
Some are more subtil than others.

And it's a lot of fun to cause trouble, have corpsec chase youinto that nice innocent grove of trees, then laugh your ass off as a hord of drop bears decends......
fistandantilus4.0
After a few requests and pointing out that while it's still SR related, the DP thread really has gone off from standard SR. And so it's been moved.

Grinder
Noooo!!! The IE's confused you with their elven magic!!!
fistandantilus4.0
Nah, it was more like a general consensus. It had come up from a couple of differnet users, and seconded by "on high". If the Thread is worthy, it will surive. Be Strong Elder. cool.gif
Grinder
Now I understand: it's a test if the Holy Drop to weed out the weak. We will be strong, we will survive, we will win!

Victory is ours!
fistandantilus4.0
Through adversity, we grow
Fortune
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
Nah, it was more like a general consensus.

I wasn't aware that a couple of complaints equated to a 'general concensus'.
fistandantilus4.0
no, general consensus on the mod-ing end. It came up a few times, so i asked others, got a 2nd and 2rd opinion, and moved it.

Glad to know that you care BTW. smile.gif Your concern touches the Conspiracy deeply.
Trigger
It is not the sub-forum that makes the thread, it is the thread that makes the sub-forum. The DBC will live and thrive here as it has survived for over the last year and passed all those threads that once held the longest thread spot over it.
Kesslan
Yes! YES! WE MUST CRUSH THE OTHER THREADS!

They shall ALL come under the dominion of the drop bears!

MUAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAAA! vegm.gif
nezumi
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
got a 2nd and 2rd opinion, and moved it.

I like that he got a secord opinion.

I would like to point out that drop bears strike best from the shadows. Rather than being in the main Shadowrun forum, we are now in the quietest corner, waiting to pounce. Perhaps we should ask to be moved to the 'conventions' area, where it is quieter and darker thread (and there's the fact that we'd be convening there, in the thread). I do rather wonder how drop bears are more appropriate in 'general gaming' though...
eidolon
QUOTE (nezumi)

We usually do.
Grinder
Especially during Smarch.
emo samurai
NO THEY MOVED IT BLARGH I AM DEAD!!!
Lindt
Meh, it just means the radio light will be dark more now.

Devil rats rule!
Trigger
QUOTE (Lindt)
Meh, it just means the radio light will be dark more now.

Devil rats rule!

THUMP

thump....

thump thump

Devil Rats are no more
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (nezumi)
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Jan 2 2007, 08:56 PM)
got a 2nd and 2rd opinion, and moved it.

I would like to point out that drop bears strike best from the shadows. Rather than being in the main Shadowrun forum, we are now in the quietest corner, waiting to pounce. Perhaps we should ask to be moved to the 'conventions' area, where it is quieter and darker thread (and there's the fact that we'd be convening there, in the thread). I do rather wonder how drop bears are more appropriate in 'general gaming' though...

It's when I get to getting a 4st opinion that things start to get muddled.

Drop bears was moved because it's really taken a life of it's own and doesn't really discuss SR anymore. Rather it is a Testament to a Noble creature that has a strength all it's own, and can stand alone.

Thanks,BTW, for your support noble nezumi:
QUOTE (nezumi)
There are only a few threads and users the mods would have to ban to get me to greatly decrease my time here (drop bear thread..

Good to see your faith is strong. Drop on.
Mortax
QUOTE (Trigger)

THUMP

thump....

thump thump

Devil Rats are no more

mmmmm...tasty.
Trigger
QUOTE (Mortax)
mmmmm...tasty.

*brings out freshly grilled steaks*

Who wants some devil steak, complete with a nice HMHVV marinade and eucalyptus salad? biggrin.gif
Mortax
Please! Mmmmmm.. it's devilishly good.
Angelone
Nothing like devil steaks washed down with drop beer. *Joins the shadowque*

I was beginning to panic, I couldn't find this thread in the Shadowrun forum because I recognize it by the silly.gif smiley had to use the search function to find it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012