Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Runner Havens
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Starglyte
Just got done listening to the Origins report( thanks Adam) and what gots my interest the most is the location sourcebook Runner Havens. It was mentioned that Seattle and another city would be detailed while some extra cities mentioned with some comments. I think this is a good idea. Besides the main rulebook, this is the 4th edition book I'm looking forward to the most. Lets see a list of cities you would like to see in some of these upcoming books( there is a second book of cities planned as well).
To start off:
San Antonio, Occupied Texas- Because I live there.
Cheyenne, Sioux Nation- Would be interesting to see life in the NAN
Portland, Tir Tairngire- Elves and why everybody else hates them.
Chiba, Imperial Japan- Because cyberpunk tradition demands it.
Vladivostok, Russia- With the a border war going on, Corps moving in, and not quite communists, how can you go wrong?

Whats your wish list?

On another note, there was no word on Shadows of Latin America. Any news?
Synner
Due to several unexpected complications and difficulties that arose during development and the fact that production had to go ahead on several other important scheduled books Shadows of Latin America has been delayed indefinitely and FanPro is considering various options so the fans will still get to see the material.
Starglyte
Bummer. But thank you for the quick reply.
Bigity
San Antonio would rock as a default setting. Or some sprawl in Texas/CAS.

Vladivostok would be good for a smuggling-type game.

I dunno if I would particularly care for an Asian or European setting though, but I bet one is, as a nod to the German players.
Penta
<sobs> Not Germany, nooooooo.

(Meanwhile: I hate this. I have no speakers or other output device for sound from my PC...frown.gif)
hermit
My wish list:

- Seattle. It's Shadowrun, so Seattle has to be there, if only as a nod to all the imported SR3 characters.
- Metropole, Amazonia. A megasprawl on the brink of collapse, a gargantuan favela, ruled by eco-fascists. A wholly different take on the standard little-man-vs-evil-powers-that-be idea.
- Lisbon. Portugal is the gateway to Europe after all, the coolest setting there, and a great place to run all kinds of campaigns from, including merc campaigns.
- Hong Kong. Because it is arguably the coolest city ever. also a gateway to China and Asia in general.
- Tir Taingire (the revolution is coming!). Mainly rebel campaigns under fascist rule.
- Neo Tokyo. Cyberpunk tradition just demands it. Besides, it is the highest-tech setting imaginable, and great to play police, intelligence or sneaky campaigns (I imagine security there is tedious, this is JIS after all!)

Furthermore, a bit more background on either Johannisburg, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Denver, the Rust Belt, NAN cities, Oslo, Bern, Vienna, Paris, Vladivostok and maybe (if the German authors really fix the setting to playable state) Germany would be nice. But not mandatory.
Starglyte
From the download, Seattle is one of the cities. Was there any doubt it would not be? I agree with Metropole. The urban and natural jungle clashing. There could be a lot of stories there.

I like to add Toronto, UCAS- Very little is known about the Canadian part of UCAS.
Cynic project
QUOTE (hermit @ Jul 7 2005, 11:00 AM)

- Neo Tokyo. Cyberpunk tradition just demands it. Besides, it is the highest-tech setting imaginable, and great to play police, intelligence or sneaky campaigns (I imagine security there is tedious, this is JIS after all!)

You out of the shadowrun pool now. Neo-Tokyo is like Ally spirit that are..I can't say it, but you all know what I mean. Really, Neo-Tokyo should never happen not only because Japan is falling from power, but because this ain't the 80's anymore. Japan had 5 of 8 AAA's, one of them was the number 2 corp in the world. Now it has 3 of 10. The UCAS has 2.

Cities that I would love to see that haven't been would be New York, Mexico City (Like I am going o bow down to Aztech..) And Vatican.
hermit
The UCAS has 2? Oh yeah, itsy-bitsy Novatech ... 1/3 of an actual megacorp that magically retained Fuchi's ICC seat (and one that is likely to die in the changeover).

I'd like to see settings all over the world, on all major continents. The current setting is too NA-centered to begin with! And in SR, Japan still is the world's only superpower. Having a possible setting there is only logical.

And Vatican.

rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif

Have you EVER been there? That'd be one hell of a SR setting, being a whooping FOUR FUCKING CITY BLOCS large!!!
the_dunner
Based on what has gone before, Denver would be my first choice after Seattle.

For the other four, as long as there's at least one in Europe and one in Asia, I really don't care.
Cynic project
QUOTE (hermit)
The UCAS has 2? Oh yeah, itsy-bitsy Novatech ... 1/3 of an actual megacorp that magically retained Fuchi's ICC seat (and one that is likely to die in the changeover).

I'd like to see settings all over the world, on all major continents. The current setting is too NA-centered to begin with! And in SR, Japan still is the world's only superpower. Having a possible setting there is only logical.

And Vatican.

rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif

Have you EVER been there? That'd be one hell of a SR setting, being a whooping FOUR FUCKING CITY BLOCS large!!!

Um, it is the smallest the 13 biggest corp in the world. It is the smallest AAA. But the only AA that is said to be bigger than it is ZIC, and ZIC is about as big as Cross or Wuxing. Should those be counted as being small?

And the Vtican was a joke. Unlike Neo-Tokyo it's real.
hermit
Eh ... The Eurocorps are underrated anyway ... it's a bit of a mess, really. Germany SB made many way bigger than they ought to have been (and completely marginalised SK). London SB introduced ZIC, which was only marginally better.

AAA status isn't related to size only, however.

Unlike Neo-Tokyo it's real.

Sorry, Neotokyo got a mention in LA, so as far as SR is concerned, it's real, too.
SL James
QUOTE (Starglyte)
San Antonio, Occupied Texas- Because I live there.

I'm sorry, but I think you misspelled Mexico.

QUOTE (Synner)
Due to several unexpected complications and difficulties that arose during development and the fact that production had to go ahead on several other important scheduled books Shadows of Latin America has been delayed indefinitely and FanPro is considering various options so the fans will still get to see the material.

That sucks.

Anyway, my list.

Seattle - Why not? Never heard a peep out of Seattle in SR.

Santa Fe - Because I'd like to see them explain what's written about it from the old NAN volume 1 and the PCC chapter of Shadows of North America.

Bogotá - I can't be alone in wanting to know more about a city split between Amazonia and freakin' Aztlan.

Hong Kong - Because it's always seemed more interesting than Japan.

Moscow - I like Russians.

London - Great city, even (maybe especially) with the pseudo-fascist government.

Whichever city replaced Tehran as the capital of Iran. I like Persians, too.
Starglyte
Nope, I think the area south of Occupied Texas is spelled Aztlan, but I have been wrong before. Soon it will all be Texas again. Real soon.<Sons of Alamo propaganda>

You are right on one thing though. Russians are cool. Is St. Petersburg called Leningrad in SR? Anybody know?
Taki
Pragues for mixing old town, very old forest with high tech. Close to russians as well ...
Synner
Note that SoA will cover a lot of the sprawls mentioned above, though in nowhere near the same detail as the SR4 setting books will.

For the record my list is:
Seattle
Metropole
Lisbon (I'm biased though)
Prague
Hong Kong
Neo-Tokyo
Cheops
The only problem with adding Japan as a setting is that it would be hard to run a group there unless it contains no metahumans. Here's my wish list:

Seattle
Denver
Metropole
Calcutta
Constantinople
Lisbon
SL James
QUOTE (Starglyte)
Nope, I think the area south of Occupied Texas is spelled Aztlan, but I have been wrong before. Soon it will all be Texas again. Real soon.<Sons of Alamo propaganda>

You are right on one thing though. Russians are cool. Is St. Petersburg called Leningrad in SR? Anybody know?

I meant IRL, though.

And it's still called St. Petersburg. At least, it was in Smuggler Havens.
hermit
Well, a new Republic of Texas (maybe under a new Antonio López de Santa Anna wink.gif ) would certainly be an interesting addition to the NA map. Maybe forged in a CAS/Aztlan war that leaves both countries devastated?
JongWK
Seattle
Metropole
Hong Kong
Neo Tokyo
One Eurocity (Paris, Lisbon or Rome... could be London or Prague)
Constantinople
One East Coast city (Washington DC, mainly)

My secret wish, though:

Mars
Starglyte
QUOTE (SL James)
QUOTE (Starglyte @ Jul 7 2005, 11:40 AM)

I meant IRL, though.

And it's still called St. Petersburg. At least, it was in Smuggler Havens.

Sorry I missed the joke. I am from Texas after all.
SL James
NP, Starglyte.

QUOTE (JongWK)
One East Coast city (Washington DC, mainly)

Why? The only thing going on there according to Shadows of North America is politics. It's not like there are any businesses or industries in the Washington metro area. No IT sector. No biomedical industry. Nothing's going on in DeeCee.
Synner
That might change soon enough...
SL James
It should have never been that way.

The DeeCee section of the UCAS chapter was nothing more than a mental abortion, and I can figure that out just from reading copies of the Washington Business Journal.
Clyde
Miami. cool.gif
Supercilious
Chicago (I wanna know if the UB is gone for good, or if they were only wounded).

Seattle (Naturally)

Johannesburg ('Cus I never seem to hear anything about Africa)

Aswell as most of the others listed above, especially the Latin American ones.
Cynic project
QUOTE (hermit)
Eh ... The Eurocorps are underrated anyway ... it's a bit of a mess, really. Germany SB made many way bigger than they ought to have been (and completely marginalised SK). London SB introduced ZIC, which was only marginally better.

AAA status isn't related to size only, however.

Unlike Neo-Tokyo it's real.

Sorry, Neotokyo got a mention in LA, so as far as SR is concerned, it's real, too.

And what page did Neo-fuck-Anime-Fanboys-Tokyo Sorry Neo-tokyo gets it spotlight in LA?

I think ZIC is a damned awesome corp. They just are ruthless and pragmatic to the core.

So if it is not just size that makes a AAA, then the fact that Nova tech is huge still doesn't hurt it's status as one the biggest corp in the world. It mean That NA has 5 out 13 CC votes. Three of them are are from the UCAS. Japan has Four. You can see how power has shifted. Japan used to have 8 votes. Oh Who got the boned by big D?Did you say Japan? Oh, yes it did!
Cheops
Ooh...can I change my answer...forget lisbon I want Miami too!
hermit
Cynic, keep the flag waving for some other forums, okay? It's getting a tad annoying.
sanctusmortis
Seattle (have to)
Florida (update on Saito)
Metropole (or indeed anything Aztlan)
Bangkok (that bit grittier than Hong Kong)
St Petersburg (yay! Commienazis!)
Sydney (don't hear much about the Aussies)
SL James
QUOTE (sanctusmortis)

Sydney (don't hear much about the Aussies)

Just half a sourcebook.
hermit

Wrong coast, man!

Metropole (or indeed anything Aztlan)

Again, wrong continent!

FYI, Saito is in California, and Metropole is in Amazonia. smile.gif
Grinder
Most of the cities will hopefully be covered in detail in the upcoming Shadows of... books - whenever they will be released....
hermit
SoA is due in three to four weeks, according to the audio file on FanPro US's site. SoLA has been postponed indefinitly due to some unspecified problems, according to Synner.
Grinder
Yeah. Too bad with the pushed back release date of SoLA. frown.gif
hermit
Yup, it's a shame, I was very much looking forward to that, especially Metropole.
Zen Shooter01
Does anybody else think it's a little weird that they're doing a setting book before the core rule books? It suggests to me that there won't be much setting material in the BBB.
Grinder
SoA and SoLA had been planned for a longer time. I would like to know if they fill the gap between 2060 and 2070 in SoLA when they releasing it after october?

First "real" SR4 supplement will be Street Magic iirc.
SL James
QUOTE (Zen Shooter01)
Does anybody else think it's a little weird that they're doing a setting book before the core rule books? It suggests to me that there won't be much setting material in the BBB.

I think it's insane that given the ubiqituous nature of the wireless Matrix that "Unwired" didn't immediately come to mind to be the first supplement, rules or otherwise, after the core book.
Synner
QUOTE (Grinder @ Jul 8 2005, 12:45 PM)
SoA and SoLA had been planned for a longer time. I would like to know if they fill the gap between 2060 and 2070 in SoLA when they releasing it after october?

Though it's suffered some delays SoLA is complete and has been written for some time now. The content is set in 2064 and it is unlikely that the material will be revised to update events during the 2064-2070 period.

FanPro is currently considering several possibilities for updating any necessary background in the Shadows of series after the the release of SR4 - although I reiterate that vast majority of the material in those books will remain completely relevant and useable.

That is with the exception of areas which according to Rob have been "nuked" in System Failure.
Grinder
Nuked? Sounds.... interesting. wink.gif

I know that lot of the background material will be useable, but an update-book would be nice. I.e. whose in the security council of the UN, what's the status of the Yucatan rebellion, what happened in Poland? etcpp.
SL James
He specifically said, "it also has sections on the fallout of the, uh, like the immediate effect of the crash, which are scattered and not the same worldwide. Some areas get hit really hard, some areas get pretty much nuked off the map, um, some areas really don't feel much of an effect at all."
FlakJacket
Some random ideas,

Beirut - Large seaport and distribution centre, they're trying to build themselves into the banking/tech centre for the Middle East, espionage hotspot according to SotA as the backdoor into and out of Israwl/Middle East, battleground for influence between the NIJ/Israel/Aden, and I think they need at least one regional city

Metropole - One of the worlds largest cities set against the largest jungles rules by great dragons

Hong Kong - Gateway into the Chinese warlord states and SE Asia, Wuxing and the PPG - favourites of mine - are based here, with it being more open and all the different warlord states like the Canton Confederacy around it it just seems much more interesting/playable than Japan

Vladivosok - Smuggling nexus, their own data haven, have those crazy mind melding Yakutians and civil war to the north, plus I just think a Russian location would be good

Santa Fe - The PCC intrigues me as one of the few stable and prosperous north American countries, funky governmental system, they invaded California so they're no shrinking violets, also sitting right next to Aztlan and the CAS neither of which they're on the best or relations with

Bogotá - Massive tussle between Amazonia, Aztlan, Colombian nationalists, corps and the Ghost Cartels for power and influence, if you can't make something out of this then just stop trying

London - English speaking so easy to get into, lots happening internally with the revolution and corps, home to - the UK at least - a cople of interesting and active great dragons, but yes I am a little biased smile.gif

Prague - Nice mix of the old and the new, good base for covering eastern Europe, meant to be fairly open to people - if a little PC Nazi about it, the whole magic business as well

Denver -

Constantinople - You've got the Balkans to the west, the Middle East the other side, sits atop a major trade route and has its own mercenary force, possibly room for a reconquest of the rest of Turkey and/or general fun

Miami - With Gunderson gone you're a lot more free to operate and stands as a good jumping off point for the Carrib League and the area in general - including the CAS

New Orleans - Don't try to argue, just put it in smile.gif

Cape Town - Azania's the only really developed part of southern Africa - discounting Namibia since communist republics tend to be a bit more controlling, place is a mess internally so lots of ideas there, good base of operations for up to the Congo

Montevideo / Buenos Aires / Santiago - Rather than just Aztlan and Amazonia I'd like to hear a little more about the other countries down there, pick one and run with it

Auckland / Canberra - Not these two cities specifically, but should have a city covering the Oceana region IMO, also the bonus of no real language barrier and a reduced cultural one
Nyxll
Could alot of this project be done on the wiki?

I was just reading some of the data, it would be awesome to flush it out there.

It just takes a few people to come up with some ideas and research a major city or two in their area of expertise. I was thinking of working on Toronto and Ottawa.
Adam
QUOTE (Zen Shooter01)

Setting books have been released before the advanced rulebooks in every edition of Shadowrun.

So no, I'd say it would be "perfectly normal."

Oh, and there's more setting material in SR4 than in any previous edition of Shadowrun.
Grinder
Some locations had already been covered and i'm sure places like Beirut, Hongkong or Metropole will be covered en detail in the upcoming So..books.

Vladivostok & New Orleans are in Target: Smuggler Havens
London: London-Sb
Prag: SoE
Constantinople & Bogota: Shadows of Asia & SoLA?
Miami: Cyberpirates
Montevideo / Buenos Aires / Santiago: SoLA?
Auckland: T:AL (althoough i'm not sure)
SL James
QUOTE (FlakJacket @ Jul 8 2005, 08:39 AM)
Santa Fe - The PCC intrigues me as one of the few stable and prosperous north American countries, funky governmental system, they invaded California so they're no shrinking violets, also sitting right next to Aztlan and the CAS neither of which they're on the best or relations with

yeah, I see three major problems with that one.

1. The city as described in canon has virtually no connection to reality. While it's not a bad thing, per se, reality is more interesting that what was written in the NAN book and Shadows of North America.

2. There are several cities in PCC proper (i.e., pre-annexation of southern California) that are larger than SF and more likely to have sustainable shadow communities. There are too many people who know too much about too many people's business.

3. PCC, as it has been written in the totality of all written materials, currently sits at the top or near to the top of places that will, "get pretty much nuked off the map" when the Matrix crashes.

All those aside, it'd make for an interesting challenge to create a setting. One of the more pressing problems being that "Latinos" were grandfathered in NANners, and that in the part of PCC that was New Mexico they outnumber Indians by 4:1 (It's even higher in the Arizona area), yet have virtually no representation at all in the materials.
Demonseed Elite
My preferences list (Seattle being assumed):

Hong Kong
Neo-Tokyo
Constantinople
Cape Town
Metropole

And some European or North American city. I'm more open on this one, because most of them would depend on what we could do with them. London or Paris could be cool, as could someplace like Chicago or Miami.
JongWK
Beirut - Large seaport and distribution centre, they're trying to build themselves into the banking/tech centre for the Middle East, espionage hotspot according to SotA as the backdoor into and out of Israwl/Middle East, battleground for influence between the NIJ/Israel/Aden, and I think they need at least one regional city

Check SoA when it comes out.

Metropole - One of the worlds largest cities set against the largest jungles rules by great dragons

Small correction: with 200 million inhabitants, Metropole is the largest city in the world. Period.

Honk Kong & Vladivostok

Again, check SoA. *pimp mode: ON* wink.gif

Cape Town

I knew I was forgetting something in my list.

Bogotá, Montevideo, Buenos Aires & Santiago

Here's hoping that SoLA sees the light some day, one way or another.

I especially like Buenos Aires. Great chapter.

Starglyte
QUOTE (JongWK)

Check SoA when it comes out.
Honk Kong & Vladivostok

Again, check SoA. *pimp mode: ON* wink.gif

But I want SOA now!<Insert sounds of spoiled child whining>

In all serious, can't wait for more Japanese and Russian goodness. No need to pimp, just tell me where to send the money.

I should add Honolulu, Kingdom of Hawaii to my wish list of cities. It would be a chance to clear up the info.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012