Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gencon: Question on events
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Convention Information
Phoniex
Hello All

I was just looking at what Shadowrun events were being held at Gencon, and all i could find was tons of the "shadowrun mission" game. Now while i happily signed up for this event... once. I was just wondering if there was another shadowrun game? I know the event calendar at Origins also had a expert level Arcology run. I was just wondering if that event will be held again. And if it is, well what time is it and has it been named shadowrun missions by mistake?

Otherwise, I know SR4 should be for sale at this event. When exacally will the store be open? smile.gif Also is there a, I don't know... a big production or explaination or speech or whatever that will be done before the books are actually for sale? Or will it be .. oh its 10am on thursday *plop goes the case of books on the table, get out sharpie and lable the box $XX.XX per book"? biggrin.gif Also if there is a specific "talk to the producers/developers" time.. when will it be?

Anyway, as of now hopefully see some of you at Gencon *crosses fingers*.

Later
the_dunner
This probably should be moved into another forum, but ...

The FanPro master list of events is here on the srrpg web site.

Also, there are 28 total tables of Shadowrun Missions being run, but they're not all the same event. The individual missions listings are up on the master list site I linked to above. More info on the Shadowrun Missions campaign is available at the Missions link on the main srrpg web site.

HTH! See ya there.
JM Hardy
FYI, the Saturday 11 AM forum should have information about the fortcoming SR novels, with possible appearances by some of the authors.

Jason H.
Bull
Moved to the Convention Forum. And, yeah, what they said smile.gif

Bull
Lindt
Yeah, it just takes some creative sorting to remove all the "SRMissions" games. Besides, why would you wanna do those =p The one off games are so much more.... crazy.
Mr. Man
The one off games are so much more.... crazy.

By "crazy" do you mean "half-assed"? I played most of the FanPro one off games a couple of years ago and only a few seemed to have much in the way of planning behind them.

That said, I'm giving them another chance this year (mostly because none of the Missions events had descriptions when Gen Con pre-reg opened).
Lindt
Sadly you wont be able to play 'most' of them this year due to their schedualing. A lot of them are morning games (which sucks...)
Phoniex
Sorry about posting this in the wrong forum, hehe took me a minute to even find this forum. Been here years and I don't think i have gone past the main SR forum:) hehe anyway. Thanks for the info update.

Ok now a bad question. So from the gencon website, I saw that pre-registration closed yesterday. Stupid me assumed that would just mean that I could no longer buy a badge at the cheaper price online.. now they have taken down event pre-registration. Which, well to me when they added things not a week ago.. well i never even thought that they would be that clueless. Anyway, all my group and I can do now is bring generics and hope?

Also word on when the books go on sale?smile.gif

Thanks cya around cool.gif
grendel
Yes, bring generics. It'll be about 50/50 whether or not you can get into a game. Usually only one or two slots in a game are open, though, so don't expect to be able to fit in a big group of people.

Also, if you're looking for games, ask around. A fair number of unscheduled 'pick-up' games are played at the con. If I'm not doing anything else for an event slot, I can usually be persuaded to run something.

Books go on sale as soon as the exhibit hall opens. No running, please.
Lindt
They do? Sweetness.

Yep, check for pick-up or room games. I might be running an off the cuff game some time.

Depends on how burnt-out/drunk I get.
Phoniex
Hello again. I was just browsing through the gencon events catilog and I found i think a total of about 8 SR4 games total going on. All completely booked up of course. ohplease.gif I did also find tons of 3rd edition games. Which is great. A group of friends and I are going up to the con together and we are definately going to play in the corporate ghost 3 day trail by fire:) I just wanted to know if more introductory sr4 games were going to be run? Are there going to be random "pick up" sr4 games done by fanpro or are the few I saw all thats officially going to happen?

Also what is this 3 day corporate ghost game like? Pre- gen'ed characters or not, how large will teams be? If its 6 or 8, and if we would rather just go with 5 is that ok? I saw in the origins event catilog a 3 day archeology event as well. Will that be run again? Too many questions for such little time. Any response is welcome!

Adam
I think the plan is to have regular SR4 demos at the booth in addition to the scheduled games. Check at the booth for a schedule and signup sheets.

Characters are provided for Corporate Ghost. Teams will be up to 8 people -- if all the tables aren't full you can play with less than that, and the con team does their best to accomodate groups that want to play together.

Renraku Arcology: Survivor will not be run at GenCon.
Dashifen
Are (silent) voyuers welcome at the SR4 games even if they're full up on players?
the_dunner
That'll vary from GM to GM. If you just want to learn the system/see it in action, a booth demo will probably be your best bet. smile.gif
Dashifen
True ... are the booth demos on a schedule or do I just wandering over and hope for the best

/me is a gencon newbie.
the_dunner
I'm not sure how they'll be running them this year, but your best bet would be just to wander over to the booth, and see what's happening. Odds are, they'll run one every time they have at least 2 or 3 interested players. smile.gif
Phoniex
Ok.. whats the difference between a booth demo and a sr4 game?

And anyone who has been to this convention center before, got any good advice on parking? From what i saw from the gencon website there were tons of options.. any in particular that might be good?

Also any good restaurants that you just cant miss, any food type is welcome.. well almost any:)

Digital Heroin
Am I completely irresponsible for wanting to book everything tommorrow and just go to GenCon... seriously, I've looked everything but the hotel up (found a hostel but they don't have avaliability)...
Adam
QUOTE (Phoniex)
Ok.. whats the difference between a booth demo and a sr4 game?

Games are four hours; demo games are two hours. However, booth demos are often shorter.
Phoniex
QUOTE (Digital Heroin)
Am I completely irresponsible for wanting to book everything tommorrow and just go to GenCon... seriously, I've looked everything but the hotel up (found a hostel but they don't have avaliability)...

no your only bad if you
1) don't have the money to go or can't afford it (rent or gencon, sorry you have to choose rent)
2) will get you in trouble with wife/sig. other or work/school
3) take my spot in any game i want to play smile.gif

besides your only what like a 6 hour drive down? wink.gif

ps you can still find a hotel room, you will just be several miles from the convention center. But whats the difference if its not in walking distance anyway biggrin.gif
Digital Heroin
Um... unless I'm mistaken I'm a 41 hour drive from Indianapolis... unless I have the wrong GenCon in mind... but I've figured flights and hotel to run me just enough I'll have plenty of money left over for food and books and junk, all without having to dip into my "no touchy you fool" money... so cash-wise it's a go...

Hotels at the airport have shuttles, so as long as I'm close to one of them, I am gravy...
Adam
If you're serious about making a last minute trip, I suspect you'll still be able to find spots at smaller/non-fancy hotels within about a 10 mile radius of the convention center, and even with taxis to the con, probably still cheaper than an airport hotel.
Phoniex
QUOTE (Digital Heroin)
Um... unless I'm mistaken I'm a 41 hour drive from Indianapolis... unless I have the wrong GenCon in mind... but I've figured flights and hotel to run me just enough I'll have plenty of money left over for food and books and junk, all without having to dip into my "no touchy you fool" money... so cash-wise it's a go...

Hotels at the airport have shuttles, so as long as I'm close to one of them, I am gravy...

Opps i just saw canada and for some reason Toranto stuck in my mind. After looking up where you are.. yes you sir need a airplane. Yes there seems to be 5 gencons (www.gencon.com), but only 1 Indianapolis. But be warned, you still must ceed all games to me biggrin.gif
Digital Heroin
I have done more than just that... citing the fact I would have had to buy tickets the day before flying, I have backed out... I shall wait now until a nearer con to me, and then get my geek on...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012