Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A spot of random...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2
Digital Heroin
I've tried running a few involved games in the past, only to have RealLife™ hoof me in the junk. So, what's a guy to do when he wants his God-fix? Simple... he creates a non-campaign fun game... but in what form, you ask? Well the answer to that is simple: a classic victim game.

What's a victim game? I'm glad you asked... ok, so maybe you didn't, but I'll answer anyway. A victim game is one that is part suspense, part comedy, and a whole lot of bloody horror. Rather than play a well fleshed out character which you have a lot of time and possibly emotion invested in, you play a series of hapless norms with little/no skill and only a vague framework to go off of. Your hapless character is thrown into a seemingly normal environment gone mad (picture a zombie horror as a good example), and has to fight not only the Big Bad™, but also the other players.

What does this allow? Not only does it allow good old bloody fun where you don't really need to worry if your character dies (there will be an ongoing pool), but it also gives you a chance to play something you might never have played before... oh, and you get to kill the other players too.

So here's the deal: I want to run this purely have fun and destress victim's game, and I'm looking for people to play. I'll likely cut it off at ten willing bodies, because anymore could get too crazy (though I'll consider opening up slots if things work out well, or even taking on a second gamemaster). All I need right now is to know who is interested, and I'll present what I need from you, which will likely be a small pool of characters (though don't get attatched to them). I'm already cooking the opening gambit in my head, so all that remains is for you to flock to the slaugher.
Shadow
Is this going to be set in Shadowrun? Or is it just using the SR rules...
Slipshade
Count me in.

I hardly ever care if a character dies and in a game like this it is pretty much expected. Besides I am always the one that loves to investigate the rasping breathing at the end of a darkened hallway. smile.gif

Shadow - Sometimes these games are completely free form with no rules at all, which is why players shouldn't get attatched to characters. Sometimes the zombie has to snack on someone and if your are closest, well the only thing you can do is die like a champ.

Digital Heroin
Oh it will indeed be set in the SR universe... *nod* Who knows, I may eventually decide a few people get to survive, and they'll get to evolve into a future project of mine...
Slipshade
Going horror or more pulp fictionish on this one DH?
Digital Heroin
Horror-comedy... blame Bubba Ho-Tep for that...
Kaosaur
Hell, count me in on this one.
Slipshade
QUOTE (Digital Heroin)
Horror-comedy... blame Bubba Ho-Tep for that...

I have that in my Netflix que. Can't wait. smile.gif
paul_HArkonen
I'm in. I do want to know what the character creation rules are. I'll assume weaker than normal given that these are norms, but I'd like to know what I'm working with.

Either way, sounds like fun.
Thomas
OK, I’ll speak up for this group of losers from the movie Raising Arizona:
[ Spoiler ]

That’s a half-dozen character ideas I’d like to put through SR.
rotfl.gif
viggo
hell, count me in. This is how I play Shadowrun normally.
Slacker
Sounds interesting, i'd be up for it too.
gobogen
I'm in. I'd love to finally get to play a news writer in shadowrun.
Blitz
Oh, this sounds like WAY to much fun not to be involved! Count me in as well!
Digital Heroin
Alrighty then, looks like I've got a good group of people lined up, so here's the basics on what I'll want from you all for victims:

First, make a single `prime` character using the following rules:

• 40bp (you would be suprised what you can accomplish with this, I have a 40bp decker lying around);
• No restriction on attributes;
• Max of 4 in one skill, 3 in the rest;
• No gear over 3 rating;

Remember this is a rules lite game, so don't go into too much detail. Include stats, skills, and a few bits of gear. Background need be no more than a few lines.

After you have the first character built, I'll need for concepts for other victims, ones that are just total Joe and Jane nobody, but with a quirk or two. The sky is the limit with this, so go wild, but all I need is a one or two line blurb on who the character is, and a name.

Examples from the last game I was in like this were a wheelchair bound genius kid (who was the only one to live, despite being shot three times), and a trailer park trash wheelchair theif.

The emphasis is going to be on oddballs, but even totally normal people have their place, so don't feel everyone has to be crazy.

Here's the catch: everyone of the submitted characters, `prime` and norm, goes into a pool. I'll also be adding a stack of other characters into the mix, some of them possibly more equipped than others. At the start of the game, I'll be randomly drawing a character for everyone to play. That means that you may end up playing someone else's concept altogether.

I will be providing stats for all of the concepts, and don't be suprised if some of them actually come out better equipped to survive than the `prime` characters. From only two lines, you might be able to derive someone quite useful. All background rolls in the game will be made by me, so there's nothing to worry about but jumping into the mind of whoever you end up controlling, and having fun.
Digital Heroin
Oh, and for those submissions, send them to digitalheroin@NIMLAS.org
Slacker
Since you didn't mention them, I assume edges/flaws are out. Right?
Digital Heroin
Within reason they are ok, but remember even the 'prime' characters are just victims, they will die as horribly at anyone else...

Oh, and one note about the e-mails, please just enclose all info in the text, that adress doesn't accept attatchments...
Digital Heroin
Anyone still interested in this?
Blitz
Sorry, been a busy weekend. I should have a character to you by tomorrow night or Tuesday morning.
paul_HArkonen
when do you want the characters? I just got back to my books and I want to make sure I'm not too late.
Digital Heroin
I'm thinking Friday at the latest, but it's all good... remember, details aren't key, just the essence of the chatacter/concepts...
Slacker
I've created a prime character, just having a brain fart trying to think of other concepts.

Hopefully my brain will start working again soon.
Digital Heroin
When in doubt, go with the midget supermodel... no seriously, that would be an acceptable, and amusing, concept...
Slipshade
Life got busy again, so you will have to go on with the carnage without me. Can't wait to read about it though. smile.gif
gobogen
I have just made up characters and sent them to your email address.

~gobogen
Digital Heroin
Slipshade - RealLife™ concerns are totally understandable.

gobogen - That is one scary `prime` character, and totally in line with the comedic style I'm hoping for, as are the concepts. Top notch all round.
Blitz
Ok. finished with the character sheet. Can you take NSRCG files Digital?
Digital Heroin
Unfortunately my only decent working e-mail address at the moment doesn't accept attatchments.
Blitz
Suck.
paul_HArkonen
I have in mind a slew of oddball "norms" but nothing really in mind for a prime character... Oh well I'll think of something.
gobogen
QUOTE (Digital Heroin @ Jul 25 2005, 03:07 PM)
gobogen - That is one scary `prime` character, and totally in line with the comedic style I'm hoping for, as are the concepts. Top notch all round.

thanks smile.gif

glad we're on the same page (and it did help to know that I might not have to play it myself nyahnyah.gif)

Edit: You might consider getting a free hotmail address for up to 2 megs of attachment.
Blitz
Or yahoo.mail smile.gif
Digital Heroin
I've got a hotmail adress, but it's inacessible from work... my work e-mail accepts atatchments, but there's the issue of possibly getting formally charged for misuse, which isna a good thing...

Regarding `prime` characters, they need not be serious at all... take the one I'm throwing in, Mr. G, he's considered prime, but a ghoul pimp is only so useful...
Blitz
Was mine not comedic enough?
Digital Heroin
No worries, I'm loving all of the submissions I've got so far. biggrin.gif
gobogen
so what's happening ?
paul_HArkonen
DH had posted on LiTS OOC that he was being sent back out to sea, so I don't know if he's gonna be able to run this here...
Blitz
Thanks for the (sucky) update.

:`(
FrostyNSO
Is this still open?

I'd like to try out a 20-year old kid who works the night shift as a ditch (read:grave) digger at a funeral home.
Digital Heroin
Contrary to unpopular belief... nyahnyah.gif ...I am not yet at sea, but even then, given the RulesLite nature of this game, I should be able to update it at least every few days... right now I'm just doing final prepwork, and yes, there is room for another player... the pool is growing, but remember, prime aren't the only needed, even if all you have is "drunken midget" toss me some pool concepts along with that prime... I'll be posting the opener (as well as pulling initial characters for everyone) after a short roll call near the end of the week...
paul_HArkonen
My apologies for starting that atrocious rumor then, and glad to see you'll be with us.
gobogen
RUMOR TIME IS BACK !!! cool.gif
Digital Heroin
No rumors!

*l* Alright folks... roll call, then it's on to random assignment of characters, and intro time...
paul_HArkonen
Present, at least until the end of this week. I'm gonna be gone next week but then be back for quite some time.
Blitz
I'm here and available....until Gencon smile.gif
gobogen
I'm in. Although I heard a rumor that DH was going to depart with the next space mission.. grinbig.gif
Digital Heroin
Aye, I'm going to be the first super intelligent ape to roller skate on Mars...
paul_HArkonen
Damn, that's been my life goal...
Thomas
Ahhh, healthy GM/player competition.

I’m still in… smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012