Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Could you/would you play Shadowrun online?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
ShadowDragon8685
I think the anwers pretty much speak for themselves.

PS: I'm in the "I would if I coul find some fraggers to play with" catagory, if anyone is looking for someone with no small amount of free time and no great life to play with. smile.gif
Critias
Yeah, I'd play.
ShadowDragon8685
What's this... How's it work, is it like a forum?
Kagetenshi
AIM chatroom. //roll for life. Now if only I could stab their backend (and clients, for that matter) into being decent…

~J
Critias
On-line BBS, basically. Forum style (in that we all post stuff), pages are accessed via a java-based file tree (I think that's the official term, anyways).

Folders organize the whole schpiel -- The Sixth World is a folder with folders in it, one of those folders is the Seattle Metroplex with more folders, one of those folders is Redmond with more folders, one of the Redmond folders might be my bar (The Hollow Point), with a pair of pages (finally!), one for outside, one for inside, and one for OOC (die rolls, questions and answers, basically anything behind the scenes or numbers-based).

When you click around in the file tree to open all those folders and eventually get to a page -- the "page" buttons take over your other web browser screen, and show you the HTML-coded page text (complete with everyone else's posts, so far). You take a look at what the room looks like in the body of the page, take a look at what's going on around you in the posts others have put there to this point, and then you post something and join in the fun.

MFB or Ellery or Rask or Wireknight might be able to explain it a bit better. I'm at work, and thinking more technically than I probably need to. Come on by -- get a login, poke around the T6W folder and see how we do stuff, and see if you think you might like it.
mfb
he pretty much explained everything. you do need to make sure you turn off pop-ups for the site. there aren't any ads, but the java browser and the browsing window are both blocked by pop-up blockers.
ShadowDragon8685
Neh... I'm not too thrilled by BBS's. I like my action in real-time. smile.gif
Euchrid
Paranoia has a good, unofficial online playing system. There's a chat application, JParanoia, designed specifially for the requirements of running the game, and a website, Paranoia Live (www.paranoia-live.net), where GMs advertise games and players sign up.

Such a system could work perfectly well for Shadowrun.
nezumi
What's OpenRPG, WebRPG?

I already say yes, either way. I run a number of games on www.rpol.net.
Trax
I play on irc for all my pnp needs, like D&D and Shadowrun.
Capt. Dave
Real life, baby, nothing's better. Playing online just dilutes all the fun of playing with people face-to-face, IMHO.
Nikoli
I play here on the forums, and I would use other means like Open RPG if it was a little easier to use.
Foreigner
I've probably said it before, but I'm a member of Sahandrian's online group, although I haven't played a game in over two years.

Unless things have changed, they still play by AOL Instant Messenger or by chat.

--Foreigner
Aku
"other" I'm running both a forum game, and a game on openrpg, and i'm joining another forum game.

And for those of you that think openRPG is a pain, send me a message if ya want and i'll do my best to introduce you to it. THe players end of it really is simple.
Kagetenshi
Simple, eh? Maybe you can help me, then. I keep getting

[ Spoiler ]

Remember, kids, if you're going to write a program using entirely cross-platform tools, make sure it works cross-platform.

~J, not the biggest fan of OpenRPG as it's currently implemented
Slacker
QUOTE (Aku)
"other" I'm running both a forum game, and a game on openrpg, and i'm joining another forum game.

And for those of you that think openRPG is a pain, send me a message if ya want and i'll do my best to introduce you to it. THe players end of it really is simple.

Like you have time for that. You're supposed to be working on The Garage, aku.

So get back to work and quit slacking off. sarcastic.gif
nezumi
QUOTE (Capt. Dave)
Real life, baby, nothing's better. Playing online just dilutes all the fun of playing with people face-to-face, IMHO.

I'd agree, but they generally frown upon me throwing dice and openly reading manuals here in the office. At least if I do it online, it's no more suspicious than all the people who spend all day checking e-mail.
Stormdrake
Have great difficulty finding anyone to play Shadowrun out here in Denver so will take it any way I can get it, lol.
Mugzy
Out here in Denver?

Just know where to look omae.

We have a group in Loveland, north of the city, that alternates weekly between there and a venue in Golden.
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (nezumi)
QUOTE (Capt. Dave @ Jul 21 2005, 09:35 AM)

I'd agree, but they generally frown upon me throwing dice and openly reading manuals here in the office. At least if I do it online, it's no more suspicious than all the people who spend all day checking e-mail.

I am down with that. Although they are tracing router traffic here.
Eldritch
Play-By-Post at rpol.net.

All my real life gaming buddies growd up, got wives and jobs and stuff.

I did that too, but stuck with gaming. If it weren't for the internet, I'd have no gaming at all frown.gif

ShadowDragon8685
OpenRPG's not so bad...

If you're not using a mac. Then you get what you get, because Crapentoshi sucks. smile.gif

[edit]

But yeah, Kage, you should probably post that error in the OpenRPG web forums. That's where the sods who know what they're doing hang, they'll hook you up.
Aku
Yea, i agree with shadow Kage, you'd be best to head over to the openRPG forums and asking them, i sometimes lurk over there, but not very often. Only so much time in a day for forums, and this and PSP forums take most of my day.

oh, and trying to get something to work in flash so MAYBE i can keep going with the garage...
Rev
I used to play over IRC quite a bit. Great format for roleplaying, in some ways better than face to face.

I don't think I would like the forum or email style of game, but I have never tried it so I don't really know.
Digital Heroin
Um... we're on a forum with an online play section... shouldn't that be telling?
Sahandrian
Yeah, things really died down a while ago. We played on IRC, AIM (chat is still TheUncertainAreas), and a forum, all of which are still active.

The main problem is that I only have two players available right now (Foreigner and another), and one of them is feared as a PK'er. Who happens to not like the other player that much. It would be a short game.

I've been trying to get enough people into this that our total forum post rate rises above 2/day and I can run a game for a full team again. There is a new storyline picking up on the forums, though. Which someone has yet to reply to.

Oh yeah. If anyone is interested in us, check my sig.
Astelaron
I would not could not in a box.
I would not could not with a fox.
I would not could not play Shadowrun Online.
Face to face suits me just fine.
ShadowDragon8685
That was kind of... Uncalled for...
Kagetenshi
Yeah. What did the fox ever do to you?

~J
Astelaron
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
That was kind of... Uncalled for...

I meant no offense but was unable to restrain myself. grinbig.gif
Critias
And it's not like those of us who game on-line don't game IRL, too. It's just a way to cram more gaming into our increasingly busy lives.
nezumi
Errmm... Well... Maybe a few of us don't game IRL too...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012