Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2064 wedding day?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (DS timeline)
2062 - On March 11, in Japan, Tadashi Shaiwase betroths his twenty-two year old daughter Hitomi to Emperor Yasuhito, to be consummated upon his sixteenth birthday. (Year of the Comet)

If the Emporer is 14 when he takes the throne at the beginning of 2062, this should place the marriage squarely in 2064. I don't have my SOTA 2064 handy at the moment, but I sure don't remember seeing that one in there. So what happened!?

Incidentally, isn't Hitomi the young girl form the novel Psychotrope, meaning that the new Empress of Japan would be an Otaku?
Wireknight
If she marries him at all. I figure it's just as likely she'd vanish into the underworld, given her abilities, than consent to an arranged marriage from a father with whom her relationship is, as described in that bizarre and horrifying novel that I can never unread, not exactly the textbook example of strict conformity to parental mandates nor to parents having their childrens' best interests in mind. Of course, if technomancer powers are magical/cyberphobic in nature in SR4, Hitomi is supposed to have miraculously survived a near-total-drain by a vampire, which would leave her Essence hovering below 1.0. That'd make her irreconcilable with any technomancer potential and thus faded/burned-out come the Matrix 2.0.
Vaevictis
At that age, she won't remain otaku very long...
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Vaevictis)
At that age, she won't remain otaku very long...

yeah, she'll fade until 2065-2070 then suddenly become a technomancer. wink.gif
Wireknight
Well, one of the wonderful absurdities of Psychotrope was that the otaku created by the aforementioned Psychotrope/Mirage entity were all adults and presumably somehow immune to the age-related degradation of ability associated with a standard otaku.
fistandantilus4.0
Red Wraith is the oldest IIRC. Or is it Darkfather?

Thanks for bringing that up BTW WireKnight. It's been some years since I read that one, and I was beginning to wonder if I'd just imagined the AI being called Psychotrope (after the psychtropic conditioning it used to make them otaku I think).
Jürgen Hubert
Wasn't she also infected with HMHVV?

Though some heavy-duty medical procedures paid for by daddy kept the virus from breaking out entirely...
JongWK
I suggest waiting for Shadows of Asia, which should be available pretty fragging soon.
Garland
Maybe she was infected, maybe not. Daddy allowed the vampire attack to happen so he could test a possible HMHVV vaccine.
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (JongWK)
I suggest waiting for Shadows of Asia, which should be available pretty fragging soon.

I love and hate it when you hint like that.

love.gif frown.gif
Synner
Then there's also the tidbit people seem to have missed about Hitomi being kidnapped in SOTA:64...
Spookymonster
Kidnapped, or extracted?
Synner
Now that would be telling... anyway the truth will be revealed soon enough.
toturi
Nevermind.
ShadowDragon8685
Bizzare and horrifying? Unhealthy familial relationships?

Hmmmmmm. This sounds like a book I may just need to read.
Bearclaw
I must say it's Smedmans best.
Of course I like all of her stuff, more or less. She's no Nigel Findley, but who is?
Shadow
Mel Odon was always my fav beside Nigel. Nigel had a habbit of refereing to old tech to get the job done. The main character in one of his books used a 50 year old Barret and a 100 year old Barracuda. Something about people in the future using old time tech to do things always rang wrong with me.
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
Red Wraith is the oldest IIRC. Or is it Darkfather?

How many was there?

Red Wraith, Oldest i think by a long shot
Bloody guts. Troll, early twenties?
Hitomi, i got the impression she was around the age of 14 or so...

was there one or two more??
fistandantilus4.0
there was also the teacher lady with the slashed wrists

QUOTE (JongWK)

Now that just isn't nice, tease. We've beenfraggin' waiting! frown.gif
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Synner @ Jul 27 2005, 10:24 AM)
Then there's also the tidbit people seem to have missed about Hitomi being kidnapped in SOTA:64...

Took me a while to find it. Completely missed it the first time.

QUOTE (SOTA 64 pg.23 - MIFD)
... Last month a bunch of Otaku broke into the MIT&T campus and kidnapped Hitome Shiawase, the daughter of the CEO Tadashi Shiawase.The FBI tracked down the otaku and rescued Hitomi 12 hours later, but daddy went through the roof when he heard the news. Since then, MIFD agents have been coming to Cambridge in droves to keep an eye on Hitomi and track down the tribe responsible for abducting her.

-Geez, Spavin, don't you know anything. Hitomi Shiawase is an otaku. I don't know exactly how it happened, though it had something to do with the matrix glitch in Seattle a few years back. That's why she pushed to go to MIT&T to study computer science.
-Metsuke

-Really?? THAT I didn't know. It explains a lot.
-Spavin

-Breaking news from Boston: the buzz on the street says MIFD managed to identify the folks responsible for the kidnapping:an otaku tribe called Ex Pacis. They think the tribe was trying to recruit her, but some of the deck heads here don't agree. From case details that have leaked so far, some of the experts think the kidnappers deliberately left some clues behind so she would be rescued, but only after a certain amount of time had passed.
- New England Patriot

Now that there makes me wonder if perhaps Hitomi has been converted over to the dissonance, like they were trying w/ Sygzy or whoever in Threats 2. If so, I'll bet that'll have lots to do in System Failure, AI's duking it out with each other's pet Otaku and all.

Edit: hehe, brought my book to work tonight!
Synner
Cool, the Dissonant Otaku Vampire Empress of Japan (seems like something Warren Ellis would have dreamt up along with Sumatran Robot Death Sluts)...
fistandantilus4.0
Yeah, which I never would have worried about if you hadn't brought up the reference I completely missed. Now there's something else to fear for my runners. And just when the Emporer was getting so nice, gets a shrew "Dissonant Otaku Vampire Empress of Japan" .

I actually hope it doesn't swing this way though. I remember rooting for Hitomi after just the first section of that book. Got a bum deal to begin with, then gets screwed with by Pax? ouch. Good make a nice adversary for the slitch though if she wasn't converted.

And JongWK, don't say "I suggest waiting for Shadows of Asia". I'll cry. frown.gif
Demonseed Elite
Cool, the Dissonant Otaku Vampire Empress of Japan (seems like something Warren Ellis would have dreamt up along with Sumatran Robot Death Sluts)...

Hah, exactly. Hitomi used to bother me a lot because of the otaku/vampire stuff from Psychotrope. Being that it's there, I tend to look at it from a different point of view now, that she is a wonderful example of how truly fucked up Japan in SR is. nyahnyah.gif
JongWK
QUOTE (Synner)

Sigged! nyahnyah.gif
JongWK
And JongWK, don't say "I suggest waiting for Shadows of Asia". I'll cry. frown.gif

You think you're having it bad? Think about us. frown.gif
Shockwave_IIc
there was also the teacher lady with the slashed wrists

Thought the one with slashed wrists WAS hitomi?!?!?

though a reread will have to wait, next up is, Angels and Demons
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (JongWK @ Jul 28 2005, 09:10 AM)
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Jul 28 2005, 05:24 AM)

You think you're having it bad? Think about us. frown.gif

Well you're catching flak for not releasing it, but you at least get to read it. This and SoLA are the two books I've been waiting for the most. Especially interested in what you and AH have in SoLA, since I've liked what I've seen from your stuff so far (Tequila Blues, have you done anything else that's been released yet?).
But hey, my birhday's in a couple of days, so maybe my players will get a chance to save up and get me one of them (*hint hint if you guys are reading this, RL cash for karma*).

Thought the one with slashed wrists WAS hitomi?!?!?

IIRC Hitomi had the vamp girl icon. The teacher was in her classroom when all of her students were jacked in, and got 'jacked' by the system 'crash', so she jacked in. She had attempted suicide some time before (forget why) so her icon was the slashed wrists lady. Bear in mind that it's been a good 7 years or so since I read the book. It was new when I picked it up off the shelf. Now I'm hunting through used book stores trying to get my little collection back together.
JongWK

Well you're catching flak for not releasing it, but you at least get to read it.

Uhm, I don't have the decision-making power to release it, but I get your point. My apologies.

This and SoLA are the two books I've been waiting for the most. Especially interested in what you and AH have in SoLA, since I've liked what I've seen from your stuff so far (Tequila Blues, have you done anything else that's been released yet?).

AH's a good friend and a great guy to tag-team with. notworthy.gif

For what it's worth, I wrote both Orxploitation and Sports in State of the Art: 2064. I've also written for Shadows of Asia (you only get once chance to guess which country wink.gif), Shadows of Latin America and System Failure.

Edit: Added italics.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (JongWK)

Uhm, I don't have the decision-making power to release it, but I get your point. My apologies.

Sorry, not quite what I meant. No need to apologize. Just whining I guess.

Definitely looking forward to the new titles. I'll let you know what I think (assuming you care) when (*crosses fingers*) they come out. But in this case
For what it's worth, I wrote both Orxploitation and Sports in State of the Art: 2064.
, I've liked all of your stuff so far.
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (Synner)

Only if she's also a ninja CZ. biggrin.gif

After that crack about upcopming products I feel I sould be looking for a rolled up newspaper for your to commune with. spin.gif spin.gif spin.gif

Think of the media attention for the wedding team. A major event, world leaders, media coverage, gifts, speculation about place, guest lists, speculation on the wedding gown, entertainment etc. etc.

Add to that specially set runs to find/hide/destroy any nasty little seacrets in the Empresss to be's past.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Synner)

now why do that sound like the title of a anime series?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012