Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sr4 release at gencon
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Phoniex
Hello from the CON:)

I just wanted to ask what is up with the black kilts from all the SR players?

Also, *crosses fingers* SR4 should be out today at 10, yes its noon now, but I am just getting up after staying up til 5 playing in the corporate ghost game.

So far gencon has been a blast!

To the genconmoble! to quest after the elusive book wink.gif
blakkie
Can't you just feel the hate? extinguish.gif extinguish.gif extinguish.gif
Penta
Kill him.
Sabosect
Oh, no, we all love it. We're just giving it tough love.

What? This Ares Alpha? No, it's not to cause harm. It's to celebrate. Here, let me show you.

*Empties a celebratory clip into Gencon, followed by 8 celebratory grenades*

See? You can just hear the people screaming at how much they love the celebration.
Kagetenshi
Nothing says "party" like a dozen WP grenades liberally spread amongst the crowd.

~J
JongWK
QUOTE (Penta)
Kill him.

Stop. Reading. My. Mind. wink.gif
tisoz
Been there and back.

NO fucking Limited Editions!!! So I paid $27 (Con entrance fee for 1 day) + $10 (parking) + wasted fuel driving a hundred and some miles... All to buy a crappy book for another $35.
Nerbert
Ha ha ha, Fanpro ROCKS! sarcastic.gif
mintcar
You got it? Then why aren´t you writing a 4000 letter post telling us about it? smile.gif
JongWK
QUOTE (tisoz)
Been there and back.

NO fucking Limited Editions!!! So I paid $27 (Con entrance fee for 1 day) + $10 (parking) + wasted fuel driving a hundred and some miles... All to buy a crappy book for another $35.

Do you have any idea of what happened to the LE?
tisoz
QUOTE (JongWK)
QUOTE (tisoz @ Aug 19 2005, 03:17 PM)
Been there and back.

NO fucking Limited Editions!!!  So I paid $27 (Con entrance fee for 1 day) + $10 (parking) + wasted fuel driving a hundred and some miles...  All to buy a crappy book for another $35.

Do you have any idea of what happened to the LE?

Not back from printers?
tisoz
QUOTE (mintcar)
You got it? Then why aren´t you writing a 4000 letter post telling us about it? smile.gif

I decided to skim it during lunch and am reeling in shock.

I'll try to go through threads and answer speculations, or ask me something specific and I'll check it.
Spookymonster
That.... doesn't sound good.
JongWK
I hope it arrives during the weekend (in time for the Con, at least).

If not, damn. frown.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (tisoz)
ask me something specific and I'll check it.

What's up with the Commlink operating systems?

(If you'd like a more specific, shorter-answer question, how many are there and what mechanical differences between them exist?)

~J
tisoz
QUOTE (Spookymonster)
That.... doesn't sound good.

Well, I like playing shamen and they seemed to take it in the ass the hardest.

Btw, the first piece of fiction uses fuck, fuck, fuck and asshole instead of frag or other expletives like hoophead. So much for garnering that younger audience if parents skim that part, or the topless chick on page 44 wearing a couple band-aids across her nipples.

On the powergamer front, adepts look to be as powerful as ever and with the way the powers work and are priced, they look like they will rule.
tisoz
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (tisoz @ Aug 19 2005, 01:26 PM)
ask me something specific and I'll check it.

What's up with the Commlink operating systems?

(If you'd like a more specific, shorter-answer question, how many are there and what mechanical differences between them exist?)

~J

Just read that part about everyone having them before I started posting. Got referred to a section about "what every shadowrunner should know"

9 different models that have different Response and Signal ratings and costs. Evidently, any electronic device can have IC. They all leave trails (Please note this info is from quickly skimming 3 different sections.)

PS: saw some obvious mistakes for erratta. Cyberlimb cost went down but still 1 point of essence.
Overwatch
What exactly about Shaman characters made them
seemed to take it in the ass the hardest.
?

morlock76
Are there any (noteworthy) SR3 -> 4 conversion rules?

They would give (us all) the most change overview in the chargen system I guess ... or pretty close.
Sabosect
My money is on the change in the magic system. The one reason I played a shaman over a mage was easy availability of spirits. That may have changed.
mmu1
How does armor work? Does it really just convert lethal damage into stun?

What are the metahuman stat modifers now?

Can you give a few examples of what the new ranged combat modifiers look like? (like for cover, or dim light, and so on)

Do technomancers need an electronic device of some sort to access the matrix, or do they just use their minds?

Are there any guidelines for playing games of various power levels? Is there any conversion info?

How does the new Dodge work?
Sabosect
Okay, his post on magic on the magic thread:

I was pretty much on target with my guess on spirit types.

All full magicians can conjure earth, air, water, and spirits of man. That's 4. Hermetic can conjure fire spirits while shamen can conjure spirits of beasts.

It costs to be magically active, then it costs some more to have a totem.
Kagetenshi
That makes… no… sense…

Ah well.

When you get the chance, I'd like more info on the "trails" that these devices leave. No rush, though—thanks for the intel.

~J
tisoz
QUOTE (Overwatch)
?

It costs more to play them with a totem. A mage can do almost exactly the same thing, fire spirits look a bit more useful than beast spirits. The variety and numerical difference of spirits is gone. Have not looked to see about the shamanic mask, if it only applies if the shaman has a totem.

Magic in general got screwed compared to any other skill type set. They combined other peoples needed skills while making the magicians need more skills to do the same. Making magicians a bigger karma sink.

Compared to adepts, who seem to benefit from all the rule changes.
Dashifen
must wait until tomorrow ... must resist urge to leave work and drive to Indy ... must resist inevitable pull of Indiana ....

Never thought I'd say that biggrin.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (tisoz)
QUOTE (Overwatch @ Aug 19 2005, 12:42 PM)
?

It costs more to play them with a totem. A mage can do almost exactly the same thing, fire spirits look a bit more useful than beast spirits. The variety and numerical difference of spirits is gone. Have not looked to see about the shamanic mask, if it only applies if the shaman has a totem.

Magic in general got screwed compared to any other skill type set. They combined other peoples needed skills while making the magicians need more skills to do the same. Making magicians a bigger karma sink.

Compared to adepts, who seem to benefit from all the rule changes.

What are the karma costs for Initiation? If they have dropped, along with the known drop for spell costs (only 5 karma ever, as opposed to cost of Force karma every time you learn a spell at a higher Force) that is going to partially or wholely offset the new skill requirements.
mintcar
Cost of being magicly active seems rather low.
chevalier_neon
@ Blakkie : you are right ! I didn't see the things like that, but this makes sense. On the other hand, I was also thinking that I have never seen anybody learning (that much) new spell... But it might come of our way of gaming.

@ Tisoz : many many thanks for taking some of your time to give us this information. Hope that we are not spoiling (is it the good word ? or wasting maybe ?) your reading of this new edition... But once again, thanks !
mintcar
Yeah, thanks tisoz! smile.gif
Sabosect
Costs of being magically active:

10 BP per attribute point. If you want to get to sixty, you have to tag an additional 25 BP for that final point.

15 BP to be magically active.

Totems cost extra.

Spells are 3 BP per spell.

Now, totalling it up, that means a mage with a 5 in magic and 10 spells has paid 95 BP. That's nearly 1/4 of their total starting points if they have 400 to play with. Keep in mind that's all in addition to the rest of the costs. And I haven't even included skill costs yet.
Nikoli
Wait a sec, you can have a magic attribute and not be magically active, how does that work?
JongWK
Magicians have the first Magic point for free.

Magician (15 BPs) gives you Magic 1. Raising it to 5 takes another 40 points. Ten spells are an additional 30. That's 85 points for what looks to be a good magician at game start.
chevalier_neon
@ Nikoli : no, from what I could understand, everybody has access to physical ant mental attributes. Then if you pay the cost to be a mgician (15BP), you can have access to the magie attribute. I think it is the same for resonnance.
blakkie
QUOTE (Sabosect @ Aug 19 2005, 01:29 PM)
Costs of being magically active:

10 BP per attribute point. If you want to get to sixty, you have to tag an additional 25 BP for that final point.

15 BP to be magically active.

Totems cost extra.

Spells are 3 BP per spell.

Now, totalling it up, that means a mage with a 5 in magic and 10 spells has paid 95 BP. That's nearly 1/4 of their total starting points if they have 400 to play with. Keep in mind that's all in addition to the rest of the costs. And I haven't even included skill costs yet.

That seems inline with the percentage of the standard 120 SR3 BP you had to drop to build a mage in SR3.

EDIT: Only to have 10 spells at full castable force you'd have to use a bunch of BP for cash and convert them to SP.
tisoz
QUOTE (mmu1)
How does armor work? Does it really just convert lethal damage into stun?

Armor value combines with Body to resist damage. If the modified power, DV, of an attack causing physical damage does not exceed the AP modified armor rating (sounds streamlined huh? HA ha ha) then the attack will cause stun instead. Armor rating is reduced by the attacks AP, armor penetration, value.

Weapon pictures! smile.gif Ares Predator IV AP -1, Damage is 5P, avail 4R, cost 350.
Slivergun still exists. frown.gif
Lined Coat is 6/4 Ballistic/Impact, avail 2, 700.

What are the metahuman stat modifers now?

Metatype abilities look unchanged (vision, etc.)
Human: +1Edge
Ork: +3B, +2S, -1C, _1L
Dwarf: +1B, -1R, +2S, +1W, -1Initiative
Elf: +1A, +2C
Troll: +4B, -1A, +4S, -2C, -1I, -1L, -1Initiative

Can you give a few examples of what the new ranged combat modifiers look like? (like for cover, or dim light, and so on)

They look similar to current modifiers except they modify the dice pool not the TN, espec9ally the visibilty mods based on light, smoke.

Partial cover -2, good cover -4, blind fire -6, smartlink +2, normal vision in partial light is -2.

How does the new Dodge work?

Buy as skill. Linked to Reaction. Can use Full Dodge. Says Reaction + Dodge for ranged. Reaction + Dodge + Dodge for melee or Reaction + melee combat skill + Dodge in melee. Also a Full Parry, and a Gynastics Dodge.

Are there any guidelines for playing games of various power levels? Is there any conversion info?

The 300, 400, 500 BP suggestion and nothing about conversion.

Do technomancers need an electronic device of some sort to access the matrix, or do they just use their minds?

Technomancers can access and manipulate the Matrix through their own sheer force of will.
For a whole 5 BP and foregoing any type of magical ability.

JongWK
QUOTE (Sabosect)
That's nearly 1/4 of their total starting points if they have 400 to play with. Keep in mind that's all in addition to the rest of the costs. And I haven't even included skill costs yet.

Well, being a mage in SR3's BP system also costs about 1/4 of the BPs...
Nikoli
wierd. so you pay your 15 and get your first magic point automatically. that's not so bad. also, it seems like having a high magic rating is not so necessary compared to the setting. and spells seem far more versatile and 5 karma in play is hella cheap compared to SR3 IMO. gee, I learned Spell "X" at force 3, I want it at Force 5 now because of Y. Now I have to learn a whole new spell and waste the time and effort for the force 3 version. (Barring house ruling). It also cleans up how cops know what force you just cast. power bolt is probably licensed regardless and treat/heal are a-okay.
tisoz
Initiation costs 10 + (grade*3) karma.
Nikoli
what does initiation give you?
blakkie
QUOTE (tisoz)
Technomancers can access and manipulate the Matrix through their own sheer force of will.

So you are confirming with absolutely no hardware (datajack or simple PAN link) required?
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (tisoz)

Where do you get that it costs more to play a magician with a totem? That doesn't jibe with the final drafts I have (comp copies haven't arrived as yet).
blakkie
QUOTE (tisoz)
Initiation costs 10 + (grade*3) karma.

Nothing about reduction in cost with groups? Hrrmmm, actually i think i remember something about cost reduction options having to wait till Street Magic. Well at least they managed to squeeze basic Initiation in.
tisoz
QUOTE (chevalier_neon)
@ Tisoz : many many thanks for taking some of your time to give us this information. Hope that we are not spoiling (is it the good word ? or wasting maybe ?) your reading of this new edition... But once again, thanks !

I'm just waiing for the pages to start falling out.wink.gif

Btw, the pages seem more limber than in previous editions and the book seems to lie open by itself.
Nikoli
That good or bad?

Last book I had that did that fell apart in 3 weeks flat from shrinkwrap to file-13
blakkie
QUOTE (tisoz)
QUOTE (chevalier_neon @ Aug 19 2005, 01:26 PM)

I'm just waiing for the pages to start falling out.wink.gif

Btw, the pages seem more limber than in previous editions and the book seems to lie open by itself.

Well don't wear your book out on our account. eek.gif wink.gif

But ya, let me add in my thanks for taking the time to post here.

P.S. Did you ask for a handwritten raincheck on a LE? I would have.

SL James
QUOTE (tisoz)

More like any other magical ability if that quote is true.
tisoz
QUOTE (Nikoli)

Increased Magic (add grade to Attribute), metaplanar access one metamagic.

QUOTE (Patrick Goodman)
Where do you get that it costs more to play a magician with a totem? That doesn't jibe with the final drafts I have (comp copies haven't arrived as yet).

The Mentor Spirit costs 5 BP. Totems appear to be called Mentor spirits now. Like Bear, Dog, Mountain, etc..

QUOTE (blakkie)
Nothing about reduction in cost with groups?

Nada, it does mention what used to be ordeals as standard fare for intiating - as in no discount for ordeal.
Sabosect
Ya know, I just realized why it is no one ever does cost comparisons between the two systems: They would hate themselves for it.

Okay, BRP:

To get max skills or attributes, 1/2 of your points.

Magic: One quarter of your points.

Max money: One quarter of your points.

This system:

Max skills or attributes: Haven't done the math yet. However, considering that near half only gives you solid 3s, I would say more expensive.

Magic: One quarter of your points.

Max Money: One quarter of your points.
Nikoli
Okay, next question. What is the general guideline for Karma awards at the end of the run?
blakkie
QUOTE (tisoz @ Aug 19 2005, 01:54 PM)
QUOTE (Nikoli @ Aug 19 2005, 01:43 PM)

Increased Magic (add grade to Attribute), metaplanar access one metamagic.

You still get effectively an attribute increase plus the metamagic? That actually sounds kinda cheap, what does it cost to raise attributes? Oh, and any ceiling on how high attribute+grade can go?

EDIT: This also closes an interesting 'ware loophole where you could take your essense down to 0.1 and still avoid burnout w/o geasing as long as you were Initiated.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012