Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So far
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
mfb
tapping a single key is a skill? since when?

an olympic rifleman in SR4 would have attribute 6, skill 6 (maybe 7), and specialization, for a grand total of 14 dice. -3 for range is 11 dice, and -8 (or is it -4? i don't recall) for total darkness. that leaves him with 3 dice, which means that statistically, he's going to hit the target every single shot. go find me an olympic rifleman who can hit a target at extreme range in the pitch black. what's that? you can't? whoah!
Raskolnikov
He'll actually only hit it like 78% of the time (didn't do the calc, that's just rough), but yeah that's still a lot.
Ellery
QUOTE (Rolemodel)
QUOTE (Ellery)
it's fine if you set up the problem and let me calculate it.

If you want me to do it again including dodge and armor and so on, I'll do this--but I want your prediction first regarding what the probabilities will be, and I want your agreement that you will admit that you were wrong if you are wrong. I will admit that I am wrong if I am.
Fair enough. It would be a stubborn demonstration of immaturity for me to reject this offer, particularly when we both have said so much on the subject, and would further be a discredit to either of us, if we were unwilling to admit when we were wrong. With that in mind, I will gladly accept your proposal.

QUOTE (Rolemodel)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Rolemodel)
QUOTE (Kageteshi)
QUOTE (Rolemodel)
I believe that turning this role-playing forum into a math expose is hardly appropriate.
I would encourage you both to leave the discussion here, as it is on-topic, relevant, of interest to other participants, and not personal business.
That's not entirely unreasonable. Perhaps a new thread would be appropriate, then?
That sounds like a fair compromise.
So be it. I'll leave final approval to Ellery
I approve.

Let me know when you're ready to begin and one of us can create the thread and start hashing out what all the terms mean.

My prediction is that benefit of high skills is either flat or more pronounced in difficult tasks using SR3 mechanics, at least in the overwhelming majority of conditions. I can't think of any exceptions off the top of my head, but given that SR3 was in need of some tidying, I also am unwilling to insist that there isn't a special case--just that it's aberrant.
El Ojitos
@Rolemodel
The problem with the situation you keep quoting as evidence of SR3's flaw(s), i.e. that a very good fighter can so utterly destroy an opponent when the difficulty is low, is not really one of variable TNs. It's the problem of raising damage levels for net successes - a concept that always struck me as silly in SR3. The bullet from a given gun should always do the same damage (unless aimed at a exceptionally vulnerable spot), no matter how 'good' the shot was.
Maybe the successes could determine how difficult it is to dodge it - but as long as we're talking about non-superhumans dodging a bullet should just not even be considered as an option.
So, you're right: SR3 is broken, too, only it's not exactly where you said it was. Leave out the staging up of damage and variable TNs should be fine.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (El Ojitos @ Aug 26 2005, 08:48 AM)
The bullet from a given gun should always do the same damage (unless aimed at a […] vulnerable spot), no matter how 'good' the shot was.

(Emphasis mine, "exceptionally" removed because it's bulldrek—bullets will do all sorts of different amounts of damage to people based on where they hit)

Congratulations, you've just discovered what getting a lot of successes represents. Next question?

~J
Rolemodel
@Rolemodel
The problem with the situation you keep quoting as evidence of SR3's flaw(s), i.e. that a very good fighter can so utterly destroy an opponent when the difficulty is low, is not really one of variable TNs. It's the problem of raising damage levels for net successes - a concept that always struck me as silly in SR3. The bullet from a given gun should always do the same damage (unless aimed at a exceptionally vulnerable spot), no matter how 'good' the shot was.
Maybe the successes could determine how difficult it is to dodge it - but as long as we're talking about non-superhumans dodging a bullet should just not even be considered as an option.
So, you're right: SR3 is broken, too, only it's not exactly where you said it was. Leave out the staging up of damage and variable TNs should be fine.

Aye. You've touched on the point that I'm going to effectively begin to model with Ellery, shortly. The staging of damage in it's linear property of incremental damage vs. the expoential weight of the system.

-RM

EDIT: At the least, a portion of the point, anyway.
El Ojitos
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
The bullet from a given gun should always do the same damage (unless aimed at a […] vulnerable spot), no matter how 'good' the shot was.

(Emphasis mine, "exceptionally" removed because it's bulldrek—bullets will do all sorts of different amounts of damage to people based on where they hit)

Congratulations, you've just discovered what getting a lot of successes represents. Next question?

~J

Next question? Here come a couple:

If many sucesses means hitting a vulnerable spot then
a) what's aiming for (as it doesn't generate more sucesses but less - due to higher TN)?
b) why should a pro inflict more deadly wounds when he isn't aiming at anything than any amateur? Why have his bullets got better chances of piercing the lung in a damaging way? He surely didn't aim for that special rib to be fractured. He just took a pot shot - like the other guy.

Imagine a pro with a shotgun. Did he just cleverly aim every grain of shot at a deadly spot? What about autofire? Did he plan every bullet's path to the victim's armour's one weak spot he didn't even know of? No, wait, he couldn't because armour has its effect later when soaking the damage and, oh right, he didn't aim.
Actually you could aim for a non-lethal shot to the knee of an opponent, create many sucesses and unwillingly kill the guy - because you're really good at shooting.

Of course bullets "do all sorts of different amounts of damage" in RL - but unless they're aimed that's just a matter of luck, not of the shooters ability.
El Ojitos
For those who daydreamed a little while ago about our own open source rules:

I've tried to set up a wishlist for that project which you will find here.
mmu1
QUOTE (El Ojitos)
If many sucesses means hitting a vulnerable spot then
a) what's aiming for (as it doesn't generate more sucesses but less - due to higher TN)?
b) why should a pro inflict more deadly wounds when he isn't aiming at anything than any amateur? Why have his bullets got better chances of piercing the lung in a damaging way? He surely didn't aim for that special rib to be fractured. He just took a pot shot - like the other guy.

Are you talking about Called Shots? Because aiming certainly does reduce the TN, and gives you more successes.

If you are, then you're right - called shots for anything other than special effect don't really belong in SR. They're badly implemented - and given the abstract nature of the system, should probably not exist at all. And in SR3R, they won't...
nezumi
Called shots exist for the 'unusual situations'. Aiming for a hand, a tire, a vulnerable piece of cyber instead of for the most vulnerable spot on the target.

That's why 'calling a shot to avoid armor' is pure silliness (and not canon except under very specific circumstances). Calling a shot to increase the damage level is a loser's game in most cases, since the TN goes up by 4, but only acts as 2 successes (even with the SL2, the TN goes up by 2 and it's still only really 2 successes effectively.)

The only case where 'calling a shot' to increase the damage level makes sense is when the TN goes below 2. We're talking about barrel to the temple sort of thing. Then called shots makes sense again, since it reflects just how easy those shots are.

So 'called shots' as they stand in canon are not immediately clear, but they're reasonably well defined, all things considered. If you try to use it inappropriately, it hurts you. If used how they're meant to be used, it adds realism to the game.
El Ojitos
Are you talking about Called Shots?

Yes, I was.

called shots for anything other than special effect don't really belong in SR

Actually I think that called shots should be the only way to stage up the damage on a shot. And they shouldn't be allowed with bursts, autofire or shotguns. They shouldn't be allowed in fast paced confusing and stressful combat situations and should only be allowed if the shooter takes enough time to aim and has a good grasp of the anatomy of the victim (in the case of non-human opponents) or the special properties of the armour (in the case of metahumans).
And please don't tell me he doesn't need all that because a shot in the face will usually do the trick. That vulnerable spot is so obvious that every idiot with a gun who has ever seen a gangster movie will know to go for it and hit it with roughly the same chance as any other area of the body he might target instead. The result of all this is: The effect of the shot (IF it hits at all) is under normal circumstances quite independent from its 'quality' i.e. net successes.
Kagetenshi
That's a faulty line of reasoning based on incorrect assumptions springing from a total ignorance of what the "quality of a shot" is.

~J
El Ojitos
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
That's a fault line of reasoning based on incorrect assumptions springing from a total ignorance of what the "quality of a shot" is.

~J

I must say I DO love your posts. Strong, argumentative and convincing. And so civil in tone. sarcastic.gif
Triggerz
QUOTE (El Ojitos)
Actually I think that called shots should be the only way to stage up the damage on a shot. And they shouldn't be allowed with bursts, autofire or shotguns. They shouldn't be allowed in fast paced confusing and stressful combat situations and should only be allowed if the shooter takes enough time to aim and has a good grasp of the anatomy of the victim (in the case of non-human opponents) or the special properties of the armour (in the case of metahumans).
And please don't tell me he doesn't need all that because a shot in the face will usually do the trick. That vulnerable spot is so obvious that every idiot with a gun who has ever seen a gangster movie will know to go for it and hit it with roughly the same chance as any other area of the body he might target instead. The result of all this is: The effect of the shot (IF it hits at all) is under normal circumstances quite independent from its 'quality' i.e. net successes.

So, according to you, staging up damage should always be the exception rather than the rule? You should always have to call a shot if you want to do more than a moderate? I guess you could argue that all weapons that can kill should start at deadly under SR3 rules, but that would just break a system that works fairly decently - and has been made even better in SR4, in my opinion. The thing is: two bullets of the same type, hitting the same guy under the exact same circumstances, at the same angle, velocity and such, should do the same damage. But gunfights aren't all that standardized, my friend, and bullets hitting different places in different circumstances can produce different effects. When you roll dice to determine success, luck is an element. Someone who's never fired a gun can kill someone in a single shot if "lucky", or hit a finger, or completely miss. Successes represent hitting a more vital spot - say, some vital organ , the neck or a leg, as opposed to a finger or a toe -, and that can happen by pure chance. You don't need to call a shot and aim for anywhere in particular. But you create your own luck too: a skilled individual is more likely to take advantage of whatever particular circumstances he's in and make the most of them. It seems fairly straightforward to me (although, I would agree, there were situations in SR3 where the mechanics were either badly designed or badly implemented by the GM, i.e. me, most of the time).
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (El Ojitos)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
That's a fault line of reasoning based on incorrect assumptions springing from a total ignorance of what the "quality of a shot" is.

~J

I must say I DO love your posts. Strong, argumentative and convincing. And so civil in tone. sarcastic.gif

I've already explained it once, and my patience is shorter than usual due to large amounts of pain and prescription narcotics.

~J
El Ojitos
Someone who's never fired a gun can kill someone in a single shot if "lucky", or hit a finger, or completely miss. Successes represent hitting a more vital spot - say, some vital organ , the neck or a leg, as opposed to a finger or a toe -, and that can happen by pure chance. You don't need to call a shot and aim for anywhere in particular. But you create your own luck too: a skilled individual is more likely to take advantage of whatever particular circumstances he's in and make the most of them.

I can't deny that skill will have a slight effect on the outcome of a shot. But it's hardly that big a factor. As Rolemodel pointed out: a very skilled gunslinger can generate so many successes under SR3 that the effect of his shot is extremely deadly (strange expression, but I'm compelled to use it within as system that allows a damage class of D+++... ) whereas a beginner cannot even kill an unarmed opponent with the same weapon. The influence of the skill is just way too big.
Maybe you should allow the damage to be staged up by no more than one category, or maybe you could raise it by one level for 2 net successes, the next level for another 4 net successes, the next for another 6 etc. Just an idea of how you could tone down the effect.
And I really can't see any plausible sense in allowing upstaging the damage with shotguns or autofire.

On the other hand -as you said- it should be possible for anyone, even the most unskilled beginner, to kill an opponent with any kind of ranged or edged weapon. It doesn't have to be easy. But it should be possible. Isn't that what many of the Pro-SR3 people have so often quoted as one of the big pros of the old system: that any task is possible, no matter how high the difficulty (TN) is. Well, that isn't true in combat. With skill 1 + 1 combat pool die + 1 karma pool die you can never get more than 3 net sucesses. If you are armed with, lets say, a Colt, your damage will never get up to D - and that's before dodging and soaking. And all positive TN modifications (Smartgun, aiming, sight improvements, glueing the victim to the floor) won't do you any good at all because you can't produce more than 3 sucesses.
So in my view the SR4 rules are really on to something here because positive situational modifyers give you dice for your pool. (As an aside to Ellery etc: Meanwhile you have convinced me that taking dice out of the pool because of negative circumstances creates other problems that we didn't have in SR3).
El Ojitos
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (El Ojitos @ Aug 26 2005, 05:59 PM)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

~J

I've already explained it once, and my patience is shorter than usual due to large amounts of pain and prescription narcotics.

~J

No you haven't. You have claimed that staging up the damage level with net successes means hitting vulnerable body parts. But you haven't explained anything at all. I've given a number of reasons why I think that concept isn't plausible. Just saying that my reasoning is fault(y) will do nothing to make me (or anyone who's reading) see the error of my ways - if there really is any.

But as you seem to be unwell, dont worry. Try to get better and if you like we can continue our discussion then.
Ellery
SR3's usage of number of successes as a measure of damage solves the problem of how to have increased skill cause increased damage without causing increased missing. Of course, it depends where you aim--if you aim for the head, a miss is likely to do no damage at all, but if you aim for the left side of the chest, a miss is still likely to do damage. Rather than deal with all that complexity for all types of damage, the approximation is that "number of successes represents how vital a target you hit on this attempt".

It's not fantastic, but it sorta works. It's better than not allowing anyone to ever kill someone with less than four shots, and it's also better than making one shot kills always perfectly "hit or miss" situations. (What about a grazing blow to the head?) And it's way better than hit points.

Do you have a workable alternative suggestion?
hahnsoo
Not to say SR3 doesn't have its flaws. For example, there's the "net two successes to do anything" that is quite a pain in SR3. The system nullifies any ability for odd numbers of net successes to have any effect. One way to get around this is to have a house rule that makes an odd number of successes simply do an extra box of damage. If you have 3 net successes, you stage up one level and do an extra box. If you have 5 net successes, you stage up two levels and do an extra box. Same thing with going the other way (resisting damage). Brings a bit more of a sliding scale to SR3's damage system, which I think is helpful, without breaking the mechanic at all.

I'd also like to footnote that SR4's system works a lot better if you use Range and Cover as thresholds (yeah, I'm a broken record like that. Sue me) rather than making every test an opposed test between Attack skill + Agility and Reaction (the SR4 equivalent to using Combat Pool to dodge). In our group, we have made the Reaction roll optional (representing a Dodge test), and if the person isn't Dodging, he's relying on the cover/range to prevent getting hit (increased Threshold numbers). Flipping between both makes it seem very organic, and brings SR4 pretty close to the way it worked in SR3.

Still, a person with an Ares Predator will likely kill a target if you roll 4 to 6 net successes under either system, SR3 or SR4, especially if you are loading out special rounds (which Shadowrunners often do).
TheNarrator
I will attempt to explain.

Trained users of firearms practice not only shooting targets, but shooting them well. They spend hundreds of hours firing thousands of rounds of ammunition at human shaped silhouettes. But they do not simply attempt to hit any part of the "person". These targets will have "X-rings" in the center of the head and/or chest, as well as other, larger rings around them, like a dartboard's bullseye. These shooters-in-training will attempt to place as their shots in the X-ring, or as close to the X-ring as possible.

Thus, shooters train themselves to shoot people as close to the center of mass as possible. Certainly, the chaotic environment of a firefight makes this far more difficult, but professionals train themselves until shooting is instinctual, and the more skilled they are, not only will they hit more often, but of the shots that do hit, more will land near the center of the target.

Thus, the more skilled you are, the better placed your shots will be.

But, you ask, what does it matter? Is not the bullet of the same diameter and muzzle velocity, whether the shooter is skilled or a novice? Is not the hole it makes the same size?

And if human beings were homogenous, that would be the case. But we are not. Many portions of the human body are more vital than others. The "center of mass", that area at the center of the chest that trained shooters aim for, contains the heart, lungs and spinal cord and is in the midst of other bits of vital anatomy. If I shoot you right through your center line at chest height, where the X-ring is, I will destroy your heart and sever your spinal cord. You will be almost instantly disabled and die within moments. If I am off by a few inches and hit your lung, you will be hurt badly, but you may be able to remain on your feet or fall but remain conscious and might survive with medical attention. If I am off by nearly a foot, then I might do some damage to your lung, but not as severely. Perhaps I will only get your arm.

But, you ask, isn't specifically targeting some bit of someone's body what called shots are for? Should not shooting for the center of mass be included in that?

No, it shouldn't. Because, by default, anyone who knows how to handle a gun will be aiming for the center of mass. People aim for the center of a target, so that if their aim is off by a little bit, they will still hit something. To aim for a head or arm or leg and miss by a few inches is to miss completely: they're much smaller targets. To aim for the heart and miss by a few inches is to still hit the torso and do damage. The default, non-called, ordinary gunshot in Shadowrun (or in any game, really) is a shot aimed at the center of the target. How close to that center you hit will depend on the conditions (hence the target number or dice pool modifiers) and on luck (hence the use of dice in the first place), but also a great deal will hinge on how skilled the shooter is. Trying to throw yourself out of the way of the gun barrel at the last possible moment could cause the shot to hit further from the center or not at all, which is represented by (in SR3) the use of Combat Pool in Dodge tests and Damage Resistance tests and (in SR4) in Reaction + Dodge rolls. No game system is perfect in this regard, but I always felt that Shadowrun 3rd Edition did a better job of it than most other games I've played.

Now, in some cases, shots will not be to the center of the target, or the center of the part of the target that is visible. Perhaps you wish to shoot their arm so that they cannot hold a weapon. Perhaps you wish to hit their leg so that they cannot run. Perhaps their torso is swaddled in bulletproof armor and you wish to attack their unprotected head and limbs. Perhaps you want a perfect killing shot through their brain. Professionals do not tend to do such fancy things in a normal firefight, as there is an increased degree of difficulty and complexity involved. Nobody wants to get shot while lining up a bead on someone's kneecap. Much safer to simply do what is instinctual and shoot for their center of mass. But situations where shooting for somewhere other than the center of mass occur on occasion, and in fiction (and a roleplaying game is a form of fiction) they occur more often due to dramatic necessity. That is what the called shot rule exists for.

In other words: yes, Kagetenshi did explain it already. The "quality of a shot" is not merely how hard it is to dodge, but how close to the center you hit. Closer to the center means more damage, hence the staging of damage by successes.

As for shotguns and automatic weapons, it still applies. Shotgun spread is not as wide as movies and games (including SR3, sadly) would like you to believe. It's a fairly narrow cone, only a few inches. And how well the barrel of the shotgun is aimed will decide whether all of the pellets hit or only some of them. If at the range of your target the shot has spread to a radius of three inches, then if you aimed at least four inches from the edge of their body (towards the center, in other words) all the shot will hit. Likewise, the closer to the center you aim, the more of it will hit vital parts. And when using an automatic weapon, most professionals will not spray wildly about, but will aim at the center of the target (just as with a single shot) and then fire a short burst. In a longer burst, after a few shots, recoil will pull the barrel of the gun off target. (Hence the recoil penalties in Shadowrun.) There are situations where they will fire more rounds and/or aim less precisely, of course, but even then their skill will have some effect on how well they get the barrel pointed towards the target. And skill impacts aim which impacts shot placement which impacts damage.

I hope I've explained our position thoroughly. If not, feel free to ask one of the board members who is an expert on firearms or is former military (we have a few) their opinion on the matter.

EDIT: Err.... that went on for longer than I'd intended. Sorry guys. Sometimes the fine art of brevity is lost on me.
Ellery
Don't apologize! It was competently written and interesting. And it even added to the topic under debate!
TheNarrator
Thanks. It's just... it's long. I look at this two-screen-length post and go "Damn, can I ramble on, or what?" smile.gif
El Ojitos
Yes, Narrator, thanks. That's what I call an explanation - never mind the length.

I see that skill will help you to inflict more damage on your target statistically. I still believe, though, that the mechanic reflecting this in SR(3 & 4) is blown way out of proportion. Without enough skill to stage up the damage I can never ever kill a person with a light pistol. This may be a dramaturgic decision on part of the game developers so as to make the game less lethal ("It's just a flesh wound, don't worry about me"). On the other hand a very skilled shooter will regularly kill two goons per initiative pass with the same weapon.
As you said:[qoute] by default, anyone who knows how to handle a gun will be aiming for the center of mass.[/quote] (I would add that even those who don't know how to andle a gun will instinctively aim for the center of a given shape they are shooting at). So if that is what everybody does, why can unskilled shooters never pull off a deadly shot?
With a combat pool of only 5 and a little luck I can completely evade the best shot that a novice (skill 1) can ever produce even under best conditions (aiming, smartgun, short distance and using the maximum amount of combat pool and karma pool dice possible). If a very skilled shooter (skill 6) takes up his position and shoots at me under the same circumstances, I can't and chances are that he will leave me stone dead even when I'm extremely lucky and well armoured. And that wasn't even an extreme example like an adept with skill 12 or more.
So, yes, a skilled shooter will benefit from his skill - but it should not have such a terribly devastating effect.
eidolon
(I would add that even those who don't know how to andle a gun will instinctively aim for the center of a given shape they are shooting at)

Yes, but someone that doesn't know how to handle a gun will also be waving around clumsily and squeezing off rounds. Or doing something retarded like holding it out one handed, sideways "gangsta style" because they saw it on TV. All of this is reflected in lack of skill, and keeps a person that has no idea what they're doing (i.e. SR3 character with 1 die in pistols) from hitting anything reliably or with much accuracy.

I suggest going back and reading the skills equivalency chart in the SR3 BBB, where it explains exactly what it means to have a skill at a certain rating. That paired up with the explanations provided here by Kage and TheNarrator should clear up any question of this being a decent reflection of skill vs. "quality of shot".

One other thing to keep in mind, is the fact that 90% of SR characters are cybered to the point that their base TN for shooting someone is 2 half the time. (not accurate figures, just making a point grinbig.gif ) Of course they're going to hit something with more accuracy <<damage>>, they've got the little cursor from Half-Life blinking right over your heart.

With a combat pool of only 5 and a little luck I can completely evade the best shot that a novice (skill 1) can ever produce even under best conditions (aiming, smartgun, short distance and using the maximum amount of combat pool and karma pool dice possible).

You could use all those dice to avoid a shot from the novice, but he'd just shoot you again next pass, and without any pool or karma dice to blow, where would you be? One specific situational example doesn't do anything to prove that the staging rules are or aren't flawed.

Ellery
Unfortunately, the descriptions of the skills don't really match how easy they are to get, or, in many cases, the effects of various levels of training. Thus, I'm not sure that makes for a very good argument.
Triggerz
I think Edge in SR4 with exploding dice at least fixed the SR3 issue of low-skill shooters not having any chance of staging up to Deadly a low-power gun (unless I misunderstood what's been posted here). It might take a lot of luck and a lot of 6 to re-roll, but it's possible, which is nice. With a lot of negative modifiers though, you'd have to go with RoleModel's suggestion (or was it someone else's?) to roll modifiers as a 'virtual opponent' and reduce the shooter's hits by the number of hits obtained by this virtual opponent. It is unfortunate that such a mechanic hasn't been included in the official rules to start with. With low skill and attribute, a lucky shot should nevertheless be possible, even in difficult conditions. I don't know the rules for a long-shot test though. (Is it how it's called?) Is it (Edge) dice, but no re-rolls?
El Ojitos
All of this is reflected in lack of skill, and keeps a person that has no idea what they're doing (i.e. SR3 character with 1 die in pistols) from hitting anything reliably or with much accuracy.

You misunderstand my point. I think it's fine that a novice can't hit anything "reliably or with much accuracy". The problem is that he can't pull off a killing shot at all. Ever. No matter what he does. If he puts his Colt American right to someone's forehead and pulls the trigger - at point blank - with no resisitance whatsoever - his only hope is that the GM will say "Screw the rules. Let's just say he's dead" because otherwise he will need at least four shots to kill that person.

One other thing to keep in mind, is the fact that 90% of SR characters are cybered to the point that their base TN for shooting someone is 2 half the time. (not accurate figures, just making a point  ) Of course they're going to hit something with more accuracy <<damage>>, they've got the little cursor from Half-Life blinking right over your heart.

I'm sorry, you're wrong. That's what I'm going on about: Lowering the TN does not generate more successes and hence damage if your skill is low. Because with a skill of 1 you only have 1 die to roll. You can add another one from your combat pool. And these 2 dice can never, under any circumstances, with all the cyber in the world, lead to more than 2 sucesses.

You could use all those dice to avoid a shot from the novice, but he'd just shoot you again next pass, and without any pool or karma dice to blow, where would you be? One specific situational example doesn't do anything to prove that the staging rules are or aren't flawed.

What that example was meant to show was that while it is possible to evade a perfect shot from a novice it is utterly impossible to evade a good shot from a pro. How much better than perfect can a shot become? This example proves something about the limits of what a runner can acchieve. And this strange mechanic applies only to combat. Let me give you another example: A person with skill 1 in Computers, i.e. someone who has been told what a computer is and how to use a few very user friendly utility programs, could theoretically singlehandedly write the most advanced piece of code ever concieved on the planet. Is it likely? No. The TN would be somewhere beyond 20 I would reckon and that makes this attempt a pretty long shot (probabilty of around 0.5%). But it's possible - and judging from what I've read all over this forum that's exactly what we want: a slim chance to do the almost impossible.
But for combat it doesn't work that way. Even if you try something quite easy like killing a tied up unconscious prisoner (yes, shadowrunners have been known to do things like that) from a few inches away, it will never work unless you use really heavy weaponry or have trained shooting for quite a while. Now you tell me: How much training would you need to pull off something as easy as that. (There might be psychological barriers but they are not what I'm talking about.)

So, I'm sorry, all the going back to the BBB could not convince me that the staging rules in SR3 reflect the range of possibilities of a shooter in any plausible way. Especially at the lower end of the spectrum.
El Ojitos
QUOTE (Triggerz)
I think Edge in SR4 with exploding dice at least fixed the SR3 issue of low-skill shooters not having any chance of staging up to Deadly a low-power gun (unless I misunderstood what's been posted here). It might take a lot of luck and a lot of 6 to re-roll, but it's possible, which is nice. With a lot of negative modifiers though, you'd have to go with RoleModel's suggestion (or was it someone else's?) to roll modifiers as a 'virtual opponent' and reduce the shooter's hits by the number of hits obtained by this virtual opponent. It is unfortunate that such a mechanic hasn't been included in the official rules to start with. With low skill and attribute, a lucky shot should nevertheless be possible, even in difficult conditions. I don't know the rules for a long-shot test though. (Is it how it's called?) Is it (Edge) dice, but no re-rolls?

Agreed!

I've had another idea that might fix a number of the problems quoted in this thread:
Positive modifiers apply to the dice pool - negative modifiers apply to the TN.
That would cure us of the problem Rolemodel quoted at the low end of the spectrum, of my problem with the impossible deadly shots for beginners, and of Ellery's (and other people's) problem with extremely highly skilled chars who laugh at modifiers and actually shoot out the lights before they go into a fight.

Your thoughts?
Ellery
The problem with that suggestion is that experts then gain very little relative benefit from positive modifiers. If you're already rolling 14 dice, does it matter if you get +2 more from a smartlink? Not likely. It's not even enough to offset the target being in somewhat dim lighting.

Edit: Well, that's the problem in SR3. In SR4 it would work better than the default system, if by "TN" you mean "threshold", for the reasons you've stated.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (El Ojitos)
that makes this attempt a pretty long shot (probabilty of around 0.5%).

.385% at TN 20, actually. That isn't much of a long shot—fortunately, with the programming rules, it will take ages and be buggy as all hell. Otherwise the rules would be broken.

~J
TheNarrator
QUOTE (El Ojitos)
The problem is that he can't pull off a killing shot at all. Ever. No matter what he does. If he puts his Colt American right to someone's forehead and pulls the trigger - at point blank - with no resisitance whatsoever - his only hope is that the GM will say "Screw the rules. Let's just say he's dead" because otherwise he will need at least four shots to kill that person.

If he puts his weapon "right to someone's forehead" then called shot and taking aim rules would apply, and if the other person isn't trying to dodge then he will get no combat pool (and armor won't apply if he has no helmet, in my opinion). Likewise, in such a situation, a good GM should skip the abstract ruleset and simply declare the appropriate effect. Combat's over. It's plot RP at that point.

Nor is shooting someone in the forehead automatically lethal. There's a specific part of the brain you have to shoot for an instakill. Other portions can be damaged by a bullet and still leave the potential for the target to recover. (Although brain damage may have unexpected side effects, such as personality changes.)

Also, someone with skill 1 might be better off defaulting to their Quickness. Plus, Karma can be spent for automatic successes. Sort of an equivalent to the "natural 20" in that other game. To a degree, Karma represents luck, after all.

But ultimately, it is an abstract system. It will never be perfect. No game system ever could be. And since it is a game, people with a higher skill should have an advantage, otherwise they wasted their time. I think it does a far better job than d20, where shooting someone (no matter how awesomely well-aimed a shot it was) will only do 2d6 damage and essentially give them a paper-cut. I think it does a better job than the World of Darkness or SR4 systems, where lethal shots require a significant amount of luck on top of an incredible amount of skill. This is only my opinion, but I stand by it.

If there's a flaw in the system, it's probably that there's no rule for people to bleed out or die slowly from wounds that aren't automatically Deadly. A shot to the lung or guts won't kill you on the spot, but it would soon after without medical attention. That's far more likely for a novice or untrained wielder of firearms to achieve than some one-in-a-million hit to the heart or brainpan.

Another thing to note (and this is just my personal take on things, those with mroe experience should feel free to contradict me) is that aiming guns is hard. People who don't know what they're doing don't tend to hit much, especially when other people's bullets start flying around to distract them. The 50% chance of getting a hit for a person with Pistols 1 is probably far too generous. Hell, the first time I picked up a rifle I couldn't hit a soup can at twenty meters, and I had pretty good hand-eye coordination and plenty of time to aim.
Triggerz
QUOTE (Ellery)
The problem with that suggestion is that experts then gain very little relative benefit from positive modifiers. If you're already rolling 14 dice, does it matter if you get +2 more from a smartlink? Not likely. It's not even enough to offset the target being in somewhat dim lighting.

Edit: Well, that's the problem in SR3. In SR4 it would work better than the default system, if by "TN" you mean "threshold", for the reasons you've stated.

It would keep the number of dice rolled lower than rolling a 'virtual opponent' pool, and would do a better job at making impossible tasks impossible than either the virtual opponent or the official system (for highly-skilled individuals). Gets my vote.

Ellery, what do you suggest for positive modifiers like, say, the smartlink bonus you just mentioned? You write them separately and they nullify negative modifiers instead of adding to your pool? I guess that would work fine.
Ellery
Well, I think the whole fixed TN system is inherently flawed, but if you want it as unflawed as possible...well, I don't really know. At some point, having threshold penalties won't matter much either because the skill is so high that it's rare not to generate at least (threshold + average opponent's hits). I can see an argument for smartlinks only reducing penalties--if the target is in the clear and not moving and close by and in the light, you can tell where you're aiming thanks to the sights on your gun. And I can see an argument for not: smartlinks give you precision information that you just can't get visually, regardless of condition.

It's kind of a quandry, because the more dice you roll, the longer of a tail you have where there is still the possibility of success--but the more dice you roll, the more dice you roll. The desire for fast and easy rolling is directly at odds with the desire to always have a chance. I'm not sure I can say how this deadlock should be broken--that depends on individual taste. I will say, however, that if your opponent has more than 3x the dice that you do, you will be very grateful for every single extra die you have due to their penalties, since that may make the difference between you having a chance, albeit a slim one, and you having none whatsoever.
Triggerz
On second thought, setting aside positive modifiers to reduce negative ones doesn't seem like such a good idea. I had suggested it because it was symmetric, but it would actually lower the impact of negative modifiers in an undesirable way. If stuff like smartlinks just add dice, sure, you'll have more to roll, but it will make penalties for shooting while running, for example, a bit more of a pain.

I can see an argument for smartlinks only reducing penalties

I just meant that you could write them separately and the dice could be added when there is no negative modifiers to cancel, but that was a bad idea, I think. In the end, if you have 24+ dice to roll, then yeah, negative modifiers probably won't affect you as much as they should even if they raise the threshold. Well, Edge is limited though, so who knows? Maybe the list of attack modifiers is longer than I think. I'll know when I have the book.

I will say, however, that if your opponent has more than 3x the dice that you do, you will be very grateful for every single extra die you have due to their penalties, since that may make the difference between you having a chance, albeit a slim one, and you having none whatsoever.

On one hand, increasing your opponent's threshold is like an automatic success for you. On the other hand though, if you use Edge, it's one less die that could explode.
Ellery
You may be facing penalties also (possibly the same penalty!), and a penalty for you is an automatic success for them. Better that way than losing dice, but still, you'd be better off still if both you and your opponent gained dice.
Triggerz
QUOTE (Ellery)
You may be facing penalties also (possibly the same penalty!), and a penalty for you is an automatic success for them. Better that way than losing dice, but still, you'd be better off still if both you and your opponent gained dice.

*lightbulb turns on* Sorry, I hadn't understood what you were proposing at first. Adding the penalties you suffer to your opponent's dice pool would indeed level the playing field even more than using thresholds. It wouldn't require a low-skill guy to use Edge as much as the dice totals would be more even, and having more dice to roll would make Edge more useful when the low-skill guy decides to use it. I'll add that to my notepad of things to playtest.
Ellery
That was Rolemodel's idea (or at least, he was the first person who proposed it who I am aware of), not mine.

The penalty is always Threshold increase was also not my idea (I forget who first proposed that).

Here, I'm mostly saying, "Hey, look at this! Could be trouble here!" rather than suggesting fixes to SR4. My creative energy is channeled elsewhere, for the most part, since I don't plan on playing SR4 myself. Also, the mindset of those who really like SR4 is somewhat difficult for me to understand, and therefore it's difficult for me to know whether a proposed fix would be likable for such people.

A lot of comments sound to me like, "Yay, this giant glaring hole in the mechanics is a feature I've been waiting for for years! I'm so happy! Now I can tell my players not to drive through it!"

I'm not too sure what one is supposed to do when faced with that.
Triggerz
Well, personally, it's not the giant holes in SR4 that I like, but the SR3 holes they got rid of. If SR4 ends up being unplayable, I might decide to stick with SR3. But I really like what they did with the armor rules, to give just one example. I'll give SR4 a chance though.
El Ojitos
QUOTE (Ellery)
The problem with that suggestion is that experts then gain very little relative benefit from positive modifiers.  If you're already rolling 14 dice, does it matter if you get +2 more from a smartlink?  Not likely.  It's not even enough to offset the target being in somewhat dim lighting.

True, but I find that effect quite desirable. If you are really good at shooting (=many dice) it means that you are experienced enough to know where your bullet will end up even without a smartgun. All a smartlink will do is to give you a little extra security and control, it won't chance the odds very much. For a novice, though, a crutch like a smartlink may make a world of difference.

Edit: Well, that's the problem in SR3.  In SR4 it would work better than the default system, if by "TN" you mean "threshold", for the reasons you've stated.

Actually I didn't. I meant the TN. I know this means leaving the fixed TN philosophy of SR4 behind. But that way I think we could reap the benefits of both systems.
Ellery
QUOTE (El Ojitos)
If you are really good at shooting (=many dice) it means that you are experienced enough to know where your bullet will end up even without a smartgun. All a smartlink will do is to give you a little extra security and control, it won't chance the odds very much. For a novice, though, a crutch like a smartlink may make a world of difference.
That sounds like a description of how SR4 works. I don't see why it makes sense, though. Do you think expert sharpshooters would do nearly as well without a scope as with one? I'd think that it was an integral part of the tool that they're skilled in using, and that removing it would be a major disadvantage.

QUOTE (El Ojitos)
Actually I didn't. I meant the TN. I know this means leaving the fixed TN philosophy of SR4 behind. But that way I think we could reap the benefits of both systems.
If you're going to vary TNs, why not have TN changes do everything? Then you don't have to spend so much time calculating the number of dice (you really only have to worry about the TN), and you have SR3.

I don't see that you get much out of the change. If you really want to enable more dice, you can have a rule that you can voluntarily increase your TN by 1 or more in exchange for 1 or more dice.
El Ojitos
QUOTE (Ellery)
If you're going to vary TNs, why not have TN changes do everything? Then you don't have to spend so much time calculating the number of dice (you really only have to worry about the TN), and you have SR3.

As we have seen SR4 has flaws (you'd probably say: is broken) at the high end of the spectrum: modifiers taking away dice from the pool don't affect really highly skilled chars very much. Practically impossible tasks can be done too easily.
As Rolemodel and others have tried to convince us SR3 is flawed at the low end of the spectrum: TN can't go below 2. Unskilled people can't generate enough successes.
My suggestion would retain the strengths of both systems, I think.

If you really want to enable more dice, you can have a rule that you can voluntarily increase your TN by 1 or more in exchange for 1 or more dice.

That should do the trick as well. Would you allow that even if the modifiers for an action add up to a TN of less than 2, so that you can at least get extra dice if you can't lower your TN any more?

With all those great ideas out there we should be able to find an easy and elegant fix for the SR4 problem without giving up the fixed TN.
Ellery
If you really want to enable more dice, you can have a rule that you can voluntarily increase your TN by 1 or more in exchange for 1 or more dice.
That should do the trick as well. Would you allow that even if the modifiers for an action add up to a TN of less than 2, so that you can at least get extra dice if you can't lower your TN any more?
Of course, that's most of the point. You'd have to raise it from 2, though, not from much-less-than-2. However, this is a fix for SR3, not SR4.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012