Full Version: Edge and Glitching
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Dashifen
So, the relevant quotes from the book:

QUOTE ("SR4 p. 55")
If half or more of the dice pool rolled come up as 1s, then
a glitch results.

QUOTE ("SR4 p. 67")
  • You may declare the use of Edge before rolling for any one test (or one interval roll on an Extended Test).  You may add a number of extra dice equal to your full Edge attribute to the dice pool.....
  • You may declare the use of Edge after you have rolled for one test.  In this case, you may roll a number of extra dice equal to your full Edge attribute and add their hits to the test's total....

So here's the rub: it specifically states that when declaring an "edge roll" as my group's come to call it, prior to the roll, the Edge dice are added to your dice pool, thus making glitches more rare by increasing the number of ones necessary to glitch.

However, the question we have is this: rolling Edge dice after a roll isn't explicitly stated to add dice to the dice pool. Thus, if you wanted to use edge to get rid of a glitch after the fact, rolling more dice isn't the way to do it -- instead you just buy off the glitch with edge. That was my ruling, at least, and seems logical in the context of the rest of the uses for Edge on page 67 of SR4. However, I could have easily ruled the other way, but that would have (a) potentially removed the glitch by increasing the number of ones and (b) increased the number of hits. Since I didn't perceive that (a) was in the intention of the rules, I ruled as above but wanted your thoughts.

So, to re-cap: it seems clear that rolling Edge with the original rool -- an Edge roll -- you need to have half of that total dice pool (Attribute + Skill + Edge +/- Modifiers) to glitch. But, when declaring Edge after a roll, those new dice are not added to the original dice pool, thus neither increasing nor decreasing your chances to glitch.

Thoughts?
Dashifen
Also, is it one half of your dice pool rounded up or down when you glitch? I'd say it should be rounded up but I couldn't find anything in the Glitching section (p. 55 SR4) earlier that I recall now.
hahnsoo
It's half or more, which means if you roll 5 dice, you need 3 (or more) to glitch.

EDIT: Oh, and I agree with your assessment. If you add Edge before you roll, the Edge bonus dice count as part of the dice pool to determine glitches. If you add Edge after you roll the test, you are in effect rolling a separate "Edge roll", counting up the hits, and adding the hits after the fact. It doesn't nullify a glitch, nor does any 1's that come up on the test add to the 1's needed to glitch on the test.
evil1i
That sounds correct to me.

Before the Roll you are in effect taking that little bit more care with your shot/hit/spell/task so you are less likely to glitch (statistically this isn't the case but thats a debate for a different thread) and more likely to do more damage.

whereas

After the Roll you are in effect pressing your advantage (whether you have glitched or not).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012