Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Arrrggg, Technomancers
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (blakkie)
In 2070 trodes are just as good as a datajack. It isn't explicitly stated anywhere, but i just ran on the assumption that trodes advanced enough to make datajacks unnessasary. *shrug*

Yup considering you can run in hot sim mode in VR on the trix with trodes they are as good if not better than a datajack because you don't have to have anything implanted AND you can have them painted onto your body (nanopaste trodes) or have it be on the inside of your hat brim like a bandana...
blakkie
QUOTE (Fortune @ Sep 20 2005, 12:05 PM)
Didn't think of Essence loss, but if it follows along from previous thinking on the matter, there shouldn't really be any. Losing things doesn't usually cost Essence, it's when they are replaced that it becomes a factor. I don't think being hooked up to tubes would count as replacing things in the spirit of the Essence rules.

You are clearly into house rule only territory (no matter how you rule it), and not counting essense loss for having your innards replaced by a machine and your skull peeled away to float your brain in a bath of synthetic fluid certainly puts you in very questionable house rule territory. So basically if you make up your own ruling one way on that then you have full power Technos in a jar. *shrug*
mfb
definitely a house rule, yes, but also very definitely in keeping with the existing rules.
snowRaven
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
or the confusion can be the same as the SR world feels as they dont have all the facts and are working on 50% or more guesswork.

allso, only place i know of that technomancers show up outside of SR4 is system failure (and then only as some story on the shadowland board or something). was there any rules/info on how to play them in there?

and if so, how does it differ from SR4 stuff in flavor?

thing is that as the matrix is all around them carryed on the airways, the otaku no longer have to jack in to enter the deep resonance. ie, they can be it 24/7 if they want to.

then there is the question if there was any residual effects of crash2.0 and how it can have affected the deep resonance effect.

No rules for how to play a technomancer (but there was limited rules suggestions for playing a 'ghost in the machine'), but it states fairly explicitly that they were created by something in and/or after the crash.

People who got 'trapped' in the matrix and 'came back' to their bodies discovered they could interact with the new wireless systems put in (there's a chapter of a person in stockholm being treated for psychic problems as she claims to have visited places in the matrix even though her jack is stopped and she has no deck, and she alters the temperature of the room with a thought. She can also see strange entities in the matrix, which she calles 'Idols'. (Stockholm already had wireless matrix access in place before the crash, and was among the first to start to run wireless after it)

5 years pass, and still we get no info whatsoever on these new technomancers, really, or what happened to the resonance/dissonance, really - or the AIs, or what these 'Idols' are.

Basically, it's as if they had given us Otaku rules back when the Denver sourcebook came out and said - 'here's how to make an otaku, they are strange children that deck without a deck' and left it at that. We lack enough background to make it possibly to really play a technomancer effectively - even if they don't understand their abilities, there should've been more 'in-character' info on the different ways they 'awaken', and what it is to be a technomancer. Or, they should've left them as NPC-only until the Unwired book came out and they got more explanation.
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb)
definitely a house rule, yes, but also very definitely in keeping with the existing rules.

Reaching in, pulling out organs, and replacing their function with machines? Er, only in keeping with the rules because the book can't reach out and wack you with a dead fish.
mfb
that's not how cyberware works. cyberware is connected to the body. if it's not connected, it costs no essence. for instance, that's how nanites work.
blakkie
However that isn't an exhastive list of how you can lose essense. EDIT: Page 61.
mfb
soaking in a nutrient bath under a doctor's care doesn't strike me as chemical abuse or toxin damage. you might be able to get away with negligence... but i dunno. lopping off an arm isn't negligence, apparently.
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb)
lopping off an arm isn't negligence, apparently.

Where does it say that? Or are you going back to the "If my leg gets cut off in an accident will it already be in heaven waiting for me" discussions that SR3 tried to address?

Because you can't really go by that stuff so much anymore, essense is different now. For example Bioware actually reduces essense.

I wasn't refering to that part. I was implying that i would find having someone remove my liver "invasive". nyahnyah.gif

Further on page 61: It represents the body’s cohesiveness and holistic strength. If as a GM you find that a body still has all it's "cohesive and holistic strength" when reduced to a brain floating in a jar.....that is an interesting take.
mfb
i'm going back to the game rule that losing a limb doesn't cost you any essence.
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb @ Sep 20 2005, 12:56 PM)
i'm going back to the game rule that losing a limb doesn't cost you any essence.

....which isn't explicitly in SR4, and which was added in SR3 as part of with the rest of that misguided attempt to in detail explain IC the IC absurdness created by the purely balancing game mechanic driven Essense attribute, while still allowing the "blind mage" type of concept. An attempt that mostly created more questions than answers, and killed a few more trees in the process. nyahnyah.gif
mfb
there aren't any rules at all in SR4 relating to limb loss. it's not unreasonable to assume that the rules for it should be the same as in SR3--though, of course, it wouldn't be unexpected if they're different.
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (mfb)
there aren't any rules at all in SR4 relating to limb loss. it's not unreasonable to assume that the rules for it should be the same as in SR3--though, of course, it wouldn't be unexpected if they're different.

Welllllllllllllllllll actualy I would say it would be unreasonable to assume its like sr3 considering that essence works differently in sr4, and well its a entirely new eddition biggrin.gif. But thats just me and my take on things. wink.gif
FiveVenoms
I had a *thought*- Pardon if someone covered this already, but there seemed to be an awful lot of you suck/no YOU suck going on, and I skipped ahead. I was debating a theory that could sort of explain the Technomancer theory, but would, naturally, have to be fleshed out.

Now, part of my understanding is, in sourcebooks of the last ten or so years, there are references to the "resonance" in the matrix-a force, that influences the matrix in a quasi-mystical way. They may have cleared this up at some point, which would invalidate this whole theory,but if so, it is in one of the many, many sourcebooks I haven't read. Bear that in mind. Could it be assumed that the powers of Technomancers work more on a matrix-side way of doing things? They aren't "shooting radio waves" at devices, but rather, this resonance is reacting to their immediate brain waves and actions-with a wireless matrix in place, I could assume that the "regions" of AR are reacting to the Technomancer's actions/brain activity. Where goes an AR network, so goes the resonance/matrix (which would explain why Technomancers 'freak out' in regions with no matrix). A technmancer perceives these things because he's being hit with the same signals as a commlink would be, but the Signal/range of the device doesn't apply-it could, insofar as how distant/powerful the Technomancer's connection is with the Resonance.

I'll stop now, and move on for clarification later in case I've missed some critical point, but does that come across as slightly more plausible than someone shooting high range radio signals out of their eyes?
snowRaven
Yeah, FiveVenoms - this is similar to what I'm leaning towards as well.
hahnsoo
It simply isn't plausible to influence light in that manner. Radio, like other forms of light, isn't like water... you can't muck about in it and expect to make meaningful ripples. In order to influence wireless devices, you have to be able to send a wireless signal, and one that can encode information relevant to the wireless matrix. Their ability to manipulate the Matrix isn't in question (as it's one of the key assumptions you have to make about otaku as well, even though they happen to do it using an ASIST converter and a DNI interface)... it's the ability for a human body to send out meaningful radio waves to act upon the Wireless Matrix. I'd buy it if they provided SOME form of reasonable explanation (a "relay" Sprite, magic, a new organ, being able to relay their abilities through a skin-linked commlink, etc.), but they don't.
FiveVenoms
I realize that. My "jump" here was assuming that in the event of a making the matrix wireless, we were no longer talking about radio waves, etc, as it applies to Technomancers. That seems to be the major stumbling block of most of these theories that could explain a Technomancer's powers. Instead I make an assumption about the "resonance" of the Matrix, and that is in fact, what the Technomancer is interacting with, in accordance with their personal abilities (Resonance is the Technomancer attribute, right? higher attribute=more influence with the Resonance/Matrix). Since the radio waves, data streams, etc., are flowing in the space around the character, interacting with commlinks, thusly so is the "resonance" of the matrix. So technomancers interact with that directly, instead of light/radio waves. I'll admit it's a bit of a leap of faith, but it works for me as an adequate personal explanation-unlike "radio brains".
hahnsoo
Again, light/radio doesn't work like that. There aren't "streams" of data or a "pool" of radio (both of which are simple metaphors for far more complex phenomena) that you are "resonating" with (thus, my statement "Light is not like water"). To be able to influence light in that manner would take even more suspension of disbelief than to assume that technomancers have the ability to emit radio (through magical or mundane means).
FiveVenoms
Hmm. Maybe I'm not being clear about my theory; I'm not talking about light or radio, since I'm aware (although definitely not acutely) of the physics phenomena you're talking about. The only aspect of the Matrix (and the accompanying signals) that I'm referencing is the "Resonance". Problem of course being, that I really couldn't tell you (other than the ways in which SR sourcebooks and such cite it) what it is. However, I'm assuming it is similar to neither radio signals or particles/frequencies/etc. of light. One would have to assume in my theory (and this is part of why I said it was half thought out: I was hoping that with discussions like this one, we could find a quasi plausible way of figuring out Technomancers), that the Resonance doesn't operate like the signals that carry to comlinks and other wireless devices. It would have to be translateable as a 3-D "space" accompanying AR, or at least that's how the brain perceives it. In fact, now that I think about it, maybe that would be the answer; the resonance translates as a signal that the brain could interpret, and your personal resonance, serving the same purpose as a magical rating (essentially), but being inherently non-magical, determines the extent to which these resonance "signals" are influenced. I could see some apprehensions on the "mystic" aspect of this theory, but again, it seems like you almost have to go that route for any explanation.
Fortune
Or, you could just say it's Magic! biggrin.gif
FiveVenoms
Yeah, but then what would I do with my spare time?
Kremlin KOA
QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (mfb @ Sep 20 2005, 12:56 PM)

....which isn't explicitly in SR4, and which was added in SR3 as part of with the rest of that misguided attempt to in detail explain IC the IC absurdness created by the purely balancing game mechanic driven Essense attribute, while still allowing the "blind mage" type of concept. An attempt that mostly created more questions than answers, and killed a few more trees in the process. nyahnyah.gif

okay then blakkie, since you seem to he a source of such

what is the esse4nce of someone born with a limb missing?

does the amount vary if it is a mutation or just a birth drformity caused by the conditions of the womb?
hobgoblin
QUOTE (FiveVenoms)
Yeah, but then what would I do with my spare time?

notworthy.gif
hahnsoo
So you are thinking of "subspace" or some other technobabble (not disparaging the idea, but that's the most appropriate term)... basically, all devices on the new Wireless Matrix are part of the Deep Resonance, and the communication between a technomancer and Deep Resonance operates on an unmeasurable level (akin to "subspace frequencies" on Star Trek).

*shrugs* Might as well say it's "Magic" (edit: Probably more akin to "the Force"), but only because the idea simply reiterates that mystic forces beyond our ken are involved (i.e. Deep Resonance). Don't get me wrong, I think the idea is a good one as an explanation, and if FanPro came out and said it, I'd consider it a hard pill to swallow, but I'd buy it. I think, in my mind, it conveniently discards years of fiction in the SR universe that focused on the mind-machine interface, specifically with children. The implication over the years was that otaku, while special, were also entirely mundane, more related to the Autism Spectrum Disorders than the Magus Factor. The Technomancer concept throws that out the window. I'm not sure that I (and my gaming group) like it, and our house rules regarding technomancers reflect this.

The other issue is "what happened to all the cyberware"? If there are otaku out there that survived (as implied by the fiction about technomancers in SR4, although I will note that System Failure states that many of them die during the Matrix Crash 2.0) and there were technomancers born out of the Matrix Crash (from being jacked in during the Crash, as stated in the technomancer piece in System Failure), then what happened to all of that cyberware? Or are there whole generations of technomancers that lose Resonance for simply having a little datajack?
blakkie
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA @ Sep 20 2005, 08:05 PM)
okay then blakkie, since you seem to he a source of such

what is the esse4nce of someone born with a limb missing?

does the amount vary if it is a mutation or just a birth drformity caused by the conditions of the womb?

Yes, that is a good example of a silly question that helped spawn the mess of essense handwaving in SR3.

Another good example is what happens with the huge range of brain sizes in people, approximately +/-15% covers the majority of the range, but there are definately a number outside that range that are functional humans (and definately some that are not).

Of course the answer is staring right at you on page 61, in the Essence explaination, and page 54.....if you actually wanted it.

P.S. In anticipation of the next silly question: When you die your leg you accidentally lost was already waiting there in heaven for years for you. Jesus had it on ice and reattaches it. wobble.gif
Nikoli
Honestly, it reminds me of Dan Simmons Hyperion Cantos, the second half of the series, Rise and Fall of Endymion. One character had access to what was referred to as Planck Space and could communicate, travel, perceive across the universe at a whim.I wonder if that is the direction of technomancers in the later fiction waiting to be written.
Autarkis
QUOTE (hahnsoo @ Sep 21 2005, 10:22 AM)
The other issue is "what happened to all the cyberware"?  If there are otaku out there that survived (as implied by the fiction about technomancers in SR4, although I will note that System Failure states that many of them die during the Matrix Crash 2.0) and there were technomancers born out of the Matrix Crash (from being jacked in during the Crash, as stated in the technomancer piece in System Failure), then what happened to all of that cyberware?  Or are there whole generations of technomancers that lose Resonance for simply having a little datajack?

What happened to the cyberware? They probably still have it and lost Resonance. So is the price an Otaku pays to not Fade (old definition) and keep their abilities, though somewhat changed.

So I would think there is a whole generation of technomancers that start with lower Resonance because of cyberware

/edit grammar errors eek.gif
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Autarkis @ Sep 21 2005, 09:44 AM)
So I would think there is a whole generation of technomancers that with lower Resonance.

I'd like to point out that there is only "one" generation of Technomancers, unless there is evidence that there is a distinction between pre-Crash Technomancers and post-Crash Technomancers. From the description in the book, Technomancers are either surviving otaku or folks who were caught jacked-in during the Crash... there is no mention of any folks becoming Technomancers several years after the Crash. This means that at least the old otaku would be cybered with a minimum of a datajack and a "Sim Module" (ASIST converter).
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Nikoli)
Honestly, it reminds me of Dan Simmons Hyperion Cantos, the second half of the series, Rise and Fall of Endymion.

Hyperion was cool - Endymion... well, a bit pathetic. wink.gif

Actually, SR4 is more like the dataspheres in those books.
Nikoli
Honestly i loved Endymion. not afraid to admit the ending made me weep, no mean feat for a sci-fi book. But the wireless world definitely had that feel to me.
blakkie
QUOTE (hahnsoo @ Sep 21 2005, 08:52 AM)
... there is no mention of any folks becoming Technomancers several years after the Crash.

There is a mention of there possibily being latent Technos, though that still in someone that was connected to the Matrix during the Crash.
Nikoli
Why do I suddenly see Technomancers being the bridge for spreading a computer virus into a biological form among the population?
hahnsoo
QUOTE (blakkie)
... there is no mention of any folks becoming Technomancers several years after the Crash.

There is a mention of there possibily being latent Technos, though that still in someone that was connected to the Matrix during the Crash.

Page reference? And what I meant was someone becoming a Technomancer independent of being an otaku or the Matrix Crash 2.0.
blakkie
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Sep 21 2005, 10:15 AM)

Page reference? And what I meant was someone becoming a Technomancer independent of being an otaku or the Matrix Crash 2.0.

Page 70.

As for generations, the Otaku are sort of a different generation of Technos, but only from a source perspective, not a time perspective. I suspect that as the metaplot evolves that the authors will open new paths for Technos to come into being. With only 5 years since the crash, and less since the recognized existance of Technos, there hasn't even been time to evaluate the children of Technos.
prionic6
@FireVenom:

If Technomancers are communicating with the Matrix via other means than radiowaves, why don't their powers work when there is a wired matrix node nearby but no wireless access? I think we should "investigate" in the direction of Transys-Erika. After all the whole thing runs on their protocols. We need an extraction of one of their eggheads.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (blakkie @ Sep 21 2005, 10:25 AM)
Page 70.

Carrie was a Matrix Broker in the Boston Stock Exchange when the Crash 2.0 hit. I was asking for a reference to anywhere that lists technomancers created independent of that event or not being a prior otaku.
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (hahnsoo @ Sep 21 2005, 11:03 AM)
Page 70.

Carrie was a Matrix Broker in the Boston Stock Exchange when the Crash 2.0 hit. I was asking for a reference to anywhere that lists technomancers created independent of that event or not being a prior otaku.

pg 232
It took several years for the new rumors and reports to
cohere, but undoubtedly something was diff erent. A new generation
of otaku had been born—only this time they were no
longer just children. Most of the young otaku of old had also
undergone a transformation, and they found that their powers
no longer faded with age.

That suggests to me 2 things. One not all technomancers were otaku. Secondly that not all otaku are now technomancers.

There is nothing saying that there have been technomancers that have resulted from anything but the crash of '64 BUT its also rather specific that this is a new phenomenon that no one's completely sure about. I've looked hard as I could for evidence talking about post crash technomancers, but so far nada. But its pretty clear that no one (in the game world) knows for sure.

QUICK EDIT:

Quick edit, If you'll notice that even 6 years after the crash technomancers are kinda like what otaku originaly were when they were first introduced. Rumor, posibility ect. Though at this point they're slightly beyond that moving up a bit but still a complete mystery.
blakkie
QUOTE (hahnsoo @ Sep 21 2005, 10:03 AM)
Page 70.

...and i qualified what i said as thus initially. Now don't make me get out my dead fish to wack you. nyahnyah.gif Thus there are possibily still Technos surfacing from that event.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (blakkie)
..and i qualified what i said as thus initially. Now don't make me get out my dead fish to wack you. nyahnyah.gif Thus there are possibily still Technos surfacing from that event.

Well, your page reference did not answer my question. Sorry, but I stated what I was looking for, and your answer failed to satisfy me. It's perfectly alright, but I'm just saying (again) that we have no evidence so far of any Technomancers that aren't from the Crash or weren't previously otaku.
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Sep 21 2005, 11:16 AM)
..and i qualified what i said as thus initially. Now don't make me get out my dead fish to wack you. nyahnyah.gif  Thus there are possibily still Technos surfacing from that event.

Well, your page reference did not answer my question. Sorry, but I stated what I was looking for, and your answer failed to satisfy me. It's perfectly alright, but I'm just saying (again) that we have no evidence so far of any Technomancers that aren't from the Crash or weren't previously otaku.

We also have no eveidence that says all technomancers are from the crash or were otaku. Take that as you will but...
blakkie
QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet)
We also have no eveidence that says all technomancers are from the crash or were otaku. Take that as you will but...

Er, actually we do have such evidence. We just don't have conclusive evidence, but it is close.
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet @ Sep 21 2005, 10:25 AM)
We also have no eveidence that says all technomancers are from the crash or were otaku.  Take that as you will but...

Er, actually we do have such evidence. We just don't have conclusive evidence, but it is close.

Not really. Considering technomancers are still mostly rumors and very little is known of them we really don't have anywhere near enough evidence to say 'all technomancers come from the crash end of story'. Infact the fact they're included in the eddition might suggest that they're not just from there and more will pop up over time. Unless they plan on never advancing past 2070. Granted thats using outside information to speculate and be used to measure things but...
hahnsoo
You could lay off the "but..." with ellipses at the end. smile.gif That's the second time on this page.
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
You could lay off the "but..." with ellipses at the end. smile.gif That's the second time on this page.

but...
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet)
QUOTE (hahnsoo @ Sep 21 2005, 11:35 AM)
You could lay off the "but..." with ellipses at the end. smile.gif  That's the second time on this page.

but...

Hehe. smile.gif
hahnsoo
Here's a historical question: What game-year was the first rumors about the otaku introduced? The earliest reference that I've found is in the Denver sourcebook (circa 2055), but they did a full-blown reveal of them shortly afterwards in Virtual Realities 2.0 (also 2055).
blakkie
QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet @ Sep 21 2005, 10:35 AM)
Infact the fact they're included in the eddition might suggest that they're not just from there and more will pop up over time.  Unless they plan on never advancing past 2070. Granted thats using outside information to speculate and be used to measure things but...

*wacks Shadow_Prophet with a dead Metagamer fish*

Well ya, Fanpro is likely to provide some other source of Technos whether it is through inheretance by birth, or through similar conditions created by the Crash produced intensionally or accidentally, or by some way for a non-Techno to be exposed to Submersion whether under their own efforts or by a Techno or AI leading them there.

They just haven't provided any yet.
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
Here's a historical question: What game-year was the first rumors about the otaku introduced? The earliest reference that I've found is in the Denver sourcebook (circa 2055), but they did a full-blown reveal of them shortly afterwards in Virtual Realities 2.0 (also 2055).

i <3 VR 2.0
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
The earliest reference that I've found is in the Denver sourcebook (circa 2055), but they did a full-blown reveal of them shortly afterwards in Virtual Realities 2.0 (also 2055).

Bingo. Denver was the introduction of the Otaku fluff, and VR 2.0 gave us the crunch.
Shadow_Prophet
I'm going to post some of the stuff from the other thread we were discussing this in.

from halabis
I dont understand where people keep getting the idea that Technomancers dont have datajacks or cyberware. Just because your powergaming chatacter wouldnt have them doesnt mean most technomancers in the Shadowrun universe dont. I would ventuer to guess that most technomancers DO have datajacks. Remember, people in the SR world dont have access to the SR rule book.

from Aku
think that people say technos wont have datajacks come from the fact that their resonance decreases like magic with installer cyber, from what i heard

From Shadow
QUOTE (Halabis)
I dont understand where people keep getting the idea that Technomancers dont have datajacks or cyberware. Just because your powergaming chatacter wouldnt have them doesnt mean most technomancers in the Shadowrun universe dont. I would ventuer to guess that most technomancers DO have datajacks. Remember, people in the SR world dont have access to the SR rule book. 

Why would they have Datajacks? They don't need them to connect to the AR world or the matrix. And that is the problem people have with them, they're vaguely magical but not, nature.

from hahnsoo
The default Technomancer archetype in the book doesn't have any cyberware. They seem to be really pushing this point, for some reason. I don't think any of the magic archetypes have cyberware either, unlike the Combat Mage archetype in SR2. If they wanted Technomancers to have a small amount of cyberware, wouldn't the archetype have it?

I know that when our group finally spits out a technomancer, it will probably have a datajack and/or other mundane cyberware, simply because it makes sense. *shrugs* But I'm not going to defend those elements of technomancers that contradicts the Sixth World game history (or the laws of physics, for that matter). All I'm saying is that there had better be a good explanation for all this when Unwired comes out. I'll be happy to play and enjoy technomancers in our group's games, but I also expect a semi-reasonable explanation for it all.

From Mr. Unpronounceable
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
...System Failure strongly implies that many are folks who were stuck on the Matrix when it crashed, but I can hardly believe that all of them were 'trode users without even the most basic of implants. If the same section in System Failure said something about "the subject's cyberware being spontaneously rejected and had to be removed" then we'd be getting somewhere. 

The initial technomancers are implied to have been some of the folks who were online during the second crash, or surviving Otaku. Most, if not all of these people would have some cyberware.

In the 5 years since then, there have been more people developing technomancer abilities spontaneously - this is where the cyber-free archetypes are being pulled from.

From hahnsoo
QUOTE (Mr. Unpronounceable @ Sep 21 2005, 01:42 PM)
The initial technomancers are implied to have been some of the folks who were online during the second crash, or surviving Otaku.  Most, if not all of these people would have some cyberware.

In the 5 years since then, there have been more people developing technomancer abilities spontaneously - this is where the cyber-free archetypes are being pulled from. 

But there is no indication in SR4 that these so-called "post-Crash technomancers" even exist. From the references in the book, the technomancers are described as literally being the people who were stuck in the Matrix during the Crash 2.0, and the otaku who have changed since then. There are no references to post-Crash technomancers emerging spontaneously. I double-checked SR4 just to be sure. Even in the flavor text on p70, the "latent technomancer" Carrie was caught in the Crash 2.0 in the East Coast Stock Exchange as a Matrix investor.

I'm not going to deny that it would be a great explanation. But that's not an explanation that is given in SR4. Maybe in Unwired, they'll say that such technomancers occur spontaneously, but so far it isn't in canon.

EDIT: I'm pretty much guilty of cluttering up this thread and taking it way off-topic. Further discussion of technomancers in the appropriate forum here, folks:
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...pic=9941&st=225

Ok I think I grabbed most everything there so people can understand where things might be coming from next

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012