IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> System's guide to paranoia, are you paranoid enough ?
Serbitar
post Sep 18 2005, 02:10 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,534

System's guide to paranoia

Have fun. Comments would be nice. Work still in progress.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Sep 18 2005, 03:16 PM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

Some typos, 'tom' appears a few places where 'to' should. You'll probably want to also address RFID tracking. The RFID in the candybar (or whatever) you bought has got to be shut down. The RFID in your medkit has probably been to some interesting places...

Thankfully, a few moments in the microwave fixes RFIDs just dandy. (or a quick sweep with that crowd control gun).

Oh and multiple anon services, in series, not just one, and in different legal jurisdictions, to add friction to any legal attempts to track you.

Next, getting secure equipment, if you can't do it for yourself, how to pick someone trushtworthy who can?

Of couse, you should also encourage errors in the system. The more errors there are in the sysem, the better chance your fake data has of getting through.

Next, social engineering. Carrying a clipboard and look like you know what you are doing.

Map dead zones and spam zones, so that you can know the quickest routes to them.

Get some data seach agents up and running in areas you frequent, have them give reports on any unusualy acitivty. Is there anyone following you around?

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Sep 18 2005, 03:19 PM
Post #3

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
Thankfully, a few moments in the microwave fixes RFIDs just dandy.  (or a quick sweep with that crowd control gun).

Or get a Tag Eraser ;)

+Quote Post
Dutchy
post Sep 18 2005, 04:01 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 7,736

Nice. Go on.

+Quote Post
Squinky
post Sep 18 2005, 04:30 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 7,377

Good read, Thanks.

+Quote Post
ambidextrous
post Sep 18 2005, 07:43 PM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 7,481

Style guides would say that if you don't indent each paragraph then put a space between them. It increases the readability.

+Quote Post
Serbitar
post Sep 18 2005, 09:23 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Thanks for the constructive feedback. I'll try to add them in future version.
Maybe I'll add some hints for gamemasters, too.

+Quote Post
Dutchy
post Sep 19 2005, 06:23 AM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 7,736

Mhmm, maybe a german translation? ;)

+Quote Post
Serbitar
post Sep 19 2005, 03:04 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Na, I wrote it in my poor English, so that everybody coould read it. Hm, maybe I'll transalte it it to German when its a litte bit more "done".

+Quote Post
Serbitar
post Sep 20 2005, 04:38 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Updeted to Version 1.1
Additional stuff and lots of fixes

If anybody has topics that shoudlbe included, feel free to post
(Im still writing up stuff that crusher bob suggested)

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Sep 20 2005, 04:50 PM
Post #11

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,675

Very nice. Thanks.

+Quote Post
cndblank
post Sep 22 2005, 03:49 AM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 7,685

Don't forget care and feeding of your Good Fake SIN.

If it doesn't have a certain level of activity on it, then the first hacker to take a good look at it will know it is a fake.

I can see agents creating a false trail to keep the SIN looking "Lived-in". Not to mention creating an alibi.

+Quote Post
morlock76
post Sep 22 2005, 11:34 AM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 7,559

You really hit the nail there I have to say.
Very much reflects my idea of life in SR4 for a runner, as well as Joe 2070.

The drop on the go point of view does / should come into mind with equipment, too.

You cant afford to keep the gun you used 10 times already, or the car you used to chase someone.

If ppl claim we have a "throw away era" now, I can imagine 2070 that even more.

My chars will have that thought in mind when I build em.

Cant trust it? Toss it.

(Check into the car jack thread, you may find some ideas / topics there, too.)

Otherwise, keep up the great work. This will be a handout for my players :-)

+Quote Post
Shadow_Prophet
post Sep 22 2005, 01:55 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,567

QUOTE (morlock76)

You cant afford to keep the gun you used 10 times already, or the car you used to chase someone.

Sure you can. Just use explosive, or ex explosive rounds or flechete. Not enough to realy get a traceable piece off of.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Sep 22 2005, 02:12 PM
Post #15

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet @ Sep 22 2005, 07:55 AM)
QUOTE (morlock76 @ Sep 22 2005, 06:34 AM)

Sure you can. Just use explosive, or ex explosive rounds or flechete. Not enough to realy get a traceable piece off of.

I wouldn't be so sure about the EX rounds. Given the advancements in the magical tech of SR piecing the jigsaw puzzle of the fragments back together doesn't seem like too much of a stretch. Mind you that isn't likely to happen on low profile situations, but anywhere someone of importance dies, or could have died. Especially if they are rich enough to pay for the forensics themselves.

I remember when years back when those first 2L Pepsi bottles had a habit of exploding like a frag grenade when they rolled and fell over. I saw a bottle that had been put back together after it had completely shattered. I likely took someone days to do, but there was a LOT of money at stake.

Even now just standard shredding of documents isn't enough because someone can just scan all the pieces in and get software to reasssemble it. Fifteen years ago that would be something happening for special cases at Langly or something. Roll forward 65 years from now and it isn't be hard to envision you'll have 3d microscopic scan of all the slug fragments they could find being reassembled by computer. This is even partially being done today after slugs are deformed they still can try match groves. It's just that it is computationally intensive to work back to a pre-deformed/pre-fragmented grove pattern, therefore reduced accuracy due to shortcuts taken, so they need bigger pieces to work with.

+Quote Post
Shadow_Prophet
post Sep 22 2005, 02:21 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Meh, considering they'd be looking at a bullet thats designed to essentialy explode and fragment, I'm prety sure there'd be more than enough deformation going on that there wouldn't be much if any grooves left on the fragments that are decernible.

+Quote Post
NightmareX
post Sep 22 2005, 02:24 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,687

The AVS, an assassin's best friend. 8) (Unless the manufacturers put mircotagents of some such crap in the duraplast/metal of the flechettes) :(

+Quote Post
Shadow_Prophet
post Sep 22 2005, 02:29 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

QUOTE (NightmareX)
The AVS, an assassin's best friend. 8) (Unless the manufacturers put mircotagents of some such crap in the duraplast/metal of the flechettes) :(

Then just make sure to switch batches of ammo in between hits

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Sep 22 2005, 02:34 PM
Post #19

Dragon

QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet @ Sep 22 2005, 08:29 AM)
QUOTE (NightmareX @ Sep 22 2005, 09:24 AM)
The AVS, an assassin's best friend.   8)   (Unless the manufacturers put mircotagents of some such crap in the duraplast/metal of the flechettes)   :(

If there was something else to tie the two events together, like someone went on a hunch based on an MO, that could make it worse. Think of it this way:

Set A of people with access to Batch X of the ammo.
Set B of people with access to Batch Y of the ammo.

If there is only partial overlap between Set A and Set B that just narrowed you down. The only thing keeping you safe at that point is how well your supply chain scrubbed the tracks of the ammo, which is out of your control except for the last step.

EDIT: A potential answer to that of course is the ever dangerous "make your own". :) Or erase the trail on that last step by erasing the contact, or stealing the stuff.

+Quote Post
Shadow_Prophet
post Sep 22 2005, 02:39 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Considering when I talk about a batch of ammo I'm talking about a manufacturing batch which could be distributed across a large amount of stores across the country. Especialy if purchased from a retail chain store where the batches will get further split up and will not be tracked once they get to the main distribution warehouse. The manufacturer might know which batches they sent there but the store in general doesn't give a damn what boxes from which batches they got as long as they have product to sell.

Granted I'm infering that it'd work similar in 2070 but yeah I think it would work just fine.

+Quote Post
NightmareX
post Sep 22 2005, 02:46 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet)
QUOTE (NightmareX @ Sep 22 2005, 09:24 AM)
The AVS, an assassin's best friend.  8)  (Unless the manufacturers put mircotagents of some such crap in the duraplast/metal of the flechettes)  :(

Yet another reason to be trigger happy :eek:

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Sep 22 2005, 02:48 PM
Post #22

Chicago Survivor

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,033

You are forgetting RFID's in the casings (possibly the shells) that allow them to track down to the store for each and every round pumped out the back of the factories. They could probably track to the buyer for said ammo, which means if Ares wants to keep up it's illegal arms trade to runners, it will have to arrange for thefts and subsequent tag burning

+Quote Post
NightmareX
post Sep 22 2005, 02:52 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

QUOTE (Nikoli)
You are forgetting RFID's in the casings (possibly the shells) that allow them to track down to the store for each and every round pumped out the back of the factories. They could probably track to the buyer for said ammo, which means if Ares wants to keep up it's illegal arms trade to runners, it will have to arrange for thefts and subsequent tag burning

Anyone that doesn't use caseless is just asking for trouble to begin with. That doesn't stop them for putting RFIDs in with the flechettes themselves (in the case of the aforementioned AVS), but like Blakkie said, make your own.

+Quote Post
Shadow_Prophet
post Sep 22 2005, 02:58 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

QUOTE (Nikoli)

Well considering guns fireing caseless by default putting it in the casings isnt going to do anything. And putting a rfid in a ex explosive round? Come on. No I doubt they'd do that for the simple reason of they'll never know exactly how the round of ammo would explode. And the exploding of the bullet would more than likely compromise it.

Secondly any assassin worth his weight would have a tag eraser for this anyways.

But still i doubt there'd be tags in explosive or ex explosive rounds simply due to the way they work. A tag in the box of ammo? sure. But that wouldn't help much with explosive ammo.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Sep 22 2005, 03:15 PM
Post #25

Dragon

QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet)
Considering when I talk about a batch of ammo I'm talking about a manufacturing batch which could be distributed across a large amount of stores across the country. Especialy if purchased from a retail chain store where the batches will get further split up and will not be tracked once they get to the main distribution warehouse. The manufacturer might know which batches they sent there but the store in general doesn't give a damn what boxes from which batches they got as long as they have product to sell.

Which is why one batch is ok. But you start giving too much info for Them to work with and it starts narrowing it down to a much smaller pontential group.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 09:33 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.