IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SR3 -> SR4 character conversion, Is it gonna happen?
krishcane
post Sep 21 2005, 08:55 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,784

Hi folks,

The FAQ said that a character conversion guide from SR3 -> SR4 would be posted on the website. A lot of Dumpshockers have expressed the opinion that since such conversion is so fraught with peril, it may never happen.

Any word from someone in a position to know? Is it still planned? Has it been started? And when might we expect it?

Or will the Powers That Be eventually just tweak and bless the best proposal they see on Dumpshock for such a conversion?

--K
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Sep 21 2005, 09:01 PM
Post #2

Chicago Survivor

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,033

Basically, what i would do is grab the chart from SR3 where it says X represents Y level of skill relative to most folks and find the comparative desription on the chart in SR 4.
Where you have several skills at comparable levels in what would otherwise be in a group, have the group at the average level.
Cyberware should port over to one degree or another.

There are so many mechanics changes that happen out of this that it's not funny for some character types. SL goes from a must have .5 loss to an eye mod or an equally as powerful HUD add-on, etc.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Sep 21 2005, 09:10 PM
Post #3

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

So, basically... save the pain, rebuild. ;)

+Quote Post
Shadow
post Sep 21 2005, 09:20 PM
Post #4

Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill.

Member No.: 2,006

Converting SR3 to SR4 is as about as easy as converting SR3 to D20.

Easier to just rebuild and throw some karma at him.

+Quote Post
mintcar
post Sep 21 2005, 09:29 PM
Post #5

Karma Police

Member No.: 6,505

For critters; you could compair the ones that have been converted already with the old ones, and try to repeat the process. For NPC´s; you had to rebuild them before too, because they were always the wrong powerlevel anyways. For player characters... it´s 10 years difference, so why not just make new characters? Get a fresh start. For playing old characters in the old timeline with the new rules; remake still. Use the normal creation rules, then add the total amount of karma the character had, to improve it. Karma rewards seem to be the same, right?

Some things could still be said to help people converting stuff. I would like them to do it, but it´s not a big deal.

+Quote Post
krishcane
post Sep 21 2005, 09:30 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Right, I know, these are generally the opinions I hear on the forum.

However... the fine folks at FanPro did promise a conversion guide, and I'm interested in that. So what I'm asking now is... do they still plan on this? And if so, when?

--K

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Sep 21 2005, 09:46 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,516

Hear, hear! I agree with the fine krishcane; we were promised a conversion guide, and we want one!!! Regardless of how impossible it is! :grinbig:

Seriously though, it'd be a great help, if we had one...

+Quote Post
warrior_allanon
post Sep 21 2005, 10:04 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,273

i agree as well, could use it to remodel some of the SR3 adventure modules to SR4, already did "First Run" and thinking about doing "Missions" but dont know if i want to go through the hassle

that cyber zombie in "Supernova" was a pain in the hoop

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Sep 21 2005, 10:13 PM
Post #9

Hoppelhäschen 5000

QUOTE (mintcar)
For player characters... it´s 10 years difference, so why not just make new characters?

It's 5 years... if you do the jump. ;)
Not that all characters have a linear timeline to begin with...

+Quote Post
NightmareX
post Sep 22 2005, 08:29 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,687

QUOTE (mintcar)
Use the normal creation rules, then add the total amount of karma the character had, to improve it. Karma rewards seem to be the same, right?

Problem with that is, while the karma awards have remained pretty much the same in SR4, the value of an individual karma point has depriciated. I my conversions (using the rebuild & add karma method) its seems that characters require 175% (give or take) the amount of karma they earned to get them to the approximate point they were in SR3. Note that this is dealing with initiated magicians, though, so that figure might be skewed.

+Quote Post
NightmareX
post Sep 22 2005, 08:44 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,687

QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
QUOTE (mintcar)
For player characters... it´s 10 years difference, so why not just make new characters?

It's 5 years... if you do the jump. ;)
Not that all characters have a linear timeline to begin with...

Yeah, and some are elves :)

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Sep 22 2005, 08:45 AM
Post #12

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Try using 500BP.

PS: Or Dwarves. Except Orks/Trolls that couldn't affort treatment... or Shapeshifters.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Sep 22 2005, 09:03 AM
Post #13

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

easy convertion for orks ..... convert to retirement. If you started you character in SR2 especially, you'll be grandpa tusker. 'Course then you actually get to be the old crazy shaman in the barrens that everyone goes to for broken and cryptic answers, because the old 'old crazy shaman in the barrens that everyone goes to for broken and cryptic answers' just died of old age.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Sep 22 2005, 09:25 AM
Post #14

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

Or you are a succesful, rich & retired ork runner who does use the old cliches and dies with 35, as your human chummer won't to do with 55. But let's don't get too off-topic ;)

Conversion from SR2 to SR3 was a pain in the ass and i doubt that it will be even possbile to convert chars to SR4. Just build them again, give them a lot of karma until you feel the new version is right. That's the way we will do, if the printed SR4 version ever arrives at my FLGS.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Sep 22 2005, 09:41 AM
Post #15

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

if the printed SR4 version ever arrives at my FLGS

know the feeling. I keep hearing "It'll be here next week". I was told that the first time three weeks ago. Occasionally they throw in a day "Tuesday", "okay, Friday", "sorry, Monday". Ergh
Back off topic again (hehe) at least all my ork characters always die.

I was trying to think out a magic convertion for initiates. I was thinking of keeping their grade the same, but halving their magic attribute.

+Quote Post
Reaver
post Sep 22 2005, 01:41 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,153

The best idea I can think of is save your money and stick with SR3. If you like something about SR4, port it over the 3... it'll be easier. ;)

+Quote Post
Shadow_Prophet
post Sep 22 2005, 01:43 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,567

QUOTE (Reaver)
The best idea I can think of is save your money and stick with SR3. If you like something about SR4, port it over the 3... it'll be easier. ;)

unless you're talking about the dice system ;)

+Quote Post
krishcane
post Sep 23 2005, 04:34 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

* bump *

O, Powers That Be, please reply....

Will there be a canon conversion?

--K

+Quote Post
Reaver
post Sep 26 2005, 12:59 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,153

QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet)
QUOTE (Reaver @ Sep 22 2005, 08:41 AM)
The best idea I can think of is save your money and stick with SR3.  If you like something about SR4, port it over the 3... it'll be easier.  ;)

LOL, no thank you. I don't need a dice system that was designed for a 4 year old. ;)

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Sep 26 2005, 02:24 PM
Post #20

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

How about characters fairly near chargen? I'm looking at converting a starting decker/shaman character, and Holy Jesus is 400 build points not near enough. I don't even know if 500'll be enough, not unless he suddenly turns into an elf or dwarf or something. Contacts are far more expensive; damn near every one of his skills has become a skill group; attributes are expensive; and of course I had to write cybereyes into his backstory. What a headache.

+Quote Post
Shadow_Prophet
post Sep 26 2005, 02:31 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

QUOTE (Reaver)
QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet @ Sep 22 2005, 06:43 AM)
QUOTE (Reaver @ Sep 22 2005, 08:41 AM)
The best idea I can think of is save your money and stick with SR3.  If you like something about SR4, port it over the 3... it'll be easier.  ;)

LOL, no thank you. I don't need a dice system that was designed for a 4 year old. ;)

Far more effective dice system than in sr3 or D20.

Oh and onto Eyeless. Your problem stems from the fact that well 400 bp, generaly gets you the same power level as you had in sr3 out of chargen (yeah I know people will argue with me here but from the sessions I've run you generaly end up the same power level in all honesty. You can still do the same type of things. Yeah the numbers LOOK lower, but just because they look lower doesn't mean they aren't just as powerful.)

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Sep 26 2005, 02:44 PM
Post #22

Decker on the Threshold

Heh, no offense but yeah right. Even 1 rank in all the skills I had a 3 or better in on my old charsheet costs me about 70 BP; add in half the spells, the Mage quality and mentor spirit (which really does have to be there), most of the contacts and a significant portion of the gear and that leaves me with about 100 points left for attributes, 10 of which have to be burned into Magic because of the cybereyes.

Probably it's true in the average case; I guess my character's just a huge munchkin powerbuild or something.

+Quote Post
Shadow_Prophet
post Sep 26 2005, 03:03 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
Heh, no offense but yeah right. Even 1 rank in all the skills I had a 3 or better in on my old charsheet costs me about 70 BP; add in half the spells, the Mage quality and mentor spirit (which really does have to be there), most of the contacts and a significant portion of the gear and that leaves me with about 100 points left for attributes, 10 of which have to be burned into Magic because of the cybereyes.

Probably it's true in the average case; I guess my character's just a huge munchkin powerbuild or something.

And were you using priority or CP's for that?

Secondly alot of skills have been consolidated. Not to mention thats rather rediculous. Lets do a little math here. I'm going to guess thats 7 skill groups you're doing there. Taking a guess you grabbed Sorcery, and Conjuring, as well as Cracking and Electronics. Add on you probably grabbed firearms and Infiltration groups and posibly influence. You probably have some skills in there you don't need at all and didn't use in 3rd ed.

Slap on no reason at all to need cybereyes with the advent of skinlinked glasses with image link and trodes. Theres no reason at all to get cyberware for your char here. Slap on the fact you can have spells and are not limited to 6 force in chargen. Not to mention the uses of spirits now. And that its decently cheap to get good programs and a good comlink. Yeah I'm prety certain its rather easy to pull off a character thats as good as his sr3 counterpart out of chargen, if not better. If ONLY for the reason out of chargen, if he so wanted he could chuck a force 12 manabolt your way, something a sr3 char could never do.

Thirdly you're doing direct comparisons which isn't right. If you wan't I'll take a little time and work up a shaman/decker for you, thats not the equivilent to blakkies twinked out min maxed one. I'll make him as generic as possible so if you wanted you could just take it as a template and mold in your particulars without much work.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Sep 26 2005, 03:10 PM
Post #24

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

Why are you taking cybereyes? Retinal dulpicators? If it is just simple vision augmentation or Smartlink that's not the way you should be going.

Contacts aren't exactly the same thing they were before either. There are now rules for you to buy gear on the blackmarket w/o going through a Contact. Mind you in SR4 you actually pay more for the contact with better connections. In SR3 that janitor cost you the same as the mob boss or high-end fixer, assuming they were at the same loyalty to you. So depending on your contact list that can end up costing you a lot more.

To spend 1 point each on that many skills, assuming you aren't going any Skill Groups, you would have had to burn 50+ SR3 BP to get 3 in those Skills (setting aside that in some cases skills get combined)? Do you have easy assess to at least the SR4 list?

Kinda sounds like in the process of trying to replicate the SR3 optimized character you made poor SR4 choices.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Sep 26 2005, 03:20 PM
Post #25

Decker on the Threshold

Thanks but no; I'll get it eventually. I've got to learn the ins and outs of the system myself, and attempting the impossible is just exactly the way to do it. :)

I can't get rid of the eyes though; it's kinda a big part of the character's backstory. (*points at nick*) :D While I'm mucking around in there I might spend some cash on headware/bioware too, though there's not much to actually get yet. I wonder what the SR4 equivalent of the encephalon will be like?

As for skills, no they weren't all skill groups. He actually had no skill in firearms, if you can believe it, and only Ettiquite as opposed to Influence. He did have Computer and Computer B/R though, as well as Sorcery and Conjuring; basically all the skills that suddenly became groups. As well as a few other bits and pieces; they add up quick though.

Hm, what would the equivalent of all those L2 database contacts (out of Matrix) be worth in straight BP now?

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 10:08 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.