Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SR4 Excel Character Creator Spreadsheet, v0.9 - almost final version
Wizdoc
post Sep 28 2005, 02:06 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,784

UPDATE: v0.991 posted. List of updates & download link in the appropriate post downthread.

I've been working on a SR4 Excel Character Creation Spreadsheet ever since the PDF came out. The current version (v0.9.) is in such a state I can post it for everyone to test out. While it's definitely not the final version, it is fully functional. You can create a fully playable character with the current version, though, including picking cyber & bioware that are automatically calculated into the stats when applicable (e.g. Dermal Plating or Wired Reflexes).

What is currently missing:

* Most of the weapons & gear
* Most of the hermetic magic spells
* All Adept powers and shaman & Hacker stuff
* Most of the Magic/Hacker oriented second page (for displaying programs, spells, dice pools etc.)

There also might be some bugs and strange results I haven't thought about. The layout (especially in the printable pages) are also not in their final form. They may not print out as they should.

NOTE: The spreadsheet does contain macros. They're only used for the (currently non-existent) "Clear Character" button, so feel free to disable the macros if you're paranoid.

What I'm looking for are your comments. What do you think? What should be improved? What is confusing in the sheet?

Thanks

Wizdoc

IMPORTANT NOTE: I am no longer developing this particular character sheet. Other people have graciously continued my work (see updates and discussion downthread), but I still continue to receive e-mails asking questions about this. This sheet has changed (and improved) so much since I worked on it, I can't really help anyone asking particulars how stuff in it works anymore, as I have pretty much lost track of how everything goes together myself. Sorry.

So - I can't respond to any queries or questions about the character sheet anymore!

Thanks for understanding, and keep up the great work you folks have done to it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Wizdoc
post Sep 28 2005, 07:00 PM
Post #2

Target

I should also note that this spreadsheet is a separate project from the other Excel workbook (the Autarkis sheet, it was called?). Just to clear up any possible confusion.

Wizdoc

+Quote Post
coolgrafix
post Sep 28 2005, 09:00 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,116

WizDoc, it seems you're new around here, at least to posting. Welcome to the forums. =)

I'm working on an SR4 Excel character generator myself, based on my SR3 version. I'm sure we can benefit from a little collaboration, sharing table information if nothing else. You've saved me a little typing already it seems. This evening I'll send a link to my own unfinished project in case you have any interest.

+Quote Post
KeyMasterOfGozer
post Sep 29 2005, 04:24 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,068

Hi, love the work WizDoc.

I really like Blakkie's as well, but I like how in yours you have the skills all listed out easy to view to build and then have the condensed Char sheet for printing separate.

If I may comment, Nikoli has an advanced Commlink builder also in excel. Perhaps you and he could strike a bargain where you could replace your 1 line commlink/os choice with his builder, maybe just a cut and paste situation. That would be extra cool.

Here is Nikoli's article:
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=9984

I noticed you only had some of the gear, I will put gear in your format and send it to you if you PM me as to how to do that. I can get some blocks done for you if it will help.

+Quote Post
KeyMasterOfGozer
post Sep 29 2005, 04:32 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,068

You were looking for comment on possible imporvements.

It would be nice to be able to see the Remaining Money down in the Gear pick section somewhere. This is only a minor complain, because you can scroll up to see it, but it would be nice to have it visible while you are spending.

+Quote Post
Wizdoc
post Sep 29 2005, 06:10 PM
Post #6

Target

Thanks for the comments.

Re: Commlinks

I am going to include commlink customizing into the sheet. There's also going to be possible to buy more hacker oriented stuff like specific programs and the like.

As far as printing goes, my goal is to have all the basic info in Page 1. Stats, skills, equipment, augmentations and such. So if you're creating a "regular" character, you only need to print out the first page. Page 2 will be for Magic-oriented characters with spell lists, related dice pools, spirits, foci etc. Page 3 will be for Hackers/Technomancers with hardware, software lists, their dice pools etc.

My intention is to have as complete printable sheet as possible but with the need of only needing to print out the pages that are relevant to your character. That's why the Commlink & OS are also viewable in Page 1, everyone pretty much has a Commlink.

Re: Seeing how much resources are left.

Yeah, functionality is something I'm aiming for. Not only it'd be nice to see the money left for purchasing gear, but it'd be nice to have the remaining BPs at sight as well. I'm looking into several options on how to achieve this.

BTW, no need to send me the gear lists. They're already done, as are the Adept powers. Only thing that's left are the rest of the grimoire and all the Hacker/Technomancer stuff. And some small tweaks like including bonuses from the races (e.g. Troll's armor & extra reach).

Wizdoc

+Quote Post
coolgrafix
post Sep 29 2005, 06:42 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Well, this is embarassingly incomplete, but I'll post it anyway so you can get an idea of the approach (i.e. Step by Step creation app versus sheet-based). In short, expect very little to actually work. Campaign parameters, race, unaugmented attributes should work, and the qualities will work though no mods will show up. There are still many holdovers from SR3, and since I've removed the priority system screen even that old stuff won't work. The end result would be a macro that builds the character sheet (yet to be built) in one tab.

Link here.

+Quote Post
coolgrafix
post Sep 29 2005, 06:46 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

I should also mention that the final version will have buttons for navigation, instead of relying on the tabs at the bottom.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Sep 29 2005, 06:46 PM
Post #9

Chicago Survivor

Member No.: 6,033

Feel free to incorporate my commlink generator into your sheet. you can find a link on this forum.

+Quote Post
Wizdoc
post Sep 29 2005, 11:13 PM
Post #10

Target

Here's v0.95, the next-to-final version.

You can get it here:

SR4 Excel Character Creator Spreadsheet v0.95

Things added:

* Adept powers.
* Spirits & Foci.
* Commlink customization.
* 99% of the gear (things left out are some variable cost items like clothing & sims).
* A floating display of BPs & Resources remaining (need to have macros enabled).
* A lot of small changes and additions. For example, Troll armor & reach, added Ork & Dwarf metatypes (I wonder how I forgot those :P) etc.
* Tweaked layout, both the creator and the print sheet.

What's still missing:

* Rest of the grimoire (help in typing them is greatly appreciated - the format is pretty easy to follow).
* Rest of the weapons, weapon accessories and munitions
* All the Hacker/Technomancer specific items like software.
* Page 2 & 3 layouts are still incomplete.
* Some of the qualities are not yet calculated in or listed (e.g. Exceptional Attribute or abilities from Mentor Spirits).
* Many of the metatype specific abilities (e.g. low-light vision) are not yet listed.
* Probably dozens of little things I may have missed.

Enjoy. And keep those comments coming.

Wizdoc

+Quote Post
Wizdoc
post Sep 30 2005, 12:45 AM
Post #11

Target

Thanks for the Commlink generator, Nikoli. I went over it, but due to how my sheet is structured, I ended having to build the actual implementation of the thing from the ground up. No big deal as it's only one small table anyway.

Good looking sheet, coolgrafix. Our approaches are indeed a bit differet. Yours is very functional, and to be used as an online companion that's open during play. Mine is more geared towards offline users - create a character, print it out and play, with no need to have a computer available during play. Both approaches have obvious pros and cons, so I think both version can co-exist rather peacefully. :)

Wizdoc

+Quote Post
coolgrafix
post Sep 30 2005, 02:49 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Both aim to have a printable character dosier/sheet as the final product, so they are not completely dissimilar. Mine is designed to carry through the life of the character, though, as you mention.

The overlap comes in the reference tables, naturally. It's quite a boon finding someone who's got different tables keyed in already. I'll make sure and give you credit on the credit tab when it's done. =)

+Quote Post
tirsales
post Oct 1 2005, 01:08 AM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 7,571

Boy ... I've done a chargen-spreadsheet myself ... But compared to those published in this forun :'-(
Weeeelll .. whatever ;-)

+Quote Post
calypso
post Oct 1 2005, 06:58 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,569

Essence calculations aren't taking Sensitive System drawback into account.

Awesome job, btw :D It would be nice if there wasn't a password to remove protection, however. Then I could just make the change myself. But, I understand wanting to keep control of it.

+Quote Post
Wizdoc
post Oct 1 2005, 02:07 PM
Post #15

Target

QUOTE (calypso @ Oct 1 2005, 01:58 AM)
Essence calculations aren't taking Sensitive System drawback into account.

Awesome job, btw  :D  It would be nice if there wasn't a password to remove protection, however.  Then I could just make the change myself.  But, I understand wanting to keep control of it.

I'll include the effects Sensitive System and other qualities into the next version.

Re: the password

I'm not really protective of my work here. Feel free to use any element or table or formula or whatever part of the sheet you want in your own project. I put the password in there in order to prevent multiple versions of the same sheet floating around when everyone is making their own modifications.

But keep those comments coming. If there's a rule or a character option in the corebook, I'll try my best to include it in the sheet.

I already noted several bigger omissions or errors that will be corrected in the next version (along with the list above):

* The effects of qualities. IIRC, only the Magic-related qualities (Magician, Adept, Mystic Adept, Technomancer) have any effect.
* Armor encumbrance. The rule was buried in the combat section and I was looking in the general encumbrance section with the rest of the gear so I missed that.
* Drain Value of spells is currently F/2 rounded up while it's supposed to be rounded down.

Wizdoc

+Quote Post
Wizdoc
post Nov 12 2005, 04:25 PM
Post #16

Target

Version 0.99

Okay, so I lied above. This isn't the final version. Things in real-life have intervened, so I can't really put as much time and effort into this spreadsheet as I should or would like to.

But, I have received requests for updates, so this version 0.99 does not have any password protection. Therefore, if you want to fill in the missing bits (mainly the rest of the grimoire), feel free to do so.

However, if you are going to post a more up-to-date version somewhere, please keep my name and e-mail address in the sheet (in addition your own, of course). Just so credit goes where credit is due. It's not cool to steal other peoples' works and claim them as their own, m'kay?

Anyway, v0.99:

SR4 Excel Character Creator Spreadsheet v0.99

Added:

* Added all the gear, guns, ammo and weapon accessories
* Software for Hackers
* Some small fixes

Missing:

* Rest of the grimoire
* Technomancer stuff
* Layout of pages 2 and 3

Wizdoc

+Quote Post
Turjon Apocritus
post Nov 13 2005, 06:06 PM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 7,914

I really like the spreadsheet btw it will help out alot in my campaign. Is it possible to add a #amount for the gear section so that you dont' have to pic stuff each time like extra clips or slap patches.

+Quote Post
Lurker37
post Nov 14 2005, 12:50 PM
Post #18

Target

Member No.: 7,959

Great spreadsheet - one thing I noticed that you might want to fix if you can:

The '# of Spell Slots left' formula in A220 doesn't recognise the Sorcery skill group if you select it instead of taking the spellcasting skill.

It's a pretty minor thing really, but I thought you'd rather be told now than later. ;)

+Quote Post
Wizdoc
post Nov 14 2005, 10:15 PM
Post #19

Target

QUOTE (Turjon Apocritus)
I really like the spreadsheet btw it will help out alot in my campaign. Is it possible to add a #amount for the gear section so that you dont' have to pic stuff each time like extra clips or slap patches.

Some of the items have multiple variations (1x, 5x, 10x). Just pick the amount you want. The price is automatically multiplied. But there is no other way of buying multiple items - other than picking the same item many times, of course. Other than for several unique cases (clips, slap patches etc.), it isn't useful to buy multiple "copies" of item, so it was too much hassle than it was worth to implement bulk buying.

I'm sure empty clips are not in the list anyway. This is an oversight for my part, as I don't charge my players for empty clips, but just tell them to buy ammo in multiples of mag capacities of their guns and be done with it.

Wizdoc

+Quote Post
Wizdoc
post Nov 14 2005, 10:17 PM
Post #20

Target

QUOTE (Lurker37 @ Nov 14 2005, 07:50 AM)
Great spreadsheet - one thing I noticed that you might want to fix if you can:

The '# of Spell Slots left' formula in A220  doesn't recognise the Sorcery skill group if you select it instead of taking the spellcasting skill.

It's a pretty minor thing really, but I thought you'd rather be told now than later.  ;)

That is definitely a bug (or a missing feature, at least). The spell slot counter checks only the Spellcasting skill rank. I completely forgot the Sorcery skill group.

Wizdoc

+Quote Post
dv8srunner
post Nov 15 2005, 05:22 PM
Post #21

Target

Member No.: 7,967

I found some minor defects:
1. Cyberwear: Should be able to add more rows for additional Cyberwear.
2. Equipment: Internal Smartgun option isn't available (2x cost, etc.).

+Quote Post
lumikant
post Nov 17 2005, 02:58 AM
Post #22

Target

Member No.: 7,953

I'd just like to let everyone know that the spreadsheet works fine in OpenOffice (openoffice.org) for those of us who prefer not to use microsoft office due to price, dislike of microsoft, or running an OS that doesnt support it.

+Quote Post
lumikant
post Nov 17 2005, 02:59 AM
Post #23

Target

Member No.: 7,953

Also, for armor, there should be an armor customization just like theres weapon attachments for firearms.

+Quote Post
ElFenrir
post Nov 17 2005, 08:04 PM
Post #24

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,337

I like it. Quick and easy to use. A couple things I noticed(minor, hate to seem nitpicky, hope you don't mind)

Improved Ability, Social missing from adept power list
A bit of a confusion on final sheet when the knowledges were added up(it left a couple of my skills blank and changed one of the values)
Vehicles. Tho that might take awhile.

Looks hella good tho, Im really digging it. It doesn't look to hard to add the other couple values in that's missing(like with the adept power and grimoire.)

Thanx! :D

+Quote Post
Dranem
post Nov 17 2005, 11:39 PM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 7,975

Dude, where are the rides!?

My Rigger/Hacker needs toys to play with, there's no vehicles or drones in your lists.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 07:03 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.