Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR4 Excel Character Creator Spreadsheet
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Community Projects
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Wizdoc
UPDATE: v0.991 posted. List of updates & download link in the appropriate post downthread.

I've been working on a SR4 Excel Character Creation Spreadsheet ever since the PDF came out. The current version (v0.9.) is in such a state I can post it for everyone to test out. While it's definitely not the final version, it is fully functional. You can create a fully playable character with the current version, though, including picking cyber & bioware that are automatically calculated into the stats when applicable (e.g. Dermal Plating or Wired Reflexes).

What is currently missing:

* Most of the weapons & gear
* Most of the hermetic magic spells
* All Adept powers and shaman & Hacker stuff
* Most of the Magic/Hacker oriented second page (for displaying programs, spells, dice pools etc.)

There also might be some bugs and strange results I haven't thought about. The layout (especially in the printable pages) are also not in their final form. They may not print out as they should.

NOTE: The spreadsheet does contain macros. They're only used for the (currently non-existent) "Clear Character" button, so feel free to disable the macros if you're paranoid.

What I'm looking for are your comments. What do you think? What should be improved? What is confusing in the sheet?

Thanks

Wizdoc

IMPORTANT NOTE: I am no longer developing this particular character sheet. Other people have graciously continued my work (see updates and discussion downthread), but I still continue to receive e-mails asking questions about this. This sheet has changed (and improved) so much since I worked on it, I can't really help anyone asking particulars how stuff in it works anymore, as I have pretty much lost track of how everything goes together myself. Sorry.

So - I can't respond to any queries or questions about the character sheet anymore!

Thanks for understanding, and keep up the great work you folks have done to it.
Wizdoc
I should also note that this spreadsheet is a separate project from the other Excel workbook (the Autarkis sheet, it was called?). Just to clear up any possible confusion.

Wizdoc
coolgrafix
WizDoc, it seems you're new around here, at least to posting. Welcome to the forums. =)

I'm working on an SR4 Excel character generator myself, based on my SR3 version. I'm sure we can benefit from a little collaboration, sharing table information if nothing else. You've saved me a little typing already it seems. This evening I'll send a link to my own unfinished project in case you have any interest.
KeyMasterOfGozer
Hi, love the work WizDoc.

I really like Blakkie's as well, but I like how in yours you have the skills all listed out easy to view to build and then have the condensed Char sheet for printing separate.

If I may comment, Nikoli has an advanced Commlink builder also in excel. Perhaps you and he could strike a bargain where you could replace your 1 line commlink/os choice with his builder, maybe just a cut and paste situation. That would be extra cool.

Here is Nikoli's article:
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=9984

I noticed you only had some of the gear, I will put gear in your format and send it to you if you PM me as to how to do that. I can get some blocks done for you if it will help.
KeyMasterOfGozer
You were looking for comment on possible imporvements.

It would be nice to be able to see the Remaining Money down in the Gear pick section somewhere. This is only a minor complain, because you can scroll up to see it, but it would be nice to have it visible while you are spending.
Wizdoc
Thanks for the comments.

Re: Commlinks

I am going to include commlink customizing into the sheet. There's also going to be possible to buy more hacker oriented stuff like specific programs and the like.

As far as printing goes, my goal is to have all the basic info in Page 1. Stats, skills, equipment, augmentations and such. So if you're creating a "regular" character, you only need to print out the first page. Page 2 will be for Magic-oriented characters with spell lists, related dice pools, spirits, foci etc. Page 3 will be for Hackers/Technomancers with hardware, software lists, their dice pools etc.

My intention is to have as complete printable sheet as possible but with the need of only needing to print out the pages that are relevant to your character. That's why the Commlink & OS are also viewable in Page 1, everyone pretty much has a Commlink.

Re: Seeing how much resources are left.

Yeah, functionality is something I'm aiming for. Not only it'd be nice to see the money left for purchasing gear, but it'd be nice to have the remaining BPs at sight as well. I'm looking into several options on how to achieve this.

BTW, no need to send me the gear lists. They're already done, as are the Adept powers. Only thing that's left are the rest of the grimoire and all the Hacker/Technomancer stuff. And some small tweaks like including bonuses from the races (e.g. Troll's armor & extra reach).

Wizdoc
coolgrafix
Well, this is embarassingly incomplete, but I'll post it anyway so you can get an idea of the approach (i.e. Step by Step creation app versus sheet-based). In short, expect very little to actually work. Campaign parameters, race, unaugmented attributes should work, and the qualities will work though no mods will show up. There are still many holdovers from SR3, and since I've removed the priority system screen even that old stuff won't work. The end result would be a macro that builds the character sheet (yet to be built) in one tab.

Link here.
coolgrafix
I should also mention that the final version will have buttons for navigation, instead of relying on the tabs at the bottom.
Nikoli
Feel free to incorporate my commlink generator into your sheet. you can find a link on this forum.
Wizdoc
Here's v0.95, the next-to-final version.

You can get it here:

SR4 Excel Character Creator Spreadsheet v0.95

Things added:

* Adept powers.
* Spirits & Foci.
* Commlink customization.
* 99% of the gear (things left out are some variable cost items like clothing & sims).
* A floating display of BPs & Resources remaining (need to have macros enabled).
* A lot of small changes and additions. For example, Troll armor & reach, added Ork & Dwarf metatypes (I wonder how I forgot those nyahnyah.gif) etc.
* Tweaked layout, both the creator and the print sheet.

What's still missing:

* Rest of the grimoire (help in typing them is greatly appreciated - the format is pretty easy to follow).
* Rest of the weapons, weapon accessories and munitions
* All the Hacker/Technomancer specific items like software.
* Page 2 & 3 layouts are still incomplete.
* Some of the qualities are not yet calculated in or listed (e.g. Exceptional Attribute or abilities from Mentor Spirits).
* Many of the metatype specific abilities (e.g. low-light vision) are not yet listed.
* Probably dozens of little things I may have missed.

Enjoy. And keep those comments coming.

Wizdoc
Wizdoc
Thanks for the Commlink generator, Nikoli. I went over it, but due to how my sheet is structured, I ended having to build the actual implementation of the thing from the ground up. No big deal as it's only one small table anyway.

Good looking sheet, coolgrafix. Our approaches are indeed a bit differet. Yours is very functional, and to be used as an online companion that's open during play. Mine is more geared towards offline users - create a character, print it out and play, with no need to have a computer available during play. Both approaches have obvious pros and cons, so I think both version can co-exist rather peacefully. smile.gif

Wizdoc
coolgrafix
Both aim to have a printable character dosier/sheet as the final product, so they are not completely dissimilar. Mine is designed to carry through the life of the character, though, as you mention.

The overlap comes in the reference tables, naturally. It's quite a boon finding someone who's got different tables keyed in already. I'll make sure and give you credit on the credit tab when it's done. =)
tirsales
Boy ... I've done a chargen-spreadsheet myself ... But compared to those published in this forun :'-(
Weeeelll .. whatever wink.gif
calypso
Essence calculations aren't taking Sensitive System drawback into account.

Awesome job, btw biggrin.gif It would be nice if there wasn't a password to remove protection, however. Then I could just make the change myself. But, I understand wanting to keep control of it.
Wizdoc
QUOTE (calypso @ Oct 1 2005, 01:58 AM)
Essence calculations aren't taking Sensitive System drawback into account.

Awesome job, btw  biggrin.gif  It would be nice if there wasn't a password to remove protection, however.  Then I could just make the change myself.  But, I understand wanting to keep control of it.

I'll include the effects Sensitive System and other qualities into the next version.

Re: the password

I'm not really protective of my work here. Feel free to use any element or table or formula or whatever part of the sheet you want in your own project. I put the password in there in order to prevent multiple versions of the same sheet floating around when everyone is making their own modifications.

But keep those comments coming. If there's a rule or a character option in the corebook, I'll try my best to include it in the sheet.

I already noted several bigger omissions or errors that will be corrected in the next version (along with the list above):

* The effects of qualities. IIRC, only the Magic-related qualities (Magician, Adept, Mystic Adept, Technomancer) have any effect.
* Armor encumbrance. The rule was buried in the combat section and I was looking in the general encumbrance section with the rest of the gear so I missed that.
* Drain Value of spells is currently F/2 rounded up while it's supposed to be rounded down.

Wizdoc
Wizdoc
Version 0.99

Okay, so I lied above. This isn't the final version. Things in real-life have intervened, so I can't really put as much time and effort into this spreadsheet as I should or would like to.

But, I have received requests for updates, so this version 0.99 does not have any password protection. Therefore, if you want to fill in the missing bits (mainly the rest of the grimoire), feel free to do so.

However, if you are going to post a more up-to-date version somewhere, please keep my name and e-mail address in the sheet (in addition your own, of course). Just so credit goes where credit is due. It's not cool to steal other peoples' works and claim them as their own, m'kay?

Anyway, v0.99:

SR4 Excel Character Creator Spreadsheet v0.99

Added:

* Added all the gear, guns, ammo and weapon accessories
* Software for Hackers
* Some small fixes

Missing:

* Rest of the grimoire
* Technomancer stuff
* Layout of pages 2 and 3

Wizdoc
Turjon Apocritus
I really like the spreadsheet btw it will help out alot in my campaign. Is it possible to add a #amount for the gear section so that you dont' have to pic stuff each time like extra clips or slap patches.

Lurker37
Great spreadsheet - one thing I noticed that you might want to fix if you can:

The '# of Spell Slots left' formula in A220 doesn't recognise the Sorcery skill group if you select it instead of taking the spellcasting skill.

It's a pretty minor thing really, but I thought you'd rather be told now than later. wink.gif
Wizdoc
QUOTE (Turjon Apocritus)
I really like the spreadsheet btw it will help out alot in my campaign. Is it possible to add a #amount for the gear section so that you dont' have to pic stuff each time like extra clips or slap patches.

Some of the items have multiple variations (1x, 5x, 10x). Just pick the amount you want. The price is automatically multiplied. But there is no other way of buying multiple items - other than picking the same item many times, of course. Other than for several unique cases (clips, slap patches etc.), it isn't useful to buy multiple "copies" of item, so it was too much hassle than it was worth to implement bulk buying.

I'm sure empty clips are not in the list anyway. This is an oversight for my part, as I don't charge my players for empty clips, but just tell them to buy ammo in multiples of mag capacities of their guns and be done with it.

Wizdoc
Wizdoc
QUOTE (Lurker37 @ Nov 14 2005, 07:50 AM)
Great spreadsheet - one thing I noticed that you might want to fix if you can:

The '# of Spell Slots left' formula in A220  doesn't recognise the Sorcery skill group if you select it instead of taking the spellcasting skill.

It's a pretty minor thing really, but I thought you'd rather be told now than later.  wink.gif

That is definitely a bug (or a missing feature, at least). The spell slot counter checks only the Spellcasting skill rank. I completely forgot the Sorcery skill group.

Wizdoc
dv8srunner
I found some minor defects:
1. Cyberwear: Should be able to add more rows for additional Cyberwear.
2. Equipment: Internal Smartgun option isn't available (2x cost, etc.).
lumikant
I'd just like to let everyone know that the spreadsheet works fine in OpenOffice (openoffice.org) for those of us who prefer not to use microsoft office due to price, dislike of microsoft, or running an OS that doesnt support it.
lumikant
Also, for armor, there should be an armor customization just like theres weapon attachments for firearms.
ElFenrir
I like it. Quick and easy to use. A couple things I noticed(minor, hate to seem nitpicky, hope you don't mind)

Improved Ability, Social missing from adept power list
A bit of a confusion on final sheet when the knowledges were added up(it left a couple of my skills blank and changed one of the values)
Vehicles. Tho that might take awhile.

Looks hella good tho, Im really digging it. It doesn't look to hard to add the other couple values in that's missing(like with the adept power and grimoire.)

Thanx! biggrin.gif
Dranem
Dude, where are the rides!?

My Rigger/Hacker needs toys to play with, there's no vehicles or drones in your lists.
Wizdoc
Version 0.991

A quick update. I haven't had time to work on the sheet myself (your requests for rigger drones, armor customizations, vehicles and other additions have been noted and are very vaild), so sorry about that. In the meantime, a kind soul has taken the time and completed the grimoire. All the spells are now included. Thanks Christian.

I did fix that spell slot bug noted a couple of posts back, though.

SR4 Excel Character Creator Spreadsheet v0.991

Enjoy, and keep the comments coming. I am hoping to complete this damn thing some time in the near (or far) future.

Wizdoc
AJCarrington
Looks great - thanks for all involved in putting this together!!

AJC
Muerto8
QUOTE (lumikant)
I'd just like to let everyone know that the spreadsheet works fine in OpenOffice (openoffice.org) for those of us who prefer not to use microsoft office due to price, dislike of microsoft, or running an OS that doesnt support it.

Not quite. Having some significant problem with the selection lists in Open Office 2.1. Only real way to overcome it is to either type it in verbatim to how it lists on the table, or to copy the text form the table out to another prog such as notepad and then back into the cell it is needed. If copied over directly it over-rides the Formatting of the cell. Not a huge deal I know, but just as vexing as the other two options. Guess it's just the price we pay for not wanting to conform to the Microsoft (Expensive- among other things, Bastards) regime.
capt20
Well, its working fine on OpenOffice 2.0. I don't have any problems here, and the pull down menu's work fine. The only complaints I have so far is that there arn't enough slots for cyberware (uber eyeware takes up a lot of them), and possibly for Skill Groups if I had one more. smile.gif Oh, and theres no specialization box for know skills. That might be useful too. Other then that, its very well done. smile.gif

EDIT: Oh, not enough space for guns or gear and stuff like that either. I have more then 5 guns. I guess I might be more the exception then the rule. smile.gif
MK Ultra
QUOTE (capt20)
The only complaints I have so far is that there arn't enough slots for cyberware (uber eyeware takes up a lot of them), and possibly for Skill Groups if I had one more. smile.gif Oh, and theres no specialization box for know skills. That might be useful too. Other then that, its very well done. smile.gif

EDIT: Oh, not enough space for guns or gear and stuff like that either. I have more then 5 guns. I guess I might be more the exception then the rule. smile.gif

First of all, thanks, this tool is tealy usefull! I´d have the same problems, thou. Also ther were many other things, tat did not work, but I only tried it out once and the macro did not work (because of security settings), so there might be no problem, if I adjust the settings.
One thing I noticed in particular, was, that it counted 10 BP more each for the Attributes as oposed to the older version with the green layout, is that right?
Wizdoc
QUOTE (MK Ultra)
One thing I noticed in particular, was, that it counted 10 BP more each for the Attributes as oposed to the older version with the green layout, is that right?

I'm not sure what you mean by "green layout". The layout of the creation page has always been in those colors (i.e. orange for input cells). Maybe you're thinking about a sheet made by someone else? In my sheet, the cost of Attributes has always been the same (and I think it works as it should be).

Re: Amount of "slots".

Yeah, maybe more slots for various gear (especially cyberware) is in order. The problem is that with a lot of slots, the font will get awfully small when you try to squeeze them all in to display everything in one page. So the current slot size was chosen as a compromise between amount of gear and the readability of the text.

But there might be a way to circumvent that. I'll look into dynamic formatting. That is, you'll see a bigger font when there's less stuff and a smaller font when there's more. You cybered up street samurais will need a magnifying glass then, though. wink.gif

Re: Compatibility

The sheet is done in Excel 2000. I can't test compatibility with other software (e.g. Open Office) right now. Maybe if and when the version hits 1.0.

Macros are only used for the little floating BP/Cash display. Disabling them should not affect anything else such as the pulldown menus.

Wizdoc
BishopMcQ
Currently certain choices which should be mutually exclusive are not. Example Technomancer & Magician can both be chosen.

Also, if I select Technomancer as a positive quality, I still have to select the "Yes I am a hacker/Technomancer" to receive the bonus points for Simsense Vertigo etc.

I think it will be a great tool to help some of my math-challenged players and as a quick check for me if a character seems a little TOO well-rounded
MK Ultra
Oh, sorry your right, I was refering to another excel sheet!

Anyway, some things did not work wan I tested it, i.e. the Attribute-cost-slot would reference to the Modified attribute slot instead of the unmodyfied. This way, it somehow counted zero cost for all the attributes. I may have mixed something up, but I´ll test the sheet when I´ve got some time, probably tomorow.

It´s a cool tool anyway, so thanx for all the work, your great!
ruvidan

Dude, this rawks, give me your email addy and let me paypal you a $5 donation.
Mr.Platinum
i'll have to give this a try.
Darkness
A very solid work. The best one so far, IMHO.
MK Ultra
Ok, I finaly had the time, to try this out and it worked very good! Thanks again nuyen.gif nuyen.gif nuyen.gif

Ther is only one bug, I saw, which is really no big problem! The cells C93 to C99 have no formulae so one has to draw them down from C91, so the costs for Professional and Interest Skills are properly correctly calculated.

Otherwise, it is great (except for to little space for group skills, implants or gear for some characters).

Edit: Oh and for Qualities, too. I just can´t get enough of anything embarrassed.gif
KeyMasterOfGozer
First off, Great job with this project and thanks a million!

I made a few changes on my copy of 0.991 just to help myself out. I thought someone here might be interested in the changes as well, and maybe Wizdoc might find some of this usfull to put in a future release.

Note: I'm just making a few minor changes to WizDoc's great work, I don't claim any credit for this cool spreadsheet.

1) I was adding ActiveSofts into my Gear and noticed that I really could use a comments field for each gear item to distinguish between the many Activesofts.

I noticed a blank unused column "E" next to the gear, so I used that to write my comment to keep track of which Skill each of my softs were., then I decided I needed this on the char sheet as well, so I changed the formula in Tables.AC888 to:
CODE
=IF(A888=0;"";CONCATENATE(A888;IF($Sheet1.E180=0;"";CONCATENATE(" - ";$Sheet1.E180));CHAR(10)))

and pulled that down to Tables.AC908. Now My Gear list shows
"Activesoft(rating 4) - Pistols"

2) I found myself having to lookup which Attribute was linked each skill chosen. ( I am still new to v4, so I don't have all the stuff memorized.) I thought it would be nice to have it listed for reference on the char sheet, so...

I noticed on Tables.A1156 there is a table for gathering the skills, and handily, there is a blank unsed column B, so I filled in the blank column with the Linked Attribute from Tables.B1156 to Tables.B1238 (I left the boxes by the Groups blank). Then I changed the formula on Tables.AA1156 to:
CODE
=IF(ISERROR(C1156)=TRUE();"";CONCATENATE(C1156;IF(B1156="";"";CONCATENATE("(";B1156;")"));CHAR(10)))

I, of course, dragged the formula down to Tables.AA1238. Now on the character sheet the skill is listed as "Perception(Intuition)".

I have a crappy Character you can see and pull the Linked Attribute list from if you'd like to look at it:

http://www.oldforest.net/srchars/SkillSoft.xls

I am also going to look into listing the Skills in a Skill Group below it for my own reference, maybe look something like:
Atheletics Skill Group
+ Climbing (Strength)
+ Gymnastics (Agility)
+ Running (Strength)
+ Swimming (Strength)

Anyway, keep up the good work!
Crystalmonkey
With the taser, the AP and such get an error because the slot is blank.

Good sheet.
Jamz
I noticed there is no new activity with this spreadsheet for a few months? Has anyone else (including the OP) made any major changes?

Reason being, I have and can post it if the OP doesn't mind? I looked through all the programs and spreadsheets and found this one to be the best so kudos to Wiz! GREAT work btw!

Anyways, since we're starting a SR4 campaign soon, I had to convert my SR3 character for the THIRD time now (yes, original SR1 character).

What I did was create (among other things) an "Advancement" sheet so you can now track Karma spent as well. I'm still working on consolidating the info on the character output sheet but should have that done soon. I'm also trying to "expand" the selections where possible.

My question, if you had more slots available to add during "Advancement", is there enough slots everywhere during the "Build" process or does everything need to be doubled?

-Jamz
Jrayjoker
I have been playing with your sheet and I can say that I like it very much and find it quite useful.

Two suggestions:

1. Add a "None" line to each of the drop down boxes' arguments that fills in the selected cell with a blank line so that if I want to remove a piece of gear/spell/ability/skill group/etc. I don't have to delete the cell or space bar it. I ran into a couple glitches where either deleting or spacing caused me some math errors.

2. Make sure that the skill group (sorcery, in my experience) ranks add to the total spell pools calculated on the magic worksheet. I could get the correct number when I had the spell casting skill alone, but not when I took the sorcery skill group by itself. I don't want to double up and then have to delete the cost in the skills tables.

Awesome, thanks for the efforts!
Jamz
1. Although probably easy to do, i may have to redo alot of functions because there is a lot of [if cell="" or isblank] logic and having "None in there would break that. BUT, i'll check to see if I can just add a Blank option that you can select. So far, in my experience, deleteing those types of cells hasn't caused a problem but still a good request.

2. I'll double check that, it should already work, at least it was working on my version (I found the code he was using and had modified for other reasons). Just to clarify, you are talking about the "number of spells you can take during character creation" correct? Which should be = to Spellcasting or Ritual Spellcasting?

-Jamz
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (Jamz @ May 26 2006, 11:48 AM)
2. I'll double check that, it should already work, at least it was working on my version (I found the code he was using and had modified for other reasons). Just to clarify, you are talking about the "number of spells you can take during character creation" correct? Which should be = to Spellcasting or Ritual Spellcasting?

-Jamz

#1, you are correct, using the spacebar puts a character in the cell and the functions go wonky if there is a non-numerical character, or a string it does not expect. Thanks.

#2, No.

When choosing sorcery and conjuring skill groups for mages, the skill groups' ranks (i.e., 1, 2, or 3, etc.) are not added into the dice pools on sheet 2 of the character sheet tabs.
Shadow
Anyone know what happened to Wiz? He hasn't posted in 6 months.
Jamz
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
#2, No.

When choosing sorcery and conjuring skill groups for mages, the skill groups' ranks (i.e., 1, 2, or 3, etc.) are not added into the dice pools on sheet 2 of the character sheet tabs.

Ahh, ok. well, that's kinda a mute point now since I completly redid the Character Sheets! So all references to the "Build" sheet have been removed and I only refer to the "Advancement" sheet so that should be fixed...

I still have a couple of macro's to write to clear the sheets and to "finalize" your build which will copy some of the stuff over to the Advancement sheet (mostly gear, etc).

I'm almost ready for some testers to, um, well test smile.gif

EDIT: PS. and nope, don't know where Wiz is, so I kinda took over making updates to the spreadsheet. Hopefully he doesn't mind...
Jrayjoker
Cool, and thanks. I am happy to be a tester. I need to get a stable of NPCs anyway. wink.gif
sfogarty
I have a very similar modification, with a 'tracking' page noting income and karma earned, and an imporvement page for karma and money expenses after chargen. Perhaps we could coordinate something? I'll send you mine if you send me yours... I'm notable lacking in macro-writing skills.
Jamz
No problem. shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll pass it on.

Hopefully I'll have a version to publicly post in the next week or so (would have been earlier but the GM keeps postponing the game so I've had "longer" to work on it lol)

-Jamz
Jrayjoker
I emailed you a couple little bugs. Also, the bonded power focus/spellcasting focus does not add to the dice pool on the character pages.

Nice so far, I haven't finalized anyone yet.

J
Jamz
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
I emailed you a couple little bugs. Also, the bonded power focus/spellcasting focus does not add to the dice pool on the character pages.

Nice so far, I haven't finalized anyone yet.

J

Are you sure the email went to the right place? Didn't get any emails from ya.

As far as the Foci go, do you "really" want them added? Meaning, you may not be using the foci all the time, since you can only have so many on and usually don't walk around with them on...

I can see Power Foci, maybe I'll add a yes/no to add it and show it as Magic: 6 (9) or some such?

But spellcasting foci? Spellcasting foci are limited, ie Combat Spells or Health Spells. So if You had one focus, and I added it on the sheet, it would be wrong for any other spell you cast... And what if you had Combat Spellcasting focus rating 3, and an Health Spellcasting focus rating 5?

I do have a lot of room on the magic sheet, I was just going to show the foci, but maybe I can show the foci you have and then the related skill boosts, something like:

Type/rating/skill
Spellcasting (Combat) Focus 4 Spellcasting 6(10)

or some such...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012