IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cyrcuit, the Hermetic Mage/Hacker, Critique please?
calypso
post Sep 28 2005, 07:52 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,569

Quick background: Not all the details are there, but he's sort of a mish-mash of mythological concepts. He's a sort of Loki character, big into change. He was originally a hermetic mage, but was drawn to the Matrix because he felt like there was this huge.... thing... he was missing. So he had a datajack installed and never looked back.

EDIT: Forgot, built with 450 BP.

Alias: Cyrcuit (previously was Ravyn, as a mage)

Race: Ork (20 BP)

Attributes (210 BP):
[ Spoiler ]

Active Skills (170 BP):
[ Spoiler ]

Knowledges (0 BP):
[ Spoiler ]

Qualities (+10 BP):
[ Spoiler ]

Spells (30 BP):
[ Spoiler ]

Cyberware:
[ Spoiler ]

Gear (180,000N, 36BP):
[ Spoiler ]

Contacts (11 BP):
[ Spoiler ]
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Wasabi
post Sep 28 2005, 08:12 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 6,651

"Package deal from his contact"?

+Quote Post
calypso
post Sep 28 2005, 08:16 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

QUOTE (Wasabi)
"Package deal from his contact"?

That's just flavor. I paid the full price for all of them.

+Quote Post
Egon
post Sep 28 2005, 08:23 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,860

What made you chose a decker, what do we call them now, over a technomancer? Just wondering, I haven't dig very deep in to the new matrix rules yet.

+Quote Post
calypso
post Sep 28 2005, 08:24 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

QUOTE (Egon)
What made you chose a decker, what do we call them now, over a technomancer? Just wondering, I haven't dig very deep in to the new matrix rules yet.

You can't be a technomancer/magician :( Resonance and Magic are mutually exclusive. Even if it was allowed, however, I just think this idea is cooler :D

+Quote Post
Egon
post Sep 28 2005, 08:28 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Really I hadnt read that. I wonder why? Its not like the areas over lap.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Sep 28 2005, 08:30 PM
Post #7

Chicago Survivor

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,033

Special attributes.
Given how powerful a mage and techno can become in their respective fields, allowing both in the same package is a Bad Thing™.

+Quote Post
Darksong
post Sep 28 2005, 08:34 PM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 390

plus, they are afriad that a karma sink that huge would actually suck the karma right off of the other player characters, and that could adversely affect game balance.

+Quote Post
Egon
post Sep 28 2005, 08:35 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

QUOTE (Nikoli)
Special attributes.
Given how powerful a mage and techno can become in their respective fields, allowing both in the same package is a Bad Thing™.

Well the rules let you be a mage/social adept/street sam

+Quote Post
calypso
post Sep 28 2005, 08:36 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

QUOTE (Darksong)
plus, they are afriad that a karma sink that huge would actually suck the karma right off of the other player characters, and that could adversely affect game balance.

Hehe, that's the truth!

+Quote Post
calypso
post Sep 28 2005, 08:37 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

QUOTE (Egon)
QUOTE (Nikoli @ Sep 28 2005, 03:30 PM)
Special attributes.

Well the rules let you be a mage/social adept/street sam

And you can be terrible at all 3. That would require that you be a heavily cybered mystic adept.

Calypso

+Quote Post
Egon
post Sep 28 2005, 08:46 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

I never said their wasn't draw backs I just said it was cannon. You would have to split your karma two ways to be a mage/technomancer. I am not agenst mult-classing when you have to pay for it :)

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Sep 28 2005, 08:49 PM
Post #13

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

Edge 1?????!?!?!!!1

No way i'd allow that, he'd be dead with an Edge that weak. I mean that's beyond underdeveloped. Damn min/maxers.

;)

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Sep 28 2005, 08:49 PM
Post #14

Chicago Survivor

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,033

ROFL

+Quote Post
calypso
post Sep 28 2005, 09:03 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

QUOTE (blakkie)
Edge 1?????!?!?!!!1

No way i'd allow that, he'd be dead with an Edge that weak. I mean that's beyond underdeveloped. Damn min/maxers.

;)

:rotfl: Yeah yeah yeah. I know that's weak for a metahuman. Whatever a weak edge means.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Sep 28 2005, 09:07 PM
Post #16

Dragon

QUOTE (calypso)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Sep 28 2005, 03:49 PM)
Edge 1?????!?!?!!!1

No way i'd allow that, he'd be dead with an Edge that weak. I mean that's beyond underdeveloped.  Damn min/maxers.

;)

:rotfl: Yeah yeah yeah. I know that's weak for a metahuman. Whatever a weak edge means.

I'm not sure exactly what it means either. Maybe they don't let you into hip clubs because you aren't 'edgie' enough? But i do know it's a minimum, and that Body(6) is a maximum. :P ;)

+Quote Post
calypso
post Sep 28 2005, 09:09 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

QUOTE (blakkie @ Sep 28 2005, 04:07 PM)
I'm not sure exactly what it means either. Maybe they don't let you into hip clubs because you aren't 'edgie' enough?  But i do know it's a minimum, and that Body(6) is a maximum. :P ;)

On the contrary, the ork body max is 9. He has average body for an ork.

You're probably right about the clubs though. :(

+Quote Post
calypso
post Sep 28 2005, 09:47 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Any other comments? Nobody (except blakkie) has anything negative to say about him?

+Quote Post
Egon
post Sep 28 2005, 10:14 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

QUOTE (calypso)
Any other comments? Nobody (except blakkie) has anything negative to say about him?

No he sounds like fun. Nice to see a mage that isn't computer illiterate. I get tried of them storing the librarys in wherehouse space. :)

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Sep 28 2005, 10:24 PM
Post #20

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,516

QUOTE (blakkie)
Edge 1?????!?!?!!!1

;)

Now blakkie, didn't you see that he picked the 'Bad Luck' negative quality? That SURELY justifies an Edge of 1 (or is that min-maxing to make the least of a bad quality...I forget)

:rotfl:

good one, man

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Sep 28 2005, 10:27 PM
Post #21

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,516

QUOTE (calypso)

Yes, I have something negative - shouldn't contacts be 13 BPs, or is there something I missed in the rules?

Otherwise I really like the character - especially the part of a 'Loki-esqe' mage/hacker with one of Odin's ravens as his Mentor :grinbig: I loved that part! (got me thinking of mr. Gaiman's novel American Gods...)

Cool concept; balanced stats.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Sep 28 2005, 10:34 PM
Post #22

Dragon

QUOTE (calypso)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Sep 28 2005, 04:07 PM)
I'm not sure exactly what it means either. Maybe they don't let you into hip clubs because you aren't 'edgie' enough?  But i do know it's a minimum, and that Body(6) is a maximum. :P ;)

On the contrary, the ork body max is 9. He has average body for an ork.

You're probably right about the clubs though. :(

Missed that you went with the munchkin Orc play. ;)

Seriously though, Orc is a good choice for this type of character inspite of some of the drawbacks (mostly the limited Int). But i'm not sure putting those 14BP or so into Specializations is the best spent. You can aquire those for only 2 Karma each after character creation, which the best BP to Karma. It does depend somewhat on how your GM handles character improvement (see Learning Time, page 263), how many karma you gain between adventures, and what you are looking to improve first. If you want to save up for that first Initiation and Magic point anyway (31 karma i think?) you'll have time to learn a handful of Specializations even at the slowest suggested rate.

+Quote Post
calypso
post Sep 28 2005, 11:23 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

QUOTE (snowRaven)
QUOTE (calypso @ Sep 28 2005, 11:47 PM)
Any other comments?  Nobody (except blakkie) has anything negative to say about him?

Yes, I have something negative - shouldn't contacts be 13 BPs, or is there something I missed in the rules?

Otherwise I really like the character - especially the part of a 'Loki-esqe' mage/hacker with one of Odin's ravens as his Mentor :grinbig: I loved that part! (got me thinking of mr. Gaiman's novel American Gods...)

Cool concept; balanced stats.

Yeah, sorry, it's 13BP on contacts. It adds up right, I just put the wrong number. (If you add up the numbers I listed you get 447 BP).

Yeah, I too love American Gods. The character has a mentor spirit named Memory, and a Virtual Pet/agent program named Thought :D Kinda silly, but I liked it.

+Quote Post
calypso
post Sep 28 2005, 11:25 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

QUOTE (blakkie)
Missed that you went with the munchkin Orc play. ;)

Seriously though, Orc is a good choice for this type of character inspite of some of the drawbacks (mostly the limited Int). But i'm not sure putting those 14BP or so into Specializations is the best spent. You can aquire those for only 2 Karma each after character creation, which the best BP to Karma. It does depend somewhat on how your GM handles character improvement (see Learning Time, page 263), how many karma you gain between adventures, and what you are looking to improve first. If you want to save up for that first Initiation and Magic point anyway (31 karma i think?) you'll have time to learn a handful of Specializations even at the slowest suggested rate.

Hmm.... didn't know specializations were so cheap during play. Namely I was using them to try to make up for not enough points to get skills to where I want them.

If I did cut back on specializations, where would the points be better spent?

+Quote Post
calypso
post Sep 28 2005, 11:30 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

QUOTE (snowRaven)
Now blakkie, didn't you see that he picked the 'Bad Luck' negative quality? That SURELY justifies an Edge of 1 (or is that min-maxing to make the least of a bad quality...I forget)

:grinbig:

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:30 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.