Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cyrcuit, the Hermetic Mage/Hacker
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
calypso
Quick background: Not all the details are there, but he's sort of a mish-mash of mythological concepts. He's a sort of Loki character, big into change. He was originally a hermetic mage, but was drawn to the Matrix because he felt like there was this huge.... thing... he was missing. So he had a datajack installed and never looked back.

EDIT: Forgot, built with 450 BP.

Alias: Cyrcuit (previously was Ravyn, as a mage)

Race: Ork (20 BP)

Attributes (210 BP):
[ Spoiler ]

Active Skills (170 BP):
[ Spoiler ]

Knowledges (0 BP):
[ Spoiler ]

Qualities (+10 BP):
[ Spoiler ]

Spells (30 BP):
[ Spoiler ]

Cyberware:
[ Spoiler ]

Gear (180,000N, 36BP):
[ Spoiler ]

Contacts (11 BP):
[ Spoiler ]
Wasabi
"Package deal from his contact"?
calypso
QUOTE (Wasabi)
"Package deal from his contact"?

That's just flavor. I paid the full price for all of them.
Egon
What made you chose a decker, what do we call them now, over a technomancer? Just wondering, I haven't dig very deep in to the new matrix rules yet.
calypso
QUOTE (Egon)
What made you chose a decker, what do we call them now, over a technomancer? Just wondering, I haven't dig very deep in to the new matrix rules yet.

You can't be a technomancer/magician frown.gif Resonance and Magic are mutually exclusive. Even if it was allowed, however, I just think this idea is cooler biggrin.gif
Egon
Really I hadnt read that. I wonder why? Its not like the areas over lap.
Nikoli
Special attributes.
Given how powerful a mage and techno can become in their respective fields, allowing both in the same package is a Bad Thing™.
Darksong
plus, they are afriad that a karma sink that huge would actually suck the karma right off of the other player characters, and that could adversely affect game balance.
Egon
QUOTE (Nikoli)
Special attributes.
Given how powerful a mage and techno can become in their respective fields, allowing both in the same package is a Bad Thing™.

Well the rules let you be a mage/social adept/street sam
calypso
QUOTE (Darksong)
plus, they are afriad that a karma sink that huge would actually suck the karma right off of the other player characters, and that could adversely affect game balance.

Hehe, that's the truth!
calypso
QUOTE (Egon)
QUOTE (Nikoli @ Sep 28 2005, 03:30 PM)
Special attributes.

Well the rules let you be a mage/social adept/street sam

And you can be terrible at all 3. That would require that you be a heavily cybered mystic adept.

Calypso
Egon
I never said their wasn't draw backs I just said it was cannon. You would have to split your karma two ways to be a mage/technomancer. I am not agenst mult-classing when you have to pay for it smile.gif
blakkie
Edge 1?????!?!?!!!1

No way i'd allow that, he'd be dead with an Edge that weak. I mean that's beyond underdeveloped. Damn min/maxers.

wink.gif
Nikoli
ROFL
calypso
QUOTE (blakkie)
Edge 1?????!?!?!!!1

No way i'd allow that, he'd be dead with an Edge that weak. I mean that's beyond underdeveloped. Damn min/maxers.

wink.gif

rotfl.gif Yeah yeah yeah. I know that's weak for a metahuman. Whatever a weak edge means.
blakkie
QUOTE (calypso)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Sep 28 2005, 03:49 PM)
Edge 1?????!?!?!!!1

No way i'd allow that, he'd be dead with an Edge that weak. I mean that's beyond underdeveloped.  Damn min/maxers.

wink.gif

rotfl.gif Yeah yeah yeah. I know that's weak for a metahuman. Whatever a weak edge means.

I'm not sure exactly what it means either. Maybe they don't let you into hip clubs because you aren't 'edgie' enough? But i do know it's a minimum, and that Body(6) is a maximum. nyahnyah.gif wink.gif
calypso
QUOTE (blakkie @ Sep 28 2005, 04:07 PM)
I'm not sure exactly what it means either. Maybe they don't let you into hip clubs because you aren't 'edgie' enough?  But i do know it's a minimum, and that Body(6) is a maximum. nyahnyah.gif wink.gif

On the contrary, the ork body max is 9. He has average body for an ork.

You're probably right about the clubs though. frown.gif
calypso
Any other comments? Nobody (except blakkie) has anything negative to say about him?
Egon
QUOTE (calypso)
Any other comments? Nobody (except blakkie) has anything negative to say about him?

No he sounds like fun. Nice to see a mage that isn't computer illiterate. I get tried of them storing the librarys in wherehouse space. smile.gif
snowRaven
QUOTE (blakkie)
Edge 1?????!?!?!!!1

wink.gif

Now blakkie, didn't you see that he picked the 'Bad Luck' negative quality? That SURELY justifies an Edge of 1 (or is that min-maxing to make the least of a bad quality...I forget)

rotfl.gif

good one, man
snowRaven
QUOTE (calypso)

Yes, I have something negative - shouldn't contacts be 13 BPs, or is there something I missed in the rules?

Otherwise I really like the character - especially the part of a 'Loki-esqe' mage/hacker with one of Odin's ravens as his Mentor grinbig.gif I loved that part! (got me thinking of mr. Gaiman's novel American Gods...)

Cool concept; balanced stats.
blakkie
QUOTE (calypso)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Sep 28 2005, 04:07 PM)
I'm not sure exactly what it means either. Maybe they don't let you into hip clubs because you aren't 'edgie' enough?  But i do know it's a minimum, and that Body(6) is a maximum. nyahnyah.gif wink.gif

On the contrary, the ork body max is 9. He has average body for an ork.

You're probably right about the clubs though. frown.gif

Missed that you went with the munchkin Orc play. wink.gif

Seriously though, Orc is a good choice for this type of character inspite of some of the drawbacks (mostly the limited Int). But i'm not sure putting those 14BP or so into Specializations is the best spent. You can aquire those for only 2 Karma each after character creation, which the best BP to Karma. It does depend somewhat on how your GM handles character improvement (see Learning Time, page 263), how many karma you gain between adventures, and what you are looking to improve first. If you want to save up for that first Initiation and Magic point anyway (31 karma i think?) you'll have time to learn a handful of Specializations even at the slowest suggested rate.
calypso
QUOTE (snowRaven)
QUOTE (calypso @ Sep 28 2005, 11:47 PM)
Any other comments?  Nobody (except blakkie) has anything negative to say about him?

Yes, I have something negative - shouldn't contacts be 13 BPs, or is there something I missed in the rules?

Otherwise I really like the character - especially the part of a 'Loki-esqe' mage/hacker with one of Odin's ravens as his Mentor grinbig.gif I loved that part! (got me thinking of mr. Gaiman's novel American Gods...)

Yeah, sorry, it's 13BP on contacts. It adds up right, I just put the wrong number. (If you add up the numbers I listed you get 447 BP).

Yeah, I too love American Gods. The character has a mentor spirit named Memory, and a Virtual Pet/agent program named Thought biggrin.gif Kinda silly, but I liked it.
calypso
QUOTE (blakkie)
Missed that you went with the munchkin Orc play. wink.gif

Seriously though, Orc is a good choice for this type of character inspite of some of the drawbacks (mostly the limited Int). But i'm not sure putting those 14BP or so into Specializations is the best spent. You can aquire those for only 2 Karma each after character creation, which the best BP to Karma. It does depend somewhat on how your GM handles character improvement (see Learning Time, page 263), how many karma you gain between adventures, and what you are looking to improve first. If you want to save up for that first Initiation and Magic point anyway (31 karma i think?) you'll have time to learn a handful of Specializations even at the slowest suggested rate.

Hmm.... didn't know specializations were so cheap during play. Namely I was using them to try to make up for not enough points to get skills to where I want them.

If I did cut back on specializations, where would the points be better spent?
calypso
QUOTE (snowRaven)
Now blakkie, didn't you see that he picked the 'Bad Luck' negative quality? That SURELY justifies an Edge of 1 (or is that min-maxing to make the least of a bad quality...I forget)

grinbig.gif
blakkie
I'm not kidding when say i raise your freakin' Edge a point. That's your insurance policy against Critical Glitches. Depending on the refresh rate your GM uses you are likely going to end up hanging you butt out there on extended adventures.

EDIT: Even with the Bad Luck Quality i'd say that. wink.gif
calypso
Edge is gonna refresh each session I believe. Raising my Edge 1 is 10 poiiiints *whine* Fine. Have it your way. frown.gif

Calypso
blakkie
QUOTE (calypso @ Sep 28 2005, 05:46 PM)
Edge is gonna refresh each session I believe.  Raising my Edge 1 is 10 poiiiints *whine*  Fine.  Have it your way.  frown.gif

Calypso

Each session? Well that's not too bad. Then there are some other places you could drop it in. Have you considered the extra 4 BP to have Binding(2)? You'll thank your lucky stars for that spare spirit to tap when your GM finishes System Failure and decides that the remanents of Winternight wants to talk to you about your Mentor. wink.gif

Another possibility is another Focus. They are dirt cheap to bind during chargen, i believe only 1BP/Force. So if you can afford the Power Foci 2 that's an OK deal (2BP to bind, 10BP to purchase). Counterspelling(3) Focus is nice too (only 3BP to bind, 3BP to purchase) and the rest of the team will worship you from the first time a mage opponent tries to drop a Stunball on them. smile.gif

EDIT: Incidentally i predict that by the 3rd session you'll be experiencing serious Edge-envy if anyone else on your team has 5 or more in Edge. wink.gif
calypso
I had to leave Binding off because of character reasons. He considers it wrong to Bind spirits against their will.

I certainly wouldn't mind starting with a Power Focus.... I'll have to consider that.

And yes, I know I'll have Edge envy, but that's something I'll have to live with. Something had to give.

Calypso
blakkie
Even if you don't get a focus to help, you might want to bump up your Summoning a point or two. With only 6 dice once you get -2 wound penalities you are rolling a Glitch prone number of dice, and depending on how you GM handles Summoning Glitches that could get damn scary.
Pelaka
You need to add a "Hunted by Winternight survivors" disadd... opps, wrong game.

Pel
calypso
What is Winternight? I'm confused frown.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (calypso)
What is Winternight? I'm confused frown.gif

It is a collection of nutjobs. Apparently somewhat capable nutjobs, but nutjobs none-the-less. You'll find them listed towards the end of the History section in the SR4 BBB, as they were a main player in crashing the Matrix in 2065. The System Failure book that just came out in PDF to wrap up the end of SR3 fiction has more details on this, but the gist of it is that their top 2 pet peeves are Loki and the Matrix. smile.gif
calypso
lol, oh. Let's hope I never meet them biggrin.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (calypso)
lol, oh. Let's hope I never meet them biggrin.gif

Not to worry, they'll come to meet you.

P.S. Did i mention their nukes? You might want to invest in some SPF 10,000 sunblock. cool.gif
evil1i
Datajack x 2 .2E
Cerebral Booster 2 .4E
Sleep Regulator .15E
Total: .55E

Doesn't that add up to .75E rather than .55E?

Also not having SR4 rules available - still hasn't shipped!!!! - what advantage does the sleep regulator give (eg why would someone take it?) and why 2 datajacks? I thought datajacks were irrelevant in SR4 plus I thought magic users got negative effects from using the matrix and so would avail themselves of the squid before getting 1 datajack let alone 2.

I will give you kudos for not doing the usual in for a penny in for a pound munchkinesque routine of using up all of the 1.0E by taking a smartlink/hand rasors etc even if the character wouldn't use them.
Squinky
Well in SR4 you don't need to use essence for a smartlink, just get it external no with no penalty. I think the essence diff you are seeing is a result of the new essence rules in SR4, you round down the lowest amonut of essence loss between bio and cyber.

2 datajacks would be good your slotting chips (I think you can run anything but physical skills thru them now) and the sleep regulator allows you to stay awake longer....only need like 3 to 4 hours sleep.
calypso
QUOTE (evil1i)
Datajack x 2 .2E
Cerebral Booster 2 .4E
Sleep Regulator .15E
Total: .55E

Doesn't that add up to .75E rather than .55E?

Also not having SR4 rules available - still hasn't shipped!!!! - what advantage does the sleep regulator give (eg why would someone take it?) and why 2 datajacks? I thought datajacks were irrelevant in SR4 plus I thought magic users got negative effects from using the matrix and so would avail themselves of the squid before getting 1 datajack let alone 2.

I will give you kudos for not doing the usual in for a penny in for a pound munchkinesque routine of using up all of the 1.0E by taking a smartlink/hand rasors etc even if the character wouldn't use them.

You halve the essence loss from the lower of your bioware or cyberware essence loss.
So it's .55+.5*.2 = .65. So yeah, I made a mistake.

Sleep regulators make it so you only need 3 hours of sleep per night. Good for an overtaxed mage/wannabe hacker.

2 datajacks because 1 will always be used for his commlink. That leaves 1 free for other things.

Awakened people don't take negatives for using the matrix, they just lose magical ability if they have cyber/bioware installed. So, there are very few awakened hackers.

And lastly, thanks biggrin.gif

Calypso
blakkie
QUOTE (calypso @ Sep 28 2005, 09:10 PM)
Awakened people don't take negatives for using the matrix, they just lose magical ability if they have cyber/bioware installed.  So, there are very few awakened hackers.

I expect something very different to occur than you do then.

With SR4 trodes being the equal of datajacks there really is a lot less reason for hackers to get cut. I don't think the question is why 2 datajacks, it is more why any datajacks at all. You have no other Cyberware, so it cheats you of the one of few powerplay negative qualities, Sensitive System. That is one thing about the SR4 negative qualities, besides the very poorly designed Incompetent quality, they are generally less abusable than SR3 Flaws.

Cerebral Booster is really the only thing that a Hacker needs to get cut for, unless you want to be a "jump in" rigger where a Control Rig is nice. Coincidentally Cerebral Boosters are actually the one piece of 'ware that is helpful to a [hermetic] magician. But even with the extra Drain dice it gives hermetics, taking that, or any piece of 'ware forges the nature and destiny of the character to be hacker first, mage second. Trying to fight that chosen destiny later will only ultimately weaken the character....though she'll quite possibily still be fun to play.

The biggest barrier i see to a mage/hacker is skill set requirements. There is nearly no overlap there, the only big synergy is the spell Analyze Device and the Logic Attribute (for hermetics) for mechanic/electronics focused riggers/hackers.
calypso
... what are these "trodes" you speak of? I'll have to check them out right now. Do they allow hot VR mode?
NightRain
QUOTE (calypso)
... what are these "trodes" you speak of? I'll have to check them out right now. Do they allow hot VR mode?

They most certainly do. Check out page 318. You can get a trode net, or trode paint. Under previous editions of Shadowrun, using a trode rig stopped you from using hot sim, but SR4 makes no mention of such a limitation, and in fact doesn't even hint at it. You can run hot sim using a trode net just fine
calypso
Hmm... I mean, I could go without any ware, in that case. Mild addiction to Long Haul, possibly Psyche, and use a trode note.... that doesn't require any ware at all.

But then I lose the flavor of a cybered mage frown.gif

Or I could just get rid of the data jacks and keep the cerebral booster and sleep regulator, and take Sensitive System.

Calypso
Fortune
Psyche has no bad side effects, so it's a questionable substance in regards to the Addiction Quality.
calypso
QUOTE (Fortune)
Psyche has no bad side effects, so it's a questionable substance in regards to the Addiction Quality.

There is the cost of it.... which is remarkably missing from the book (unless I missed it somewhere).
blakkie
QUOTE (calypso)
Or I could just get rid of the data jacks and keep the cerebral booster and sleep regulator, and take Sensitive System.

Ding!

Although if you really wanted conductive metal and optical fibres in his head, then ya he's different that way.
snowRaven
QUOTE (calypso)
QUOTE (snowRaven @ Sep 28 2005, 05:27 PM)
QUOTE (calypso @ Sep 28 2005, 11:47 PM)
Any other comments?  Nobody (except blakkie) has anything negative to say about him?

Yeah, sorry, it's 13BP on contacts. It adds up right, I just put the wrong number. (If you add up the numbers I listed you get 447 BP).

Yeah, I too love American Gods. The character has a mentor spirit named Memory, and a Virtual Pet/agent program named Thought biggrin.gif Kinda silly, but I liked it.

Just a slight nit-pick, but they might be better the other way around.

Thought (more active) as the Mentor, and Memory as the 'collector of information' VR Agent...
Fortune
QUOTE (calypso)
QUOTE (Fortune @ Sep 29 2005, 01:40 AM)

There is the cost of it.... which is remarkably missing from the book (unless I missed it somewhere).

There is that, but then you could also say that you have an Addiction to caviar, or champagne fermented in Zero-G. As far as I see, the addiction rules don't really take expense into account.

Oh, and nope, there's no price listed. I'm using 500¥ pre dose, which I think is the SR3 cost.

Personally, I think tobacco, alcohol, caffeine, etc should all be viable options for the Addiction Quality.
calypso
So, ready for the close-to-final draft, taking all of your comments into consideration?

Alias: Cyrcuit (previously was Ravyn, as a mage)

Race: Ork (20 BP)

Attributes (200 BP):
[ Spoiler ]

Active Skills (152 BP):
[ Spoiler ]

Knowledges (0 BP):
[ Spoiler ]

Qualities (+10 BP):
[ Spoiler ]

Spells (24 BP):
[ Spoiler ]

Cyberware:
[ Spoiler ]

Gear (250,000N, 50BP):
[ Spoiler ]

Contacts (11 BP):
[ Spoiler ]

Change Summary:
[ Spoiler ]

So yeah, how now, brown cow?
Gothic Rose
Looks pretty farking good. Except for the fact that, unless I'm totally missing something, you have no way of going full VR. No Trodes, no Datajack.
Fortune
Not bad. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012