Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is 'Superior' fluid or fixed?, Prime Runner rankings
Velocity
post Oct 16 2005, 06:54 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,029

So I'm looking through the "Prime Runners" rules in the Shadowrun Companion and I'm wondering: how do you guys adjudicate generic NPCs with the assessments provided? To clarify: in Corporate Download, there are guidelines for the special forces ninja squads possessed by each corp (Red Samurai, Jaguar Guards, SSD, the Seraphim, FireWatch, etc.). Let's say that your PCs encounter an Ares FireWatch team early in their career, when they're all at around 50 Karma apiece. You--as the GM--build the FireWatch team accordingly, i.e. as 'Superior' to a group of characters build on approximately 50 Karma apiece.

[Superior (as a rating) means that the NPCs will have Skill and Attribute ratings roughly 1-2 points higher than the PCs' average.]

Later in the campaign, when the PCs are all at around 125 Karma apiece, they encounter another, different FireWatch team. Now, even though each FireWatch team is unique, they're all supposed to be roughly equal to each other. If the second team is equal to the first, then they'll also be slightly better than a group of 50-Karma PCs--and hence no match for a group of 125-Karma PCs. If you--as the GM--decide to follow the rules as they're written out on pp. 83-84 of Shadowrun Companion, you'd increase the power of the FireWatch team so they're STILL better than the PCs, even though the PCs have gained 75 Karma over time. This option suggests that the original FireWatch team was... what? A bizarre staffing anomaly? Drunk?

How do you adjudicate this in your campaigns?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
toturi
post Oct 16 2005, 07:20 AM
Post #2

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

The Ares Firewatch teams are the only elite force whose quality can vary wildly. If you read the description again, you will notice that the Firewatch team are "at least Superior".

But yes, following the canon rules in this case with respect to the other forces, does result in something that makes little game sense. Also if you follow the rules strictly, you will also note that it is the averages of the stats and skills that the opponents are supposed to be superior to. So a smart player may take many skills at rating 1 to lower his averages and suddenly the enemies facing him are weaker.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Oct 16 2005, 07:22 AM
Post #3

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

for firewatch teams, really, jsut give their main skills (like Assault Rifles for arms master, that osrt of thing ) around an 8, 7's for secondary skills, that sort of thing. If you're running a street campaign, where your players are at 4 for their highest skills, it makes no sense for a Firewatch team to be at 6's in their main skills. So just use your best judgement at making them badass basically.

+Quote Post
Velocity
post Oct 16 2005, 07:36 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

QUOTE (toturi)
The Ares Firewatch teams are the only elite force whose quality can vary wildly. If you read the description again, you will notice that the Firewatch team are "at least Superior".

I chose FireWatch out of a hat; just substitute 'Seraphim' or 'Red Samurai' in my question if it makes more sense. The Red Sams are supposed to be of almost identical skill and training across the board, for instance. Same for the Jaguar Guards.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Oct 16 2005, 08:08 AM
Post #5

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

check out the adventure set "Coprorate Punishmnet". Has listings for Tir Ghosts, which IMO are a good set for an elite OPS team. As opposed to say the Res Sammies in Brainscan which are jsut a bit above average to most experienced runner teams.

+Quote Post
Dawnshadow
post Oct 16 2005, 03:22 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,086

If players have encountered a "standard level of training"/stock opponent early on, then the standard for that group is set.. they've improved, that level of opponent is now not as serious a threat.

Cranking them up to meet the new advanced runners is no fun, it makes the fact that the runners have gotten better worth less then they did, because the opponents who are all supposed to be trained the same are jumping up at the same time..

If you train and improve, then stock (as opposed to recurring threats) opponents should have to be upgraded to different, more powerful stock opponents, not just be ramped up so they're always "just a little better".

+Quote Post
Gothic Rose
post Oct 16 2005, 03:31 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,803

Although nothing says that there just can't be more.

Instead of ONE team of Red Samurai, there are TWO.

With AV Rockets, Panther Assault Cannons, and Dikoted Weapon Foci Katanas.

+Quote Post
Dawnshadow
post Oct 16 2005, 03:47 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

QUOTE (Gothic Rose)
Although nothing says that there just can't be more.

Instead of ONE team of Red Samurai, there are TWO.

With AV Rockets, Panther Assault Cannons, and Dikoted Weapon Foci Katanas.

There are dozens. All of which are trained to the same level, have pretty much the same gear, and so forth. Minor variance, one team is pretty well the same as the other -- so you know what you're getting when a Red Samurai team, for instance, gets sent in.

Until you get into unique teams with special training and features (which I actually have trouble picturing corps doing really -- except for the "photogenic" team) then all teams should be pretty well identical, so there should be no "ramping up" of the power of Red Samurai after they've been encountered without very public stuff for "Upgrades and retraining"..

+Quote Post
Velocity
post Oct 16 2005, 03:48 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Nova and Sunday_Gamer, heads up on an incoming spoiler...

For the record, I just built the 'Tir Ghost Sergeant (Unit Leader)' (from p. 35 of Corporate Punishment) and she came out to:

[ Spoiler ]

Note that I considered the squad to be an Initiatory group for purposes of calculating her Initiation costs.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Oct 16 2005, 03:48 PM
Post #10

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

this is realy a inherent problem of any rpg. sooner or later you should be able to take on anything and win unless there are some hard caps for everything, and the top enemys have caps just a bit above the caps for a pc.

still, people hate hard caps as those basicly makes the game limited on scope, sooner or later you run out of things to do...

+Quote Post
mfb
post Oct 16 2005, 03:50 PM
Post #11

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

Corporate Punishment has great stats for a specops team. it also highlights a roadblock for GMs who want to incorporate realistically-statted specops teams in runs for lowbie characters: there's no way in hell the characters should survive.

one solution would be to have the characters be a secondary objective, or not an objective, for the specops team. the specops guys are there to do a mission, and the runners happen to be in the way. if the runners are smart enough to clear the hell out (and the GM should make it clear how smart that would be), they won't have to engage the specops guys directly. hell, you could even have one specops team act as the runners' unwitting cavalry against another specops team. low-end runners are mice in the pantry; i think it's a bad idea to have them going up against the cats and winning.

in SR3, at least, "later" comes much, much later than other games.

+Quote Post
Velocity
post Oct 16 2005, 03:50 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

QUOTE (Dawnshadow)
If players have encountered a "standard level of training"/stock opponent early on, then the standard for that group is set.. they've improved, that level of opponent is now not as serious a threat.

I agree with you 100%, except that this approach completely ignores that rules for 'Prime Runners' presented in the SRComp. Not that that's a bad thing -- I'm no canon-junkie -- but it's worth mentioning.

+Quote Post
Dawnshadow
post Oct 16 2005, 03:55 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

I think the canon rules are great --- for recurring threats.

A rogue team that's out for your blood.. the blood mage who's ritual you screwed over but managed to survive.. I'd toss them out the window for anything beyond the initial creation of an organization

+Quote Post
mfb
post Oct 16 2005, 03:58 PM
Post #14

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

now that i think about it, it's silly to have every team be statted exactly the same. identically equipped, yes, but it's crazy to think every team, and every member of every team, is going to be trained to the same level. they'll be trained above a certain minimum, sure (i'd say ~7-8), but there's nothing to say that team A might not be better than team B.

+Quote Post
Velocity
post Oct 16 2005, 03:59 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

I think the problem is that the 'Prime Runners' rules were designed for unique NPCs, i.e. other runners. That way, the GM could justify them keeping pace with the PCs and always being Equal (or Inferior, Superior, Ultimate, etc.) because presumably the NPC was out there earning Karma at roughly the same rate as the PCs. Fair play.

The trouble arises when published Shadowrun material began applying these designations to generic NPCs who should have fixed stats, like Red Samurai or Jaguar Guards. These people are relatively static -- they might get a little better over time -- and they should NOT keep pace with the runners.

+Quote Post
Dawnshadow
post Oct 16 2005, 04:14 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

MFB: You're right, they shouldn't be exactly the same, but they should be comperable. Slightly different skill spreads, slightly different tactics. Maybe the occassional "better" person in the team.. but there shouldn't be teams that are just "better" all around.

+Quote Post
caramel frappuci...
post Oct 16 2005, 04:19 PM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 7,782

I don't find it hard to believe at all that one team is better than another.

I do, however, think suspension of disbelief breaks down when every team you encounter is always slightly superior to you.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 16 2005, 04:20 PM
Post #18

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Velocity)
The trouble arises when published Shadowrun material began applying these designations to generic NPCs who should have fixed stats, like Red Samurai or Jaguar Guards. These people are relatively static -- they might get a little better over time -- and they should NOT keep pace with the runners.

Why not?

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 16 2005, 04:24 PM
Post #19

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (caramel frappucino @ Oct 17 2005, 02:19 AM)
I don't find it hard to believe at all that one team is better than another.

I do, however, think suspension of disbelief breaks down when every team you encounter is always slightly superior to you.

I agree. When the Characters get to a certain level, the opposition shouldn't necessarily always be static. There should be Firewatch teams that are slightly lower in scale compared to the group, just as there should be ones that have been around and together for years, and as such are still considered superior, no matter what the PC's Karma level.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Oct 16 2005, 04:32 PM
Post #20

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

Every "super elite special forces special operations commando ninja" unit in the world is not created equal.

Maybe the lowbie specops team the 'runners ran across at ~30 karma was a training unit (even the recruits for the SAS can kick more ass than your average 'runner) for Firewatch, that got hastily equipped, told the whole thing was a "live fire exercise," and got sent to mop up your SR team 'cause the big boys were busy across town.

Maybe the Firewatch team they ran into ~75 karma was a group of hard-core Bug City vets, yes, but it was newly assigned to the Seattle Ares facilities, and wasn't yet accustomed to working together too well (but still definately gave them a run for their money). They were each still bad mo'fo's, but the team still managed to slip away because the Firewatch boys were still used to splat guns and Bug spirits.

Maybe the hardcore Firewatch team Ares sent after your ~250 'runners after they pulled that last big job are the big boys, a special fast-response team Ares doesn't keep stationed to any single facility, but rather specifically calls on for really important threats. When a tac-nuke would cause too much collateral damage (but they still want all the people in an area dead), they send in these guys.

I mean, to be completely honest? Any time the team screws up bad enough that any named unit (or, really, ANY military unit or even SWAT team) is gunning for them, they should probably die. But if you want to rationalize a way to have different "scales" or "power levels" of these special operations-style units, you can come up with a reason handily enough.

+Quote Post
Velocity
post Oct 16 2005, 04:44 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

QUOTE (Velocity)
This option suggests that the original FireWatch team was... what? A bizarre staffing anomaly? Drunk?

QUOTE (Critias)
Maybe the lowbie specops team the 'runners ran across at ~30 karma was a training unit (even the recruits for the SAS can kick more ass than your average 'runner) for Firewatch, that got hastily equipped, told the whole thing was a "live fire exercise," and got sent to mop up your SR team 'cause the big boys were busy across town.

So ka

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Oct 16 2005, 10:33 PM
Post #22

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

I agree with caramel frappucino, though. It doesn't make sense for every spec ops team to be slightly better than the PCs, no matter how much they improve. That doesn't mean that all spec ops teams should be equal, but as the PCs improve, they should be better than some of them.

If you want to improve the spec ops teams without making the PCs feel like all of their Karma expenditures were meaningless, maybe you could have a spec ops team with the "old" stats attack the team, and retreat when they realize they are outclassed by the PCs. Then the next spec ops team can be the "improved" one. Now you're still challenging the PCs, but they also get to feel like they have truly gotten better, and can feel some pride that the corp had to send the really good team after them.

Of course, improving enemy stats is not the only way to make them tougher. You could send the same team after the PCs - with reinforcements close by if needed.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Oct 16 2005, 11:21 PM
Post #23

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

QUOTE (Glyph)
It doesn't make sense for every spec ops team to be slightly better than the PCs...

Right. Generally speaking, until the PC's hit ~250 karma (and spend all of it along the way on combat usefull stuff, and all the money along the way on combat usefull enhancements), a specops team shouldn't be "slightly" better than them.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Oct 17 2005, 03:02 AM
Post #24

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

How can you justify it? The same way a four-man group of Blackwater ex-commandoes was ambushed and gunned down in Fallujah. They were of vary levels of experience and time out of practice, they have never worked with each other, and they all came from different teams with different operational styles.

Gee whiz, that sounds a lot like Firewatch. They hire people from all manner of units, some of whom don't automatically speak the same language, and then throw them into a mess together.

Maybe they ought to go back to the setup in Burning Bright where there were three Firewatch teams, and they were horribly awesome. But the ship's already kind of sailed on that since Corporate Download.

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Oct 17 2005, 03:12 AM
Post #25

Resident Legionnaire

Member No.: 6,550

QUOTE (SL James @ Oct 16 2005, 10:02 PM)
How can you justify it? The same way a four-man group of Blackwater ex-commandoes was ambushed and gunned down in Fallujah. They were of vary levels of experience and time out of practice, they have never worked with each other, and they all came from different teams with different operational styles.

Heh, to puncuate your statement about the "hasty" assembly of that unit, I think they only had 3. They were short a guy!

At least as far as I can remember, maybe it was 4 when they were supposed to have 5. My google is so weak today that I didn't bother.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 07:02 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.