Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Software / hardware costs and upgrades
prionic6
post Oct 22 2005, 09:20 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,429

I am not completly sure about the program costs-table... e.g. standard programs: Rating 1 - 50 :nuyen:, Rat. 2 - 100 :nuyen:, Rat. 3 - 150 :nuyen:. Okay. So far, so good. But Rating 4 - 400 :nuyen: (4 x 100 :nuyen:)? Or 250 :nuyen: (3 x 50 :nuyen: + (6-4) x 100 :nuyen:)?

And what about upgrades. If I have a Rating 4 Edit program can I pay 100y to get a Rating 5 one? The same for hardware... If my commlink has response 4 and I want to upgrade to response 5, is it 2000y or 4000y? I would say software is upgradeable in that sense, hardware not. But the book is not entirely clear about this...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Oct 23 2005, 12:34 AM
Post #2

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

QUOTE (prionic6 @ Oct 22 2005, 03:20 PM)
I am not completly sure about the program costs-table... e.g. standard programs: Rating 1 - 50 :nuyen:, Rat. 2 - 100 :nuyen:, Rat. 3 - 150 :nuyen:. Okay. So far, so good. But Rating 4 - 400 :nuyen: (4 x 100 :nuyen:)? Or 250 :nuyen: (3 x 50 :nuyen: + (6-4) x 100 :nuyen:)?

It seems pretty clear from my reading that it is 400 :nuyen: . *shrug*

And what about upgrades. If I have a Rating 4 Edit program can I pay 100y to get a Rating 5 one? The same for hardware... If my commlink has response 4 and I want to upgrade to response 5, is it 2000y or 4000y? I would say software is upgradeable in that sense, hardware not. But the book is not entirely clear about this...

There doesn't seem to be any upgrading option in the rules, not even the option for a programmer to increase the rating of software he had previously written himself. Though some software sellers might offer a trade-in rebate for the old software or your PC could just try selling the old software themselves. Very unlikely that you'd recover the original purchase price though.

+Quote Post
Chandon
post Oct 23 2005, 01:07 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,115

I doubt you could get any money reselling software. I'd assume that commercial software requires activation on a single designated commlink and that reselling software is a violation of the EULA. Reselling software would require cracking it, and then you'd be in selling-cracked-software territory which is a whole other can of worms.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:58 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.