Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Software / hardware costs and upgrades
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
prionic6
I am not completly sure about the program costs-table... e.g. standard programs: Rating 1 - 50 nuyen.gif, Rat. 2 - 100 nuyen.gif, Rat. 3 - 150 nuyen.gif. Okay. So far, so good. But Rating 4 - 400 nuyen.gif (4 x 100 nuyen.gif)? Or 250 nuyen.gif (3 x 50 nuyen.gif + (6-4) x 100 nuyen.gif)?

And what about upgrades. If I have a Rating 4 Edit program can I pay 100y to get a Rating 5 one? The same for hardware... If my commlink has response 4 and I want to upgrade to response 5, is it 2000y or 4000y? I would say software is upgradeable in that sense, hardware not. But the book is not entirely clear about this...
blakkie
QUOTE (prionic6 @ Oct 22 2005, 03:20 PM)
I am not completly sure about the program costs-table... e.g. standard programs: Rating 1 - 50 nuyen.gif, Rat. 2 - 100 nuyen.gif, Rat. 3 - 150 nuyen.gif. Okay. So far, so good. But Rating 4 - 400 nuyen.gif (4 x 100 nuyen.gif)? Or 250 nuyen.gif (3 x 50 nuyen.gif + (6-4) x 100 nuyen.gif)?

It seems pretty clear from my reading that it is 400 nuyen.gif . *shrug*

And what about upgrades. If I have a Rating 4 Edit program can I pay 100y to get a Rating 5 one? The same for hardware... If my commlink has response 4 and I want to upgrade to response 5, is it 2000y or 4000y? I would say software is upgradeable in that sense, hardware not. But the book is not entirely clear about this...

There doesn't seem to be any upgrading option in the rules, not even the option for a programmer to increase the rating of software he had previously written himself. Though some software sellers might offer a trade-in rebate for the old software or your PC could just try selling the old software themselves. Very unlikely that you'd recover the original purchase price though.
Chandon
I doubt you could get any money reselling software. I'd assume that commercial software requires activation on a single designated commlink and that reselling software is a violation of the EULA. Reselling software would require cracking it, and then you'd be in selling-cracked-software territory which is a whole other can of worms.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012