Reply to this topicStart new topic
> LoS vs. Touch, a fight to the cast
Straight Razor
post Nov 9 2005, 03:08 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,761

Question: a spell that requires LoS to cast. Could it be cast at touch. in a blind situation, around a corned behind you back(mugging) or total dark.
i can see argument for both sides.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 9 2005, 03:11 PM
Post #2

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

IMO, yes.

~J

+Quote Post
Velocity
post Nov 9 2005, 03:18 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,029

I'm not sure I understand the question. Do you mean only using touch, like if the caster is blind?

+Quote Post
Apathy
post Nov 9 2005, 03:31 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 6,046

IMO, if the spell is LOS, then the caster must be able to see or astrally percieve the target. So, if the mugger grabs you from behind, and you can't turn your head around to look at him, and you can't astrally percieve him [whether astral perception is limited to the direction your eyes are looking is a whole other topic], then you're screwed.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 9 2005, 03:58 PM
Post #5

Manus Celer Dei

I'm curious, in your opinion do Touch-range spells then have capabilities that regular spells do not? Or do you just rule that you must have LOS to target even if you're touching them for all spells?

~J

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Nov 9 2005, 04:00 PM
Post #6

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

Touch is just a limited range version of LOS. Both perform the function of creating a conduit for mana between the caster and te target or subject. However, the conduit formed by touch is stronger and has less resistance, thus less drain.
Reasonably, one should be able to use either technique and benefit from the approperiate drain reduction at touch range. However, that isn't the way the spell rules work.

Depending on one's interpertation one could cast spells using touch just as one can cast spells at a lower force but without drain reduction or casting spells with touch would require learning the spell as touch range. Both interpertations have their benefits and their consequences.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 9 2005, 04:03 PM
Post #7

Manus Celer Dei

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Both perform the function of creating a conduit for mana between the caster and te target or subject. However, the conduit formed by touch is stronger and has less resistance, thus less drain.

:proof:

~J

+Quote Post
Apathy
post Nov 9 2005, 06:13 PM
Post #8

Running Target

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
I'm curious, in your opinion do Touch-range spells then have capabilities that regular spells do not? Or do you just rule that you must have LOS to target even if you're touching them for all spells?
~J

QUOTE (SR3 page181 - Spell Targeting)
With spellcasting, the caster must be able to see the target and must be present on the same plane (physical or astral) as the target [...] If the caster's line of sight is in question, the gamemaster may call for a Perception test to determine if the caster can see a particular target.
This passage is never refuted in any of the text that talks about touch range. So a literal interpretation of the rules would indicate that
  • on line of sight spells you have to be able to see the target, and
  • on touch range spells you have to be able to see the target and you have to be physically touching the target.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 9 2005, 06:16 PM
Post #9

Manus Celer Dei

Right. I'm asking if that's the way you play it.

~J

+Quote Post
Apathy
post Nov 9 2005, 07:05 PM
Post #10

Running Target

It's never actually come up, and now I no longer have a group.

If I did have a group, I'd probably ask the rest of the players out of game what they're preference was, and either go by the strict rule or house-rule according to their preference (recognizing that either way it could work for or against them in the future.)

[edit]I personally don't feel strongly about this either way. If it were entirely up to me, I'd probably go with a strict interpretation, since that's the easiest defensible position.

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Nov 9 2005, 11:40 PM
Post #11

Deus Absconditus

Member No.: 5,566

Just FYI, there is almost no conceivable situation where someone could grab a magician from behind and the magician couldn't cast a spell on them. Why is that? Well, seeing *any* part of the target is theoretically enough to form the mana conduit needed to turn their innards into soup. Sure, if you were really playing hardball, you could rule a guy with a hand over your eyes would have the penalties for 90% cover, since 'all' you could see was his hand. But being able to look down and see a knee, a hip, a hand, his shoes... those are all you need.

+Quote Post
SMDVogrin
post Nov 10 2005, 10:47 AM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 7,892

QUOTE (Adarael)
Just FYI, there is almost no conceivable situation where someone could grab a magician from behind and the magician couldn't cast a spell on them. Why is that? Well, seeing *any* part of the target is theoretically enough to form the mana conduit needed to turn their innards into soup. Sure, if you were really playing hardball, you could rule a guy with a hand over your eyes would have the penalties for 90% cover, since 'all' you could see was his hand. But being able to look down and see a knee, a hip, a hand, his shoes... those are all you need.

Pull a large sack over their head and upper body from behind?

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Nov 10 2005, 11:53 AM
Post #13

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

Burn a hole in your pants with one of the multitude of independent cybereyes (with lasers!) implanted in your cyberleg(s), then let the bastard have it.

:rotfl:

+Quote Post
Tweeble
post Nov 10 2005, 12:15 PM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 7,607

If the attacker has his hand over your eyes, so you can't see him, and you percieve to see his aura, would you be able to cast using LOS, or does his aura become intertwined with your own?

+Quote Post
Oracle
post Nov 10 2005, 12:24 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

From: Earth - Europe - AGS - Norddeutscher Bund - Hannover
Member No.: 7,624

I think I read in an errata or in the spell-construction rules that touch fullfills LoS requirement.

+Quote Post
Sandoval Smith
post Nov 10 2005, 02:23 PM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 6,690

QUOTE (Tweeble)
If the attacker has his hand over your eyes, so you can't see him, and you percieve to see his aura, would you be able to cast using LOS, or does his aura become intertwined with your own?

If he's got his hands over my eyes, I'd see if the GM would accept that arguement I have a perfect LOS to his hand...

+Quote Post
Velocity
post Nov 10 2005, 02:28 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,029

So what happens when a mage is captured? If a spellcaster is bound, gagged and blindfolded, are you suggesting that she could cast spells on anyone who grabbed her and hoisted her up?

+Quote Post
PiXeL01
post Nov 10 2005, 02:38 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,483

IMO if you can touch someone with your hand then you can cast whatever touch spell you like in the sense that you transmit all the magic you need to your hand and it is then discharged into whatever you touch with it.

Hand over the eyes thing? Visual mod maybe, other than that I dont know. It has never come up in my games

+Quote Post
PlatonicPimp
post Nov 10 2005, 04:03 PM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 1,320

I'd play it off as two entirely separate things. If the spell requires touch, you must touch the target, but it works even if you can't see. If the spell requires LOS, you have to see them, even if you are touching them.

And I was always under the impression that touch spells were cast through your hands. Being touched isn't good enough, your hands have to be in contact with the target.

+Quote Post
Dog
post Nov 10 2005, 04:08 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,025

Sounds like a SNAD. If I was GMing and had to make the call right now, I'd allow it.

+Quote Post
Apathy
post Nov 10 2005, 04:09 PM
Post #21

Running Target

QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
I'd play it off as two entirely separate things. If the spell requires touch, you must touch the target, but it works even if you can't see. If the spell requires LOS, you have to see them, even if you are touching them.

And I was always under the impression that touch spells were cast through your hands. Being touched isn't good enough, your hands have to be in contact with the target.

So, you wouldn't let them fulfill their requirement by touching the subject with their foot (kick)? No giving the target the 'ol kiss of death?

+Quote Post
PlatonicPimp
post Nov 10 2005, 04:11 PM
Post #22

Running Target

Member No.: 1,320

Not unless they specifically bought the spell with that as their touching extension, and hands not allowed. in other words, when you have a spell with a range of touch, you have a specific part of your body you have to touch with.

+Quote Post
The_Gun_Nut
post Nov 10 2005, 06:45 PM
Post #23

Target

Member No.: 7,913

In one of the older magic books, it clarified that to hit someone with a spell you needed to perceive the target. Touching a target with your eyes closed qualified, regardless of the actual range of the spell. You didn't even have to be the one touching, someone could grab you and you could fire off the spell. How they will clarify this edition is up for grabs, but I don't think it will be too different.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 10 2005, 08:04 PM
Post #24

Manus Celer Dei

That raises questions about being able to hear or smell the target, though, so I'm not entirely sad they got rid of it.

~J

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Nov 10 2005, 08:08 PM
Post #25

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
That raises questions about being able to hear or smell the target, though, so I'm not entirely sad they got rid of it.

~J

A dolphin or a wale with sorcery would probably be able to cast using eccolocation

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:42 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.