Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LoS vs. Touch
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Straight Razor
Question: a spell that requires LoS to cast. Could it be cast at touch. in a blind situation, around a corned behind you back(mugging) or total dark.
i can see argument for both sides.
Kagetenshi
IMO, yes.

~J
Velocity
I'm not sure I understand the question. Do you mean only using touch, like if the caster is blind?
Apathy
IMO, if the spell is LOS, then the caster must be able to see or astrally percieve the target. So, if the mugger grabs you from behind, and you can't turn your head around to look at him, and you can't astrally percieve him [whether astral perception is limited to the direction your eyes are looking is a whole other topic], then you're screwed.
Kagetenshi
I'm curious, in your opinion do Touch-range spells then have capabilities that regular spells do not? Or do you just rule that you must have LOS to target even if you're touching them for all spells?

~J
hyzmarca
Touch is just a limited range version of LOS. Both perform the function of creating a conduit for mana between the caster and te target or subject. However, the conduit formed by touch is stronger and has less resistance, thus less drain.
Reasonably, one should be able to use either technique and benefit from the approperiate drain reduction at touch range. However, that isn't the way the spell rules work.

Depending on one's interpertation one could cast spells using touch just as one can cast spells at a lower force but without drain reduction or casting spells with touch would require learning the spell as touch range. Both interpertations have their benefits and their consequences.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Both perform the function of creating a conduit for mana between the caster and te target or subject. However, the conduit formed by touch is stronger and has less resistance, thus less drain.

proof.gif

~J
Apathy
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
I'm curious, in your opinion do Touch-range spells then have capabilities that regular spells do not? Or do you just rule that you must have LOS to target even if you're touching them for all spells?
~J

QUOTE (SR3 page181 - Spell Targeting)
With spellcasting, the caster must be able to see the target and must be present on the same plane (physical or astral) as the target [...] If the caster's line of sight is in question, the gamemaster may call for a Perception test to determine if the caster can see a particular target.
This passage is never refuted in any of the text that talks about touch range. So a literal interpretation of the rules would indicate that
  • on line of sight spells you have to be able to see the target, and
  • on touch range spells you have to be able to see the target and you have to be physically touching the target.
Kagetenshi
Right. I'm asking if that's the way you play it.

~J
Apathy
It's never actually come up, and now I no longer have a group.

If I did have a group, I'd probably ask the rest of the players out of game what they're preference was, and either go by the strict rule or house-rule according to their preference (recognizing that either way it could work for or against them in the future.)

[edit]I personally don't feel strongly about this either way. If it were entirely up to me, I'd probably go with a strict interpretation, since that's the easiest defensible position.
Adarael
Just FYI, there is almost no conceivable situation where someone could grab a magician from behind and the magician couldn't cast a spell on them. Why is that? Well, seeing *any* part of the target is theoretically enough to form the mana conduit needed to turn their innards into soup. Sure, if you were really playing hardball, you could rule a guy with a hand over your eyes would have the penalties for 90% cover, since 'all' you could see was his hand. But being able to look down and see a knee, a hip, a hand, his shoes... those are all you need.
SMDVogrin
QUOTE (Adarael)
Just FYI, there is almost no conceivable situation where someone could grab a magician from behind and the magician couldn't cast a spell on them. Why is that? Well, seeing *any* part of the target is theoretically enough to form the mana conduit needed to turn their innards into soup. Sure, if you were really playing hardball, you could rule a guy with a hand over your eyes would have the penalties for 90% cover, since 'all' you could see was his hand. But being able to look down and see a knee, a hip, a hand, his shoes... those are all you need.

Pull a large sack over their head and upper body from behind?

Crusher Bob
Burn a hole in your pants with one of the multitude of independent cybereyes (with lasers!) implanted in your cyberleg(s), then let the bastard have it.

rotfl.gif
Tweeble
If the attacker has his hand over your eyes, so you can't see him, and you percieve to see his aura, would you be able to cast using LOS, or does his aura become intertwined with your own?
Oracle
I think I read in an errata or in the spell-construction rules that touch fullfills LoS requirement.
Sandoval Smith
QUOTE (Tweeble)
If the attacker has his hand over your eyes, so you can't see him, and you percieve to see his aura, would you be able to cast using LOS, or does his aura become intertwined with your own?

If he's got his hands over my eyes, I'd see if the GM would accept that arguement I have a perfect LOS to his hand...
Velocity
So what happens when a mage is captured? If a spellcaster is bound, gagged and blindfolded, are you suggesting that she could cast spells on anyone who grabbed her and hoisted her up?
PiXeL01
IMO if you can touch someone with your hand then you can cast whatever touch spell you like in the sense that you transmit all the magic you need to your hand and it is then discharged into whatever you touch with it.

Hand over the eyes thing? Visual mod maybe, other than that I dont know. It has never come up in my games
PlatonicPimp
I'd play it off as two entirely separate things. If the spell requires touch, you must touch the target, but it works even if you can't see. If the spell requires LOS, you have to see them, even if you are touching them.

And I was always under the impression that touch spells were cast through your hands. Being touched isn't good enough, your hands have to be in contact with the target.
Dog
Sounds like a SNAD. If I was GMing and had to make the call right now, I'd allow it.
Apathy
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
I'd play it off as two entirely separate things. If the spell requires touch, you must touch the target, but it works even if you can't see. If the spell requires LOS, you have to see them, even if you are touching them.

And I was always under the impression that touch spells were cast through your hands. Being touched isn't good enough, your hands have to be in contact with the target.

So, you wouldn't let them fulfill their requirement by touching the subject with their foot (kick)? No giving the target the 'ol kiss of death?
PlatonicPimp
Not unless they specifically bought the spell with that as their touching extension, and hands not allowed. in other words, when you have a spell with a range of touch, you have a specific part of your body you have to touch with.
The_Gun_Nut
In one of the older magic books, it clarified that to hit someone with a spell you needed to perceive the target. Touching a target with your eyes closed qualified, regardless of the actual range of the spell. You didn't even have to be the one touching, someone could grab you and you could fire off the spell. How they will clarify this edition is up for grabs, but I don't think it will be too different.
Kagetenshi
That raises questions about being able to hear or smell the target, though, so I'm not entirely sad they got rid of it.

~J
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
That raises questions about being able to hear or smell the target, though, so I'm not entirely sad they got rid of it.

~J

A dolphin or a wale with sorcery would probably be able to cast using eccolocation
Velocity
Here's a novel idea: let's take a look at the rules. smile.gif

From Shadowrun 3rd Edition, p. 178:

Some spells, particularly health spells, require the caster to touch the intended target In order for the spell to work. To touch an unwilling target, the caster must make a normal unarmed attack as part of the Complex Action of spellcasting (see Melee Combat, p. 120). The target number for the unarmed attack has a -1 modifier, since the caster only needs to touch the target. One net success is sufficient for the caster to touch the target.

That pretty much settles that.
Straight Razor
OK. this it how i see it. According to most Occult practices, and more documented KI techniques, Ones "body / mystic / soul / heavenly / demonic / occult" energy emanates from a couple of spots. These being it order of importance: eyes, hands(finger tips, base of middle metacarpal / aka palm), mouth, feet(sole, ball of foot), base of spine(normally thought of as more of a receptor than an out).
SO. Applying SR rules and a little interpretation. i would rule that a LOS spell could be grounded if the target was touching one of these points, and a touch spell would require one of these points be touched. Further this would require a firm contact. not just a casual contact.
so a mugger grabbing the back of you shirt would not provide grounding. If there were to grab you hands, or cover your eyes with there hands. You would have perfect grounding.
Oracle
Do not try to mix up Shadowrun magic rules with the workings of "real" magic / religious practics.
Critias
Down that road lies only madness. And Tantric sex position Centering.
Oracle
Hmm, I'm working as a software developer. So I got enough madness every fragging day. But Tantric sex position Centering sounds promissing... wink.gif
Straight Razor
programing is cramming a dream in a clock. you dream or some one else. It is sure to mess you brain up.
PlatonicPimp
Now, I can't back this up from work without my books, but I always thought that the reason you had to see or touch your target was Aura synchronization. since all mages have astral sight, seeing the target meant you could perceive their aura, and so sinc up the spell to effect them. Touch puts you in direct contact with their aura, you could sync up that way.

Of course, mystic adepts without astral perception fuck up this theroy, as do the rumored "People who can cast a single spell" from the indonesias. They can't astrally perceive, so how can they cast? Eh.
Apathy
QUOTE (Velocity)
Here's a novel idea: let's take a look at the rules. smile.gif

From Shadowrun 3rd Edition, p. 178:

Some spells, particularly health spells, require the caster to touch the intended target In order for the spell to work.  To touch an unwilling target, the caster must make a normal unarmed attack as part of the Complex Action of spellcasting (see Melee Combat, p. 120). The target number for the unarmed attack has a -1 modifier, since the caster only needs to touch the target. One net success is sufficient for the caster to touch the target.

That pretty much settles that.

It says that they have to touch the target, but does not say that they don't have to see them, too.

So
  • page 181 says you have to see the target to cast a spell.
  • page 182 says that for astral perception works as good as physical sight for purposes of targeting.
  • page 178 says you have to have to touch the target for touch-range spells.
My interpretation of this would be that the requirements on 178 and 181 are cumulative; that you have to both see and touch a target in a touch-range spell.

They do use the phrase "since the caster only needs to touch the target", but I believe that that is referring to just touch instead of having to deliver a damaging blow, and that it doesn't refer to whether or not sight is required.
Deamon_Knight
So, guys puts his hands over the mages Eyes, Mage spends one simple action to precieve astrally, LOS achieved, splat next pass.
Velocity
QUOTE (Apathy)
My interpretation of this would be that the requirements on 178 and 181 are cumulative; that you have to both see and touch a target in a touch-range spell.

They do use the phrase "since the caster only needs to touch the target", but I believe that that is referring to just touch instead of having to deliver a damaging blow, and that it doesn't refer to whether or not sight is required.

This is precisely how my group decided to handle it.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Deamon_Knight)
So, guys puts his hands over the mages Eyes, Mage spends one simple action to precieve astrally, LOS achieved, splat next pass.

Um, guy puts hands over your eyes, you can see his hands. LOS achieved, no astral perception needed.

caramel frappuccino
Yup, but you'll have to suck a +8 Full Darkness targeting modifier if you don't use astral perception.
The_Gun_Nut
The big thing about it was that you were trying to synchronize your aura with the targets aura. For a ranged spell you needed to be able to "see" the aura (since spellcasting places you briefly into astral perception, but not enough to ground a spell into you from the astral). When you are physically touching your target and both of your auras are in contact then synchronization is simple, since your aura is in such close proximity you can "feel" the targets and thus ground it into him.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (The_Gun_Nut)
The big thing about it was that you were trying to synchronize your aura with the targets aura. For a ranged spell you needed to be able to "see" the aura (since spellcasting places you briefly into astral perception, but not enough to ground a spell into you from the astral). When you are physically touching your target and both of your auras are in contact then synchronization is simple, since your aura is in such close proximity you can "feel" the targets and thus ground it into him.

I belive that the "brief instant of astral perception during spellcasting" was dropped from the official descriptions during the transition from second to third editions.
Fortune
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
I belive that the "brief instant of astral perception during spellcasting" was dropped from the official descriptions during the transition from second to third editions.

Yep ... at the same time as Grounding was dropped.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012