Reply to this topicStart new topic
> military application of silly string?
PBTHHHHT
post Nov 10 2005, 05:42 PM
Post #1

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,327

Interesting, just read this and thought y'all might take a look at this. The military use of silly string.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Nov 10 2005, 05:58 PM
Post #2

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

now thats a nice way of using something that on paper looks like something compleatly useless.

kinda reminds me of using dust or similar to spot lasers :P

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Nov 10 2005, 06:07 PM
Post #3

Neophyte Runner

I'm just wondering how sensitive tripwires are usually.

Yeah, for lasers, it can be dust but you're better off with some sort of aerosol device that's all conveniently housed in a can. Easy to
transport/use.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Nov 10 2005, 06:17 PM
Post #4

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

thanks, all i could think of at the moment of typing was say a dry sponge from a classroom or similar :P

as for sensitivty. they cant be so sensitive that the weight of the wire itself triggers the detonation.

im guessing that most are similar to the old grenade in a can type trap that the vietnam war is known for :P ie, you have to apply atleast some force before things go boom.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Nov 10 2005, 06:27 PM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

While that may be the case for some of the inhouse fighting, that does not hold true for IEDs and the like, which are far, far more sophisticated. I am really not clear how he was using silly string to help with those.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Nov 10 2005, 06:55 PM
Post #6

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

Looks like he is talking just about tripwires or other physical tripping hazard stuff like open holes.

It wouldn't help for things fully concealed below surfaces like landmines, linked landmines, covered pitfalls, and stuff like that.

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Nov 10 2005, 07:07 PM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

Aye, all it's good for is tripwires. Still, better to at least figure out there's no tripwires at least and then work on the other things like landmines, etc...

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Nov 10 2005, 07:48 PM
Post #8

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

He specifically mentions IEDs, though, which do not use tripwires.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Nov 10 2005, 07:51 PM
Post #9

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

QUOTE (Arethusa)
He specifically mentions IEDs, though, which do not use tripwires.

Improvised Explosive Devices are, by definition, improvised. There is no standard formula for them. If material to make and incorporate a tripwire detonator is available then the bombmaker could very well make an IED with a tripwire detonator.

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Nov 10 2005, 07:51 PM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

Are all IED's done by radio/cell phones? I thought the definition of IED is improvised explosive device. That can be anything. Anyway, it looks like he meant booby traps for room clearing and just used the term IED instead.

If you really want to go technical on the word definition, IED is used by the press a lot for roadside bombs. Boobytrapped rooms are a different matter and using a tripwire and other means is logical for boobytrapping because they can't always be there to trigger the device since it's likely in some room that's out of view during urban search/fighting.

+Quote Post
JRDobbs
post Nov 10 2005, 08:05 PM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 7,818

I believe the primary difference between an IED and a "boobytrap" is that the DoD and media got tired of getting flak for saying "booby" on TV.

That being said, runners should be careful leaving a trail of sillystring-like material in at a run site. Even something akin to stealth rope (stealth silly string?) would leave a residue in an indoors environment.

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Nov 10 2005, 08:20 PM
Post #12

Neophyte Runner

Depends on the run. If you're doing some big urban warfare thing where you have to clear rooms, I don't think it really matters if you leave a residue. Not all runners are stealth and leave no trace people. Some are bang-bang mercs.

I know, I know, I enjoy the stealth runners too. But, you have to consider that there are 'different strokes for different folks'... ;)

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 10 2005, 08:21 PM
Post #13

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

It all depends on what your run is about. Unless you're doing a datasteal you're going to be leaving traces anyway, and unless said datasteal consists of "bring in your own camera, don't touch anything, take tons of pictures" you're probably going to leave traces for that too. After that, worrying about silly-string residue is pointless unless you've overused it to the point of being identifying.

~J

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Nov 10 2005, 08:28 PM
Post #14

Midnight Toker

QUOTE (JRDobbs @ Nov 10 2005, 03:05 PM)
I believe the primary difference between an IED and a "boobytrap" is that the DoD and media got tired of getting flak for saying "booby" on TV.

A boobytrap may or may not be explosive but is always designed to be set off by the target's own actions.

An Improvised Explosive Device is always explosive and may or may not be set off by the target's own actions.

Thus some booby traps are IEDs and some IEDs are boobytraps. But, not all IEDs are boobytraps and not all boobytraps are IUDs.

I found a little something on one type of tripwire based IED that you may find useful for a run.

# Daisy chaining. AP mines may be used in daisy chains linked with other explosive hazards. Enemy forces may link the mines together with trip wire or detonating cord. When the initial mine is detonated, the other mines may detonate. This may also create large, lethal engagement areas.

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Nov 10 2005, 08:36 PM
Post #15

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Nov 10 2005, 03:21 PM)
It all depends on what your run is about. Unless you're doing a datasteal you're going to be leaving traces anyway, and unless said datasteal consists of "bring in your own camera, don't touch anything, take tons of pictures" you're probably going to leave traces for that too. After that, worrying about silly-string residue is pointless unless you've overused it to the point of being identifying.

~J

Hell, with the silly string and such, leave the residue behind making it look like someone had a party. That might throw off the security/intelligence officers for a very short while. :D

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Nov 10 2005, 08:38 PM
Post #16

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

@hyzmarca ya, that's linking. You don't nessasarily have to use AP mines at the other end. You could use just a wad of explosive material, or even a spare large munnition/ordinance (like an unexploded aerial bomb). You may not have wanted it to be triggered anyway when it is walked on, instead having the lead man (or some minesweeper tool) set off the initiating explosive and the guy following behind take a direct hit too.

The wad of explosive is also nasty in that it has no metal parts, so it's harder to detect.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Nov 10 2005, 09:32 PM
Post #17

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
I'm just wondering how sensitive tripwires are usually.

Yeah, for lasers, it can be dust but you're better off with some sort of aerosol device that's all conveniently housed in a can.  Easy to
transport/use.

Leela liked to carry a bottle of de-frizzing mist with her. Lasers would show up pretty well when she used it, and since she was a redhead with "naturally curly hair" it was also practical to have with her at all times.

She sure would have liked the Silly String idea though.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Nov 10 2005, 09:41 PM
Post #18

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
... not all boodytraps are IUDs.

That's just what they want you to believe! ;) :D

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Nov 10 2005, 10:41 PM
Post #19

Midnight Toker

QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Nov 11 2005, 07:28 AM)

That's just what they want you to believe! ;) :D

I will avenge our sperm brothers and sisters who were so brutally cut down by those inhumane death traps.

:D

+Quote Post
Westiex
post Nov 10 2005, 11:12 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,715

QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Nov 11 2005, 07:28 AM)

I just think that it gives new meaning to the term 'safe sex'.

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Nov 11 2005, 03:50 AM
Post #21

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

Woman killed by rocket launcher, experts mystified?

+Quote Post
Fix-it
post Nov 11 2005, 03:14 PM
Post #22

Creating a god with his own hands

Member No.: 3,364

Moving this into the 2060s, you think this technique would work well against monowire trips??

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 11 2005, 04:46 PM
Post #23

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

No.

~J

+Quote Post
SMDVogrin
post Nov 11 2005, 06:12 PM
Post #24

Target

Member No.: 7,892

QUOTE (Fix-it)
Moving this into the 2060s, you think this technique would work well against monowire trips??

Well... maybe if you look for where the string is cut where it lays on the ground. (I'm pretty sure just gravity will provide enough force to cut through silly string)

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Nov 11 2005, 06:19 PM
Post #25

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

It depends upon how sticky the string is relative to its mass. If your string is light enough, and sticky enough, it will hang in a continuous rope right over the monowire.

Of course, something that light is going to take a while to fall down to the point where monowire traps could be identified, but if you've got the time it could help save a leg.

-Frank

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 02:26 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.