Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: military application of silly string?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
PBTHHHHT
Interesting, just read this and thought y'all might take a look at this. The military use of silly string.
hobgoblin
now thats a nice way of using something that on paper looks like something compleatly useless.

kinda reminds me of using dust or similar to spot lasers nyahnyah.gif
PBTHHHHT
I'm just wondering how sensitive tripwires are usually.

Yeah, for lasers, it can be dust but you're better off with some sort of aerosol device that's all conveniently housed in a can. Easy to
transport/use.
hobgoblin
thanks, all i could think of at the moment of typing was say a dry sponge from a classroom or similar nyahnyah.gif

as for sensitivty. they cant be so sensitive that the weight of the wire itself triggers the detonation.

im guessing that most are similar to the old grenade in a can type trap that the vietnam war is known for nyahnyah.gif ie, you have to apply atleast some force before things go boom.
Arethusa
While that may be the case for some of the inhouse fighting, that does not hold true for IEDs and the like, which are far, far more sophisticated. I am really not clear how he was using silly string to help with those.
blakkie
Looks like he is talking just about tripwires or other physical tripping hazard stuff like open holes.

It wouldn't help for things fully concealed below surfaces like landmines, linked landmines, covered pitfalls, and stuff like that.
PBTHHHHT
Aye, all it's good for is tripwires. Still, better to at least figure out there's no tripwires at least and then work on the other things like landmines, etc...
Arethusa
He specifically mentions IEDs, though, which do not use tripwires.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Arethusa)
He specifically mentions IEDs, though, which do not use tripwires.

Improvised Explosive Devices are, by definition, improvised. There is no standard formula for them. If material to make and incorporate a tripwire detonator is available then the bombmaker could very well make an IED with a tripwire detonator.
PBTHHHHT
Are all IED's done by radio/cell phones? I thought the definition of IED is improvised explosive device. That can be anything. Anyway, it looks like he meant booby traps for room clearing and just used the term IED instead.

If you really want to go technical on the word definition, IED is used by the press a lot for roadside bombs. Boobytrapped rooms are a different matter and using a tripwire and other means is logical for boobytrapping because they can't always be there to trigger the device since it's likely in some room that's out of view during urban search/fighting.
JRDobbs
I believe the primary difference between an IED and a "boobytrap" is that the DoD and media got tired of getting flak for saying "booby" on TV.

That being said, runners should be careful leaving a trail of sillystring-like material in at a run site. Even something akin to stealth rope (stealth silly string?) would leave a residue in an indoors environment.
PBTHHHHT
Depends on the run. If you're doing some big urban warfare thing where you have to clear rooms, I don't think it really matters if you leave a residue. Not all runners are stealth and leave no trace people. Some are bang-bang mercs.

I know, I know, I enjoy the stealth runners too. But, you have to consider that there are 'different strokes for different folks'... wink.gif
Kagetenshi
It all depends on what your run is about. Unless you're doing a datasteal you're going to be leaving traces anyway, and unless said datasteal consists of "bring in your own camera, don't touch anything, take tons of pictures" you're probably going to leave traces for that too. After that, worrying about silly-string residue is pointless unless you've overused it to the point of being identifying.

~J
hyzmarca
QUOTE (JRDobbs @ Nov 10 2005, 03:05 PM)
I believe the primary difference between an IED and a "boobytrap" is that the DoD and media got tired of getting flak for saying "booby" on TV.

A boobytrap may or may not be explosive but is always designed to be set off by the target's own actions.

An Improvised Explosive Device is always explosive and may or may not be set off by the target's own actions.

Thus some booby traps are IEDs and some IEDs are boobytraps. But, not all IEDs are boobytraps and not all boobytraps are IUDs.

I found a little something on one type of tripwire based IED that you may find useful for a run.

# Daisy chaining. AP mines may be used in daisy chains linked with other explosive hazards. Enemy forces may link the mines together with trip wire or detonating cord. When the initial mine is detonated, the other mines may detonate. This may also create large, lethal engagement areas.
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Nov 10 2005, 03:21 PM)
It all depends on what your run is about. Unless you're doing a datasteal you're going to be leaving traces anyway, and unless said datasteal consists of "bring in your own camera, don't touch anything, take tons of pictures" you're probably going to leave traces for that too. After that, worrying about silly-string residue is pointless unless you've overused it to the point of being identifying.

~J

Hell, with the silly string and such, leave the residue behind making it look like someone had a party. That might throw off the security/intelligence officers for a very short while. biggrin.gif
blakkie
@hyzmarca ya, that's linking. You don't nessasarily have to use AP mines at the other end. You could use just a wad of explosive material, or even a spare large munnition/ordinance (like an unexploded aerial bomb). You may not have wanted it to be triggered anyway when it is walked on, instead having the lead man (or some minesweeper tool) set off the initiating explosive and the guy following behind take a direct hit too.

The wad of explosive is also nasty in that it has no metal parts, so it's harder to detect.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
I'm just wondering how sensitive tripwires are usually.

Yeah, for lasers, it can be dust but you're better off with some sort of aerosol device that's all conveniently housed in a can.  Easy to
transport/use.

Leela liked to carry a bottle of de-frizzing mist with her. Lasers would show up pretty well when she used it, and since she was a redhead with "naturally curly hair" it was also practical to have with her at all times.

She sure would have liked the Silly String idea though.
Fortune
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
... not all boodytraps are IUDs.

That's just what they want you to believe! wink.gif biggrin.gif
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Nov 11 2005, 07:28 AM)

That's just what they want you to believe! wink.gif biggrin.gif

I will avenge our sperm brothers and sisters who were so brutally cut down by those inhumane death traps.

biggrin.gif
Westiex
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Nov 11 2005, 07:28 AM)

I just think that it gives new meaning to the term 'safe sex'.
Crusher Bob
Woman killed by rocket launcher, experts mystified?
Fix-it
Moving this into the 2060s, you think this technique would work well against monowire trips??
Kagetenshi
No.

~J
SMDVogrin
QUOTE (Fix-it)
Moving this into the 2060s, you think this technique would work well against monowire trips??

Well... maybe if you look for where the string is cut where it lays on the ground. (I'm pretty sure just gravity will provide enough force to cut through silly string)
FrankTrollman
It depends upon how sticky the string is relative to its mass. If your string is light enough, and sticky enough, it will hang in a continuous rope right over the monowire.

Of course, something that light is going to take a while to fall down to the point where monowire traps could be identified, but if you've got the time it could help save a leg.

-Frank
Austere Emancipator
Oh come on, monowire won't cut silly strong under its own weight. Maybe if you sprayed the string right at the wire it might get cut, but if the string just drops on it it'll be fine. This is almost as stupid as the idea of a silk handkerchief being cut in two when it falls on a katana blade. It doesn't matter how sharp an edge is, you still need a certain amount of force to tear the stuff apart.

Well, maybe if the monowire is 10 feet above the floor and you spray the stuff so that there's a big glob hanging on just one string over the wire.
Arethusa
Be careful, guys! Never drop monowire on the floor becuase it will fall right through the Earth!
caramel frappuccino
You bastard, you gave away my secret strategy for defeating the Chinese military forces!
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
Oh come on, monowire won't cut silly strong under its own weight.

I suppose I'm underestimating silly string, then. I was not aware that the stuff was all that cohesive.

~J
Austere Emancipator
If you've got long hair, you can test it. See how long the strand has to be until it snaps when hanging on a single hair -- unless the hair snaps first. Considering how sticky it is and how it bends, I'd say monowire wouldn't "cut" it much easier than hair.

Even if it eventually snaps once a long strand is hanging on the wire, you'd clearly see where it's suspended in the air for a while.
Fix-it
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Nov 11 2005, 01:27 PM)
Oh come on, monowire won't cut silly strong under its own weight.

I suppose I'm underestimating silly string, then. I was not aware that the stuff was all that cohesive.

~J

You've obviously never been sprayed with it then...
Foreigner
Fix-it:

Personally, I've always thought that the manufacturers of Silly String accidentally duplicated Spider-Man's web fluid, then marketed the result as a child's fun toy to avoid a lawsuit.

nyahnyah.gif

--Foreigner
eidolon
Somebody got to him. It now reads

"It stops tanks."

"This story modified by request."

Makes me wonder which military service got to him first.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (eidolon)
Somebody got to him.  It now reads

"It stops tanks."

"This story modified by request."

Makes me wonder which military service got to him first.

Old version of the page is still available via Google Cache, but who knows for how long. Unfortunately, it looks like www.waybackmachine.org stopped archiving cockeyed.com back in January of '05, so this page never got included in their records.

As for someone "getting" to him, maybe it's just due to the fact that:

SGT Dennis Hernandez
HHC 2/502 Inf
101st ABN DIV (AASLT)
APO AE 09398

has probably received several hundred cases of the stuff over the past two weeks, and either the sarge or someone in his chain of command figured that was enough.
Kagetenshi
That'd be no reason to take the whole thing down, though.

~J
RunnerPaul
"Reason" seldom has anything to do with what you see on cockeyed.com. It's probably why the site is so popular. smile.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (RunnerPaul @ Nov 15 2005, 09:58 PM)
"Reason" seldom has anything to do with what you see on cockeyed.com. It's probably why the site is so popular. smile.gif

I had never seen one of their pages before but i gathered that immediately upon reading that one. Primarily from the fact that they published that address unmodified. rotfl.gif

P.S. I also found publicly publishing techniques in current use....odd. *shrug*
ShadowDragon8685
You know that the stuff is also useful, not only for finding tripwires and as an emergency tank-stopper, but when combined with the standard-issue Zippo lighter, as a field-expedient incindiary projector.

That stuff is flammable. And not just flammable as in paper flammable, flammable is in damn-near hairspray flammable. And you'll get much better range and control from it than with hairspray. smile.gif
eidolon
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
That'd be no reason to take the whole thing down, though.

~J

Actually, there are a couple of reasons to take it down that immediately spring to mind, and both of them have to do with the fact that the whole thing was an OPSEC violation.

Violation 1: Revealing tactics to the enemy. By pointing out that you use the product in this manner, the enemy learns that they must counter your counter. (Assuming it was a true account.)

Violation 2: Although it appears that it was the web developer at fault and not the Marine, the address of a unit being posted on such an open site is a big no-no. It's like saying "right now we're right here, so if you were looking to bomb us or conduct any other type of operation against us, that's the place."
(Again, assuming it was legit.)
Kagetenshi
Neither reason flies with me, but I understand my opinion is not exactly common and the required explanations and discussions would be solidly off-topic.

Nonetheless, I stand by the quoted statement that the particular reason given by the person I was responding to would be no reason to take the rest of the article down.

~J
eidolon
I wasn't giving them as my reasons, I was giving them as the reasons any military command (Army specifically) would give for pressuring the site to remove the information. (We receive "training" on this crap all the time.)
Kagetenshi
I know.

~J
Fix-it
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
You know that the stuff is also useful, not only for finding tripwires and as an emergency tank-stopper, but when combined with the standard-issue Zippo lighter, as a field-expedient incindiary projector.

That stuff is flammable. And not just flammable as in paper flammable, flammable is in damn-near hairspray flammable. And you'll get much better range and control from it than with hairspray. smile.gif

I'll have to try that...
ShadowDragon8685
Remember Fix-It, test responsibly. Build a nice steel box to direct any accidental explosions away from you. Build levers to set off the can remotely. Remember to test it's ability to STOP firing once you start.
nezumi
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
Remember Fix-It, test responsibly. Build a nice steel box to direct any accidental explosions away from you. Build levers to set off the can remotely. Remember to test it's ability to STOP firing once you start.

Yeah... right.

If we were supposed to test responsibly, God wouldn't have given us garages and empty parking lots.
ShadowDragon8685
I didn't say you had to be LABORATORY responsible.

Just don't do something that will end in a trip to the ER to have searing-hot aluminium shrapnel extracted from your person.
Gothic Rose
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
but if you've got the time it could help save a leg.

-Frank

Or a head.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012