Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HMHVV and Vampires
Lord Ben
post Nov 15 2005, 03:27 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,659

How do you detect a vampire? Can you hook a biomonitor up to them to detect the virus?

Would various sniffers work?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Nov 15 2005, 03:33 PM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

easy. you shoot them with dual panther assault cannons. if the resulting mist is red, they weren't a vampire. if it's normal-looking mist, they're a vampire :P

seriously, i believe an assensing test would at least give you a hint...

+Quote Post
Lord Ben
post Nov 15 2005, 03:45 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Let me just check how much assensing my cybered up street thug has.... :)

+Quote Post
Gothic Rose
post Nov 15 2005, 03:50 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,803

QUOTE (Lord Ben)
Let me just check how much assensing my cybered up street thug has.... :)

I imagine they'd show up on thermographic vision as being only slightly higher than room temperature.

+Quote Post
Lord Ben
post Nov 15 2005, 03:55 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Are they though?

+Quote Post
Lord Ben
post Nov 15 2005, 03:55 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

They're not actually dead right? They just have an odd virus.

+Quote Post
Gothic Rose
post Nov 15 2005, 03:58 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,803

QUOTE (Lord Ben)
They're not actually dead right? They just have an odd virus.

Kind of. But they still exhibit many of the traditional vampiric qualities. Whether they're living or undead means little, considering the setting. This isn't Dungeons and Dragons, after all.

+Quote Post
Squinky
post Nov 15 2005, 03:58 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 7,377

I think the best way to spot a vampire is their chessy 80's styled clothing, and if Corey Feldman is around its a sure thing....

+Quote Post
Lord Ben
post Nov 15 2005, 04:12 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Well, if they're living with a virus they'd have pulses and give off heat plus need calories, etc.

If they're "dead" they just need to drain essence 1/month to live and don't need to eat to sustain their bodies.

Plus it matters a hell of a lot for medicine and surgury, etc.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Nov 15 2005, 05:48 PM
Post #10

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

When a vampire is made, the following things happen:

1. The Victim dies. That's unambiguously described in the Essence Drain Power.

2. The body lies there in a state of "near death".

3. 24 hours later, a newly created critter "revives" and goes on an essence drinking rampage (as described in the Infection power).

So how "human" are vampires? That's really up to the gamemaster. They are not humans who are infected with a virus, they are a virus that wears a human shape. So they could plausibly be room temperature or even colder. When you cut pieces off of them, those pieces turn into mist, flow back, and reassemble themselves into the original vampire piece within seconds.

A physical test is simple - just stab a suspected vampire with a mechanical pencil. If the mark is expelled is less than a second, draw your room sweeper packed with sawdust and fire at point blank. A chemical test is likewise simple - just wave a strontium rod at a guy - if his skin doesn't blister, open fire. What tests are available beyond simply checking to see if they have regeneration or immunity to toxins is up to the gamemaster.

-Frank

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Nov 15 2005, 05:53 PM
Post #11

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

So they could plausibly be room temperature or even colder.

However if they were it would be doubtful that they had uber powers that were not completely magically driven. Hot muscles are fast muscles (edit:or this virus cloud or whatever theory you have, movement is a Rx and >heat means faster Rx), that's why we spend all the energy we do to keep our temperature so high.

+Quote Post
Liper
post Nov 15 2005, 06:07 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,885

blakkie you're forgetting one important rule, this is a game, and this is magic within the game.

+Quote Post
BlackHat
post Nov 15 2005, 06:11 PM
Post #13

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,180

QUOTE (Liper)
blakkie you're forgetting one important rule, this is a game, and this is magic within the game.

:-D Yeah, arguing that real life physics should apply to Shadowrun Vampires holds about as much validity as the idea proposed earlier that they must all be 80's-style rockers and looking for Corey Feldman.

In my experience, Shadowrun has been a lot more about the 80's cliches and grungy butt-rock, then it is about modeling how things really work. ;-)

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Nov 15 2005, 06:12 PM
Post #14

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

The best explanation. :)

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Nov 15 2005, 06:28 PM
Post #15

Prime Runner

What evidence do we have that Vampires have any powers that are not magic driven? They can dismantle themselves at will into a fricking gas, and reassemble themselves at will. Just the fact that they have a shape is a magical effect.

Now, the days of vampires being able to pick up and throw cars is over in SR4 - Vampires no longer go out to strength 30 and beyond. In fact, the SR4 vampire isn't super strong at all - it's juct normal human strength. Vampires are super perceptive, but even at that it's no more than is available to Adepts.

The Shadowrun 4 Vampire runs no faster than an ordinary human, which means that it runs considerably slower than does an Ork, let alone a Troll. Over short distances, an alligator can outrun a human, and a vampire can't even do that.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Lord Ben
post Nov 15 2005, 06:39 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

How often do they have to satisfy their dietary requirement? I know they have to drain essence 1/month but what about just eating/drinking?

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Nov 15 2005, 06:43 PM
Post #17

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
Now, the days of vampires being able to pick up and throw cars is over in SR4 - Vampires no longer go out to strength 30 and beyond. In fact, the SR4 vampire isn't super strong at all - it's juct normal human strength. Vampires are super perceptive, but even at that it's no more than is available to Adepts.

The Shadowrun 4 Vampire runs no faster than an ordinary human, which means that it runs considerably slower than does an Ork, let alone a Troll. Over short distances, an alligator can outrun a human, and a vampire can't even do that.

-Frank

I would grant mighty Vampires a few extra abilites, just like Horrors in ED (not that they play at the same level). But a Vampire who's not betterstrongerfaster than Joe Average is boring.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Nov 15 2005, 07:23 PM
Post #18

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

QUOTE (Liper @ Nov 15 2005, 12:07 PM)

Hey, i mentioned the possibility of magic. :P Although i did leave out that depending on the situation even a magically animated body is likely to run at least a bit hotter than ambient unless it is being magically cooled back down to ambient. Whether it is good ol' celluar endothermic metabolism or 'magic' doing the work to move, a pure loss-less system is extremely unlikely and inefficencies usually end up as heat of some sort.

Magic opens wildass possibilities but unless you are going for the fantastical flair, not to be confused with that FANTASTIC 80's flair :) , at least a bit of effort to avoid crutching on magic is good. :)

+Quote Post
Lord Ben
post Nov 15 2005, 07:40 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Although it'd be fun to play an uneducated person that crutches on magic all the time. I wonder how airplanes flew before there was magic??

I just want a good RP reason to know that my party member is a vamp when I waste him with a full auto shotgun.

+Quote Post
Kleaner
post Nov 15 2005, 08:42 PM
Post #20

Target

Member No.: 7,887

As a game master I feel it is my duty to nourish interparty conflict.

Throw a pool party during the day. If he doesn't want to come, hold it at night, and watch him sink in the pool, and then go into dormancy.

If all that is too much trouble, buy him dinner. Then go to a bar. When he throws up his meal later on, and gets sick off one beer that should start throwing up red flags.

Go ask your street doc, "What never shows up during the day, sinks in water, can't eat or drink normal food or alcohol, and seems to heal really quickly?"

After you waste your buddy, bitch slap your GM for letting one into the game.

+Quote Post
Drace
post Nov 15 2005, 09:01 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,936

but dont forget that there are different strains of HMHVV, some vamps are nosferatu's which are stronger, faster, and im pretty sure have little or no allergies. Also Im not sure if the bouyancy rules are in this version, correct me if Im wrong.

Also the only way to find a vampire is by physical characteristics (mostly for metahuman versions, ie. wendigos, goblins, banshees, and Dzoo-noo-qua), by them never eating and drinking, and by many not going into sunlight often (only a mod allergy, so not lethal really). Also, if there is a mage , shaman, or an adept that can astrally percieve, they can assense them to find out.

Also Im not sure if in this version if they are dual natured, I know Ghouls still are, but I think only the Kreiger HMHVV causes dual natured and only ghouls are made from it.

EDIT: just looked through the book again, your right, nothing about other vamps, cept the wendigo.

+Quote Post
Kleaner
post Nov 15 2005, 09:14 PM
Post #22

Target

Member No.: 7,887

There's only one type of vampire in 4th edition so far. They are not dual natured but can be magically active.

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Nov 16 2005, 01:00 AM
Post #23

Shooting Target

Member No.: 2,032

I'd go with one of the regeneration tests. This can be as simple as, during combat, making perception tests whenever they're hit.

A simple perception test on a good shot against him should do it. No blood on a shot that obviously should have caused some bleeding? It's a vamp!

+Quote Post
Squinky
post Nov 16 2005, 01:04 AM
Post #24

Running Target

Member No.: 7,377

QUOTE (Lilt)
I'd go with one of the regeneration tests. This can be as simple as, during combat, making perception tests whenever they're hit.

A simple perception test on a good shot against him should do it. No blood on a shot that obviously should have caused some bleeding? It's a vamp!

Or an adept with 6 points of mystic armor....or a Sammy with platelet factory and BoneDensity 4....

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Nov 16 2005, 01:06 AM
Post #25

Prime Runner

No, the lack of bleeding isn't a big deal. The big deal comes when after being blown across the room by a grenade, all the pieces turn into a fine mist and flow back. As soon as someone takes a considerable amount of physical damage, their regeration power is going to be obvious to anyone in the room.

-Frank

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:02 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.