Reply to this topicStart new topic
> guns, and their capacities, for gun experts
Aku
post Nov 21 2005, 12:52 AM
Post #1

Running, running, running

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,769

ok, so the question came up to me about the ammo capacity of a internal magazine (the remington 950 to be exact) and wether or not the internal magzine holds 5+ a chambered round, or if that 5 includes a round for a clear chamber (in effect, a reload with a clip chambered being 4 rounds). But i'm not sure.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Nov 21 2005, 01:25 AM
Post #2

Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,775

I always assumed the "clip" sizes referred only to the magazine, not including the chamber.

Of course, strictly speaking, I rather doubt anyone who's ever had anything to do with developing SR's weapons or technical details could tell you what a magazine or a chamber is, so if you're into pure canon, don't worry about any of this to begin with.

+Quote Post
dog_xinu
post Nov 21 2005, 01:31 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,091

Generally speaking it means X+1, or in this case 5+1. Most people dont run around with a round in the chamber in a shotgun (or atleast none of the people I know). But we would chamber the round prior to entering combat situation.

I always say whatever the book says is the clip/magazine but we dont load any more than that. Ie clip size + 1 for the chamber.

To each his own.

+Quote Post
Ed_209a
post Nov 21 2005, 05:06 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,128

Yeah I would agree. If the gunbunny is willing to carry a few loose rounds to top up his mag after charging the weapon. and willing to tell me each time, X+1 ammo is no problem

+Quote Post
Solstice
post Nov 21 2005, 05:13 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,960

QUOTE (dog_xinu)
Most people dont run around with a round in the chamber in a shotgun (or atleast none of the people I know).

I do. What's the point of having it on hand it your not ready? ;)

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Nov 21 2005, 05:50 AM
Post #6

Runner

There's plenty of point, actually.

Keep a shotgun loaded down one or two with a sidesaddle or some loose rounds. You load the shotgun with buck, bird, or slugs depending on what you think is most likely to give you cause to use it and you load the spare rounds in case something else comes along.

For that matter, there's plenty of reason to keep a rifle loaded down one just for safety. Negligent discharges aren't fun, and you can't depend on the safety. There's arguably little need to top off long arms, as any situation in which you'll need one and be able to get to one, you'll have time to rack/charge/chamber it as well. Only weapons that should generally have a round chambered are defensive weapons (ie pistols).

+Quote Post
otomik
post Nov 21 2005, 12:22 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 752

It doesn't always occur to players but when it does it's not really something you can argue against. Whats more tricky is ancillary things like does the pistol fire with the magazine removed (most do except S&W autos), it would be a pretty cool dramatic scene to let players know they can keep an extra in the pipe if you showed someone hand over their magazine then shoot them right in the face with the forgotten chambered bullet.

+Quote Post
brohopcp
post Nov 21 2005, 12:36 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,770

QUOTE (otomik)
"it would be a pretty cool dramatic scene to let players know they can keep an extra in the pipe if you showed someone hand over their magazine then shoot them right in the face with the forgotten chambered bullet."

I guess it could work with people who know nothing about guns, but then why would they be having you remove the magazine?

Anyway, SR isn't RL and even RL isn't RL sometimes, so good luck.

+Quote Post
otomik
post Nov 21 2005, 01:08 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

QUOTE (brohopcp @ Nov 21 2005, 12:36 PM)
Anyway, SR isn't RL and even RL isn't RL sometimes, so good luck.

there's really no reason to think about mag capacities since it won't come up in game, combat reloads are very rare in SR. I never saw enough differences in individual weapons, they could have all been generic for the entire class of weapons with maybe some flavor text describing popular brands and their reputation, mottos, etc.

+Quote Post
Aku
post Nov 21 2005, 01:28 PM
Post #10

ok, so next question, the same player also asked what action it would be to manually load a single into the chamber. He said a former GM made it a simple...

+Quote Post
Critias
post Nov 21 2005, 01:42 PM
Post #11

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

Check under the rules for Revolvers. I think the rule is something like (Quickness x Rounds) for one Simple Action.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Nov 21 2005, 01:42 PM
Post #12

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

A Simple Action is probably a good idea. Consider it a kind of "Ready Weapon" action (sr3.107).

Critias: I think he means working the slide to load a single cartridge into the chamber of a pistol. (Nevermind, it's the Remington 950.)

This post has been edited by Austere Emancipator: Nov 21 2005, 02:04 PM

+Quote Post
Aku
post Nov 21 2005, 01:45 PM
Post #13

Critas, i'm guessing you're thinking of ther ammo table in the gear section, in which it's a complex action for anything other than a clip fed weapon.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Nov 21 2005, 01:53 PM
Post #14

Freelance Elf

Wow, yeah. Just looked it up. (Quickness) rounds for a Complex Action. Huh. I guess I'd say you could pop in a single round, for a Simple Action (assuming a Quickness of 2 or higher).

+Quote Post
Edward
post Nov 21 2005, 02:55 PM
Post #15

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

Doesn’t it say you can manage fully ½ quickness as a simple action

+Quote Post
Raygun
post Nov 21 2005, 08:00 PM
Post #16

Mostly Harmless

Member No.: 176

If you mean cycling a manually-operated repeating firearm (i.e. a bolt action, pump action, lever action, single action revolvers, etc...) to load a cartridge into the chamber from the magazine, my rule has always been a Simple Action to operate the action, then another to fire. This is what I consider "SS mode" to mean.

If you mean loading a magazine (repeating bolt/pump/lever actions, double action revolvers, etc...), that would be Quickness*Rounds per Complex Action.

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Nov 21 2005, 08:25 PM
Post #17

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

Huh. And here I always thought to put the round in the chamber of a clip fed weapon you'd have to put the clip into the gun, and chamber the round. You then take the clip back out, top it off with a round so the clip's full again, and put it back in.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Nov 21 2005, 09:58 PM
Post #18

Horror

Member No.: 7,445

You CAN do that. You can also pull the slide back with a clip out, insert a round, and let the slide go forward again. Depending on the make and model of the gun, this may be easy, difficult, fook-fook difficult, liable to clamp a finger in the mechanisms, or downright impossible. Usually possible, though.

It's easier just to chamber a round and then perform a tactical reload. or if you're preparing for a fight and you have plenty of time, yes, chamber it from the clip, top the magazine off, and put the mag back in.

+Quote Post
otomik
post Nov 21 2005, 10:56 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

one of the things open slide Berettas are designed for (other than flawless ejection, forever) is that I can chamber a round directly, hit slide stop, slap in mag. voila 18 round capacity ;)

You CAN do that. You can also pull the slide back with a clip out, insert a round, and let the slide go forward again. Depending on the make and model of the gun, this may be easy, difficult, fook-fook difficult, liable to clamp a finger in the mechanisms, or downright impossible. Usually possible, though.
yes, usually difficult and annoying as well as totally unadvised by the maker and experts.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Nov 21 2005, 11:15 PM
Post #20

Runner

Just what Beretta are you talking about? Even the largest of the open slide Berettas (92) only has a 15 round mag. 15 + 1 != 18. If you want 17 + 1, it's going to have to be a Px4.

+Quote Post
Solstice
post Nov 22 2005, 12:53 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,960

QUOTE (otomik)
yes, usually difficult and annoying as well as totally unadvised by the maker and experts.

what? I do it all the time. If your familiar with the gun it's not a problem and the +1 can make all difference. Practice.

+Quote Post
Raygun
post Nov 22 2005, 01:31 AM
Post #22

Mostly Harmless

Member No.: 176

QUOTE (otomik @ Nov 21 2005, 10:56 PM)
one of the things open slide Berettas are designed for (other than flawless ejection, forever) is that I can chamber a round directly, hit slide stop, slap in mag. voila 18 round capacity  ;)

Not real difficult to pull off with a 1911, either. Only you get a max of 8-9 rounds (15 if it's a full-size double stack).

QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
Huh. And here I always thought to put the round in the chamber of a clip fed weapon you'd have to put the clip into the gun, and chamber the round. You then take the clip back out, top it off with a round so the clip's full again, and put it back in.

For the record, I was talking about firearms with internal (read: non-detachable) magazines, such as the aformentioned Remington 950.

+Quote Post
otomik
post Nov 22 2005, 03:23 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

QUOTE (Arethusa)
Just what Beretta are you talking about? Even the largest of the open slide Berettas (92) only has a 15 round mag. 15 + 1 != 18. If you want 17 + 1, it's going to have to be a Px4.

the patent for a magazine with follower that gives about +2 rounds
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?...57&RS=5,386,657

The company Mec-Gar of Gardone Val Trompia, Italy (same town as Beretta HQ, go figure!)
http://www.mec-gar.it/index.htm

The 17 rounders are flush fit for the fullsize, sticks out a half an inch in my 92SB Compact. Mecgar is about the only mag company i trust other than OEM, keep up with the Joneses, get yours today :talker:

+Quote Post
Critias
post Nov 22 2005, 04:30 AM
Post #24

Freelance Elf

"Keep one in the pipe for the jackers and the dope fiends," says a cop's sig line on another forum.

"Keep one in the pipe for the trogs and the beetle-heads," says one of my characters, in an SR version of the same sound advice.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Nov 22 2005, 05:06 AM
Post #25

Runner

QUOTE (otomik)
The 17 rounders are flush fit for the fullsize, sticks out a half an inch in my 92SB Compact. Mecgar is about the only mag company i trust other than OEM, keep up with the Joneses, get yours today :talker:

I stand corrected. I was not aware of those. Almost makes the brick size weapon seem sensible.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 04:53 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.