Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hacker Party Tricks, suggestions for hacks
Makar
post Nov 30 2005, 06:35 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,023

I'm new to SR4 and only played SR3 for a couple months prior, so I'm pretty green. In our group I volunteered to play the hacker, since the veterans regarded it with a bit of disdain.

I was hoping that this board could help me brew up some hacking tricks that could be used in combat when the shells start flying. The book was pretty slim on examples of combat hacking, so what are some ideas?

I thought that getting into someone's smartlink to force their gun to drop its clip might be a nice trick, but I wasn't sure how to go about it.

Would I need to...

1) make a Scan check to locate their PAN
2) use Stealth to hide my access from their firewall
3) use Exploit to gain access
4) subscribe to the smartlink's node
4) use Command to tell the smartlink to drop the clip

Is this right? Any other suggestions of ways to affect combat with hacking?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Drace
post Nov 30 2005, 07:55 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,936

Thats how I run it, but to do it in AR, would take too long, so you would have to go VR, which would leave you vulnerable.

Another trick is to hack the security cameras, to give the rest of the team a AR overlay of the enemy.

Or just stay far away in the getaway vehicle or a safe area, and do the hacking from there.

+Quote Post
Liper
post Nov 30 2005, 08:38 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,885

And this is why no self-respecting shadowrunner will have a anything in his body connected to his commlink.

+Quote Post
godboyimmaculate
post Nov 30 2005, 01:34 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 3,273

Without the commlink's protection, wouldn't it be even easier to hack a plain jane smartlink? (Device Rating would most likely be lower than a commlink's firewall)

+Quote Post
Valentinew
post Nov 30 2005, 01:42 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,922

You will be more support staff for the sammies during combat. In addition to the things listed above, you can try to route (or re-route) Lone Star calls, control local security systems, open doors, suppress alarms, contact DocWagon. You're also going to be invaluable in the legwork portion of most runs, looking up a lot of info, hacking systems, etc. If you're into that & have enough :nuyen: , you can also do a little rigging in SR4, which is more active-combat available.

Hope that helps a little. I used to look on deckers with disdain myself, but I'm giving one a shot with the new SR4 rules. We'll see how she works....

+Quote Post
BlackHat
post Nov 30 2005, 03:00 PM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,180

QUOTE (godboyimmaculate)
Without the commlink's protection, wouldn't it be even easier to hack a plain jane smartlink? (Device Rating would most likely be lower than a commlink's firewall)

If that shadowrunner was dumb enough to leave the wireless turned on, without a commlink to protect it... yes.

For :nuyen: 50 he could turn the wireless off and have it skinlinked, so it could communicate with whatever image-linked vision-ware he has on him - hacker-free.

As for hackers. I love em. :-D In SR3, I played almost exclusivly deckers and riggers, dispite all the subsystems they required. In SR4 they took my two favorite character concepts and melded them together into something I like even better. :-) Not having to drop half my essence for a control rig is nice too.

As for your example above... they are right, it would take too long in AR, and if you go VR your body is vulnerable... so get an agent, whose job is to do primarily that same task at your command. That frees up your hacker to do something else while the agent is working.

The agent's going to get less dice than you, but work faster, and if your opponent is dumb enough to have his smartlink system wirelessly connected, you shouldn't expect a lot of resistance.

Also, if you're assuming your opponents have left critical systems like that vulnerable - you could create a lot more havok then just ejecting their clip. Why not just feed the guy edited smartgun data... so he thinks he's shooting on target, but keeps missing (impose a penalty rather than give a bonus), or just cluter whatever the guy is getting his imagelink through (eyes, goggles, contacts, whatever) with ads for simsense pr0n or something so he's essentially fighting blind.

+Quote Post
Aku
post Nov 30 2005, 03:21 PM
Post #7

Running, running, running

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,769

if you can alter his smartlink to make him miss, why not just give hims a BSoD?

+Quote Post
BlackHat
post Nov 30 2005, 03:28 PM
Post #8

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Aku)
if you can alter his smartlink to make him miss, why not just give hims a BSoD?

Give him a BSoD (or my pr0n pop-up idea) and he'll know you're in his system, and shut it down to avoid further damage. Without his smartlink, he can still shoot and kill you.

Subtley mess with his aim, and he might not realize anything is up, and continue to fire "at" you guys, wasting his actions and ammo.

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Nov 30 2005, 03:36 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,773

I think it's an Analyze+Edit agent that people like to use when falsifying live data (i.e.: making electronic illusions).

+Quote Post
MaxHunter
post Nov 30 2005, 04:53 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

From: Montevideo, in the elusive shadows of Latin America
Member No.: 7,727

True.
[ Spoiler ]

+Quote Post
Ranneko
post Nov 30 2005, 06:09 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,984

Remember, going directly for someone's smartlink, without going through a commlink will require you to be within 3 metres of them.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Nov 30 2005, 06:26 PM
Post #12

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

If you can get control of any sort of automated or remotely controlled system it can possiibly be used to your advantage. Lights, Fire alarms, fire supression systems, sprinkler systems, traffic lights, air conditioners, cleaning or gardening drones, coffee makers, stereos, trideos, animate billboards, as well as enemy commlinks could all be hacked and manipulated to create a diversion, distraction, or even a makeshift weapon in some cases. Another trick to try might be to carry a handful of RFID tags designed to broadcast some sort of ghost image or distracting image to other AR users. I've forgotten the size and durability of a basic RFID tag, but I bet it could be thrown and if planned ahead possibly loaded in to a firearm based delivery system (I'm thinking street sweeper here)

+Quote Post
BlackHat
post Nov 30 2005, 06:34 PM
Post #13

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Ranneko)
Remember, going directly for someone's smartlink, without going through a commlink will require you to be within 3 metres of them.

Isn't that only if signal 0 wireless is used? If its skinnlinked, doesn't that mean that there is no wireless activity to hack... you'd actually have to get onto their (skin) network in order to do anything?

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Nov 30 2005, 06:43 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

QUOTE (stevebugge @ Nov 30 2005, 02:26 PM)
Another trick to try might be to carry a handful of RFID tags designed to broadcast some sort of ghost image or distracting image to other AR users.  I've forgotten the size  and durability of a basic RFID tag, but I bet it could be thrown and if planned ahead possibly loaded in to a firearm based delivery system (I'm thinking street sweeper here)

RFIDs have a Signal of 1, but they also cost only 1 :nuyen:. I could see a drone flyover or non-damaging mortar delivery to drop a cluster of confuse-o-tags onto a site.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Nov 30 2005, 06:58 PM
Post #15

Decker on the Threshold

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,156

Or throw a firecracker with about 20-30 of them taped on the outside. Info-frag grenades! :)

+Quote Post
Drace
post Nov 30 2005, 10:17 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

So in a way, it would be an advanced version of a chaff grenade used on targeting sytems and cameras. This would overload the enemies AR, causing them to have to go normal, losing all of their bonuses, as well as having to take the time to shut down their system (only a turn or so, but thats still a turn vulnerable) and have to deal with the sensory overload to boot.

How 'bout a grenade that instead of shooting shrapnel, emits a weak expolsion, sending heavily protected, altered RFID's, that your team has pre-blocked?

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Nov 30 2005, 10:28 PM
Post #17

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Drace @ Nov 30 2005, 06:17 PM)
How 'bout a grenade that instead of shooting shrapnel, emits a weak expolsion, sending heavily protected, altered RFID's, that your team has pre-blocked?

Spam grenades, eh?

+Quote Post
BlackHat
post Nov 30 2005, 10:49 PM
Post #18

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Drace)
So in a way, it would be an advanced version of a chaff grenade used on targeting sytems and cameras. This would overload the enemies AR, causing them to have to go normal, losing all of their bonuses, as well as having to take the time to shut down their system (only a turn or so, but thats still a turn vulnerable) and have to deal with the sensory overload to boot.

Well, one problem is that it wouldn't acutally overload their AR at all. Their commlink can handle it and, techniqually, I think they would have to scan (as a free action) for those RFID transmissions before they saw them anyways. In order to read the data the transmission contain, I think they'd have to willingly use another action. Otherwise everytime Joe-Commoner puts his shirt on, the RFID tag on it would remind him that its a size "large" and was purchased at "CyberSears2070". He doesn't care, but he probably doesn't own a tag-eraser either.

Just because they're aware of a billion stupid RFID tags doesn't mean they have to inspect each and every one. If that were the case, no one could use AR ever... because there is an RFID tag in just about everything you purchase legally.

Imagine going into the mall, where every object is tagged for sercurity and informational purposes. Sure, you could query over them and get a listing of what your favorite store has in stock, what is on sale, etc but you're not going to be confused or blinded just by walking in. In fact, you can probably filter out things you arn't interested in fairly easily... like having it only list items that are in your size, or that are of a certain type of appliance or something.

+Quote Post
Drace
post Nov 30 2005, 10:52 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

You have the RFID tags programmed much like spam nowadays, just have it "invade" the visual screen, covering it up with pointless screens etc, hell if you really want to, have a bunch of images pop-up like ads or flashing lights (that would be really distracting. Maybe have the grenade act as a commlink w/an agent, and all the tags are subscribed.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Nov 30 2005, 10:54 PM
Post #20

Neophyte Runner

When I posted the idea I wasn't thinking sensory overload so much as converting a normal area in to an instant "Spam Zone" with RFID's programmed to broadcast something distracting. The assumption was that they would be most useful in otherwise RFID sterile or tame environments (like offices) where the security guards probably are using normal AR as standard protocol because it is ordinarily advantageous to them for example it shows the employee ID badges, Tags Employee Cubes, etc. It would make them take an action to adjust their settings or suffer from some distraction modifiers.

+Quote Post
BlackHat
post Nov 30 2005, 11:00 PM
Post #21

Great Dragon

QUOTE (stevebugge)
When I posted the idea I wasn't thinking sensory overload so much as converting a normal area in to an instant "Spam Zone" with RFID's programmed to broadcast something distracting. The assumption was that they would be most useful in otherwise RFID sterile or tame environments (like offices) where the security guards probably are using normal AR as standard protocol because it is ordinarily advantageous to them for example it shows the employee ID badges, Tags Employee Cubes, etc. It would make them take an action to adjust their settings or suffer from some distraction modifiers.

yeah, that makes a lot more sense... but on the street, I imagine most people wander aroudn with their "popup-blockers" active.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Nov 30 2005, 11:15 PM
Post #22

Neophyte Runner

They would, it's not a universally useful trick.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Dec 1 2005, 02:23 AM
Post #23

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

and thats good. universally useful tricks have a bad habbit of getting overused...

rather then using a spread of rfids i would just use some electronics and a powerfull transmitter. pop the safety like a grenade and the system starts blasting out visual and audio spam. all this while changing transmission id's and other stuff to fool the firewalls spam filters...

the teams comlinks however would have all the id's the "grenade" uses allready blocked or some other way of iding and ignoring the signal.

mostly its a diffrent theme but the effect would be more or less the same...

+Quote Post
Liper
post Dec 1 2005, 02:56 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,885

You forget everything cyber is DNI interfaced by default now.

You don't have to Skinlink to have your smartgun talk with your smartgun eyeballs, or to talk with your gyro hand, or your imagelink, just mental note done.

You can have em wireless if you want though, but no reason to do so.

+Quote Post
BlackHat
post Dec 1 2005, 03:30 AM
Post #25

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Liper)
You forget everything cyber is DNI interfaced by default now.

You don't have to Skinlink to have your smartgun talk with your smartgun eyeballs, or to talk with your gyro hand, or your imagelink, just mental note done.

You can have em wireless if you want though, but no reason to do so.

Something has to talk to the gun. Unless its a cybergun, its not DNI

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:02 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.