Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Perception & Seeing in the Dark
Zen Shooter01
post Dec 2 2005, 06:20 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,042

So I've noticed that normal vision gets a -6 modifier in complete darkness. However, Perception dice pools are commonly 7 dice or larger. Which means that there is no lighting condition in which a character with a decent Perception skill cannot still see.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JBlades
post Dec 2 2005, 06:24 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,734

Um, specifically cannot still sense. Perception covers hearing, touch, smell, and taste, too. In the dark, I would imagine your hearing them, rather than seeing. Of course, there's thermographic and/or low-light...

+Quote Post
mfb
post Dec 2 2005, 06:24 PM
Post #3

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

well. cannot still sense, in some manner. hearing, smell, taste--you know, all the stuff your camp counselor used to find during his you when you were hiding under your bunk because you didn't want to play "special time" any more.

+Quote Post
Zen Shooter01
post Dec 2 2005, 06:32 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,042

Good point, my bad 8)

Except that causes some problems, because you can't hear or smell a door, or the rifle you need. You can touch them, yes, but they have to be within arm's reach for that.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Dec 2 2005, 06:37 PM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

eh, meh. perception is one of those things that the GM has to take a heavy hand in anyway. as a GM, i wouldn't make someone standing in the middle of the room roll perception to find a door unless they start looking for it (or, at least, i'd assume they're stumbling around in the dark with their hands held out if they roll).

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Dec 2 2005, 06:49 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,773

Like the book says, at some point GM discretion needs to come in to fill the mechanical holes.

If you have a plot clue hidden in the subject matter of a painting on the wall, you might normally ask for Perception rolls (plus applicable visual modifiers). Someone might be rolling upwards of 15 dice on that and easily spot the clue.

But, if the same situation occurs in total darkness and Mr. Superpeepers doesn't have lowlight or thermo, then rather than still rolling 9 dice the GM should probably just assume autofailure, despite what the dice pool says.

Technically you're shafting the guy who spent so much for those eagle eyes, but realistically he can't see his hand in front of his face much less a detail on a painting in a pitch black room.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Dec 2 2005, 06:51 PM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

hey, maybe you could smell the clue. down with anti-smellist GMs!

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Dec 2 2005, 06:52 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,773

*sniffsniff* I smell oilpaints used only in happy trees. Heyy, is that a Bob Ross painting? Someone get me a flashlight.

+Quote Post
Feshy
post Dec 3 2005, 07:53 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

From: Metaplane GEPLK136 (The one with the lizards. You remember the lizards, don't you?)
Member No.: 7,684

I get the feeling there would be much more pungent aromas about than oil paints in the case of Bob Ross. "Dirty Hippy" and "Happy Herbs" being the two that come to mind first.

Not that I didn't love his show, mind you. Just say'n.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:44 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.