Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What do you think of my one-shot?
emo samurai
post Dec 8 2005, 03:00 PM
Post #1

Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,019

It would start with the runners finding that their bank accounts have been looted completely. Their decker will track the money through different companies, including several different "companies" (read: AAA gang accounts) all the way back to the penthouse of a high-rent apartment building. They'll find that the tenants are all former otaku and around the age of 12-15, and they have been expecting the runners to find them the whole time. They were part of a more pragmatic tribe of otaku before the crash, and after the crash, they worked tirelessly to seize control of multiple small companies, including a biotech company that has a contract with multiple megacorps and the UCAS military to modify Awakened creatures for military use. One of the otaku will tongue-in-cheek remark that he was planning on using his company's latest prototype genetic monstrosity against the runners, since most of runs usually end with a sort of "last boss" character and the familiarity would perhaps be comforting to the runners. The whole purpose of stealing their money and running them through a gauntlet was to test their battle skill, detective work, and outright love of money. The reward doesn't matter for a one-shot, but if I were to use it in a larger campaign, I'd probably reward them with lots of money, crazy-good contacts, and free luxury apartments.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Dec 8 2005, 03:35 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,773

Not so much my cup of tea, but if you think your group will have fun with it then more power to you.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Dec 8 2005, 03:51 PM
Post #3

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

Why wouldn't they then just point guns at the 12-15 year old kids, and demand their money back plus interest (and a bunch of 12-15 computer genius slaves)?

+Quote Post
Kremlin KOA
post Dec 8 2005, 03:53 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,650

because the kids would escape and go to lone star...shoot the kids

+Quote Post
Lord Ben
post Dec 8 2005, 04:07 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,659

They're on the penthouse. Helicoptor to the top of the penthouse, blow a hole in the roof and drop into their bedroom with cover smoke. Shoot them in the face with a stick n' shock mind probe them to your hearts content.

Then torture them to test their resistance to pain and whatnot. At least that's what I'd do. Then shoot their families.

+Quote Post
BlackHat
post Dec 8 2005, 04:10 PM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,180

Most players hate being dragged around by their nose-rings.

Its a staple of shadowrun... but usually you find out its a dragon or some important corporation thats using you for some purpose, so you suck it up. With a bunch of kids, your players will be tempted to incapacitate or murder most of them, while mercilessly torturing a few until they either return their money or steal new money and give it to them. Then they murder those kids.

The difference is there isn't a megacorp backing the kids (as iwth some Johnson) nor do they have a legion of fanatical servants (like a Dragon). They're not super powerful, they're just kids - and chances are good that no one outside that tribe gives two shits about what happens to them.

Its pretty much the same as if some cocky decker started f-ing with other shadowrunner's accounts. He's going to die. Little fish, big pond.

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Dec 8 2005, 04:34 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,773

QUOTE (BlackHat)
Most players hate being dragged around by their nose-rings.

Exactly.

Shadowrun is a game about personal power. Neo-anarchists or not, most runners live outside of the law and therefore try to survive on their own terms, using their own merits.

In my experience, this translates into players despising it when their characters are treated like rats in a maze. They hate it even more when there's no cheese at the end: "So, why did we waste our time with this?"

But hey, like I said, if you believe that this sort of thing would entertain your group then I have no room to criticize. :)

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Dec 8 2005, 10:46 PM
Post #8

Dragon

By "no cheese at the end" do you mean satisfactory plot resolution? I'm thinking now that that wouldn't be a good way to end a one-shot campaign and may be a better way to end one gaming session in a longer campaign. And would they be mollified if they were paid several times the money that was stolen? And all the rare biotech/cyberware/magical stuff that the otaku could get for them? If they were led around by the nose, it wouldn't be for the whole multi-session campaign. It would happen pretty much that one time, and hopefully end well.

+Quote Post
Lord Ben
post Dec 8 2005, 11:19 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

But why would they pay them money? I don't get what the Technomancers would get out of luring them to their inner sanctum only to pay them lots of money. What's their goal.

+Quote Post
Gothic Rose
post Dec 8 2005, 11:28 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,803

Have the kids be scions of Deus, and have them trying to nurture the fractured AI back to "health."

That way, they ARE supported by something really powerful and scary.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Dec 9 2005, 01:06 AM
Post #11

Dragon

I'm trying to think of their motive for testing the runners. They're rich already, so they have no real reason to steal chump change from a bunch of professional killers. At this point, they're just an excuse to have a bunch of cutesy kids totally throw off a team of hardened killers with a combination of childish mannerisms and cold, hard cash.

+Quote Post
Gothic Rose
post Dec 9 2005, 01:16 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,803

QUOTE (emo samurai)
I'm trying to think of their motive for testing the runners. They're rich already, so they have no real reason to steal chump change from a bunch of professional killers. At this point, they're just an excuse to have a bunch of cutesy kids totally throw off a team of hardened killers with a combination of childish mannerisms and cold, hard cash.

Seriously. have them be wanting to test the runners to see if they're adequate for future plans involving the restoration of Deus to his full and true power.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Dec 9 2005, 02:07 AM
Post #13

Dragon

HEEHEE!!! SOUNDS AWESOME!!! But why would they need runners to be so close to them? Why not just hire people anonymously? Unless these runners were awesome... in which case I'd have to introduce them after maybe 7-8 campaigns so that the runners can develop a reputation.

+Quote Post
Kleaner
post Dec 9 2005, 10:32 PM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 7,887

I would run it a bit differently. I would have the kids actually part of a corp think tank or experiment and they are trying to get the runners attention into rescuing them. They do this by stealing their money.

The kids are very smart, and have money but are bascialy corp assests with no free will. This is why they want to break out. They can't make it to obvious or the corp will figure out that they are drawing attention to themselves. This would also allow you to give hints if the runners get stuck since the kids want to get rescued.

This will give the runners the challenge of hunting down the kids to either a) rescue them and get their money back, plus a possible reward, or b) rescue them and then torture them for fun/profit.

Either way the runners feel like they have a "choice" in the matter, they lost their money, but now they can decide if they want to rescue the kids, or just take it out on the corp. Regardless they still have to go through the corp to get to the kids. If things turn ugly the kids can also call for help from the corp and claim they didn't know anything about the runners.

Another angle you could take on it, is that the kids really are brats, and they are bored with their day jobs at the corps. They try to liven things up by doing outrageous stunts, and one of them decides that he's going to be the "big man" and mess with shadowrunners. His team mates could then find out and try to stop him. This would allowifor massive confusion for the runners as their bank accounts get raided, then restored then raided again.. or their real sin gets published, or sent to lone star, etc, etc.

It's good to have a number of key shakers and movers in runs each with opposing goals, as it lends to some mystery.

+Quote Post
Lord Ben
post Dec 9 2005, 10:48 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Ah Kleaner, very nice. I'll have to try that plotline out.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Dec 9 2005, 11:17 PM
Post #16

Dragon

That sounds like a very well adapted Ghost in the Shell plotline.

+Quote Post
Squinky
post Dec 10 2005, 12:37 AM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 7,377

Theres no reason the kids need to actaully be present in the room. Have them address the Runners over a trid screen or holo-projector. Otherwise they will most likey be killed....

+Quote Post
Demon_Bob
post Dec 10 2005, 02:10 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,226

QUOTE (emo samurai)

How does this sound?
If they want to test the runners and see it they are good enough for
future employment.
Have the kids launder the money through 3 or 4 banks with some spoofs thrown in. Enough to make it look like someone competent was attempting to launder money, but just not quite good enough to hide the trail from your decker buddy.
Ensure that the deckers money is not stolen that he is just there to find a data trail and get paid. (As you should never rob from someone who is likely to catch you.)
Have the data trail lead to a competating company with enough assists on hand to replace what the Characters lost plus whatever you would pay if a Johnson had hired them.
And so they get richer by eliminating the competition.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Dec 10 2005, 10:31 PM
Post #19

Dragon

That's actually what I was thinking... maybe have it trail through a Yakuza hideout or two.

+Quote Post
Mr. Unpronouncea...
post Dec 12 2005, 06:32 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 770

GM: "...and your bank account's been emptied"

Any of the players in any SR game I've played: "what bank account?"

+Quote Post
BlackHat
post Dec 12 2005, 06:50 PM
Post #21

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Mr. Unpronounceable)
GM: "...and your bank account's been emptied"

Any of the players in any SR game I've played: "what bank account?"

Very true. In order to have a bank account, you have to have a SIN. A fake sin will be detected within the first 5 times you use it.

Shadowrunners tend to deal in certified credsticks - which Otaku would have a hard time accessing.

+Quote Post
Lord Ben
post Dec 12 2005, 07:08 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Bah, there are all the offshore bank accounts, etc listed in the credstick option. I keep all my stuff there because someone can just steal a credstick.

+Quote Post
BlackHat
post Dec 12 2005, 07:42 PM
Post #23

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Lord Ben)
Bah, there are all the offshore bank accounts, etc listed in the credstick option. I keep all my stuff there because someone can just steal a credstick.

How do you withdraw money from your off shore bank account without a SIN?

Offshore bank acocunts keep your information private, but still require identification... identification when gets verified when you withdraw money.

+Quote Post
Lord Ben
post Dec 12 2005, 08:17 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

From the book:

Th e problem with most bank accounts, however, is that
they require a SIN and they keep transaction records, meaning
that all of your purchases create a datatrail. Naturally, however,
enterprising capitalists and criminal institutions have risen to
the challenge. Numerous “off shore” banks provide secure accounts
to legitimate users, but unlike standard banks they keep
their customer information private, do no share transaction
data, and do not report to government authorities. Likewise,
many criminal syndicates have their own black credit institutions
online, providing accounts to anyone who pays the exorbitant
fees, no questions asked, and even off ering lines of credit
(just beware the legbreakers if you’re overdue).

+Quote Post
Mr. Unpronouncea...
post Dec 12 2005, 08:21 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 770

QUOTE (Lord Ben)
...because someone can just steal a credstick.

...from one's cold, dead, hands :D

seriously - it's much easier/safer for a person with a non-identity (i.e. typical shadowrunner) to keep the stereotypical 'matress full of cash' hidden and safe, (especially if they're already maintaining multiple safehouses/caches around town) than a typical electronic bank (especially a no-questions-asked one) is going to be able to provide.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:27 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.