IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Elemental spells not worth it ?, Am I missing something?
ogbendog
post Dec 8 2005, 10:58 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,923

bob that mage is picking spells to cast.

Power bolt has drain of f/2 +1, and is resisted by body
flamethrower has drain of f/2+3, as an indirect spell the target rolls Reaction, then body + inpact/2.

so, for more drain, the target get's more dice to resist (includeing a chance of being utterly missed), on average over twice as many, and the only advanrage is the elemental effect. yipee.

what if you take the elemental effect out of the equasion?

stun bolt drain is f/2-1, resisted by will
powerbolt is f/2+1, resisted by body (Pysical damage)
clout is f/2. resisted by resistance+body + impact and does stun. hmm, I still llike both stun bolt and powerbolt better.

Or am I missing something?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Dec 8 2005, 11:04 PM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 98

I'd say the "added effect" of setting someone on fire isn't something to laugh at. The powerbolt is the lowest-versatility of all combat spells... all it does is damage. If you want a big, flashy, intimidating spell, want to start a fire, want to keep some people pinned down rather than just killing them, want to scorch someone's windshield so they have a hard time following you, or just want to get a cigarette lit in a stylish way, then Flamethrower would be the choice.

If memory serves, the direct combat spells are also Forbidden (i may be wrong). Some characters care about that :)

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Dec 8 2005, 11:23 PM
Post #3

Deus Absconditus

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,566

Yeah. Elemental manips aren't about doing damage, so much as they are about doing damage and something else, too. If you just wanna smoke somebody, a manabolt is your best friend. But if you wanna kill someone while setting a room on fire, stunning them, or melting them into a non-recognizable puddle of goo... hard to beat them elemental spells.

+Quote Post
ogbendog
post Dec 8 2005, 11:53 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,923

there is also the problem that you can add up to +6 dice of fire protection, insulation, etc.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Dec 8 2005, 11:54 PM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

actually, for turning someone into a puddle, i think you really want to use the turn to goo spell.

but yeah, sometimes it's just really handy to be doing elemental damage.

for example, acid can dissolve the evidence of your attack. it can destroy walls without chunks of the wall crashing to the ground and drawing attention.

fire could be used to create light. it can be used to blow up the enemy's weaponry all at once, and do extra damage to them as well.

electricity has a chance to automatically knock people out temporarily (or temporarily short drones).

sure, in raw damage they don't compete, but in terms of versatility... well, sometimes, you really just wanna light something on fire.

+Quote Post
TheHappyAnarchis...
post Dec 9 2005, 12:04 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,978

But is all of that really worth their sheer inefficiency when compared to other spells?

You are looking at doubling their defense, allowing armor and possibly other modifiers to come into play, raising the drain, all for some small versatility.

I am really not so sure it is worth it. Heck, I think elemental effects by themselves would be worth either the increased drain OR the doubled defenses, but not both.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Dec 9 2005, 12:08 AM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

sometimes indirect spells are also what you need... which the elemental spells are.

they have their good points and their bad points. and certainly, i would have to agree that i wouldn't personally choose, say, fireball over powerball (or even stunball) as my main offensive spell. but given the time, i would certainly strongly consider knowing the spell for those "just in case" situations.

(if nothing else, i'd have it handy for conjuring spirits of man... although, technically, you can achieve more or less the same effect for the single target versions by using the elemental attack of some spirits, the element of which is never really specified...)

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Dec 9 2005, 12:18 AM
Post #8

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

Remember also that while an elemental attack can miss, if it doesn't then your target has to resist the whole damage. And counterspelling adds to the damage resistance test, not the defense roll. That means that if your target is an Ork with some magical support laying down heavy counterspelling, you won't be able to even touch him with a powerbolt, while a lightning bolt is quite likely to get a few points of damage through (and maybe short him out for a round or two).

So in both cases, your opponent reduces DV with Body + Counterspelling. With an Indirect attack your target also gets Reaction (or less, they get wound and multiple attacker penalties) and half their impact. They might even get elemental resistances if they happen to be wearing any. But the direct spell actually fails if the Body + Counterspelling roll gets as many hits as your spellcasting + Magic. And the Indirect spell doesn't.

That being said, Clout is a craptastic spell, and I've never seen anyone take it. But lightning bolt is high on everyone's list. Fireball is the spell to cast at Wizkid Gangs.

-Frank

+Quote Post
TheHappyAnarchis...
post Dec 9 2005, 01:20 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Well played, Mr Trollman, well played?

Any consideration for what elements are useful/not useful?
Anyone care to write up a review of the different elemental effects.

Fireball
Firewave

Lighting Bolt
Lightning Ball

Etc etc. Which spells are better single target and which area of effect?

+Quote Post
ElFenrir
post Dec 9 2005, 02:15 AM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,337

I know they have an Ice Sheet spell...but i always wanted to make Ice versions of the Indirect Attack spells...

Would 'Ice Bolt' and 'Wave of Frost' or something be too farfetched?

Secondary effects(helped resisted by Insulation), would be freezing liquids of course, and at higher levels, freezing more kinds of liquids and possibly even jamming stuff succeptible to cold, and maybe frostbite?

Could follow the listed Elemental drain table.

+Quote Post
Hasaku
post Dec 9 2005, 02:26 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 197

QUOTE (TheHappyAnarchist)
Fireball
Firewave

Lighting Bolt
Lightning Ball

Etc etc. Which spells are better single target and which area of effect?

Well, the AoE versions of indirect spells will have the added bonus of being able to hit targets you can't see, such as invisible enemies or targets around corners. Just center the spell at the appropriate point.

As for elements, the electricity penalty is deadly, and probably the most useful secondary effect. Fire is a close second for cooking off ammo and generally freaking people the fuck out (very few would enjoy being set aflame). Acid I've heard is weak, but I'm too lazy to crack open the book right now and give you my own opinion.

+Quote Post
pragma
post Dec 9 2005, 02:54 AM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 7,336

Acid is nothing to be scoffed at -- armor damage makes the opponent easier to take care of and visiion modifiers make it harder for them to take care of you.

+Quote Post
nick012000
post Dec 9 2005, 11:41 AM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 7,398

Electricity's worse, though. It does Stun damage and Physical damage at the same time.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Dec 9 2005, 11:46 AM
Post #14

Prime Runner

As written, Acid and Cold don't really do much. Acid creates "heavy smoke", which is pretty cool. And that's it for the both of them.

Now, Cold has implied abilities to freeze water, and possibly reduce the armor or structure values of metal objects. It even has the implied ability to do no damage to electronics, which is a sweet power for an area attack to have. Acid has the implied ability to turn armor and electronics into worthless slag. Unfortunately, these are all given in fluff text - there are no rules guidelines.

As I understand it, the purpose of the Elemental Effects is supposed to be:

Acid: Covering escapes. It creates bad visibility, which is bad for attackers from both sides. But it happens after your attack, so the first people to get hurt by it are your enemies. An acid attack is like transfering dice from drain resistance to your defense rolls. Note that you get a cloud of smoke regardless of whether you shot a ray or a wave, so there's little benefit in upgrading to the area version.

Cold: Transmute enemies to loot. In addition to whatever use you can squeeze out of it by freezing water or making ferrocrete shatter, it does all its damage without damaging commlinks or armor. The corpses left over will even be pretty. The low level of collateral damage is a bigger deal for an area spell, and you'll have an easier time getting the gamemaster to agree to letting you build an ice flow bridge with an area spell. Frostwave is thus looking pretty good.

Electricity: Knocking fools out. Any victim who gets hit by an electrical attack has a quite good chance of being "temporarily" incapacitated for longer than any fight in SR is likely to last. That's great, and is good both as a single target and as a mass spell.

Fire: Destroying evidence. Fire is the gift that keeps on giving, catching flammables on fire and perpetuating the cycle of abuse. Fire is one of the deadliest things you can do to a combatant, as ammo cook offs are only slightly less deadly than they are in Battletech. Personally, I find that anything I really need fire for, I can do by setting one thing on fire and then walking away. Others feel differently, and want to set fire to entire mercenary companies at one go. Fire has a strong selling point as a single target and area spell, though I personally get more mileage out of the single target version.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Critias
post Dec 9 2005, 11:59 AM
Post #15

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

QUOTE (pragma)
Acid is nothing to be scoffed at -- armor damage makes the opponent easier to take care of and visiion modifiers make it harder for them to take care of you.

The goggles! THEY DO NOTHING!

+Quote Post
Taki
post Dec 9 2005, 11:59 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,343

Thanks for your posts Franck :)

+Quote Post
TheHappyAnarchis...
post Dec 9 2005, 04:57 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Thank you Mr. Trollman. That was exactly what I was looking for.

Now, as a matter of curiosity, Dumpshockers what would you do to make the mechanical effects of the elemental attacks stack up?

I.e. they all seem somewhat useful, but could they be more finetuned?

Maybe make acid actually have mechanical effects for sludging things, or that sort of thing.

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Dec 9 2005, 05:09 PM
Post #18

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,773

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
That being said, Clout is a craptastic spell, and I've never seen anyone take it.

I was actually considering it for sake of flavor. What are your specific objections?

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Dec 9 2005, 06:01 PM
Post #19

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

Don't Elemental Manipulations also bypass the added threshhold for damaging non living targets (example powerbolting a drone is really difficult, while lightning bolting said drone is somewhat easier and more effective)

+Quote Post
PlatonicPimp
post Dec 9 2005, 06:14 PM
Post #20

Running Target

Member No.: 1,320

Steve, you are correct in that assuption.

+Quote Post
Demon_Bob
post Dec 10 2005, 01:47 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,226

How Cold does the spell make things.
I would assume it would be based upon the # of successes.
A Draconic number should be equivalent to dipping the item in liquid nitrogen.
Where one success might cause mild numbness, low grade hyperthermia,
and get your drink to that perfect temp.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Dec 10 2005, 02:24 AM
Post #22

Prime Runner

QUOTE (Azralon)
I was actually considering it for sake of flavor. What are your specific objections?

Well, Clout is on the very short list of things that are in any way effective against flying creatures with Immunity to Normal Weapons and heavy Counterspelling Coverage (which sounds like a pretty rare combination, until you remember that Fire Elementals have conjurers). But... that short list also contains every Elemental version. The Drain Cide on Lightning Bolt is stiff, a Force 3 has a DV of 4, but you're really going for the straight Will + Body (3) instant take-down effect.

Clout inflicts Stun damage, and has an unmodified drain code, so throwing it at force 5-7 is quite conceivable on a regular basis. In fact, throwing it at Force 9 is quite doable in some cases. But it doesn't really do anything, and I don't normally carry around a spell whose soul purpose is that specific. It doesn't really do anything to inanimate objects, it doesn't really do anything that stunbolt doesn't do better in most cases.

If I'm paying for a physical spell, I'm paying for the anti-object capability, and Clout gives that up by being Stun only. I just find it to be a very counter-synnergistic spell.

QUOTE (Demon Bob)
How Cold does the spell make things?

I'm thinking very cold. A Force 6 Coldbolt has a really good chance of simply killing a human in less than three seconds. Liquid Nitrogen isn't cold enough to even start damaging a person for over 2 seconds. So I'm thinking that a Coldbolt is a beam that is very close to -273 degrees C, and higher forces are simply larger and thus capable of more total heat transfer.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Dec 10 2005, 03:21 AM
Post #23

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

QUOTE (Hasaku)
Well, the AoE versions of indirect spells will have the added bonus of being able to hit targets you can't see, such as invisible enemies or targets around corners. Just center the spell at the appropriate point.

Did this carry over? I don't remember reading reading anything about indirect combat spells being able to go around corners in 4e.

+Quote Post
Hasaku
post Dec 10 2005, 03:43 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 197

QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Dec 9 2005, 08:21 PM)
QUOTE (Hasaku @ Dec 8 2005, 06:26 PM)

Did this carry over? I don't remember reading reading anything about indirect combat spells being able to go around corners in 4e.

No, I refuse to have this argument again. Do what you will with it.

edit: Here: Am I missing something with manaball?

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Dec 10 2005, 04:15 AM
Post #25

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
QUOTE (Demon Bob)
How Cold does the spell make things?
I'm thinking very cold. A Force 6 Coldbolt has a really good chance of simply killing a human in less than three seconds. Liquid Nitrogen isn't cold enough to even start damaging a person for over 2 seconds. So I'm thinking that a Coldbolt is a beam that is very close to -273 degrees C, and higher forces are simply larger and thus capable of more total heat transfer.

It's not about temperature, but the rate of heat transfer. Liquid helium actually gets colder than liquid nitrogen, but the cooling rate is even slower, because helium has a very low heat of vaporization.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:52 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.