> Mystic adepts and counterspelling...
Squinky
post Dec 19 2005, 03:44 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,377

Quick question:
If you play a mystic adept character, and use all the magic points at first for adept abilitys, can you still use counterspelling at full value?

My understanding was that your magic rating was only affected for spellcasting and summoning....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Feshy
post Dec 19 2005, 04:35 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

From: Metaplane GEPLK136 (The one with the lizards. You remember the lizards, don't you?)
Member No.: 7,684

I'd say no.

There is no difference in the ability to counterspell between a magic rating 1 character and a magic rating 6 character -- only the dispelling skill matters. However, there *is* a difference between a magic rating 1 character and a magic rating 0 character for counterspelling -- that is, the former can do it and the later can not.

So save at least one point of magic for counterspelling, and you're good to go.

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Dec 19 2005, 03:11 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,773

I concur with Feshy.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Dec 19 2005, 06:05 PM
Post #4

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

The actual wording is that each point you don't invest in physical powers is used for "Magic Based Skills". Even though you don't actually add your magic to Counterspelling a lot of the time, you do when dispelling, so Counterspelling is still a Magic Based Skill. If you alot zero magic to your magical dice pools, you are treated as a burnout - you can't counterspell.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Dec 20 2005, 12:11 AM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

i wouldn't say you're treated as a burnout. i mean, you could still boost your magic and put 1 point into non-adept abilities, could you not?

+Quote Post
Feshy
post Dec 20 2005, 12:37 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

From: Metaplane GEPLK136 (The one with the lizards. You remember the lizards, don't you?)
Member No.: 7,684

QUOTE (Jaid)
i wouldn't say you're treated as a burnout. i mean, you could still boost your magic and put 1 point into non-adept abilities, could you not?

In SR3, you could not.

But then, in SR3, you were pretty much assumed to be at your pinnacle of magical achievement, with nowhere to go but down (well, and initiation.)

SR4 seems to have a different mindset -- no longer are you at risk for losing magic to stim patches or deadly wounds. And runners start weaker and work their way up.

So I think at this point it is open to interpretation whether or not a player can raise his "spellcasting" ability from 0 to 1 if he is a mystic adept (one that still has a magic rating > 1, of course.)

Unless, that is, I've missed a rule somewhere. Which is certainly possible.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 04:45 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.