Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mystic adepts and counterspelling...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Squinky
Quick question:
If you play a mystic adept character, and use all the magic points at first for adept abilitys, can you still use counterspelling at full value?

My understanding was that your magic rating was only affected for spellcasting and summoning....
Feshy
I'd say no.

There is no difference in the ability to counterspell between a magic rating 1 character and a magic rating 6 character -- only the dispelling skill matters. However, there *is* a difference between a magic rating 1 character and a magic rating 0 character for counterspelling -- that is, the former can do it and the later can not.

So save at least one point of magic for counterspelling, and you're good to go.
Azralon
I concur with Feshy.
FrankTrollman
The actual wording is that each point you don't invest in physical powers is used for "Magic Based Skills". Even though you don't actually add your magic to Counterspelling a lot of the time, you do when dispelling, so Counterspelling is still a Magic Based Skill. If you alot zero magic to your magical dice pools, you are treated as a burnout - you can't counterspell.

-Frank
Jaid
i wouldn't say you're treated as a burnout. i mean, you could still boost your magic and put 1 point into non-adept abilities, could you not?
Feshy
QUOTE (Jaid)
i wouldn't say you're treated as a burnout. i mean, you could still boost your magic and put 1 point into non-adept abilities, could you not?

In SR3, you could not.

But then, in SR3, you were pretty much assumed to be at your pinnacle of magical achievement, with nowhere to go but down (well, and initiation.)

SR4 seems to have a different mindset -- no longer are you at risk for losing magic to stim patches or deadly wounds. And runners start weaker and work their way up.

So I think at this point it is open to interpretation whether or not a player can raise his "spellcasting" ability from 0 to 1 if he is a mystic adept (one that still has a magic rating > 1, of course.)

Unless, that is, I've missed a rule somewhere. Which is certainly possible.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012