Reply to this topicStart new topic
> threshold, stupid rules interpretation
Apathy
post Dec 20 2005, 04:49 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,046

Okay, I'm sure this must be covered somewhere. But looking it up in several places seemed to give me conflicting information.

If I'm trying to do a very difficult task (threshold = 3), do I need 3 hits, or 4 (one above threshold) to succeed?

I would guess only 3 hits would be needed, since 1 hit on easy (threshold = 1) tasks seems to be sufficient, but I wanted to be sure.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ogbendog
post Dec 20 2005, 04:50 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,923

one thing that I missed at first was that "net hits" is hits above threshold.

+Quote Post
Apathy
post Dec 20 2005, 04:53 PM
Post #3

Running Target

yeah, so if I need 'net hits' on a difficult task, doesn't that mean at least 4? If the treshold is 3, don't I need more than 3 to have net hits?

+Quote Post
Sphynx
post Dec 20 2005, 05:03 PM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 3,437

Nope, Threshold of 3 = 3 hits total.

+Quote Post
ogbendog
post Dec 20 2005, 05:04 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,923

no, you still only need 3

net hits matter for extra stuff. Like, when shooting, you add your net hits to the damage of the wpn. so if you shoot a 4L gun and get 4 successes, the target dodges and gets 1 success, you have 3 success, or 2 net hits, thus +2 damage.

not +3 damage.

if each net hit, for example, makes your task go faster, 3 successes is base time, 4 or more is faster than base time.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Dec 20 2005, 05:08 PM
Post #6

Decker on the Threshold

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,156

Except that now with Extended Tests, anything with a duration on it actually cannot have net hits taken from base time, at least I'm pretty sure you can't anymore. The only exception to this is Permenant Spells, where you can use net hits on the spellcasting test to reduce base time, but then that decreases the effectiveness of your spell.

+Quote Post
Apathy
post Dec 20 2005, 05:39 PM
Post #7

Running Target

ok, thanks

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Dec 20 2005, 06:55 PM
Post #8

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

QUOTE (ogbendog)
no, you still only need 3

net hits matter for extra stuff. Like, when shooting, you add your net hits to the damage of the wpn. so if you shoot a 4L gun and get 4 successes, the target dodges and gets 1 success, you have 3 success, or 2 net hits, thus +2 damage.

not +3 damage.

if each net hit, for example, makes your task go faster, 3 successes is base time, 4 or more is faster than base time.

Really? Is that how it works?
Shoot.
*goes and rereads SR4*

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Dec 20 2005, 07:03 PM
Post #9

pg 139: 3. Make the Opposed Test
If the attacker scores more hits than the defender (the defender wins on ties), the attack hits the target. Otherwise, the attack misses. Note the net hits (the number of hits that exceed the defender's hits).

So in your example, the attacker has 4 hits and the defender has 1 hit. The attack hits, since the attacker has more. The net hits, or the number of hits that exceed the defender's hits (definition above) is 3. 4 exceeds 1 by 3. Also sometimes written as 4-1=3. (I'm not being snarky, here, I'm trying to be clear)
So that would imply that the net hits is 3, not 2. So +3 damage. It would seem that +0 damage is not possible from this example.

This is the fundamental mechanic, it should not be confusing, AT ALL! Why must this conversation exist!?

Please be gentle in showing me the error of my ways. I just got the book.

edit: The burst example on pg 143 also has 3 hits vs 2 hits giving +1DV to an attack. This all leaves me very confused as to when, exactly, I need to exceed a number and when I need to meet a number.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Dec 20 2005, 07:40 PM
Post #10

Decker on the Threshold

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,156

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk @ Dec 20 2005, 11:03 AM)
This is the fundamental mechanic, it should not be confusing, AT ALL!  Why must this conversation exist!?

The reason the conversation exists is that ties go to different people depending on the circumstance. For castng illusion spells or other spells for that matter ties go to the attacker (the caster). For melee ties go to the defender. For ranged ties go to the attacker. When going against a threshold ties go to the attacker, but net hits are still calculated by how much you exceed the Threshold; therefore meeting the Threshold gives you 0 net successes but you still succeed.

That all make sense? Well then I guess you don't need this thread.

Oh, and I'm actually right on all that, yes?

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Dec 20 2005, 07:46 PM
Post #11

I have no idea.
Except I thought for ranged, ties went to the defender. My quote above was from the section on the Combat Sequence, so should apply to all combat actions.

So, when you're rolling against a threshold, you just need 0 net successes to succeed (aka, tied go to the "attacker" as you say) but positive net successes are good.

So much for a simplified mechanic. :S

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 03:25 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.