IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> So where'd you get your degree from?, Doctors' credentials-crayon diplomas ok?
nezumi
post Dec 27 2005, 03:46 PM
Post #1

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,760

I'm running a game and one of the PCs wants to be a cybersurgeon. I remember reading stats for a doc in one of the SR books, but I can't remember which. That's sort of invalidated by the fact that I'm sure I lost the book anyway.

I DO recollect that he had biotech(surgery) 8(10) or something like, cyberware b/r at 6, and had knowledge skills in physiology, biology, pharmaceuticals and some other things. Does anyone have minimum stats, equipment and cyber for a reasonable doc (illegal or otherwise)? What about for a street clinic doc?

Thanks for the help. I'll probably put whatever is posted together and put it on the SR wiki so I don't have to ask when I forget where I posted this question in a few years.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Dec 27 2005, 03:59 PM
Post #2

Chrome to the Core

Member No.: 5,715

From SR2:

Street Doc
Biological Sciences: 6
Biotech: 8
Etiquette (Street): 3
Negotiation: 4

From Sprawl Sites:

Paramedic
Biotech: 5
Car: 3
Cybertechnology: 1
Firearms: 2
Unarmed Combat: 2

That's all I can find right off the bat.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Dec 27 2005, 04:09 PM
Post #3

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,996

I always sort of figured it went something like:

1) I took a First Aid Class at the Community Center
2) I got the First Aid Merit Badge in Sprawl Scouts, maybe have a basic certification.
3) I have enough training to work as a Lifguard or Schoolyard Supervisor
4) RN / EMT Level Training (Probably minimum for a Street Doc, but you'd have to be desparate to go there)
5) Nurse Practicioner or Doctor begininning Residency
6) Experienced, skilled doctor.
7) Highly experienced, very skilled doctor at a top clinic.
8) Leader in the medical field
9) Famous, published Research Doctor near the top of his or her field.

For SR/4 Multiply by 2/3 for ratings, combine 1&2 and 3&4 descriptions

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Dec 27 2005, 05:43 PM
Post #4

A 6 in a skill equals a doctorate? 9 years of dedicated training? Not in my game. Does that mean someone with a 6 in electronics has a PhD in electrical engineering (and that that level of skill is what's required to do the things those people do?)

I've found it a bit more reasonable that a 6 is about equal to a bachelor's degree in those technical areas, just because otherwise every shadowrunner ever has a PhD equivalent, which seems a bit of a stretch.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Dec 27 2005, 06:05 PM
Post #5

Chrome to the Core

Member No.: 5,715

QUOTE (stevebugge)
I always sort of figured it went something like:

1) I took a First Aid Class at the Community Center
2) I got the First Aid Merit Badge in Sprawl Scouts, maybe have a basic certification.
3) I have enough training to work as a Lifguard or Schoolyard Supervisor
4) RN / EMT Level Training (Probably minimum for a Street Doc, but you'd have to be desparate to go there)
5) Nurse Practicioner or Doctor begininning Residency
6) Experienced, skilled doctor.
7) Highly experienced, very skilled doctor at a top clinic.
8) Leader in the medical field
9) Famous, published Research Doctor near the top of his or her field.

For SR/4 Multiply by 2/3 for ratings, combine 1&2 and 3&4 descriptions

I usually consider that scaling for Attributes, not skills.

In SR1-3, you can increase your skill rating as much as you want. As long as you've got the karma for it, it's good to go.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 27 2005, 06:24 PM
Post #6

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

From SRComp:

Paramedic:

Biotech 5
Car 3
Etiquette 2 (Street 3)
Pistols 2
Unarmed Combat 2
Stealth 3

Knowledge:

Biology 3
Cybertechnology 2
Magic Background 2
Medicine 6

Street Doc:

Biotech 7 (Cybertechnology Implantation 8, Surgery 8)
Etiquette 2 (Street 3, Medical 3)
Negotiation 4
Computer 2 (Cybernetics 5) (Note that this is illegal by canon.)

Knowledge:

Biology 6
Cybertechnology 8
Drugs 6
Medicine 6

~J

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Dec 27 2005, 06:36 PM
Post #7

Thank you! That looks pretty complete. So anything else a legit doc would have that a streetdoc wouldn't? Hospital administration?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 27 2005, 06:45 PM
Post #8

Manus Celer Dei

Drop Negotiation and Street Etiquette, increase Medical Etiquette, add things like hospital administration, medical ethics, and possibly triage, then replace Biotech(Cybertech implantation) with the relevant specialty. It's possible that they might have slightly lower general Biotech with higher specialties—less call for jacks-of-all-trades in the legit field.

~J

+Quote Post
Method
post Dec 27 2005, 07:09 PM
Post #9

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

I believe there was a Cybersurgeon NPC in MrJLBB with more specialized skills.

I am without my books or I would post.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Dec 27 2005, 07:13 PM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (nezumi)
A 6 in a skill equals a doctorate? 9 years of dedicated training? Not in my game. Does that mean someone with a 6 in electronics has a PhD in electrical engineering (and that that level of skill is what's required to do the things those people do?)

I've found it a bit more reasonable that a 6 is about equal to a bachelor's degree in those technical areas, just because otherwise every shadowrunner ever has a PhD equivalent, which seems a bit of a stretch.

No, an MD would have 4's, 5's, and 6's in several skills for the Doctorate. The MD should encompass at a minimum the active skills of Biotech, Ettiquette, Interrogation (probably specialized in getting patients to describe symptoms), plus knowledge skills like Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biology, Phsyiology, Anatomy.

A college degree encompasses a lot more than just a single skill at a proficient or highly proficient level. So while both a PHD and an experienced installer with a technical certificate may have an Electronics skill of 6 for the how to put together an alarm system, the PHD would also have enough knowledge skills to understand how and why said alarm system works. Or in another sense it's the deifference between being able to follow a recipe and actually knowing how to cook.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Dec 27 2005, 08:29 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (Method)
I believe there was a Cybersurgeon NPC in MrJLBB with more specialized skills.

Oh hey! Thanks for reminding me! I love that book, it still smells new because I never use it...

Docwagon Paramedic:
Athletics 2
Biotech 5 (First aid 7)
Car 5
Etiquette 3 (street 4)
Pistol 2
Anatomy 4
Medicine 3
Pharmacy 4
Physiology 3
Roleplaying Games 3
A bunch of other stuff...

Elite Black Clinic Cybersurgeon
Biotech 5 (cybertechnology implantatnion 10, Srgery 9, transimplant surgery 9)
Computer 3 (Cybernetics 6)
Etiquette 4 (corp 5 medical 6)
Anatomy 5
Cybertech 8
Medicine 9
nanotech 6
pharmacology 7
A bunch of other stuff...

Steve, I would agree with you in theory and based on what the book says. Rating 6 is very rare and quite impressive according to the book. But mechanics-wise, it simply doesn't make sense. Presumably most deckers have a BS or, at most, an MS (like modern day programmers), yet you won't find any with less than 6 in computers. A decker who has less than say 4 is completely useless for more than the most mundane tasks. So, ignoring the other skills you might get during your education (which are not completely relevant to the original question), saying an MD is equivalent to 6 in biotech is like saying it's okay if a doctor botches one out of twenty operations. To reflect the real world, he'll need a higher skill rating, irrelevant as to what the book says should be enough.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Dec 27 2005, 09:43 PM
Post #12

Neophyte Runner

Actually depending on how you apply the complementry skill mechanics some or all of those knowledge skills could actually provide more dice than a higher skill rating. Just a simple example would be a Doc with a Biotech 8 using skill only uses 8 dice for an implant test. Using complentary skills a Doc with 6 Biotech and 6 in physiology could use 9 dice for the same test. Of course if you aren't using the complementary skills rule then you're right you have to adjust skill ratings accordingly

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 27 2005, 10:26 PM
Post #13

Manus Celer Dei

QUOTE (nezumi @ Dec 27 2005, 03:29 PM)
A decker who has less than say 4 is completely useless for more than the most mundane tasks.

Not remotely true. Decking values gear over skill to such a degree that anything above a 1 can get things done with enough money.

And I think you mean botching one in every 46656 operations.

~J

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Dec 28 2005, 04:07 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (nezumi @ Dec 27 2005, 03:29 PM)
A decker who has less than say 4 is completely useless for more than the most mundane tasks.

Not remotely true. Decking values gear over skill to such a degree that anything above a 1 can get things done with enough money.

You'd basically be throwing two dice for every test, one for your skill and one for your hacking pool. Even if your tools reduce everything to TNs of 2 (which means it's already a pretty easy task or it is some pretty hard core equipment), that isn't something I'd put a lot of money on. For things like programming tasks, which is what I was trying to draw a comparison to, computer skill becomes even more important.

And I think you mean botching one in every 46656 operations.

Errr... Yeah. That's what I meant.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:14 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.