IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I have an awesome idea for a technomancer.
emo samurai
post Dec 28 2005, 03:45 AM
Post #1

Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,019

He'll be extremely allergic to polluted air. Because of this, he'll live in a car other runners nickname "the coffin." It'll be a box filled with pure water, and all incoming air will be purified into simply nitrogen and oxygen.

He rarely, if ever, appears anywhere in the car that houses his actual body and tells anybody; he'll simply have a network of other (cheap) cars that serve as nodes in his personal area network, or simply uses the comlink of a passing car.

A common tactic for him to use is to use the comlinks of other cars in an area where there is a lot of radio traffic. No one really knows where his meat body is. Strung together, his fleet of cars could could stretch out his PAN over 100 kilometers.

Every week, he moves his coffin and body from one car to another. He's really fucking paranoid, but this keeps him really safe. That, and he's a really good technomancer. And rigger. He HAS to be able to drive if he lives like that.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mintcar
post Dec 28 2005, 02:25 PM
Post #2

Karma Police

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,505

Just wierd enough for an eccentric NPC. Far too wierd for an actuall PC, in my view. Cool idea. :)

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Dec 28 2005, 03:15 PM
Post #3

Dragon

How is it too weird? He just doesn't meet people. And he interacts with the party through his assistants, most of them aspiring actors, who speak the lines he tells them to speak. I don't think it really matters how weird he is as long as he's viable as a player character.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Dec 28 2005, 03:21 PM
Post #4

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

It's weird enough that you should ask your GM about it. It's weird enough that it might not work very well with what your GM has in mind.
Sometimes, players come to GMs with character concepts and the GM just wants to say, "That's a very interesting idea. I think you should write a short story. Now make a character for my game."
Then again, if your GM thinks it will work, no problems.
But I think that it is weird enough that you should make sure your GM wants you to play something like that; not assume it'll be fine, or try to argue your character concept into a campaign where it might not fit well.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Dec 28 2005, 03:22 PM
Post #5

Dragon

He's a very cyberpunk sort of weird.

+Quote Post
ogbendog
post Dec 28 2005, 03:58 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,923

Make user at least one is offroad, incase there is a run in the wilderness.

have drones also

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Dec 28 2005, 10:45 PM
Post #7

Dragon

Drones will be his eyes, ears, and hands.

+Quote Post
Tarko
post Dec 28 2005, 11:07 PM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 8,110

Altho thi character seems a great one for a NPC (as stated above)
/me think tha as a player concept it is less viable... not utterly useless, but restrictive, heck, REALLY restrictive.

the three main cons I have against this concept are those:
1)What happen when physical infiltration comes up?
2)Drones are a liability
3)I just don't get how this character spent his chilhood...

Otherwise, if you do run in the city,and, dont need to go outside the plexe or inside a corp; it seems O-K.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Dec 29 2005, 12:13 AM
Post #9

Dragon

He has sprites; signal range for drones isn't much of an issue.

+Quote Post
Tarko
post Dec 29 2005, 12:16 AM
Post #10

Target

yea, but considering the amount of drones/cars he own... how much sprite can he keep up?

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Dec 29 2005, 12:37 AM
Post #11

Dragon

Well, he'll use the PAN's of other cars most of the time. The only time he'll use his own cars is if he needs to hack in a place far away from radio links. And he'll use registered sprites for when the runners go into a no-radio zone.

+Quote Post
Tarko
post Dec 29 2005, 01:07 AM
Post #12

Target

Technomancers can only have one unregistred sprite at all time
+
registred srites=CHA

Thats not THAT much (altho pretty fair). You think youre Technomancer will be able to keep up in all situation with that many sprites?

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Dec 29 2005, 01:15 AM
Post #13

Dragon

He'll pilot the drone he uses to rig up his cars. His other sprites will pilot cloaked drones with smg's and grenades. Which will be AWESOME. So, he'll have at most 2-3 registered sprites at any time.

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Dec 29 2005, 02:13 AM
Post #14

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

If it could work for Mr. Ng in Stephenson's Snow Crash, I suppose it could work in SR.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Dec 29 2005, 02:34 AM
Post #15

Dragon

You know what? That may have been an influence. But the thing is, the whole "coffin" idea came first, and I got that from Daredevil and the Trigun manga, where Legato spends like 3/4 of his time in a coffin. Then I thought that it would be unwieldy for a coffin to be going around all the time on robotic legs, so I figured I'd just put it in a car. And then if it was in a car to begin with, he could just find several ways to keep himself perfectly safe from any metahuman contact to compound on the whole "eternally separated from the world at large" thing. But yeah, Ng had some influence.

+Quote Post
Tarko
post Dec 29 2005, 02:39 AM
Post #16

Target

You DID know that he could be inside a car and not a coffin by making the car air-tight with air filters, right?

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Dec 29 2005, 02:53 AM
Post #17

Dragon

But he'll constantly changing which car he's in while out of sight. This is so that no one ever knows where he is at any time, only, and this is after much local PAN searching, which car is holding the node that's broadcasting to where you are. He has, like, 9 or 10 cars and he changes the location of the coffin at random. He's REALLY paranoid. He'll even try his best to keep as many of his cars as possible in areas with lots of radio traffic so that he even the locations of his individual nodes are secret. The cars containing the nodes on his bigass personal network will have robots with holograms of actual people at the wheel. They'll drive aimlessly but always within the law. And did I mention that he's addicted to simsenses? It's not much of a monetary drain, of course, since he can hack their copy protection easily, but still. He'll be the crazy survivalistic mountain man of the wireless age.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Dec 29 2005, 04:39 AM
Post #18

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

OMG THAT'S AWESOME!!!11!!!eleven!!!!

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Dec 29 2005, 05:48 AM
Post #19

Dragon

OMG THAT'S AWESOME!!!11!!!eleven!!!!

That's, like, two sarcastic posts in one day on my threads for the sole purpose of annoying me. Is there a pattern, and why is it there?

And if you hate my character that much, can you please actually give me a reason instead of needlessly parodying 1337 speak?

+Quote Post
Fix-it
post Dec 29 2005, 06:28 AM
Post #20

Creating a god with his own hands

Member No.: 3,364

To put this in the nicest way possible...
try developing your characters more before sharing. See if they work whithin the rules of the game, and if they are feasible whithin the spirit of the game. You have been posting quite a few of these "OMG AN IDEAR" threads, and it's getting kind of annoying to the less patient people on the boards. This board is not your personal notepad.

Ontopic/
For roleplaying purposes, I would guess this character would be next to worthless for anything but computer-related stuff. Unless you had a really generous GM, you'd be worthless in most social situations and combat.

+Quote Post
boskop-albatros
post Dec 29 2005, 06:32 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,827

good point fix-it, but I'm not one to talk--my character Ideas are basically totally psychotic

+Quote Post
Critias
post Dec 29 2005, 06:52 AM
Post #22

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

Sorry, just rubs me the wrong way when someone strolls in and, like, half the threads in the SR4 forum are suddenly him asking some silly question, or sharing his latest awesome new idea (and every third one is all in caps).

If you've got a new character idea, great. Or gear question. Or gear idea. Or want to know when a book is out. Or demand to know when a book is out. Or -- whatever other reason you can come up with to talk to everyone about something.

But maybe you could just have one big fat thread called "One Big Fat Thread Full of Emo Samurai's Questions and Ideas," or something. That way all your topics, many of which are answerable with five minutes of common sense and think-it-through being applied before the "Add Topic" button was hit (and many others of which don't require any input from DS as a whole, anyways, like this one, where you posted your idea and then went on to defend it and expand on it instead of listen to what anyone said), wouldn't clutter the place up so freakin' bad.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Dec 29 2005, 04:32 PM
Post #23

Dragon

I still think my dude is awesome. He's just... err... specialized. And I don't think anyone's ever complained about there being a specialized computer geek/rigger. Also, I think a quirkily antisocial character adds flavor. Having simply polite, know-all-the-different-kinds-of-etiquette people makes things boring. I just can't have an idea without taking it the whole way.

As for the whole "babble with Emo Samurai" thread, wouldn't making a thread specifically about me be more obnoxious than simply making subject threads like everyone else?

+Quote Post
Ragna
post Dec 29 2005, 04:55 PM
Post #24

Target

Member No.: 8,109

As stated early in this thread, it would make a cool npc, but I dont think it would make a great PC. Seems that the whole campaign would be about you doing this and that, and lots of cool stuff. While the other in your playing group would just be left out, cause they dont have a cross dressing troll, human looking orc poser.

Shoot me if im wrong though!

Great npc though!

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Dec 29 2005, 05:05 PM
Post #25

Dragon

Why can't he just be there for when they need hacking? He won't even BE there half the time. He won't monopolize game time; he'll give the random intelligent, if utterly surly and sarcastic comment. If his weirdness draws attention away, it's only because he's weird and hacks from a car 50 miles away, and the closest link to him is hidden in traffic. If the uniqueness is a problem, that's only because the other players weren't creative enough. Of course, I might be biased, since I played in a D&D group that had an anthropomorphic dragon, a ghost, a doppleganger paladin of freedom, a gargoyle, and a wild mage whose mishaps were so great they were Deus Ex Machina plot points.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:34 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.