Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I have an awesome idea for a technomancer.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
emo samurai
He'll be extremely allergic to polluted air. Because of this, he'll live in a car other runners nickname "the coffin." It'll be a box filled with pure water, and all incoming air will be purified into simply nitrogen and oxygen.

He rarely, if ever, appears anywhere in the car that houses his actual body and tells anybody; he'll simply have a network of other (cheap) cars that serve as nodes in his personal area network, or simply uses the comlink of a passing car.

A common tactic for him to use is to use the comlinks of other cars in an area where there is a lot of radio traffic. No one really knows where his meat body is. Strung together, his fleet of cars could could stretch out his PAN over 100 kilometers.

Every week, he moves his coffin and body from one car to another. He's really fucking paranoid, but this keeps him really safe. That, and he's a really good technomancer. And rigger. He HAS to be able to drive if he lives like that.
mintcar
Just wierd enough for an eccentric NPC. Far too wierd for an actuall PC, in my view. Cool idea. smile.gif
emo samurai
How is it too weird? He just doesn't meet people. And he interacts with the party through his assistants, most of them aspiring actors, who speak the lines he tells them to speak. I don't think it really matters how weird he is as long as he's viable as a player character.
Moon-Hawk
It's weird enough that you should ask your GM about it. It's weird enough that it might not work very well with what your GM has in mind.
Sometimes, players come to GMs with character concepts and the GM just wants to say, "That's a very interesting idea. I think you should write a short story. Now make a character for my game."
Then again, if your GM thinks it will work, no problems.
But I think that it is weird enough that you should make sure your GM wants you to play something like that; not assume it'll be fine, or try to argue your character concept into a campaign where it might not fit well.
emo samurai
He's a very cyberpunk sort of weird.
ogbendog
Make user at least one is offroad, incase there is a run in the wilderness.

have drones also
emo samurai
Drones will be his eyes, ears, and hands.
Tarko
Altho thi character seems a great one for a NPC (as stated above)
/me think tha as a player concept it is less viable... not utterly useless, but restrictive, heck, REALLY restrictive.

the three main cons I have against this concept are those:
1)What happen when physical infiltration comes up?
2)Drones are a liability
3)I just don't get how this character spent his chilhood...

Otherwise, if you do run in the city,and, dont need to go outside the plexe or inside a corp; it seems O-K.
emo samurai
He has sprites; signal range for drones isn't much of an issue.
Tarko
yea, but considering the amount of drones/cars he own... how much sprite can he keep up?
emo samurai
Well, he'll use the PAN's of other cars most of the time. The only time he'll use his own cars is if he needs to hack in a place far away from radio links. And he'll use registered sprites for when the runners go into a no-radio zone.
Tarko
Technomancers can only have one unregistred sprite at all time
+
registred srites=CHA

Thats not THAT much (altho pretty fair). You think youre Technomancer will be able to keep up in all situation with that many sprites?
emo samurai
He'll pilot the drone he uses to rig up his cars. His other sprites will pilot cloaked drones with smg's and grenades. Which will be AWESOME. So, he'll have at most 2-3 registered sprites at any time.
RunnerPaul
If it could work for Mr. Ng in Stephenson's Snow Crash, I suppose it could work in SR.
emo samurai
You know what? That may have been an influence. But the thing is, the whole "coffin" idea came first, and I got that from Daredevil and the Trigun manga, where Legato spends like 3/4 of his time in a coffin. Then I thought that it would be unwieldy for a coffin to be going around all the time on robotic legs, so I figured I'd just put it in a car. And then if it was in a car to begin with, he could just find several ways to keep himself perfectly safe from any metahuman contact to compound on the whole "eternally separated from the world at large" thing. But yeah, Ng had some influence.
Tarko
You DID know that he could be inside a car and not a coffin by making the car air-tight with air filters, right?
emo samurai
But he'll constantly changing which car he's in while out of sight. This is so that no one ever knows where he is at any time, only, and this is after much local PAN searching, which car is holding the node that's broadcasting to where you are. He has, like, 9 or 10 cars and he changes the location of the coffin at random. He's REALLY paranoid. He'll even try his best to keep as many of his cars as possible in areas with lots of radio traffic so that he even the locations of his individual nodes are secret. The cars containing the nodes on his bigass personal network will have robots with holograms of actual people at the wheel. They'll drive aimlessly but always within the law. And did I mention that he's addicted to simsenses? It's not much of a monetary drain, of course, since he can hack their copy protection easily, but still. He'll be the crazy survivalistic mountain man of the wireless age.
Critias
OMG THAT'S AWESOME!!!11!!!eleven!!!!
emo samurai
OMG THAT'S AWESOME!!!11!!!eleven!!!!

That's, like, two sarcastic posts in one day on my threads for the sole purpose of annoying me. Is there a pattern, and why is it there?

And if you hate my character that much, can you please actually give me a reason instead of needlessly parodying 1337 speak?
Fix-it
To put this in the nicest way possible...
try developing your characters more before sharing. See if they work whithin the rules of the game, and if they are feasible whithin the spirit of the game. You have been posting quite a few of these "OMG AN IDEAR" threads, and it's getting kind of annoying to the less patient people on the boards. This board is not your personal notepad.

Ontopic/
For roleplaying purposes, I would guess this character would be next to worthless for anything but computer-related stuff. Unless you had a really generous GM, you'd be worthless in most social situations and combat.
boskop-albatros
good point fix-it, but I'm not one to talk--my character Ideas are basically totally psychotic
Critias
Sorry, just rubs me the wrong way when someone strolls in and, like, half the threads in the SR4 forum are suddenly him asking some silly question, or sharing his latest awesome new idea (and every third one is all in caps).

If you've got a new character idea, great. Or gear question. Or gear idea. Or want to know when a book is out. Or demand to know when a book is out. Or -- whatever other reason you can come up with to talk to everyone about something.

But maybe you could just have one big fat thread called "One Big Fat Thread Full of Emo Samurai's Questions and Ideas," or something. That way all your topics, many of which are answerable with five minutes of common sense and think-it-through being applied before the "Add Topic" button was hit (and many others of which don't require any input from DS as a whole, anyways, like this one, where you posted your idea and then went on to defend it and expand on it instead of listen to what anyone said), wouldn't clutter the place up so freakin' bad.
emo samurai
I still think my dude is awesome. He's just... err... specialized. And I don't think anyone's ever complained about there being a specialized computer geek/rigger. Also, I think a quirkily antisocial character adds flavor. Having simply polite, know-all-the-different-kinds-of-etiquette people makes things boring. I just can't have an idea without taking it the whole way.

As for the whole "babble with Emo Samurai" thread, wouldn't making a thread specifically about me be more obnoxious than simply making subject threads like everyone else?
Ragna
As stated early in this thread, it would make a cool npc, but I dont think it would make a great PC. Seems that the whole campaign would be about you doing this and that, and lots of cool stuff. While the other in your playing group would just be left out, cause they dont have a cross dressing troll, human looking orc poser.

Shoot me if im wrong though!

Great npc though!
emo samurai
Why can't he just be there for when they need hacking? He won't even BE there half the time. He won't monopolize game time; he'll give the random intelligent, if utterly surly and sarcastic comment. If his weirdness draws attention away, it's only because he's weird and hacks from a car 50 miles away, and the closest link to him is hidden in traffic. If the uniqueness is a problem, that's only because the other players weren't creative enough. Of course, I might be biased, since I played in a D&D group that had an anthropomorphic dragon, a ghost, a doppleganger paladin of freedom, a gargoyle, and a wild mage whose mishaps were so great they were Deus Ex Machina plot points.
Darkness
That aside, he is completely useless in any situation in which you need to get close to a host, that has no connection to the outside.

I assume that you need to get close to most of the truly interesting hosts, which need physical access.
Since he can't leave his car(s) – or just doesn't want to – he can't help his team in those situations.
And drones won't be an option either. Such hosts are surely to be protected by high class jamming equipment.

As you say yourself, he will just be needed when hacking is called for. But he can't do every hacker job that will come along. So most Teams will more likely take a hacker who is more flexible.

The new Matrix has separated mostly the need for high mental attributes, which nearly automatically resulted in low physical ones. Now, all you need is good hard and software. True, Logic will help also, but you can still have decent physical attributes, and thus will be able to accompany your team on a run (and most likely, you must).
Thus the old (enter here the hindrance of your choice) decker/hacker will find himself in a shortage of jobs.

But he is an interesting NPC.
TheHappyAnarchist
QUOTE (emo samurai)
Why can't he just be there for when they need hacking? He won't even BE there half the time. He won't monopolize game time; he'll give the random intelligent, if utterly surly and sarcastic comment. If his weirdness draws attention away, it's only because he's weird and hacks from a car 50 miles away, and the closest link to him is hidden in traffic. If the uniqueness is a problem, that's only because the other players weren't creative enough. Of course, I might be biased, since I played in a D&D group that had an anthropomorphic dragon, a ghost, a doppleganger paladin of freedom, a gargoyle, and a wild mage whose mishaps were so great they were Deus Ex Machina plot points.

There are many who do not consider such a group creative, but neurotic.

However, there are those that find such things fun and amusing. Obviously you are in that category, as is your group. More power to you.

Most of us like to play more realistic, sensible characters, especially in shadowrun.
Many of us look down on that kind of game, because that much weirdness tends to cause disconnects that harm roleplaying potential, and cause escalation races to be the weirdest/most original/craziest character. It's not our style and we don't like it and don't want it in our game.

So basically, you posted on a forum for comments on your characters. You got a lot of comments. You got some people pointing out that it was a bit silly, likely did not fit in very well with most campaigns and was not really particularly useful/realistic. Also is horribly limited.

They are posting from unique veiwpoints, some nicer than others. If it is the kind of game you play, go for it as long as it is the kind your group plays. When you post online you open to comments, some will be negative.
emo samurai
Dude, I'm just explaining my character; any sort of defensive tone is conjecture. And you are right; he can't do most of the useful stuff a hacker is needed for.
emo samurai
And as a side note, can technomancers go into VR? If they can't get that +2 bonus that hackers get, they are at a huge disadvantage.
Tarko
Not only they can, but the book state that they do most of the time.
Mr.Platinum
Hey dude I like the Idea but impratical for playing, well you can do johnson meets in the matrix.
Tarko
Don't get me wrong. I wasnt saying Techno were ALWAYS in VR, only that it was in that state they were feeling best.

As much as I love lying in bed and read there, go on the internet or what not, I still have to go groceries or go to the bathroom. Altho, as soon I got a chance, I go back to bed.
SpasticTeapot
This guy is a better NPC.
Write him up, and stick him in the Wiki.
That way, I can use him in my 'runs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012