Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help with a campaign setting, Atlanta, GA, CAS
SunJester
post Dec 28 2005, 01:56 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,106

After a long hiatus from playing Shadowrun (mostly 1st edition, and a few sessions of 2nd) I have convinced my current gaming group to give it a try. Part of this was driven by the release of the new rules set and part of it by my boredom with things d20.

I would like to set my campaign in Atlanta. I am from the south and things southern are more familiar to me. It also seems like it would be an interesting backdrop for a game.

I don't mind filling in all of the details necessary for an interesting setting in Atlanta, but I would like to avoid violating established cannon where possible. This may be too big of a request, but I was wondering if all of you who have been keeping up with the setting could give me some insight into key facts about the Atlanta of 2070 that I should know about. For that matter, any key facts about the CAS that I should know about. Is it just like the UCAS but with different faces?

Let me know if this is just too big a request and I should pick up a few books. But if this is the case please point out which books would be particularly useful.

Thanks in advance.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Oracle
post Dec 28 2005, 01:59 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

From: Earth - Europe - AGS - Norddeutscher Bund - Hannover
Member No.: 7,624

I'll start with everything that I can remember: Atlanta is part of the CAS. ;)

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Dec 28 2005, 03:22 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,773

The Atlanta metroplex and surrounding sprawl is basically an island of civilization in the middle of the savage, mostly-unpopulated forest that is the rest of Georgia.

.... It's pretty much the same in 2070. <rimshot>

There was a brief writeup on Atlanta in one of the old sourcebooks, and unfortunately I don't recall which one. Prolly the Neo-Anarchist's Guide to North America, if I had to put my money anywhere.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Dec 28 2005, 03:31 PM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

Atlanta got a write up in Shadows of North America too.

+Quote Post
SunJester
post Dec 28 2005, 03:32 PM
Post #5

Target

QUOTE (Oracle)
I'll start with everything that I can remember: Atlanta is part of the CAS. ;)

OK....thanks, but still looking for a bit more.

One tidbit that I have picked up, DocWagon was founded in Atlanta. Is there any indication in any cannon material that they have move their base of operation? If not, are they a big enough corp to have their own arcology?

Would the presence of DocWagon corp headquarters in Atlanta have helped to transform it into a global medical powerhouse? Could it be the new hot location for biomedical / pharma research?

If so, that offers a tremendous amount of resources for a campaign. Based on the state of industry today, there are a few major players and then multiple start ups that are producing pharma intermediates and going through expensive and long term testing for drug qualification. I can see runs centered around:

1) Stealing a formulation being developed
2) Corrupting pharma test data being collected
3) Rescuing a pharma test 'volunteer'
4) Stealing a list of current test subjects
5) Inducing untraceable disease / death in multiple test subjects so that a drug under development fails the test
6) Stopping ecoguerillas striking at a lab doing animal testing
7) Striking at a lab doing animal testing for ecoguerillas

Just off the top of my head.

But I still need help with Atlanta, so please, if you have a moment, rack your memory for me.

+Quote Post
SunJester
post Dec 28 2005, 03:35 PM
Post #6

Target

QUOTE (Azralon)
The Atlanta metroplex and surrounding sprawl is basically an island of civilization in the middle of the savage, mostly-unpopulated forest that is the rest of Georgia.

.... It's pretty much the same in 2070.  <rimshot>

Even for a southern boy, that was funny!

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Dec 28 2005, 03:36 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,773

QUOTE (SunJester)
Would the presence of DocWagon corp headquarters in Atlanta have helped to transform it into a global medical powerhouse? Could it be the new hot location for biomedical / pharma research?

The Center for Disease Control is in Atlanta, so you've already got that "in" working for you.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Dec 28 2005, 05:12 PM
Post #8

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

Also, the Red Team from the Red vs. Blue "Cola Wars" is headquartered in Atlanta. Throw as many Halo references as you want.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Deamon_Knight
post Dec 29 2005, 03:36 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,784

Don't forget that Atlanta is the Capital of CAS.

+Quote Post
MaxHunter
post Dec 29 2005, 02:01 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

From: Montevideo, in the elusive shadows of Latin America
Member No.: 7,727

I don't know much about canon Atlanta. (I had also thought about playing a campaign there and quit because of lack of info)

However, the pharmacological/biotech angle is great - Pity I had not thought of it. We are running a campaign in Boston now and it's OK. - Well, back in track I think you could place there subsidiaries of other biocorps there to play ball. For example Biogene (Yamatetsu IMO), the elven corp Telestrian, and UniOmni with the Azt help. I think those things, together with the CDC make up for a nice setting.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Max

+Quote Post
JongWK
post Dec 29 2005, 03:57 PM
Post #11

Shooting Target

Group: Validating
Member No.: 3,992

Universal Omnitech had a... disagreement with Aztechnology, and parted ways. Further details in System Failure.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 01:03 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.