Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help with a campaign setting
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
SunJester
After a long hiatus from playing Shadowrun (mostly 1st edition, and a few sessions of 2nd) I have convinced my current gaming group to give it a try. Part of this was driven by the release of the new rules set and part of it by my boredom with things d20.

I would like to set my campaign in Atlanta. I am from the south and things southern are more familiar to me. It also seems like it would be an interesting backdrop for a game.

I don't mind filling in all of the details necessary for an interesting setting in Atlanta, but I would like to avoid violating established cannon where possible. This may be too big of a request, but I was wondering if all of you who have been keeping up with the setting could give me some insight into key facts about the Atlanta of 2070 that I should know about. For that matter, any key facts about the CAS that I should know about. Is it just like the UCAS but with different faces?

Let me know if this is just too big a request and I should pick up a few books. But if this is the case please point out which books would be particularly useful.

Thanks in advance.
Oracle
I'll start with everything that I can remember: Atlanta is part of the CAS. wink.gif
Azralon
The Atlanta metroplex and surrounding sprawl is basically an island of civilization in the middle of the savage, mostly-unpopulated forest that is the rest of Georgia.

.... It's pretty much the same in 2070. <rimshot>

There was a brief writeup on Atlanta in one of the old sourcebooks, and unfortunately I don't recall which one. Prolly the Neo-Anarchist's Guide to North America, if I had to put my money anywhere.
stevebugge
Atlanta got a write up in Shadows of North America too.
SunJester
QUOTE (Oracle)
I'll start with everything that I can remember: Atlanta is part of the CAS. wink.gif

OK....thanks, but still looking for a bit more.

One tidbit that I have picked up, DocWagon was founded in Atlanta. Is there any indication in any cannon material that they have move their base of operation? If not, are they a big enough corp to have their own arcology?

Would the presence of DocWagon corp headquarters in Atlanta have helped to transform it into a global medical powerhouse? Could it be the new hot location for biomedical / pharma research?

If so, that offers a tremendous amount of resources for a campaign. Based on the state of industry today, there are a few major players and then multiple start ups that are producing pharma intermediates and going through expensive and long term testing for drug qualification. I can see runs centered around:

1) Stealing a formulation being developed
2) Corrupting pharma test data being collected
3) Rescuing a pharma test 'volunteer'
4) Stealing a list of current test subjects
5) Inducing untraceable disease / death in multiple test subjects so that a drug under development fails the test
6) Stopping ecoguerillas striking at a lab doing animal testing
7) Striking at a lab doing animal testing for ecoguerillas

Just off the top of my head.

But I still need help with Atlanta, so please, if you have a moment, rack your memory for me.
SunJester
QUOTE (Azralon)
The Atlanta metroplex and surrounding sprawl is basically an island of civilization in the middle of the savage, mostly-unpopulated forest that is the rest of Georgia.

.... It's pretty much the same in 2070.  <rimshot>

Even for a southern boy, that was funny!
Azralon
QUOTE (SunJester)
Would the presence of DocWagon corp headquarters in Atlanta have helped to transform it into a global medical powerhouse? Could it be the new hot location for biomedical / pharma research?

The Center for Disease Control is in Atlanta, so you've already got that "in" working for you.
FrankTrollman
Also, the Red Team from the Red vs. Blue "Cola Wars" is headquartered in Atlanta. Throw as many Halo references as you want.

-Frank
Deamon_Knight
Don't forget that Atlanta is the Capital of CAS.
MaxHunter
I don't know much about canon Atlanta. (I had also thought about playing a campaign there and quit because of lack of info)

However, the pharmacological/biotech angle is great - Pity I had not thought of it. We are running a campaign in Boston now and it's OK. - Well, back in track I think you could place there subsidiaries of other biocorps there to play ball. For example Biogene (Yamatetsu IMO), the elven corp Telestrian, and UniOmni with the Azt help. I think those things, together with the CDC make up for a nice setting.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Max
JongWK
Universal Omnitech had a... disagreement with Aztechnology, and parted ways. Further details in System Failure.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012