IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Drone Rigger Questions, how to build a DR character?
Gomez
post Jan 26 2006, 04:46 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,558

I am building a Drone Rigger for the first time and I have several questions about the how’s and what’s of creating one.

What computer programs and skills does a DR 'need'?

Looking over the drone stats in the back of the book they have Pilot and Sensor ratings. Can these be improved?

Some drones start with Autosoft programs already built in like Maneuverability, Clearsight, and Targeting. Does a Drone require an Autosoft program to do be able to an action? IE: can a drone fire a weapon without the Targeting Autosoft, fly from point A to B without the Maneuverability soft.

Do Drones have or need any matrix attributes such as System, Response, Signal, and Firewall?

Are there limits on how high of a program rating a drone can have?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mdynna
post Jan 26 2006, 05:43 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,145

1) A DR needs Scan, Encrypt, Decrypt, Sniffer, ECCM, and possibly Spoof and ECM if you want to frag with other Riggers. Basically, any program related to the Electronic Warfare skill. A Rigger needs a good Electronic Warfare skill, and a Piloting skill for every kind of drone he will have (Ground Craft for wheeled drones, Rotor Craft for Rotor drones etc.)

2) No, a drone doesn't *need* an autosoft, but the Autosoft adds to the Pilot rating of the drone when performing those actions. Considering how low many Pilot ratings are, Autosofts are a must if you want your drones to be useful, especially the Targeting ones.

3) Drones already have "assumed" Matrix attribs equal to their Pilot rating. However, most of the time this means a half-decent Hacker or guy with a Directional Jammer can totally screw up your drones. A Drone's Matrix attribs can be improved just like a Commlink's (and probably should).

4) A Drone cannot run a program above its Pilot rating, or System rating if that was improved.

+Quote Post
Gomez
post Jan 26 2006, 05:53 PM
Post #3

Target

Thank you.

That was very helpful and cleared up several things for me.

+Quote Post
BlackHat
post Jan 26 2006, 06:38 PM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,180

QUOTE (mdynna)
1) A DR needs Scan, Encrypt, Decrypt, Sniffer, ECCM, and possibly Spoof and ECM if you want to frag with other Riggers.

Is there an ECM program in SR4?

+Quote Post
mdynna
post Jan 26 2006, 08:03 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

No, not a "program". I guess I should have said "ECM device"

+Quote Post
Gomez
post Jan 26 2006, 08:12 PM
Post #6

Target

Another Question

The Drone Rigger in the book has the Autosofts; Targeting (Heavy Weapons) 4 and Targeting (Automatics) 4. I guess for the weapons on his Drones (a LMG and a Automatic). But Drones are considered vehicles and would require the Gunnery Skill to fire the weapons mounted on them. The character even has Gunnery 4 as a skill. So am I correct in believing that the Autosoft; Targeting (Gunnery) would work for all the weapons mounted on his drones?

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Jan 26 2006, 08:14 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,006

I read that to mean Targeting(Weapon Type) is the replacement for the Gunnery Skill.

+Quote Post
Gomez
post Jan 26 2006, 08:18 PM
Post #8

Target

Ok got it.

So the Drone Rigger can load his drones with Autosofts from his Commlink as needed.

+Quote Post
September
post Jan 26 2006, 11:49 PM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 8,185

Why Decrypt?

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Jan 26 2006, 11:52 PM
Post #10

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (BlackHat)
Is there an ECM program in SR4?

Bingo.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jan 27 2006, 01:17 AM
Post #11

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

remeber that with digital wireless signals, ECM is as much about putting out oddball datapackages as it is about noice. and a general radio transmitter can turn into a ecm unit if you just feed it the right waveforms and similar, if it can put out the frequency range needed.

ECM is a very broad term...

and with a D/A converter hooked to the right kind of radio, a program can do a whole host of funny things...

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Jan 27 2006, 03:20 AM
Post #12

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

The drone actually uses its automatics skill to fire its weaponry, not gunnery. The rigger uses gunnery to fire the drone's weaponry if that's what he is doing. So a gunnery autosoft is almost completely useless. But the Rigger will want a very high gunnery skill.

I'm just pointing that out because Gunnery wasn't actually on the list of skills for a Drone Rigger to have, and of course it should be.

Gunnery, Electronic Warfare, Pilot: justabouteverything, Hardware. You can get by without any other skills, but of course life is kind of crappy as a Shadowrunner if you don't have at least a little bit of the Influence and Stealth groups.

Why Decrypt?

Decrypt should be on the list with Spoof as one of those programs used to screw with other riggers. If you just intend to pilot wanjinas around, you don't need it. But if you want to take control of other riggers' shiznit, you do.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Gomez
post Jan 27 2006, 03:45 PM
Post #13

Target

Ok,
Lets take a look at the drones themselves.

For example.

GM-Nissan Doberman
The discription says that it is a medium sized crawler drone that is equally effective during daytime or nighttime. It comes equiped with one weapon (LMG or smaller) and Clearsight 3 and Targeting 3 Autosoft programs.

Handling:0
Accel: 10/25
Speed: 75
Pilot: 3
Body: 3
Armor: 6
Sensor: 3
Avail: 6
Cost: 3,000

Let's say it comes with a Ingram White Knight Light Machine Gun which normally costs 2,000 and the two Autosoft programs cost 600 each. Thats 2600 for the gun and the programs. I guess the drone itself is costs only 400???

So I would think that drone CAN be equiped with a LMG or small but that is already stated in the Weapon Mounts section on page 341.

Now the next thing. How is it that the drone is "equally effective during daytime or nighttime". Does it's sensors have low-light vision, etc? It doesn't say. But wait there is a section on Sensors on page 325! Lets look at that.

Sensor Packages. I guess the Doberman would be considered a small drone as there is no catigory for medium drones.

Mounted/Small Drone
Capacity: 5
Signal: 4

Page 212 says that a Signal Rating of 4 has a 1 km Signal Range. Boy lots of flipping around for stuff in this book.

Let's say that I want to increase the Sensor Rating of the Drone. Humm I don't know if you can do that because I cannot find it.

Sensor Functions take up Capacity in the Sensor Package. Ok. I want this guy to be good at night so there should be a night vision or thermographic function that I can add right?? Nope none here! One page 324 there are vision enhancements but can you add them to a Sensor Package?

One more thing.
I want to improve the Pilot rating on my drone. Page 321 gives me the costs. The drone already has a rating of 3 and to increase it to 4 costs 2500. This is getting pretty expensive! ;)
The Drone Rigger on page 92 has a GM-Nissan Doberman drone (well two) under his Vehicles & Drones section. Pilot 4, check. Signal 4, check. Firewall 4 and Response 4? Wait do I have to buy Firewall and Response for my drone as well or is it what ever the Pilot rating is? Can I increase the Firewall and not the Pilot rating if I want?

So many Questions. I think I need to write a Drone Buying Cheat Sheet to help myself out.

+Quote Post
milspec
post Jan 27 2006, 04:18 PM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 7,658

QUOTE (Gomez @ Jan 27 2006, 11:45 AM)
Let's say it comes with a Ingram White Knight Light Machine Gun which normally costs 2,000 and the two Autosoft programs cost 600 each. Thats 2600 for the gun and the programs. I guess the drone itself is costs only 400???

This made no sense to me. We ruled that it came with a weapon *mount* (a value of 2,500Y), not an actual weapon. The drone is ~1,000Y more expensive that the rest, IMHO because of its 6 points of armor.

An LMG would increase its availability and decrease it legality considerably.

milspec

+Quote Post
milspec
post Jan 27 2006, 04:29 PM
Post #15

Target

QUOTE (Gomez)
I want to improve the Pilot rating on my drone. Page 321 gives me the costs. The drone already has a rating of 3 and to increase it to 4 costs 2500. This is getting pretty expensive! ;)
The Drone Rigger on page 92 has a GM-Nissan Doberman drone (well two) under his Vehicles & Drones section. Pilot 4, check. Signal 4, check. Firewall 4 and Response 4? Wait do I have to buy Firewall and Response for my drone as well or is it what ever the Pilot rating is? Can I increase the Firewall and not the Pilot rating if I want?

I would think you need to pay for the total cost of Agent 4 in order to get the functionality of Rating 4 Pilot. That means 10,000Y, not 2,500Y.

You would also need a System and Response increase to handle that rating 4 program: 2,000Y for System 4, and Response 4 for 2,000Y.

The reason you want an increased Firewall is because your stock Reponse 3 / Signal 3 / Firewall 3 / System 3 drone is pretty easy for a good hacker to break into:

Hacking Skill 5 + Exploit Program 5 + HotVR 2 = 12 dice (4 hits on average)
Firewall 3 + Admin Account 6 = extended test of 9.

That means in 3 combat *passes* the Hacker has compromised your drone. And he gets 3 passes per turn in Hot VR.

In summary: the drone is basically a commlink that walk/flies and shoots. You need to upgrade all of the commlink-related attributes in order to upgrade its Pilot, and you should probably have a Rating 5 Firewall on anything you really care about. (And Rating 5 Analyse to help detect break-ins, with requires a Rating 5 System and Response to run it on.)

Drones are expensive. They can also shoot LMGs at max range from the sky.

milspec

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Jan 27 2006, 05:10 PM
Post #16

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

QUOTE (milspec)
I would think you need to pay for the total cost of Agent 4 in order to get the functionality of Rating 4  Pilot.  That means 10,000Y, not 2,500Y.

You would also need a System and Response increase to handle that rating 4 program: 2,000Y for System 4, and Response 4 for 2,000Y.

For a Drone, I think Pilot = System. You don't buy system seperately. The Pilot is the dedicated System, a Drone Pilot can't leave the drone to act as an Agent in another node.

Out of Chargen:
Pilot 4 = 10,000 (Availability 12...)
Firewall 4 = 2,000
Response 4 = 2,000
Signal 5 = 1,000
ECCM 4 = 4,000 (To prevent Jamming)
Decrypt 4 = 4,000 (Useful for capturing the surrounding signal traffic)
Stealth 4 = 4,000 (To help against finding and tracking your drone)
Autosoft Maneuver 4 = 2,000
Autosoft Targeting 4 = 2,000
Autosoft Clearsight 4 = 2,000
Autosoft Defense 4 = 2,000
Autosoft Electronic Warfare 4 = 2,000

So a nice rating 4 drone, not including standard program costs, can run you 37,000 + the base cost of the drone. Add a nice sensor package for another 4,000 and you are getting to 45,000 for a very nice drone you are still going to want to upgrade as soon as you can to get a better pilot on it.

+Quote Post
milspec
post Jan 27 2006, 05:17 PM
Post #17

Target

QUOTE (DireRadiant)
For a Drone, I think Pilot = System. You don't buy system seperately. The Pilot is the dedicated System, a Drone Pilot can't leave the drone to act as an Agent in another node.

Nice catch - thanks.

milspec

+Quote Post
Gomez
post Jan 27 2006, 05:21 PM
Post #18

Target

For programs like ECCM, Decrypt, Stealth, etc. Can the Rigger just download the programs from his Commlink into his drones as needed? Or do you have to purchase each program for each Drone?

+Quote Post
BlackHat
post Jan 27 2006, 05:25 PM
Post #19

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Gomez)
For programs like ECCM, Decrypt, Stealth, etc. Can the Rigger just download the programs from his Commlink into his drones as needed? Or do you have to purchase each program for each Drone?

You have to crack them first. But the rules make this retardedly easy.

Buy them once, share them with everything.

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Jan 27 2006, 05:29 PM
Post #20

Shooting Target

QUOTE (BlackHat @ Jan 27 2006, 12:25 PM)
QUOTE (Gomez @ Jan 27 2006, 12:21 PM)

You have to crack them first. But the rules make this retardedly easy.

Buy them once, share them with everything.

To removed the retardation of ease I recommend that you read the rules, which are vague, as requiring you to crack for each working copy you make. So cracking isn't so much removing the protection as it is adapting the copy to the target by making a single copy of the license protection count.

Non-retarded GMing begets non-retarded RAW. :)

+Quote Post
BlackHat
post Jan 27 2006, 05:31 PM
Post #21

Great Dragon

Still doesn't take very long. Spending a few hours cracking software for a drone rather than spending thousands of nuyen re-buying it all is a no brainer.

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Jan 27 2006, 05:34 PM
Post #22

Shooting Target

QUOTE (BlackHat @ Jan 27 2006, 12:31 PM)
Still doesn't take very long. Spending a few hours cracking software for a drone rather than spending thousands of nuyen re-buying it all is a no brainer.

With the open ended wording of the rules for cracking, software worth using should take close to an 8 hour day or more to copy for midling skill crackers. It doesn't make a huge difference with one or two drones with one or two programs. But outfitting an army of 8 or 10 drones with 4 or 5 programs will take a couple of months of dedicated work instead of less than a week.

+Quote Post
mdynna
post Jan 27 2006, 05:51 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

QUOTE (Gomez)

This is something that, again, isn't really clear. I would say "yes" but if you download a program to your drone it cannot be running on your Commlink. If you want it to be able to run on both locations then you must make a copy of the program according to the rules given for pirating software.

+Quote Post
Demon_Bob
post Jan 27 2006, 06:03 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,226

for those insane hackers I add an ICE program.

+Quote Post
Abschalten
post Jan 28 2006, 02:20 PM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 7,655

I think a Databomb program is a cheap but nice investment. Set it up on your drones and have it go off on intruders AND alert you to the attempt. Inconvenient for hackers, painful for Technomancers.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:30 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.