Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drone Rigger Questions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Gomez
I am building a Drone Rigger for the first time and I have several questions about the how’s and what’s of creating one.

What computer programs and skills does a DR 'need'?

Looking over the drone stats in the back of the book they have Pilot and Sensor ratings. Can these be improved?

Some drones start with Autosoft programs already built in like Maneuverability, Clearsight, and Targeting. Does a Drone require an Autosoft program to do be able to an action? IE: can a drone fire a weapon without the Targeting Autosoft, fly from point A to B without the Maneuverability soft.

Do Drones have or need any matrix attributes such as System, Response, Signal, and Firewall?

Are there limits on how high of a program rating a drone can have?
mdynna
1) A DR needs Scan, Encrypt, Decrypt, Sniffer, ECCM, and possibly Spoof and ECM if you want to frag with other Riggers. Basically, any program related to the Electronic Warfare skill. A Rigger needs a good Electronic Warfare skill, and a Piloting skill for every kind of drone he will have (Ground Craft for wheeled drones, Rotor Craft for Rotor drones etc.)

2) No, a drone doesn't *need* an autosoft, but the Autosoft adds to the Pilot rating of the drone when performing those actions. Considering how low many Pilot ratings are, Autosofts are a must if you want your drones to be useful, especially the Targeting ones.

3) Drones already have "assumed" Matrix attribs equal to their Pilot rating. However, most of the time this means a half-decent Hacker or guy with a Directional Jammer can totally screw up your drones. A Drone's Matrix attribs can be improved just like a Commlink's (and probably should).

4) A Drone cannot run a program above its Pilot rating, or System rating if that was improved.
Gomez
Thank you.

That was very helpful and cleared up several things for me.
BlackHat
QUOTE (mdynna)
1) A DR needs Scan, Encrypt, Decrypt, Sniffer, ECCM, and possibly Spoof and ECM if you want to frag with other Riggers.

Is there an ECM program in SR4?
mdynna
No, not a "program". I guess I should have said "ECM device"
Gomez
Another Question

The Drone Rigger in the book has the Autosofts; Targeting (Heavy Weapons) 4 and Targeting (Automatics) 4. I guess for the weapons on his Drones (a LMG and a Automatic). But Drones are considered vehicles and would require the Gunnery Skill to fire the weapons mounted on them. The character even has Gunnery 4 as a skill. So am I correct in believing that the Autosoft; Targeting (Gunnery) would work for all the weapons mounted on his drones?
Brahm
I read that to mean Targeting(Weapon Type) is the replacement for the Gunnery Skill.
Gomez
Ok got it.

So the Drone Rigger can load his drones with Autosofts from his Commlink as needed.
September
Why Decrypt?
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (BlackHat)
Is there an ECM program in SR4?

Bingo.
hobgoblin
remeber that with digital wireless signals, ECM is as much about putting out oddball datapackages as it is about noice. and a general radio transmitter can turn into a ecm unit if you just feed it the right waveforms and similar, if it can put out the frequency range needed.

ECM is a very broad term...

and with a D/A converter hooked to the right kind of radio, a program can do a whole host of funny things...
FrankTrollman
The drone actually uses its automatics skill to fire its weaponry, not gunnery. The rigger uses gunnery to fire the drone's weaponry if that's what he is doing. So a gunnery autosoft is almost completely useless. But the Rigger will want a very high gunnery skill.

I'm just pointing that out because Gunnery wasn't actually on the list of skills for a Drone Rigger to have, and of course it should be.

Gunnery, Electronic Warfare, Pilot: justabouteverything, Hardware. You can get by without any other skills, but of course life is kind of crappy as a Shadowrunner if you don't have at least a little bit of the Influence and Stealth groups.

Why Decrypt?

Decrypt should be on the list with Spoof as one of those programs used to screw with other riggers. If you just intend to pilot wanjinas around, you don't need it. But if you want to take control of other riggers' shiznit, you do.

-Frank
Gomez
Ok,
Lets take a look at the drones themselves.

For example.

GM-Nissan Doberman
The discription says that it is a medium sized crawler drone that is equally effective during daytime or nighttime. It comes equiped with one weapon (LMG or smaller) and Clearsight 3 and Targeting 3 Autosoft programs.

Handling:0
Accel: 10/25
Speed: 75
Pilot: 3
Body: 3
Armor: 6
Sensor: 3
Avail: 6
Cost: 3,000

Let's say it comes with a Ingram White Knight Light Machine Gun which normally costs 2,000 and the two Autosoft programs cost 600 each. Thats 2600 for the gun and the programs. I guess the drone itself is costs only 400???

So I would think that drone CAN be equiped with a LMG or small but that is already stated in the Weapon Mounts section on page 341.

Now the next thing. How is it that the drone is "equally effective during daytime or nighttime". Does it's sensors have low-light vision, etc? It doesn't say. But wait there is a section on Sensors on page 325! Lets look at that.

Sensor Packages. I guess the Doberman would be considered a small drone as there is no catigory for medium drones.

Mounted/Small Drone
Capacity: 5
Signal: 4

Page 212 says that a Signal Rating of 4 has a 1 km Signal Range. Boy lots of flipping around for stuff in this book.

Let's say that I want to increase the Sensor Rating of the Drone. Humm I don't know if you can do that because I cannot find it.

Sensor Functions take up Capacity in the Sensor Package. Ok. I want this guy to be good at night so there should be a night vision or thermographic function that I can add right?? Nope none here! One page 324 there are vision enhancements but can you add them to a Sensor Package?

One more thing.
I want to improve the Pilot rating on my drone. Page 321 gives me the costs. The drone already has a rating of 3 and to increase it to 4 costs 2500. This is getting pretty expensive! wink.gif
The Drone Rigger on page 92 has a GM-Nissan Doberman drone (well two) under his Vehicles & Drones section. Pilot 4, check. Signal 4, check. Firewall 4 and Response 4? Wait do I have to buy Firewall and Response for my drone as well or is it what ever the Pilot rating is? Can I increase the Firewall and not the Pilot rating if I want?

So many Questions. I think I need to write a Drone Buying Cheat Sheet to help myself out.
milspec
QUOTE (Gomez @ Jan 27 2006, 11:45 AM)
Let's say it comes with a Ingram White Knight Light Machine Gun which normally costs 2,000 and the two Autosoft programs cost 600 each. Thats 2600 for the gun and the programs. I guess the drone itself is costs only 400???

This made no sense to me. We ruled that it came with a weapon *mount* (a value of 2,500Y), not an actual weapon. The drone is ~1,000Y more expensive that the rest, IMHO because of its 6 points of armor.

An LMG would increase its availability and decrease it legality considerably.

milspec
milspec
QUOTE (Gomez)
I want to improve the Pilot rating on my drone. Page 321 gives me the costs. The drone already has a rating of 3 and to increase it to 4 costs 2500. This is getting pretty expensive! wink.gif
The Drone Rigger on page 92 has a GM-Nissan Doberman drone (well two) under his Vehicles & Drones section. Pilot 4, check. Signal 4, check. Firewall 4 and Response 4? Wait do I have to buy Firewall and Response for my drone as well or is it what ever the Pilot rating is? Can I increase the Firewall and not the Pilot rating if I want?

I would think you need to pay for the total cost of Agent 4 in order to get the functionality of Rating 4 Pilot. That means 10,000Y, not 2,500Y.

You would also need a System and Response increase to handle that rating 4 program: 2,000Y for System 4, and Response 4 for 2,000Y.

The reason you want an increased Firewall is because your stock Reponse 3 / Signal 3 / Firewall 3 / System 3 drone is pretty easy for a good hacker to break into:

Hacking Skill 5 + Exploit Program 5 + HotVR 2 = 12 dice (4 hits on average)
Firewall 3 + Admin Account 6 = extended test of 9.

That means in 3 combat *passes* the Hacker has compromised your drone. And he gets 3 passes per turn in Hot VR.

In summary: the drone is basically a commlink that walk/flies and shoots. You need to upgrade all of the commlink-related attributes in order to upgrade its Pilot, and you should probably have a Rating 5 Firewall on anything you really care about. (And Rating 5 Analyse to help detect break-ins, with requires a Rating 5 System and Response to run it on.)

Drones are expensive. They can also shoot LMGs at max range from the sky.

milspec
DireRadiant
QUOTE (milspec)
I would think you need to pay for the total cost of Agent 4 in order to get the functionality of Rating 4  Pilot.  That means 10,000Y, not 2,500Y.

You would also need a System and Response increase to handle that rating 4 program: 2,000Y for System 4, and Response 4 for 2,000Y.

For a Drone, I think Pilot = System. You don't buy system seperately. The Pilot is the dedicated System, a Drone Pilot can't leave the drone to act as an Agent in another node.

Out of Chargen:
Pilot 4 = 10,000 (Availability 12...)
Firewall 4 = 2,000
Response 4 = 2,000
Signal 5 = 1,000
ECCM 4 = 4,000 (To prevent Jamming)
Decrypt 4 = 4,000 (Useful for capturing the surrounding signal traffic)
Stealth 4 = 4,000 (To help against finding and tracking your drone)
Autosoft Maneuver 4 = 2,000
Autosoft Targeting 4 = 2,000
Autosoft Clearsight 4 = 2,000
Autosoft Defense 4 = 2,000
Autosoft Electronic Warfare 4 = 2,000

So a nice rating 4 drone, not including standard program costs, can run you 37,000 + the base cost of the drone. Add a nice sensor package for another 4,000 and you are getting to 45,000 for a very nice drone you are still going to want to upgrade as soon as you can to get a better pilot on it.
milspec
QUOTE (DireRadiant)
For a Drone, I think Pilot = System. You don't buy system seperately. The Pilot is the dedicated System, a Drone Pilot can't leave the drone to act as an Agent in another node.

Nice catch - thanks.

milspec
Gomez
For programs like ECCM, Decrypt, Stealth, etc. Can the Rigger just download the programs from his Commlink into his drones as needed? Or do you have to purchase each program for each Drone?
BlackHat
QUOTE (Gomez)
For programs like ECCM, Decrypt, Stealth, etc. Can the Rigger just download the programs from his Commlink into his drones as needed? Or do you have to purchase each program for each Drone?

You have to crack them first. But the rules make this retardedly easy.

Buy them once, share them with everything.
Brahm
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Jan 27 2006, 12:25 PM)
QUOTE (Gomez @ Jan 27 2006, 12:21 PM)

You have to crack them first. But the rules make this retardedly easy.

Buy them once, share them with everything.

To removed the retardation of ease I recommend that you read the rules, which are vague, as requiring you to crack for each working copy you make. So cracking isn't so much removing the protection as it is adapting the copy to the target by making a single copy of the license protection count.

Non-retarded GMing begets non-retarded RAW. smile.gif
BlackHat
Still doesn't take very long. Spending a few hours cracking software for a drone rather than spending thousands of nuyen re-buying it all is a no brainer.
Brahm
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Jan 27 2006, 12:31 PM)
Still doesn't take very long. Spending a few hours cracking software for a drone rather than spending thousands of nuyen re-buying it all is a no brainer.

With the open ended wording of the rules for cracking, software worth using should take close to an 8 hour day or more to copy for midling skill crackers. It doesn't make a huge difference with one or two drones with one or two programs. But outfitting an army of 8 or 10 drones with 4 or 5 programs will take a couple of months of dedicated work instead of less than a week.
mdynna
QUOTE (Gomez)

This is something that, again, isn't really clear. I would say "yes" but if you download a program to your drone it cannot be running on your Commlink. If you want it to be able to run on both locations then you must make a copy of the program according to the rules given for pirating software.
Demon_Bob
for those insane hackers I add an ICE program.
Abschalten
I think a Databomb program is a cheap but nice investment. Set it up on your drones and have it go off on intruders AND alert you to the attempt. Inconvenient for hackers, painful for Technomancers.
De Badd Ass
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
remeber that with digital wireless signals, ECM is as much about putting out oddball datapackages as it is about noice. and a general radio transmitter can turn into a ecm unit if you just feed it the right waveforms and similar, if it can put out the frequency range needed.

ECM is a very broad term...

and with a D/A converter hooked to the right kind of radio, a program can do a whole host of funny things...

Keep in mind that in Shadowrun 4, Riggers control drones via the matrix. You are talking about radio jamming the matrix - a good way to piss EVERYBODY off frown.gif

Use a spot jammer unless you want the sons of the FCC showing up on the scene.
De Badd Ass
QUOTE (milspec @ Jan 27 2006, 11:29 AM)

The reason you want an increased Firewall is because your stock Reponse 3 / Signal 3 / Firewall 3 / System 3 drone is pretty easy for a good hacker to break into:

Hacking Skill 5 + Exploit Program 5 + HotVR 2 = 12 dice (4 hits on average) Firewall 3 + Admin Account 6 = extended test of 9.

That means in 3 combat *passes* the Hacker has compromised your drone.  And he gets 3 passes per turn in Hot VR.

In summary: the drone is basically a commlink that walk/flies and shoots.  You need to upgrade all of the commlink-related attributes in order to upgrade its Pilot, and you should probably have a Rating 5 Firewall on anything you really care about.  (And Rating 5 Analyse to help detect break-ins, with requires a Rating 5 System and Response to run it on.)

My understanding is that it is not that easy to compromise a drone. Usually you want to do something after you access the drone, like give it commands.

The rigger can instruct the drone to only accept commands from his commlink, in which case the hacker has to spoof the drone by impersonating the rigger's commlink.

First, the hacker has to find the rigger and the drone in the matrix. The hacker has to complete a successful Matrix Perception Test to gain the rigger's access ID.

If the rigger and drone are operating in hidden mode (why wouldn't they?), then the hacker will need an Electronic Warfare + Scan extended test to find the rigger and the drone. Of course, the hacker has to be on the lookout for hidden devices in the first place. I'm assuming the the hacker already knows to look because the drone was spotted in the real world. The threshold is 15+

Oops, that's 2 tests; one to detect the rigger's commlink, and another to detect the drone.

If the Rigger deploys a bunch of cheap decoy drones to crowd the environment, then the hacker needs two Electronic Warfare + Scan extended tests to figure out which device is the rigger and which device is the target drone. The threshold is 15+

Then the hacker makes an opposed Matrix Perception test against the rigger's commlink: Computer + Analyse vs. Firewall + Stealth. The hacker needs to succeed before the Rigger detects him.

If the Rigger uses a passkey, then the hacker has to compromise the passkey before the drone will accept communications from the hacker. Now the hacker uses his Hacking + Exploit (Firewall+6, 1 Initiative Pass) Extended Test in order to gain the administrator level access required to obtain the passkey. The hacker needs to succeed before the commlink detects the attempt and alerts the Rigger. The commlink gets a free Analyze + Firewall(Stealth) Extended test time the rigger makes the Hacking + Exploit test.

The passkey will be encrypted, of course. The hacker needs to make a Decrypt + Response (Encryption rating * 2, 1 Combat Turn) Extended Test to break the encryption. Then the hacker needs to make a Hardware + Logic Extended Test (10, 1 day) in order to counterfeit the key.

I wonder if the Rigger will use a data bomb or IC to protect his commlink's passkey. The hacker better use a Matrix Perception Test to detect a data bomb just in case. This is another Computer + Analyze vs Firewall + Stealth. The hacker has to keep trying until he either detects the data bomb or decides that there is none. I guess a smart hacker will have figured out the rating of the commlink by this time, and can guesstimate the firewall and stealth program ratings.

If he finds a data bomb then he needs to make a Hacking + Defuse vs Data Bomb rating * 2. The hacker only gets one attempt. If he fails, the bomb explodes.

Now the hacker can go back and decrypt and counterfeit the passkey.

Finally, to spoof commands, the hacker uses Hacking + Spoof vs Pilot + Firewall.

Of course, if the Rigger and drone use encrypted commands, then the hacker needs encryption and decryption.

The Rigger should invest in commlink as that is his first line of defense. Get a stealth program, and operate in hidden mode. Get a hardware passkey.

--------------------------

Of course, if the hacker doesn't want to give commands to the drone then it is a different story.

In that case the drone is just another hidden node on the net. The hacker just needs to detect the drone as above, and use a Hacking + Exploit (Firewall, 1 Initiative Pass) Extended Test to break in.

Then he can use his Cybercombat + Attack vs Response + Firewall to try and crash the Pilot. The hacker needs to score 8 + (Pilot Rating/2) hits, 10 hits for an unmodified drone, to crash the pilot.

In this case, the hardest part is detecting the drone.
mfb
QUOTE (De Bad Ass)
First, the hacker has to find the rigger and the drone in the matrix. The hacker has to complete a successful Matrix Perception Test to gain the rigger's access ID.

are you sure? i'm not familiar with the rules for this situation, but logically, commlink ID is just a form of encryption. you should be able to decrypt it on the target drone as easily as you can decrypt anything else, no need to access the drone owner's commlink at all.
De Badd Ass
QUOTE (mfb @ Jan 30 2006, 01:41 AM)
QUOTE (De Bad Ass)

are you sure? i'm not familiar with the rules for this situation, but logically, commlink ID is just a form of encryption. you should be able to decrypt it on the target drone as easily as you can decrypt anything else, no need to access the drone owner's commlink at all.

The hacker only needs the accessID to spoof. I amended my previous post.

In any case the hacker needs to locate the drone on the net. If the drone is operating in hidden mode, this means the electronic warfare + scan test to locate a hidden node (the drone).

The rigger can buy microdrones at 1,000 yen a pop; equip them with pirated copies of his stealth 3 program, and turn them loose in hidden mode. The rigger can give them the exact same persona that he gave to his Steel Lynx. For the price of a rating 4 pilot upgrade, the rigger can buy 10 rating 3 decoys.

Logically, the hacker has a one in twelve chance of locating the Steel Lynx first. (Eleven drones and a rigger commlink). Otherwise, he can waste time crashing the Kanmushi's.

Of course, if the rigger is on a spy mission, then maybe the Kanmushi's aren't decoys at all. The hacker has to crash eleven Kanmushi's before one reahes the objective. Again, the rigger can buy 10 additional Kanmushi's for the same price it would cost to upgrade the pilot on the first one.

Then the hacker makes an opposed matrix perception test against the node, and a hacking + exploit extended test to break in.

After breaking in, the hacker can use his attack program to crash the pilot.

Of course, if the drone has an auto reboot.... I wonder how long it takes to start Windows CE 2070.
mfb
QUOTE (De Badd Ass)
The rigger can buy microdrones at 1,000 yen a pop; equip them with pirated copies of his stealth 3 program, and turn them loose in hidden mode. The rigger can give them the exact same persona that he gave to his Steel Lynx. For the price of a rating 4 pilot upgrade, the rigger can buy 10 rating 3 decoys.

the problem i see with that tactic is that the rigger would have no way of commanding his lynx without also commanding the decoys, which would be slamming into walls, bonking random pedestrians in the eye, etcetera. he could turn off the drones' ability to recieve instruction, but then he'd have to go around and collect them all manually after the run; plus, it'd be cake for an opposing hacker to find the lynx--just look for the one that's processing instructions recieved via radio. it'd take a while, i guess, and that might be worth it in and of itself, depending on the situation.
DireRadiant
Aren't there subscription limits?
Aku
yes, system*2 i beleive, but i think that only limits the number you can have active at the time, meaning, you could have a van full of drones, but still only have 8 or 10 out at a time, but if one goes down you subscribe to the next one and send it out.

i think.
De Badd Ass
QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (De Badd Ass)

the problem i see with that tactic is that the rigger would have no way of commanding his lynx without also commanding the decoys, which would be slamming into walls, bonking random pedestrians in the eye, etcetera. he could turn off the drones' ability to recieve instruction, but then he'd have to go around and collect them all manually after the run; plus, it'd be cake for an opposing hacker to find the lynx--just look for the one that's processing instructions recieved via radio. it'd take a while, i guess, and that might be worth it in and of itself, depending on the situation.

1. The drones all have a Pilot program, they can operate autonomously.

2. Networked computers know how to receive and ignore messages not addressed to them. It is the nature of wireless that a receiver receives everything transmitted on the frequency it is listening on. All that is required is an address in the packet header.

3. Hacking a commlink is just like hacking one specific cellphone: difficult if you know the location and telephone number of the cellphone in question, and a lot more difficult if you don't.

4. Hacking a commlink is like hacking one specific computer over the internet: difficult if you know the IP address and the MAC address, and a lot more difficult if you don't.
De Badd Ass
QUOTE (Aku)
yes, system*2 i beleive, but i think that only limits the number you can have active at the time, meaning, you could have a van full of drones, but still only have 8 or 10 out at a time, but if one goes down you subscribe to the next one and send it out.

i think.

If all else fails, the rigger can buy a second commlink.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012