Darkness
post Feb 8 2006, 12:16 AM
Post #46

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 248

@Serbitar, now i get your meaning.
*Head->Table*

We assume a body 8, will 3 troll, wearing 8 points of armor, having a 12 boxes physical and 10 boxes stun track.

With conversion rules in Effect (as per the RAW), if he's defending against 6 points of damage every time he's hit, he will go down after 10 hits (assuming average successes). Because he will deflect 5 points of damage (converted to stun) every time.

If we now assume the conversion rules "out of order", no conversion takes place, and all other factors remain the same. He will then go down after 12 hits (again assuming average successes), because he now deflects 5 points of physical damage every time.

So yes, he would last longer if the conversion rules weren't in effect. What that means to the game balance is another issue. But i now understand why you consider them unbalanced.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Feb 8 2006, 12:26 AM
Post #47

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,006

QUOTE (Darkness @ Feb 7 2006, 07:16 PM)
*Head->Table*

We assume a body 8, will 3 troll, wearing 8 points of armor, having a 12 boxes physical and 10 boxes stun track.

With conversion rules in Effect (as per the RAW), if he's defending against  6 points of damage every time he's hit, he will go down after 10 hits (assuming average successes). Because he will deflect 5 points of damage (converted to stun) every time.

If we now assume the conversion rules "out of order", no conversion takes place, and all other factors remain the same. He will then go down after 12 hits (again assuming average successes), because he now deflects 5 points of physical damage every time.

So yes, he would last longer if the conversion rules weren't in effect. What that means to the game balance is another issue. But i now understand why you consider them unbalanced.

That assumes the DV is homogenous, and it is always below the armor rating. Once you start varying the DV of the different shots things start looking very different under the RAW as the damage gets split out over the two tracks. If it isn't getting split out over two tracks but instead all Stun then the target likely has enough armor that they are taking very little actual damage anyways.

I would be happy to see said tank worry about being knocked unconcious before the level of violence was reached that made it basically unsurvivable by anyone that didn't have a like build. The old problem of the combat monster Troll getting everyone killed because the GM got tired of the Troll just waddling unscathed through the middle of every gun battle.

+Quote Post
Cold-Dragon
post Feb 8 2006, 12:29 AM
Post #48

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,780

I'm starting to lose track of what the heck we're all talking about now, heh. Maybe I should look back at the start...except this is turning into a two/three person fight now. I think I'll get the popcorn instead.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Feb 8 2006, 01:40 AM
Post #49

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

Serbitar, when framed in that narrow confine, you are definitely correct. Numerically it works out against the troll (though a smart troll should carry a high rating stim patch for just such an occasion) in that narrow case. The question is what amount of combat that case represents and what the benefits the troll stands to reap from the situation.

+Quote Post
Dr. K
post Feb 8 2006, 02:33 AM
Post #50

Target

Member No.: 8,242

My physical adept runner dishes both out well. ;)

+Quote Post
ThatSzechuan
post Feb 8 2006, 03:16 AM
Post #51

Target

Member No.: 5,581

QUOTE (Serbitar)
@Brahm

You are not reading what I am saying. Compare the conversion rule, where physical is converted to stun, with no conversion rule, where physical stays physical, and tell me what is better for the troll.

Then tell me that the conversion rules is balanced and works the way it is supposed to work.

If you can analyze anything in this very simple fact, then please tell me. Otherwise I tell you that you do not know what you are talking about.

ANd I am NOT talking about MY rules. This thread is simply about whether conversion rules are balanced and make sense or not.

Please read and think before you post. At the moment I have the impression that you deliberately want be funny by pretending not to understand anything.

I threw some rudimentary numbers together, with a maxed Body/Will Troll, and looked at the odds and average result of resisting 10 boxes of damage with 9 armor, 10 armor, and 17 armor [armor jacket, security helmet, ballistic shield, natural armor]

CODE
Body 15 = 15/2 = 7.5->8 + 8 = 16P
Will 6/2 = 3-> 3+8 = 11S

15+8+6+2+1 = 32 Soak, 17 armor
10S = 9.6 Successes, or 40% chance of 1 damage box, or 1/11th of capacity

15+6+2+2 = 25 Soak, 10 Armor
10S = 7.5 successes, or 50% chance of 3 damage boxes, 3/16Cap, and 50%
chance of 2 boxes, 2/16Cap.

15+6+2+1 = 24 Soak, 9 armor
10P = 7.2 Successes, or 80% chance of 3 damage boxes, 3/16Cap or
20% chance of 2 boxes, 2/16Cap.

1/11 = 0.09 Lasts 11 rounds
3/16 = 0.1875  Lasts 4 rounds on average [50/50 for 2boxes/3boxes]
2/16 = 0.125 7 rounds [4:1 3box:2box rounds]

The damage medium isn't specified, I just wanted a consistent level to test against. Basically, if this character is going for broke, the stun conversion isn't going to hurt them. The conversion hurts when you barely exceed the level needed for the attack, because the extra dice aren't enough to compensate for the proportionately lower damage track. I don't have much time or I'd test against a maxed out human and find their critical point, so to speak. [Though obviously against 10 boxes a max-tracked human will still fare worse on average than a max-tracked Troll.]

As for the proportions of this, bear in mind that the Troll here is shrugging off a blow that has a good chance of crippling or killing an average human, with not much more than a broken finger or a bad hangover.

+Quote Post
Serbitar
post Feb 8 2006, 09:04 AM
Post #52

Running Target

Member No.: 7,534

QUOTE (Darkness @ Feb 7 2006, 07:16 PM)
*Head->Table*

With conversion rules in Effect (as per the RAW), if he's defending against  6 points of damage every time he's hit, he will go down after 10 hits (assuming average successes). Because he will deflect 5 points of damage (converted to stun) every time.

Thanks, thats my point.

I am aware of the fact, that the situation gets complicated, when you mix damage that falls under the conversion rule and damage that doesnt, but that doesnt change the fact that the principle of the conversion rule is flawed, because of the reasoning mentioned above.

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Feb 8 2006, 03:01 PM
Post #53

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

Why not just join the two damage tracks? You get 8+(Body + will)/4 damage boxes (or whatever). Then just add your total damage taken togeter, if you fill up your damage boxes, your are incapacitated.

Example:
Joe Genero has 10 damage boxes
He takes 5 stun and 5 physical, he is KO'ed.

This rule may require some entension of the damage track +2-3 boxes?

+Quote Post
Cold-Dragon
post Feb 8 2006, 03:23 PM
Post #54

Moving Target

because if you do that, it sorta throws the whole' unconscious and living or unconscious and bleeding' bit out the window, and then it makes things more complicated as far as mages and several bits of ware go. How are you gonna adjust for that?

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Feb 8 2006, 04:19 PM
Post #55

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,773

Also you may as well call that a "hit point" system and remove the S or P designators completely.

Personally I like the two damage types, as it allows for a second dimension of damage-dealing. It could use some tweaks for added realism, sure, but at some point "ease of play" beats out realism.

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Feb 9 2006, 01:35 AM
Post #56

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

On the other hand, the unified damage system makes it easier to beat someone unconscious whom you have shot several times first.

You can be 'dying' with your condition monitor full of physical, or you can just be unconscious, with your physical + stun equalling your number of damage points.

+Quote Post
Cold-Dragon
post Feb 9 2006, 01:39 AM
Post #57

Moving Target

You may as well cut the two bars in half or something then to help keep track or use the DnD numbers and make it officially hit point based on a low scale. :P Or something like that, heh.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Feb 9 2006, 01:46 AM
Post #58

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

Or you could use a single damage track and put a single line through a box if you suffer stun and put two crossed lines (that is, an "X") in the box if you suffer physical.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Darkness
post Feb 9 2006, 02:15 AM
Post #59

Moving Target

Member No.: 248

Like in the WOD-System? ;)

+Quote Post
Space Ghost
post Feb 9 2006, 02:28 AM
Post #60

Moving Target

Member No.: 400

Just like exalted.
Stun damage = /
Physical Damage = X

So if you have three boxes of stun it reads: / / /
If you take two boxes of Phys you put an extra line through the first two slashes, and add the extra slashes onto the end of the track: X X / / /

This could make for interesting situations. Lets say you are dying (but awake) when an X reaches (10+Body) boxes, and fall unconscious when a / or an X reaches (10+Will) boxes. If your char has a higher Will than Body, he might be dying while awake, which should happen now and then. Once you start mixing Phys and Stun, it becomes way more likely that you will pass out long before you die since the / is always at the end of the track.

But then a super-high body only keeps you from dying, but doesn't keep you from passing out... That would even the playing field for humans. Not sure if that's a good thing.

+Quote Post
Cold-Dragon
post Feb 9 2006, 02:47 AM
Post #61

Moving Target

there's a reason a troll is given an advantage over humans, as well as disadvantages. balancing them back out just makes them ugly humans. :P

You coulds till bleed to death while awake by a simple GM decision. perhaps a particularly powerful shot hit something vital, or else a called shot did it?

+Quote Post
Guest_MK Ultra_*
post Feb 9 2006, 03:19 PM
Post #62

Guests

I got the devious idea last night, to inflict an equal amount of stun, everytime someone suffers physical (but not the other way round ;) ). If armor is high enough, the char only suffers stun as usual.

That way, physical DV attacks would slow the opponent down much more than only stun. maybe its a bit heavy, have to test it, but I like my games a bit more deadly and I allways liked stimpatches and my players seldom use them :)

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Feb 9 2006, 03:43 PM
Post #63

Shooting Target

We switched over from Fuzion to Shadowrun when the new SR edition came out, but Fuzion had an interesting damage-tracking element that I liked. That system (or at least, the version we were playing) also has two damage tracks. A tough human would have around 30 physical hit points and roughly equivalent stun hit points.

Basically for every 5 full points of physical damage you took, you also got a "free" point of stun. Likewise, for every 5 full stun you got a point of physical. If you took 4 or less points from any one attack, you didn't get any rollover damage.

Example: I kicked a guy for 9 points once. He marked down 9 boxes of stun and 1 box of physical. If I had managed to squeeze in an extra point somehow, he would have taken 10 boxes of stun and 2 boxes of physical.

That way you could beat someone down with your fists, and while they'd recover from the stun damage quickly there was still some comparatively minor trauma (cuts, abrasions, busted lips, etc.) that lasted for a while. Likewise if someone gets shot or stabbed a lot but not taken down, they'd have a chance to recover some stun and catch their "second wind" as the minor stun damage goes away long before the wounds are healed up.

Damage recovery was on a different scale than Shadowrun, though. Stun damage went away in a matter of seconds (so "stun" is more of a "shock and disorientation" thing) while physical damage healed at, like, one point per day.

Anyway, there's something else on the table for you guys looking for alternatives to the RAW's damage tracking.

+Quote Post
Guest_MK Ultra_*
post Feb 9 2006, 04:44 PM
Post #64

Guests

Interesting, I had ideas like this for a long wile, but never realized them in my games.

For SR, you could have 1 free for every 3 or so.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Feb 9 2006, 04:51 PM
Post #65

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

Which, of course, makes things more deadly.

For a similar, but less deadly, option, you could shift every third or fourth box to the other track, rather than adding a "free" box.

+Quote Post
Guest_MK Ultra_*
post Feb 9 2006, 04:53 PM
Post #66

Guests

I like deadly. Gunfights and Knifestitching are deadly! :evil:

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Feb 9 2006, 05:11 PM
Post #67

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk @ Feb 9 2006, 12:51 PM)
Which, of course, makes things more deadly.

Agreed.

I like the "for every 3" for sake of symmetry. People would be taking 33% more damage, though, so the damage tracks would need to be 33% longer to compensate. Longer damage tracks mean you might want to rework the damage penalties.

The "shift every fourth box" is initially appealing to me but it still needs some further thought. You're sort of delaying one point of penalty in exchange for stacking up a different penalty at a slower rate.

Using that would make stun damage take longer to recover from, physical damage quicker to recover from, and overall penalties would progress a little slower. I'm not saying any of that is bad or good; I'm just saying what would happen.

+Quote Post
Space Ghost
post Feb 10 2006, 12:15 AM
Post #68

Moving Target

Member No.: 400

Is there any way that the shifted damage could be based on the armor you're wearing? Maybe add another stat for armor, or use a fraction of its rating...

+Quote Post
ThatSzechuan
post Feb 10 2006, 12:18 AM
Post #69

Target

Member No.: 5,581

I'm considering a 2:1 conversion rather than a 1:1, and rounding as appropriate.

+Quote Post
Serbitar
post Feb 10 2006, 06:59 PM
Post #70

Running Target

Member No.: 7,534

QUOTE (Space Ghost @ Feb 9 2006, 07:15 PM)
Is there any way that the shifted damage could be based on the armor you're wearing? Maybe add another stat for armor, or use a fraction of its rating...

My rule does this: Add the full umodified impact rating every time armor is not pierced (and thus converted) to damage resistance.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 02:07 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.