Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wacky Useful Gizmos
Deadjester
post Feb 5 2006, 05:08 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,210

I was talking to a friend about runs in a corp and it would be interesting to have made a super powered grease gun on a mini tri-pod with a sensor.

If your run goes bad, just drop that in a corridor and run like hell, when the troops come running in behind ya, it will sense them and start shooting grease all over the floor.

Not leathel but sure to piss off security as well as slow them down.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Drace
post Feb 5 2006, 10:38 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,936

Now just imagine that its a fire elemental chasing you, or a runner with a sick sense of humour ignites it lol.

+Quote Post
Guest_MK Ultra_*
post Feb 5 2006, 04:06 PM
Post #3

Guests

why not just use chemical granades with slipspray ore something, way easier on the cred balance.

+Quote Post
Silo
post Feb 5 2006, 07:19 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,227

Yeah...the auto sensing feature seems to categorically increase the nuyen of the device. Not in a way that would make many want to leave it behind.

A spray device would probably work best...like a roach bomb. Flip the top, toss on the ground, and leave the area.

+Quote Post
Taki
post Feb 5 2006, 10:58 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,343

Make a simple adaption of something already existing :

Grease proximity mine !

+Quote Post
Hasaku
post Feb 6 2006, 03:59 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 197

Why wait for someone to show up before spreading the grease? Just use a spray bomb and be done with it.

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Feb 6 2006, 04:02 AM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

Aye, remember KISS, Keep it Simple, Stupid! :-D

+Quote Post
Taki
post Feb 6 2006, 02:43 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,343

QUOTE (Hasaku)
Why wait for someone to show up before spreading the grease? Just use a spray bomb and be done with it.

Because if someone see grease on the floor, he will decelarate and go on walking.
But if someone run in a corridor and sudently a splash paint the floor with slipery oil ....

+Quote Post
runefire32
post Feb 6 2006, 02:50 PM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 8,201

QUOTE (Taki)
QUOTE (Hasaku @ Feb 5 2006, 10:59 PM)

Because if someone see grease on the floor, he will decelarate and go on walking.
But if someone run in a corridor and sudently a splash paint the floor with slipery oil ....

But doesn't that still acomplish the job of slowing them down as well? Throw a coupld of them in a row while you're running....they have to walk through that large area or go around. Mission of slowing them down accomplished...

+Quote Post
Silo
post Feb 6 2006, 02:54 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

QUOTE (runefire32)
QUOTE (Taki @ Feb 6 2006, 09:43 AM)
QUOTE (Hasaku @ Feb 5 2006, 10:59 PM)

But doesn't that still acomplish the job of slowing them down as well? Throw a coupld of them in a row while you're running....they have to walk through that large area or go around. Mission of slowing them down accomplished...

but you don't get the humorous disply of the corp guards falling and sliding on their arses.

i'm a fan of grenades, personally.

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Feb 6 2006, 03:02 PM
Post #11

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,773

QUOTE (Taki)

Ya know, Improved Invisibility works on inanimate objects, too.

+Quote Post
Serbitar
post Feb 6 2006, 03:11 PM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 7,534

Monowire does the job, too. Permanently slowing them down.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Feb 6 2006, 03:22 PM
Post #13

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

Monowire takes time to set up though.

i have to say the normal grenade sounds like the best idea to me.

possibly mix it up with a few glue grenades too so they aren't sure if they need to go across slowly (grease, not to slip) or go across it fast (glue, your momentum will help you tear away from it).

either way, if you use standard chemical grenades, the AOE is large enough that it's gonna fill pretty much any normal hallway.

+Quote Post
Serbitar
post Feb 6 2006, 03:25 PM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 7,534

and combine them with smoke grenades/flashpacks

+Quote Post
neko128
post Feb 6 2006, 03:36 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,209

QUOTE (Jaid)
Monowire takes time to set up though.

i have to say the normal grenade sounds like the best idea to me.

possibly mix it up with a few glue grenades too so they aren't sure if they need to go across slowly (grease, not to slip) or go across it fast (glue, your momentum will help you tear away from it).

either way, if you use standard chemical grenades, the AOE is large enough that it's gonna fill pretty much any normal hallway.

Small monowire spool. Counterweight has universal adhesive (read: superglue), as does back of reel. Come around blind corner in corridor; remove adhesive-saving backing from counterweight, stick to wall; remove adhesive-saving backing from back of reel, pull across corridor, stick to opposite wall. Should take about 5 seconds, possibly including an Agility test to avoid sticking the reel to your fingers once the backing is off, and should be very close in cost to a monowire whip.

Or better yet, get a custom-built variant on a grapple gun; stick the reel to a wall, arm it, and have it shoot its OWN monowire across the corridor and automatically tension it while you're beating feet. Should take all of 2 seconds - simple action to prepare for adhesion (pull off backing), simple action to attach to wall.

As for the grenades... Give them a dumb commlink (in hidden mode), give them a really simple program. Deploy them in pairs (linked). Set them so, after they're armed, if an active PAN approaches within X meters, they go off; range determined by triangulation. Since everything's wireless by default anyway, you can argue this is a REALLY simple (read: software) mod of a standard off-the-shelf grease grenade.

In fact, with the relatively impressive intelligence of SRun-level gear's internal commlinks, just tell them "automatically link into a hidden PAN with any identical friendly grenades inside your (rather small) signal radius; and then, triangulating the range of any detectable wireless emissions, explode if any non-friendly one comes within X meters." Not complex instructions.

And there's always the standby; leave a wireless camera with them, and trigger them remotely when YOU see someone approaching.

Ahh, the joys of high-tech role playing games.

+Quote Post
neko128
post Feb 6 2006, 03:42 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Ooooo! Wait! Better yet! How about a monowire bolo pop-up mine? Set it for whatever kind of proximity trigger you want (network triangulation, motion detection, air pressure change - and if you think that doesn't work you're kidding yourself, visual identification, whatever); then, when it goes off, it pops up to whatever height you want, and uses small explosive charges (shotgun-shell size) to eject 6 counter-weights, each on one end of one of three small monowire bolos. They then whip around in an enclosed space, causing general mayhem and probably slowing down whoever's nearby.

Even better, make the counterweights bouncy. Think superballs of doom in an enclosed space. I mean, they'd get tangled, but only after having gotten to a wall and back again and through whatever's in the way...

Oooo, I like this idea...

+Quote Post
Silo
post Feb 6 2006, 03:56 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

QUOTE (neko128)
Ooooo! Wait! Better yet! How about a monowire bolo pop-up mine? Set it for whatever kind of proximity trigger you want (network triangulation, motion detection, air pressure change - and if you think that doesn't work you're kidding yourself, visual identification, whatever); then, when it goes off, it pops up to whatever height you want, and uses small explosive charges (shotgun-shell size) to eject 6 counter-weights, each on one end of one of three small monowire bolos. They then whip around in an enclosed space, causing general mayhem and probably slowing down whoever's nearby.

Even better, make the counterweights bouncy. Think superballs of doom in an enclosed space. I mean, they'd get tangled, but only after having gotten to a wall and back again and through whatever's in the way...

Oooo, I like this idea...

A new level of evilness has arisen. I like it.

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Feb 6 2006, 04:06 PM
Post #18

Shooting Target

QUOTE (neko128)

The bouncy mono-bolos get my vote.

+Quote Post
neko128
post Feb 6 2006, 05:38 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

And to combine the ideas... How about a monowire maze grenade?

Take a grenade-sized object. Install in it... Say, 10 3-meter spools of monowire, with a small explosively-propelled dart on it (think mini grapple gun, or small adhesive anchor). When it detonates, it simple shoots the darts out in every direction, and then tensions the mono-wires. You could set it so that every wire has as close as possible to an equal length (thus, the grenade would be suspended in mid-air) or just to equalize tension in its firing position (grenade would remain near the ground) or to intentionally pull it upwards (hide it by the ceiling)... Or say that 1/3 the grenades in a small group do each of those. Then, if you REALLY want to upset people, toss a few of these behind you; it'd create a nice little maze of mono-wires, like a web. I think it'd actually be less effective if it went off in the middle of a group of people (though it wouldn't be terribly pleasant having a monowire anchor adhere to or embed itself in your armor), but it'd certainly slow them down while they had to demolish the web. But if a cluster of these went off just as people were coming around a corner...

If you want to get fancy, how about chain monowire anchors? The main device shoots out... Say, four anchors, slightly larger than before. When they hit, each sends out two MORE from that point of impact. The first-stage anchors would have to be significantly larger to accomodate the spools of mono-wire...

Or, how about a modification of the bolo idea; instead of super-balls, the anchors are adhesive. So instead of a web all centered on the grenade, you get a set of monowire lines at random heights and angles across the entire hallway.

Oh, wow. When I get this campaign off the ground, my runners are going to learn to hate me.

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Feb 6 2006, 06:10 PM
Post #20

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

Now set off a grease grenade before the monowire maze grenade... watch them slide into the wires...

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Feb 6 2006, 06:21 PM
Post #21

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

The problem with monowire is that it doesn't make sense. Thus if you decide to create new ordnance based on it, it is impossible to rebuke you with logic. So I won't even try.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Feb 6 2006, 06:23 PM
Post #22

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

QUOTE (neko128)
And to combine the ideas... How about a monowire maze grenade?

Take a grenade-sized object. Install in it... Say, 10 3-meter spools of monowire, with a small explosively-propelled dart on it (think mini grapple gun, or small adhesive anchor). When it detonates, it simple shoots the darts out in every direction, and then tensions the mono-wires. You could set it so that every wire has as close as possible to an equal length (thus, the grenade would be suspended in mid-air) or just to equalize tension in its firing position (grenade would remain near the ground) or to intentionally pull it upwards (hide it by the ceiling)... Or say that 1/3 the grenades in a small group do each of those. Then, if you REALLY want to upset people, toss a few of these behind you; it'd create a nice little maze of mono-wires, like a web. I think it'd actually be less effective if it went off in the middle of a group of people (though it wouldn't be terribly pleasant having a monowire anchor adhere to or embed itself in your armor), but it'd certainly slow them down while they had to demolish the web. But if a cluster of these went off just as people were coming around a corner...

If you want to get fancy, how about chain monowire anchors? The main device shoots out... Say, four anchors, slightly larger than before. When they hit, each sends out two MORE from that point of impact. The first-stage anchors would have to be significantly larger to accomodate the spools of mono-wire...

Or, how about a modification of the bolo idea; instead of super-balls, the anchors are adhesive. So instead of a web all centered on the grenade, you get a set of monowire lines at random heights and angles across the entire hallway.

Oh, wow. When I get this campaign off the ground, my runners are going to learn to hate me.

How much would one of these cost?

+Quote Post
runefire32
post Feb 6 2006, 06:36 PM
Post #23

Target

Member No.: 8,201

QUOTE (stevebugge)

As the saying goes...

If you have to ask, you don't have enough...

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Feb 6 2006, 06:45 PM
Post #24

Shooting Target

QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
Now set off a grease grenade before the monowire maze grenade... watch them slide into the wires...

Yeeeeah.... at this point you're definitely venturing into the Rube Goldberg school of ordinance. Conventional grenades would be more reliable and less difficult to deal with. :)

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Feb 6 2006, 06:48 PM
Post #25

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

QUOTE (runefire32)
QUOTE (stevebugge @ Feb 6 2006, 01:23 PM)

As the saying goes...

If you have to ask, you don't have enough...

That was my thinking, it costs too much to make it a truly useful weapon (however nasty it sounds)

I like the grease or spray lubricant idea, and that can be done cheaply. One aerosol of cooking spray plus one 6 inch piece of tape to hold down the spray cap and voila you've got a grease bomb.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 03:47 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.